Message Boards

Topic : 04/24 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 2149
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 20, 2007, 02:36:22 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you know someone whose behavior always makes you scratch you head? Dr. Phil has advice for guests who wonder if their actions are out of control. Rev. Bob Larson has been performing exorcisms for over 30 years. He says he can’t believe how many people are possessed by the devil and need his help to save them from evil. Is the reverend just on a witch hunt, or can people truly be demon-possessed? Then, Nikkea says her boyfriend, Adam, lies so much, she has to watch his every move to see if he’s cheating. She checks his cell phone, home and work e-mails and text messages, and even checks the passenger seat of the car to see if it’s been occupied. Nikkea says she knows her behavior isn’t normal, so why can’t she stop snooping? And, in October 2004, Jon and Kate found out they were pregnant with sextuplets. The only trouble is, they already had twins! Jon and Kate show what it’s like to raise a large family in a new series on Discovery Health called Jon and Kate Plus Eight. Don’t miss the surprise that Dr. Phil has for the couple. Plus, is it normal for girls as young as 11 to make a commitment to remain a virgin until marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 22, 2007, 6:16 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: housewife52

When it comes to being possessed by demons, I just don't know. Although these are 2 different things, I feel about demon possession like I feel about UFO's. I have personally never seen a UFO. There are a lot of people who claim they have. I have never been demon possessed nor do I know anyone who claims to have been demon possessed. Other than the Exorcist,I have never seen an excorcism. That being said how does a priest know for sure that a "possessed" person is not mentally ill and needs counseling and medication? Seems like there's a lot of room for misdiagnosis. As my kids were growing up I tried to teach them age-appropriate as I saw it. Neither one of them at 11 would have been mature enough to sign a virginity plege. As teens we talked to them about being responsible about sexual behavior-birth control stds.Of course abstinance was the first option. But the thing is kids grow into young adults and they are going to be faced with situations that ultimately will be thier own choice to make. So I think it is a parent's responsibility to cover all bases. I personally don't think that abstinence is enough to tell them about. Having said that, I will say that is not the Baptist belief. They pretty much believe in teaching abstinence. I am a Christian and I have a brain(I'm always talking about my brain!) But I can be a Christian and be a responsible parent also.The reason I mention Baptist is because I was baptised into the Baptist faith at age 18. As the years have gone by, I find myself disagreeing with things here and there.

I agree with you, and these things need to be taught to BOTH boys and girls.

I think sometimes we forget, girls don't get pregnant by themselves (at least not according to my health and biology teachers ) and if they get an STD, they received it from someone, I think we forget that.

Abstinence I agree is the best option, if you want to avoid getting pregnant or an STD, then we hit reality.  Our children grow up, go away to college in some cases and in many of these cases when they are finally out from under their parent's watchful eyes, they go wild and unless you're going to college with them, they are not going to tell you EVERYTHING, that's reality, how many of you as adults tell your parents EVERYTHING ?

I think and belive we have to arm them, like you said as responsible parents, we have to give them cold hard FACTS cause cure and prevention because unless you follow them EVERYWHERE and keep them locked in your home, if they want to they will find a way and no "Pledge" is going to stop them, in my experience with teens both raising them, and working daily with them, the best way to get them to try something like having sex is to make it some type of forbidden thing shrouded in mystery, these are the kids most likely to be irresponsible about their sexuality, no parent wants to think of their child as being a sexual creature like the rest of us, but reality is rearing its ugly head in the form of teen pregnancies and the spread of STD's, our children need FACTS, cold hard facts.

April 22, 2007, 6:19 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: penny_lady

Exactly, I couldn't agree more.  Information is power, kids are impulsive, they aren't going to abide by some promise they made at puberty. But real knowledge might be there for them...might help them to do the right thing.

I made a similar promise, repeatedly in church growing up. I had sex at 16. I DID use a condom though. I wasn't taught as much as I should have been, not by a long shot, but I do remember my dad saying "don't compound the problem, at least protect yourself if you are stupid enough to have sex.".....not the best words in the world, but enough to make me use a condom.

I was told next to nothing, and ended up pregnant at 15 years old, who would've thought you could get pregnant the first time  huh ?  I actually didn't think I could at the time, I wasn't told any different.

My 17 year old daughter told me, "if you and Dad like it, it can't be that great ", hehe.

April 22, 2007, 6:26 pm CDT

Yup

Quote From: gwarrior6

They do need to be taught EVERYTHING.  Birth control, including abstinence and Natural Family Planning, as well as the pill, the shot, the implants (Norplant), the anatomy of sex, pregnancy and diseases and what protects from pregnancy versus what protects from diseases (which are two different things altogether).

Actions speak louder anyway.  You give them the info, and the choice, then it's up to them. 

"They do need to be taught EVERYTHING....what protects from pregnancy versus what protects from diseases (which are two different things altogether)."

Very, very true...it seems as though that line gets blurred frequently. I would also add, as another poster alluded to, teaching about the emotions of sex, not just the mechanics of "doing it." I have used this aspect with my 11 y/o (no pressure, no "commandments," just one of many discussions): If you don't know yourself terribly well as a teen (and who does), how do you really think you can truly know another?

Truly, it's up to them...I cannot see myself chaperoning a college-age woman in her dorm, or a 20-something out on her own.

April 22, 2007, 6:40 pm CDT

Exorcism

Yes, exorcism is real BUT!!!

There are two extremes.

First, there are those who reject exorcism as being only an invention of the church, or because of no scientific evidence, or because they reject the spiritual realm.  I simply say that science deals with the physical world, as does psychology, and this is a spiritual problem.

Second, there are those who see demons under every rock, therefore they see every problem as demonic in origin.

I've seen real exorcisins, one very graphic one when I worked as a student chaplain in a mental hospital.  But, with all the many mentally disturbed people, only one was rooted in a demonic problem.  It takes true discernment (a gift from the Holy Spirit) to detect which is which.  And I repeat, I only saw one that received a significant deliverance during the year I worked as a student chaplain in a mental hospital.  I never attempted another deliverance (I prefer this term to exorcism) for I never saw the need!

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, and don't go to the extremes due to inadequate knowledge of the subject.  I have a Seminary study paper I wrote on the ministry of deliverance I'm willing to share.

Sincerely, Dr. Richard Held

April 22, 2007, 7:17 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: carolll

I believe that people who think the devil, posession, exorcisms, etc. are rubbish are living under a rock!!   Just because you refuse to believe something you can't actually see does not mean it isn't  real.  Trust me... I have witnessed Bob Larson doing exorcisms (actually called deliverence) on quite a few occassions and IT IS REAL!!!!!   Things happen while you're there that can not possibly be staged.  Of course the devil doesn't want you to believe it's real because then you might be set free from his bondage.  I've seen the people before and after and they are completely different and so thankful to be free.

No we are not living under a rock, we have beliefs as you do, and to assume that we have not witnessed these so called deliverances ,exorcisms whatever you wish to call them really isn't a fair assumption is it ?  There are many of us who do not discount anything without reading about it or witnessing it for ourselves, there are those of us who have been to these churches and have listened to these ministers, seen this "work" being done, and have decided for ourselves that we do NOT belive, and there will probably be those on the board that have been raised in this belief that no longer belive.

Look I enjoy a good magic show, Kris Angel does things that wow people, and like any good magician he isn't going to reveal how its done, what he does LOOKS real, but it is smoke and mirrors.

April 22, 2007, 9:27 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

I believe that people who think the devil, posession, exorcisms, etc. are rubbish are living under a rock!!   Just because you refuse to believe something you can't actually see does not mean it isn't  real.  Trust me... I have witnessed Bob Larson doing exorcisms (actually called deliverence) on quite a few occassions and IT IS REAL!!!!!   Things happen while you're there that can not possibly be staged.  Of course the devil doesn't want you to believe it's real because then you might be set free from his bondage.  I've seen the people before and after and they are completely different and so thankful to be free.
You do know there is a giant spider sitting on top of your head this very instant right? But he's invisible, and you can't feel him....but he is there. Trust me on that.

April 22, 2007, 9:28 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: drheld

Yes, exorcism is real BUT!!!

There are two extremes.

First, there are those who reject exorcism as being only an invention of the church, or because of no scientific evidence, or because they reject the spiritual realm.  I simply say that science deals with the physical world, as does psychology, and this is a spiritual problem.

Second, there are those who see demons under every rock, therefore they see every problem as demonic in origin.

I've seen real exorcisins, one very graphic one when I worked as a student chaplain in a mental hospital.  But, with all the many mentally disturbed people, only one was rooted in a demonic problem.  It takes true discernment (a gift from the Holy Spirit) to detect which is which.  And I repeat, I only saw one that received a significant deliverance during the year I worked as a student chaplain in a mental hospital.  I never attempted another deliverance (I prefer this term to exorcism) for I never saw the need!

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, and don't go to the extremes due to inadequate knowledge of the subject.  I have a Seminary study paper I wrote on the ministry of deliverance I'm willing to share.

Sincerely, Dr. Richard Held

How convenient that the "spiritual realm" cannot be tested...LOL

April 22, 2007, 9:49 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

"Things happen while you're there that can not possibly be staged."

Like what..

April 23, 2007, 1:17 am CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: rach4god

Although I do believe 11 years old is a little to young to understand what you are promising to do or not do. I do beleive in the promise to remain a virgin. I was raised in a Christian home and at the appropriate time was taught the dangers in being promiscious... STD's, pregnancy, metal and emotional hurt. Like the previous poster said I was also too busy, I had too many other things I was focusing on, school, sports, relationships and that was something I steered away from. I believe having many sexual relations before marriage hurts a marriage, causes doubt in the spouse and many other issues. My parents shared with me some of there struggle because of there past and I made the promise to myself to not go thru that, and the only way not to, was to remain a virgin until marriage. I have never regretted my desicion and I hope my kids make the same. Although, we all make mistakes and fall short, but why not atleast aim to do the right thing.
"I believe having many sexual relations before marriage hurts a marriage, causes doubt in the spouse and many other issues."

Can you clarify this for me?

April 23, 2007, 3:42 am CDT

i believe

I believe that some of you don't realize that there is such a thing as Demon Possession. I have seen them prayed out of people and at one time because of abuse and more thought that at one time I was demon possessed. Religion is a true thing and a demon can be just as much prayed out of one person as fast as it came into thier lives wether it be through whichcraft or whatever the situation is but the thing is it is real. And on another token what is wrong with an 11year old making that commitment to be a virgin until marriage? I see nothing wrong with it. It does not make them strange or awkward. It makes them smart. It's better than the teenage or under getting pregant statistic.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last