Message Boards

Topic : 04/24 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 2149
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 20, 2007, 02:36:22 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you know someone whose behavior always makes you scratch you head? Dr. Phil has advice for guests who wonder if their actions are out of control. Rev. Bob Larson has been performing exorcisms for over 30 years. He says he can’t believe how many people are possessed by the devil and need his help to save them from evil. Is the reverend just on a witch hunt, or can people truly be demon-possessed? Then, Nikkea says her boyfriend, Adam, lies so much, she has to watch his every move to see if he’s cheating. She checks his cell phone, home and work e-mails and text messages, and even checks the passenger seat of the car to see if it’s been occupied. Nikkea says she knows her behavior isn’t normal, so why can’t she stop snooping? And, in October 2004, Jon and Kate found out they were pregnant with sextuplets. The only trouble is, they already had twins! Jon and Kate show what it’s like to raise a large family in a new series on Discovery Health called Jon and Kate Plus Eight. Don’t miss the surprise that Dr. Phil has for the couple. Plus, is it normal for girls as young as 11 to make a commitment to remain a virgin until marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 21, 2007, 6:22 pm CDT

Demonic possession is Real

Anybody who has not been saved by the Blook of the Lord Jesus Christ is subject to being possed by satan, says so in the Word of God.

Believers (saved people) cannot be possessed but can be opressed.  And if your relying on your water baptism to save you - forget it - baptismal waters cannot save anybody - water baptism is an ordance - not a sacriment.

April 21, 2007, 6:34 pm CDT

This is normal

I do belive in demon possesion . I have seen for my self. This is what i think most of us belive in God and angels but not the devil and demons that makes no since to me . In order for there the to good there has to be evil This is what christianity teachs now if your not christian than of course this is not for you. The bible strickly teaches us there is an enemy that has been sent here to kill, stil, and destroy . and that he his here on earth. So is he by his self or does he have an army if God has an army im sure he does to. and about taking a vow to not have sex good for her and more young people should be doing the same thing and more parents should step up and educate there kids about this it is not a hobby I have 5 children 2 boys 3 girls and we have explained their bodys and sex to the since they were born of course on a level they can understand and it will progress as they get older the more the know the less they need to find out for their selfs and hopefully they will respect their body and the sme rules apply to my sons just as my girls i engourage parents to talk about all thing sex with their kids with bondries of coures the younger you start the easier it for you and them as they get older. Thank you fo your time i hope you have recieved something from this note.

April 21, 2007, 6:53 pm CDT

normal

first of all what does "normal" mean? average? happens a lot? or does it mean healthly, sane?
The question of whether or not it is normal for a young girl to pledge celibacy before marriage.. depends on your semantics. It probably isn't normal because a lot of people don't teach their kids biblical morality. God created sex and He knows how to live it out the best way.. only within the committment of marriage. That is the safest and the best way to do it. Abstinence is the only safe sex there is. It is a healthy, sane way for girls to look at sex and marriage.. to pledge celibacy until they find their life partner. It probably isn't average or normal but it is catching on and maybe it will be normal, everyday and average soon! It is such a disservice to teenagers and a slam and insult to say they cannot be celibate. It reduces them to the level of rutting animals acting out of instinct only. I appreciate teenagers and their intelligence.. I know they can make promises of celibacy and keep them.

April 21, 2007, 7:03 pm CDT

is this normal .. childhood knowledge

Quote From: mumsie4

I can't imagine that an 11 year old would have the maturity to understand what sexuallity is all about. I don't believe it is appropriate nor the time to discuss. The sex education that I recieved at that age was indeed clinical and matter of fact. Period.

We are forcing our children to grow up far too quickly by imposing adult information on them before their bodies and brains are ready. I at 16 still was not completely ready, but my mother, and my doctor soon educated me when I saw girls my own age beginning to tamper with sex, and getting pregnant. With the information, and a talk about virtue I was given the choice as to what sort of woman or girlfriend I decided to be.

I waited. I am never sorry, I had so many other things to think about. And being promiscuous seemed to me, to be very dangerous and not at all like something I would be proud of doing.

I was called a prude, and Frigid Franny and I had the confidence to laugh along with my friends at my beliefs!

I thank my parents for stepping in at the appropriate time. By observing me and listening to what I was sharing with them, they gave good parenting!
One needs to know the child and what they are capable of understanding. If the child is told truth at their level from the beginning going to sexuality and feelings is not too hard to understand.
It is all part of the process of understanding yourself sexually. We told our 12 year old from the beginning the truth and true names of body parts. She understands it at a 12 yr level and she has promised to be celibate until marriage. She is very open about her questions and it is something I am very proud of. She will be fine because she has truth and she has people she can ask for honest answers. She will make it to marriage and she will respect herself and understand herself because she has been given truth and love. The so called "truth" medically accurate route amazes me because it is not totally true. Just like Gore's so called documentary there are holes in their idea of truth. Truth means that is real and not opinion. Contraceptives fail and often don't protect against STD.. the only safe way is abstinence. Our girl will be safe. Good for your parents and your choices too. I had the same kind of ridicule.. and I didn't care.

April 21, 2007, 9:12 pm CDT

Purity

Quote From: dansfae

That type of dedication to purity does not really surprise me.  When I was raised I knew of reproduction, but nothing of sex.  I did not know it was supposed to be pleasureable or anything about desire.  I was only told he puts his thing in you.  Sex education at school told nothing of sex--only that sperm and egg got together to make a baby.  We were never told how. 

I was afraid of my parents.  Did not want to get in trouble.  At that point in time, highschool girls who got pregnant were sent away.  Then I went to college in the mid 60's and everything changed.  I had no social skills and therefor few dates.  Finally at age 21 I allowed myself to be what is now called date raped because I thought it was finally time.  I did not feel anything. 

Then I did meet a nice guy, learned what the experience was supposed to be and what desire and pleasure are, and went on to live a fulfilling sex life.

I do believe the purity thing exists.  Strong parents can lead naieve little girls who just want to please in this direction.

I too am sorry to hear that such a horrible thing happened to you.  No one should have to go through that.

I do have to say that your last comment comes across as a little biased.  Strong parents do have strong influences, but when you say it you make it sound like an extremely negative thing.  I had very strong parents and they encouraged me to commit to purity until marriage.  But I am offended that because of that I would be perceived as a "naive little girl." 

I made my pledge to virginity until marriage at the age of 13.  While encouraged by others, I made this commitment for myself, God, and my future spouse.  I upheld that commitment until my wedding night over 8 years later.  It was an honor and a joy to share that commitment with my husband and I am blessed and happy to say that he had also made the commitment and waited for me.  I saved myself a great deal of heartache and loss, and was free from fears of STDs or pregnancy my entire teen life.

So, do I think this is normal?  Well, normal seems to be a relative word.  It is normal in my world.  Eleven is young, but why wait until our children encounter these issues to address them?  Before going swimming I tell my 3 year old she can't go in the water alone.  I'm not going to wait to get to the pool without giving her any guidelines and just see what happens.  Why shouldn't we address these serious issues at an age appropriate level anytime. 

April 21, 2007, 11:18 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: thindi

first of all what does "normal" mean? average? happens a lot? or does it mean healthly, sane?
The question of whether or not it is normal for a young girl to pledge celibacy before marriage.. depends on your semantics. It probably isn't normal because a lot of people don't teach their kids biblical morality. God created sex and He knows how to live it out the best way.. only within the committment of marriage. That is the safest and the best way to do it. Abstinence is the only safe sex there is. It is a healthy, sane way for girls to look at sex and marriage.. to pledge celibacy until they find their life partner. It probably isn't average or normal but it is catching on and maybe it will be normal, everyday and average soon! It is such a disservice to teenagers and a slam and insult to say they cannot be celibate. It reduces them to the level of rutting animals acting out of instinct only. I appreciate teenagers and their intelligence.. I know they can make promises of celibacy and keep them.
DARE programs have been being shut down all over the country because it doesn't work. Having kids pledge to do something at the age of 11-12 does not work. Kids who took the DARE pledge to not do drugs have the same amount of drug use as those who didn't take that pledge.  This is why these programs are being shut down, they are a waste of money...they do not work.

Making a young person pledge publicly to something so private, like sex, strikes me as a little icky.

The best thing to do is to teach kids about sex, what it is, what it's for, the TRUTH of it, the consequences of it, how to protect themselves, including just abstaining from sex all together. But kids NEED to be armed with all of their information so if they choose to NOT abstain from sex they are fully armed with KNOWLEDGE.

This is not about the intelligence of teens, this is about the impulsiveness of the teen brain. This is about the underdevelopment of frontal lobes. Knowledge will help kids make better choices, not silly little pledges.

April 21, 2007, 11:21 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: thindi

One needs to know the child and what they are capable of understanding. If the child is told truth at their level from the beginning going to sexuality and feelings is not too hard to understand.
It is all part of the process of understanding yourself sexually. We told our 12 year old from the beginning the truth and true names of body parts. She understands it at a 12 yr level and she has promised to be celibate until marriage. She is very open about her questions and it is something I am very proud of. She will be fine because she has truth and she has people she can ask for honest answers. She will make it to marriage and she will respect herself and understand herself because she has been given truth and love. The so called "truth" medically accurate route amazes me because it is not totally true. Just like Gore's so called documentary there are holes in their idea of truth. Truth means that is real and not opinion. Contraceptives fail and often don't protect against STD.. the only safe way is abstinence. Our girl will be safe. Good for your parents and your choices too. I had the same kind of ridicule.. and I didn't care.
Does your daughter understand contraceptives and how they work in case she doesn't "make it to marriage"?

April 22, 2007, 12:32 am CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: ceildh1

Here it is the twetifirst century, and we STILL belive in Demonic Posession anytime I hear things like this I wonder where the vortex to the Mideval Period opened up and when I dropped into it.  Just another way to excuse bad behavior, maybe getting hit in the head with a Bible is to knock some sense into them ? You could accomplish that with any book.

I really get pissed at these preachers that decide these people that need PROFESSIONAL help are posessed, instead of doing the responsible thing and directing them to the help they need, they decide to perform an exorcism preying on a person who is vulnerable in both body and mind, at one time Epilepsy in all its forms were considered demonic posession, and the girls of Salem were reacting to a fungus growing in the rye they ate.  Look if these exorcisms were real, we would have no need for Hospitals for the mentally ill.

Virginity contracts ?  I don't get that one at all, I mean what happens if they lose their virginity at eighteen ? Do they get kicked out of their families ? Their church ?  Can they be sued if they break the contract? Seriously, I know its possible to stay chaste until marriage, many manage to, but many more don't but personally I don't need a church or minister to tell me what to teach my kids or how to live.

"Here it is the twetifirst century, and we STILL belive in Demonic Posession anytime I hear things like this I wonder where the vortex to the Mideval Period opened up and when I dropped into it."

Me too!!!

April 22, 2007, 6:48 am CDT

Just my opinion.

When it comes to being possessed by demons, I just don't know. Although these are 2 different things, I feel about demon possession like I feel about UFO's. I have personally never seen a UFO. There are a lot of people who claim they have. I have never been demon possessed nor do I know anyone who claims to have been demon possessed. Other than the Exorcist,I have never seen an excorcism. That being said how does a priest know for sure that a "possessed" person is not mentally ill and needs counseling and medication? Seems like there's a lot of room for misdiagnosis. As my kids were growing up I tried to teach them age-appropriate as I saw it. Neither one of them at 11 would have been mature enough to sign a virginity plege. As teens we talked to them about being responsible about sexual behavior-birth control stds.Of course abstinance was the first option. But the thing is kids grow into young adults and they are going to be faced with situations that ultimately will be thier own choice to make. So I think it is a parent's responsibility to cover all bases. I personally don't think that abstinence is enough to tell them about. Having said that, I will say that is not the Baptist belief. They pretty much believe in teaching abstinence. I am a Christian and I have a brain(I'm always talking about my brain!) But I can be a Christian and be a responsible parent also.The reason I mention Baptist is because I was baptised into the Baptist faith at age 18. As the years have gone by, I find myself disagreeing with things here and there.

April 22, 2007, 7:05 am CDT

Demons

Quote From: twinsma546

I get really angry when people talk about being possesed by the devil. Like that grandfather on Dr. Phils show who claimed he molested his grandaughter because he was possesed. This is such a convenient way for people who do horrible things to get away with them. Because Judeo- Christian religions are so prevalent too many people want to believe that this really does happen. The truth is that people are sick with mental illness, some more extreme than others.  Those that claim to be possesed I believe love the attention and drama that comes with exorcism as well as the endless excuse they have for their behavior which they are really not willing to give up. This is just another (creative) form of denial and not taking responsibility. It comes to no surprise to me that so many churches recognize demon possesions now that all of the priests and ministers are being outed for sexually abusing children in the congregation. I would be willing to bet that this minister who is exorcising demons from all of these people has some skeletons in his own closet!

I SO AGREE WITH you this is a lame and creative attempt to blame someone other than themselves and not take full responsibilty for their actions. There is a god and a devil ok I agree that is possible but anyone who is doing that thinking that they are possessed doing wrong doings there again should look within themselves... I have a hard time with someone saying they are possessed and doing something wrong then ask for forgiveness through exocerisms and etc.. just ridcilous and downright to stupid nonsense

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last