Message Boards

Topic : 04/24 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 2149
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 20, 2007, 02:36:22 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you know someone whose behavior always makes you scratch you head? Dr. Phil has advice for guests who wonder if their actions are out of control. Rev. Bob Larson has been performing exorcisms for over 30 years. He says he can’t believe how many people are possessed by the devil and need his help to save them from evil. Is the reverend just on a witch hunt, or can people truly be demon-possessed? Then, Nikkea says her boyfriend, Adam, lies so much, she has to watch his every move to see if he’s cheating. She checks his cell phone, home and work e-mails and text messages, and even checks the passenger seat of the car to see if it’s been occupied. Nikkea says she knows her behavior isn’t normal, so why can’t she stop snooping? And, in October 2004, Jon and Kate found out they were pregnant with sextuplets. The only trouble is, they already had twins! Jon and Kate show what it’s like to raise a large family in a new series on Discovery Health called Jon and Kate Plus Eight. Don’t miss the surprise that Dr. Phil has for the couple. Plus, is it normal for girls as young as 11 to make a commitment to remain a virgin until marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 17, 2007, 6:02 am CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: barbarawillis

appearently you didn't watch the whole show or picked and chose what you wanted to hear.  He was pretty clear later on that he supports education about sex...in fact I think his words were I dare say my daughters know more facts and information about sex than most young people.  Which was also confirmed by a comment that one or both of the girls said.  Basically that they wanted to be sure people knew that they have learned a lot about sex and that is why they choose abstinence.  Anyhow...I know many people who come from this kind of backround and perspective or you might say belief system...and I KNOW first hand that those who promote waiting for sex 'till marraige ARE more informed than their "pro-promiscuity" counterparts. 

I am positive there was no reference made by any "teenage-girl" in this show to having her Dad hold her all night...and if so then this person would NOT represent the beliefs of the people who promote waiting for sex until marraige!!  I seriously think you're making stuff up now!

Im not making anything up.  Why would I do that?  Here are excerpts from the show.  If you desire to read it for yourself, click on "Find out what happened on the show".

Jordyn, Randy's 18-year-old daughter, says, "Just the other night, he was holding me before I went to bed..."

"Where do you come down on sex education and those kinds of life skill issues?" Dr. Phil asks.         "I think sex education really diminishes these things." 

May 17, 2007, 6:42 am CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Well that sounds odd to say the least I NEVER IN MY LIFE have heard of one person who believes in waiting for marraige who would think of doing such a thing with an older daughter unless maybe this happened when she was a baby and he was rocking her to sleep telling her she's beautiful?  This type of behavior would ABSOLUTELY NOT be accepted in any church or conservative group I have ever met!  This is truely a first for me and I hope very much that some really "sick" person is not trying to represent the values of fidelity and chastity to the world through Dr Phill.

As to the statistic of unwed motherhood being highest in southern states, it is not scietific by any stretch to assume that teaching "abstinence only" makes more unwed mothers.  It could be that in Southern states there are less young unwed mothers who would kill their children through abortion than the other states and that the "education" is not changing the teen sex rate at all.  It bothers me though that people state unwed motherhood as an end all be all evil and ignore the damage that early sexual activity can and does do to people.  Of course part of that may be that the damage from sexual promiscuity is less "observable" or measurable and more of a lifelong emotional, spiritual and psycological issue and therefore less measurable than unwed mothers are. 

She wasnt a baby being rocked to sleep, she was an 18 year old.  (as previously shown from the show write up)

I have a 16 year old daughter.  She hasnt wanted daddy to lay down with her for over 10+years.  She wants daddy to take her fishing, go on walks, give her some flowers and chocolates every now and then, and hug and kiss her when shes sad or just because.  Laying down in BED with her while "staring in here eyes telling her how beautiful she is" would FREAK her OUT!  (not to mention me as well)

May 23, 2007, 10:54 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Well we agree on a few points it seems then, I agree that the best policy is to promote absinence and educate well about STD's and birth control and success/falure rates of various methods as long as those success failure rates are also compared side by side with the success/failure rate of pregnancy using NO birth control so teens get an acurate idea of just how "safe" birth control is and also teaching young people the literal size of the various STD infections (on the partical level) as compared to the size of the "holes" or gaps in the condum material for instance as well as the potental harmful side effects of all birth control methods.  Of course, though I doubt that in many of this countries public schools there is enough education and open discussion about the real implications of early sexual activity or sexual activity outside marraige and how it can and does harm future relationships.

I also agree that the "purity ball" as described by the Dr Phill show is a creapy thing....however I have never heard of such a thing before this, I have heard of father daughter and mother son nights out and from my personal experience they were much more about learing what the Bible has to say about abstinence and hearing from other people about personal experiences and reasons why waiting is best, and just regular bonding with your child than some ceramony and giving jewelry or whatever.  I find this odd too, however doubt that it was portraed acurately at all!!!

Honestly I do not have statistics all ready for you, I have heard that the divorce rate among christians is the same as the population at large but not higher.  I know that staistics are easily skewed if someone wants to "prove" a certain point with the statistic.  One thing to keep in mind is that many people in the US concider themselves "christian" by meerly being born in the US or because they go to church once a year or know who Jesus was but many of them are not committed to living a Christian lifestyle.  Frankly I don't care though I am much more interested in the wisdom of my grandparents and great-granparents and the wisdom of those who DID live a full happy and healty life.  Advise from those who made it to their 50 year anniversary, raised happy healthy kids, etc... I am most interested in the wisdom of the God who created us. Certainly more than in any statistic you have, although I would certainly take them into account and use them as tools to see where as a society we can try and improve.  We all are flawed and will make mistakes in our life, I just hope to pass on to my children caution about the choices they make, educate them and then pray they make good decisions and be there to help them out in any way possible when they do make a mistake.  I think the real problem is that as a society we have come to view sex as the "animals" do and we should be more evolved than that.....our society tells people to have sex pretty much whenever or wherever they want and I say....hold on....lets use some caution here....that's all the idea of a purity ball is about....excercizing extreeme caution in a very important area of sexual behavior.  It is about setting a high goal and promising to try and reach it, really no different than parents offering rewards for getting good grades, or allowence for doing their chores, our society has many ways to reward good behavior, this is another way to do so.  Again, the actual purity ball portayed on Dr Phill is not "mainstream"or the Dr Phill show didn't portray it acurately...which is hard to do in such a small ammount of time.

"our society tells people to have sex pretty much whenever or wherever they want and I say....hold on....lets use some caution here....that's all the idea of a purity ball is about....excercizing extreeme caution in a very important area of sexual behavior."

So you want to combat one extreme with another?

"Again, the actual purity ball portayed on Dr Phill is not "mainstream"or the Dr Phill show didn't portray it acurately...which is hard to do in such a small ammount of time."

The Purity Ball that was portrayed on this episode of Dr Phil is EXACTLY mainstream for this kind of event and it WAS accurately portrayed. Go check out Randy Wilson's website yourself! You can see for yourself that this was portrayed EXACTLY as it is, in real honest truth. And guess what...there is going to be an estimated 3000 of these exact kinds of dances this year.

May 23, 2007, 11:00 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Well that sounds odd to say the least I NEVER IN MY LIFE have heard of one person who believes in waiting for marraige who would think of doing such a thing with an older daughter unless maybe this happened when she was a baby and he was rocking her to sleep telling her she's beautiful?  This type of behavior would ABSOLUTELY NOT be accepted in any church or conservative group I have ever met!  This is truely a first for me and I hope very much that some really "sick" person is not trying to represent the values of fidelity and chastity to the world through Dr Phill.

As to the statistic of unwed motherhood being highest in southern states, it is not scietific by any stretch to assume that teaching "abstinence only" makes more unwed mothers.  It could be that in Southern states there are less young unwed mothers who would kill their children through abortion than the other states and that the "education" is not changing the teen sex rate at all.  It bothers me though that people state unwed motherhood as an end all be all evil and ignore the damage that early sexual activity can and does do to people.  Of course part of that may be that the damage from sexual promiscuity is less "observable" or measurable and more of a lifelong emotional, spiritual and psycological issue and therefore less measurable than unwed mothers are. 

"As to the statistic of unwed motherhood being highest in southern states, it is not scietific by any stretch to assume that teaching "abstinence only" makes more unwed mothers."

LOL, yes, teaching abstinence only would logically create a LOT of unwed mothers. After all, you don't learn about birth control in abstinence only education. You don't learn about sexual alternatives to intercourse. You don't learn about anything except waiting to do it.

"It bothers me though that people state unwed motherhood as an end all be all evil and ignore the damage that early sexual activity can and does do to people."

I'll be honest here, I would rather consenting people go around having lots of sex, getting emotionally hurt and even getting diseases than bringing innocent unplanned children into the world. To me that's worse, because the baby is innocent.

And what damage are you talking about outside of disease anyway? Broken hearts? Confusion? Hurt feelings? That can happen WITH OUT sex and it can happen WITH IN marriage.

May 30, 2007, 1:41 pm CDT

Clearity

Quote From: leahml

your quote:

"She is now 19 and she has kept her promise. It is a source of great pride for her. The then BF did not and now has a baby.  He will have to face God with that."

Its nice that you are openly proud of your daughter, however I find it despicable that you think she is somehow better than her ex-boyfriend.  Hopefully when he faces God with "that" he will realize that he has nothing to be ashamed up as children are gifts from God and ARE NOT TO BE ASHAMED OF.

As a single mom who has been the target of your type of judgement I say no thank you, and I look forward to meeting up with God and facing him with the decisions I have made in my life.

I am the product of unwed parents. I did not intimate that she is any better then him. He made a decision and must and will answer for it just like we all will for all of our decisions good and bad. I was a blessing to my parents and my daughter is a blessing to me and her father. Diffrent is not good or bad it is just diffrent. The BF made a diffrent decision. His made his life more challanging for himself, his parents and her and her family as well at his age. I am just happy that my daughter has made a decision to keep her promise and keep her life less complicated until she has the full intention and capability to handle such a choice.

June 1, 2007, 1:35 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: hugamoosemom

I am the product of unwed parents. I did not intimate that she is any better then him. He made a decision and must and will answer for it just like we all will for all of our decisions good and bad. I was a blessing to my parents and my daughter is a blessing to me and her father. Diffrent is not good or bad it is just diffrent. The BF made a diffrent decision. His made his life more challanging for himself, his parents and her and her family as well at his age. I am just happy that my daughter has made a decision to keep her promise and keep her life less complicated until she has the full intention and capability to handle such a choice.
So why point it out at all then?

June 12, 2007, 8:25 pm CDT

Matthew,Luke,Acts

To answer the question,   Can people be possessed?  Yes they can.  Matt 4:24  reads His fame went throughout all Syria, they brought to him all sick people afflicted with various diseases, torments and those who were demon-possessed epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them.    We all have purposes and gifts given by God Lord of Lords.   Jesus resurrection has given  those who've chosen to pick up their cross all power including healing in the ability to cast out demons.  It's said the eyes are the windows to the soul.  If we really took the time to look deeper into the eyes of our fellow man as we go throughout our day we'd see souls in torment, confusion ,loneliness,pain,sickness and demons.  I believe we choose not to look so we don't have to take time out to care so it doesn't become our concern.   But then are we truly living, feeling, breathing this life that Jesus died to give us?    For more info. on possession see Matt 8:16, 9:32, 12:22; Luke 8:36; Acts 16;16                               

Sincerely,    Sannalou                                                                                           

January 8, 2008, 11:09 am CST

Oeps!

Dr. McGraw thought that excorcism was (more) normal and accepted outside of the united states, while them americans would be more sceptical. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? the rest of the world are just like people in the USA (except we have environmentally friendlyer cars, homes and businesses, and have a better cuisine), we to are more or les sceptical about excorsism. This is such a blow in my face from Phil ;)

March 25, 2008, 7:10 pm CDT

Purity

Is there any purity balls for boys or is it just for the girls? It seems that we live in a society where women are look down upon when they have sex or are promiscuous and when men have sex or are promiscuous, then they get praise for it from society and culture. This double standard of sex and purity with men and women has been around forever in culture. It seems that purity and virginity is address and praise more among girls then it is to boys. I have nothing against purity balls, but is purity more then just something physical or is it more of a emotional and mental commitment with God? Being physically pure or being a virgin till marriage, does not nesscary make you pure or fulfill at heart. I know I'm probably going out of the subject, but women (or people in general) are more then just physical objects for sex. To me, the purity balls are suggesting that women are only physical objects. Whether virgin or not, anyone can be pure at heart. I believe another problem with religion and culture is that people are taught that sex is love. Just because someone wait to have sex before marriage, does not mean that the marriage is going to last. Sex can play a small part of love and marriage, but it is not love. The sexualized culture that we live in and other opposite extremes like the purity balls and abstinence only programs both have one thing in common. They both suggest the women or people, in general, are just physical or sex objects. I believe that being a virgin or not does not characterized a person.

First | Prev | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | Next Page | Last Page