Message Boards

Topic : 04/24 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 2149
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 20, 2007, 02:36:22 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you know someone whose behavior always makes you scratch you head? Dr. Phil has advice for guests who wonder if their actions are out of control. Rev. Bob Larson has been performing exorcisms for over 30 years. He says he can’t believe how many people are possessed by the devil and need his help to save them from evil. Is the reverend just on a witch hunt, or can people truly be demon-possessed? Then, Nikkea says her boyfriend, Adam, lies so much, she has to watch his every move to see if he’s cheating. She checks his cell phone, home and work e-mails and text messages, and even checks the passenger seat of the car to see if it’s been occupied. Nikkea says she knows her behavior isn’t normal, so why can’t she stop snooping? And, in October 2004, Jon and Kate found out they were pregnant with sextuplets. The only trouble is, they already had twins! Jon and Kate show what it’s like to raise a large family in a new series on Discovery Health called Jon and Kate Plus Eight. Don’t miss the surprise that Dr. Phil has for the couple. Plus, is it normal for girls as young as 11 to make a commitment to remain a virgin until marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2007, 5:02 am CDT

Bob Larson

I do believe that some people are demon possesed and certain curses do run in family lines.  Why is it that alcoholism runs through some families?  Think about it.  Not everything is demon possession.  Sometimes it is a chemical imbalance in the brain, sometimes it is a necessary attitude adjustment, and other times it is basic understanding about dysfunctional families and how they operate.  Why is one person obsessed with plastic surgery, another extra-marital affairs, and other things?  They are looking to fill something that is empty inside.  That is where faith in Jesus comes along.  I believe in everything that Bob Larson does. 

April 23, 2007, 5:12 am CDT

I always love to see the the families with multiples.

I used to think I'd like to have twins. Having had 2 babies 5 years apart, I realize how hard it would have been with 2 or 6 at at the same time. I know it's hard on these parents but I think babies are so sweet(I am in the grandmother mode but neither of my kids is ready yet.)It's always interesting to see how they manage to raise them 2 or 6 at a time. In this case 2 AND 6 at a time.WOW!

April 23, 2007, 5:29 am CDT

How does one determine whether it's mental illness or possession?

Quote From: drheld

Yes, exorcism is real BUT!!!

There are two extremes.

First, there are those who reject exorcism as being only an invention of the church, or because of no scientific evidence, or because they reject the spiritual realm.  I simply say that science deals with the physical world, as does psychology, and this is a spiritual problem.

Second, there are those who see demons under every rock, therefore they see every problem as demonic in origin.

I've seen real exorcisins, one very graphic one when I worked as a student chaplain in a mental hospital.  But, with all the many mentally disturbed people, only one was rooted in a demonic problem.  It takes true discernment (a gift from the Holy Spirit) to detect which is which.  And I repeat, I only saw one that received a significant deliverance during the year I worked as a student chaplain in a mental hospital.  I never attempted another deliverance (I prefer this term to exorcism) for I never saw the need!

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, and don't go to the extremes due to inadequate knowledge of the subject.  I have a Seminary study paper I wrote on the ministry of deliverance I'm willing to share.

Sincerely, Dr. Richard Held

I have an uncle who was diagnosed with paranoid (I can't spell skitz-o-phrenia) 33 years ago. He really had been affected all his life but it wasn't until he was about 33 that he was actually diagnosed. I personally don't think he's possessed, I think he has a mental illness. He has never done what he is supposed to do. He is an alchoholic. He's never gone to counseling. He will take his meds until he starts feeling better. Then he starts drinking and goes off his meds and starts going downhill. He's been up and down all my life. The last time he stayed inside his house for 5 years. He would talk by phone only. I got his groceries for him for 1 1/2 years after my parents got sick. Then about 4 years ago he came out and now I think he's going down again. And I don't mean to be offensive, but do only Catholics do exorcisms? That may sound unintelligent, and I mean no disrespect. I am a Baptist and we had a woman in our church who had a cancer in her leg at a young age.(Early 30's) We had a special prayer service for her one Sunday. (She is cancer free as of now) Is an exorcism kinda like praying to the ultimate maximum?

April 23, 2007, 6:52 am CDT

Demystifying sex...

Quote From: penny_lady

Exactly, I couldn't agree more.  Information is power, kids are impulsive, they aren't going to abide by some promise they made at puberty. But real knowledge might be there for them...might help them to do the right thing.

I made a similar promise, repeatedly in church growing up. I had sex at 16. I DID use a condom though. I wasn't taught as much as I should have been, not by a long shot, but I do remember my dad saying "don't compound the problem, at least protect yourself if you are stupid enough to have sex.".....not the best words in the world, but enough to make me use a condom.

I think sex is built up as this taboo and kids don't understand why.  I think that's why it's such a temptation to experiment with.  If they have the knowledge, it would de-mystify the dangers and then they can at least protect themselves if they decide to have sex.

I'm glad you were smart enough to use a condom, a lot of people don't even bother with that.  I don't know how else to encourage people to use them.  People are going to be people, I guess.

April 23, 2007, 7:02 am CDT

Good point!

Quote From: bactphd95

"They do need to be taught EVERYTHING....what protects from pregnancy versus what protects from diseases (which are two different things altogether)."

Very, very true...it seems as though that line gets blurred frequently. I would also add, as another poster alluded to, teaching about the emotions of sex, not just the mechanics of "doing it." I have used this aspect with my 11 y/o (no pressure, no "commandments," just one of many discussions): If you don't know yourself terribly well as a teen (and who does), how do you really think you can truly know another?

Truly, it's up to them...I cannot see myself chaperoning a college-age woman in her dorm, or a 20-something out on her own.

The emotions of sex are a very important variable in having sex.  The emotional attachments can get very complex, and a lot of people have very strong feelings for the person they have sex with.  It can hurt almost as bad as a STD if those feelings aren't reciprocated.  It's hard for a teen or tween to anticipate how deeply this is going to affect them and that it's not just a mechanical action, it creates a lot of deep feelings and attachments that they might not be ready to deal with.

April 23, 2007, 7:14 am CDT

demon possesd

i think people are born sinners as it says in the bible. you can be come in volved with evilness and become what would be called skizofrania today! but i believe jesus christ is the only way to be saved. as it is said in the bible. i believe if someone sets out to get in volved with witchand it seems nowdays its craft or anyother things not of god.they can become possesd because they are weak.even a christian,can be tempted but they have thier faith to stand strong. i do not believe a humanbeing can save a persons soul. i think they can help guide them in the direction to becomming a believer in jesus christ who can become thier savior!but they can not heal them pesonally. thats the persons choice to make that commitment with the lord.and the people of america is trying to take the backbone, the srenghth,the courage,honesty, and the loveout of america! when they chose to take god out .and now we shall all live in a possesd america that is becomming weak.with out faith. backbone,honesty TRUST!!! where has it all gone?? to the devil??? i supose it will continue heading that way::::

April 23, 2007, 9:54 am CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: nickelsfam

I believe that some of you don't realize that there is such a thing as Demon Possession. I have seen them prayed out of people and at one time because of abuse and more thought that at one time I was demon possessed. Religion is a true thing and a demon can be just as much prayed out of one person as fast as it came into thier lives wether it be through whichcraft or whatever the situation is but the thing is it is real. And on another token what is wrong with an 11year old making that commitment to be a virgin until marriage? I see nothing wrong with it. It does not make them strange or awkward. It makes them smart. It's better than the teenage or under getting pregant statistic.

How come people are always so fast to associate "the devil"  or "demons" with Witchcraft?  These things do not exist to Wiccans or Pagans, this is purely an Abraham belief.  We do not believe in demons or the devil. 

And Paganism is a religion with many different sects, one is Wicca.

I hope this helps you and others understand a little more. =) 

April 23, 2007, 10:10 am CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: gwarrior6

I think sex is built up as this taboo and kids don't understand why.  I think that's why it's such a temptation to experiment with.  If they have the knowledge, it would de-mystify the dangers and then they can at least protect themselves if they decide to have sex.

I'm glad you were smart enough to use a condom, a lot of people don't even bother with that.  I don't know how else to encourage people to use them.  People are going to be people, I guess.

Seriously when I was about 13 or so...I was convinced there had to be MORE to this "sex" thing...(I got my only thorough sex education from an older cousin when I was 13....*eye roll*....)...the way people talked about it, and snickered and whispered and all that made me think that there had to be MORE. Even until I was 15-16 I kept thinking that I was going to learn something more....the BIG DEAL part of it...LOL

April 23, 2007, 2:19 pm CDT

demon possession

Quote From: robintison

i think people are born sinners as it says in the bible. you can be come in volved with evilness and become what would be called skizofrania today! but i believe jesus christ is the only way to be saved. as it is said in the bible. i believe if someone sets out to get in volved with witchand it seems nowdays its craft or anyother things not of god.they can become possesd because they are weak.even a christian,can be tempted but they have thier faith to stand strong. i do not believe a humanbeing can save a persons soul. i think they can help guide them in the direction to becomming a believer in jesus christ who can become thier savior!but they can not heal them pesonally. thats the persons choice to make that commitment with the lord.and the people of america is trying to take the backbone, the srenghth,the courage,honesty, and the loveout of america! when they chose to take god out .and now we shall all live in a possesd america that is becomming weak.with out faith. backbone,honesty TRUST!!! where has it all gone?? to the devil??? i supose it will continue heading that way::::

I believe that there are legitimate mental health issues such as bipolar, schizophrenia, and others. We cannot, and should not, say that they are all a direct result of sin. Nor can we claim that they are symptoms of demon possession.

I am fully convinced that sin does exist and that we are all born sinners. I am born-again -- I called on Jesus to wash me clean of my sin. Because of that, I am indwelt by the Holy Spirit. A person who is indwelt by the Holy Spirit cannot be demon possessed. That does not protect me from mental disorders. I can suffer depression and agoraphobia or any number of other disorders. None of which equal demon possession.

I believe that demon possession is a real thing. Just as I believe that Jesus Christ is real. But I think that there are religious fanatics out there that just want attention! God is the only one that can deliver someone from demon possession. All that we humans can do is pray that He will do so.

Even in the Bible we read that people liked to throw around the idea of demon possession. John the Baptist lived in the dessert and at locust and honey. Some said that he was demon possessed. Actually, it was quite the opposite. He was devoted to God and to the work that God had given him. Sure, he acted strange, but that didn't mean that he was possessed. Let's be very careful before we claim that someone is demon possessed.

The grandfather who molested his granddaughter made me so mad! The devil did not make him do it. He was tempted by the devil but he made the conscious decision to go ahead and do it. If he was possessed, how was he delivered? Demon possession isn't a breif experience that makes you blackout for a few minutes. Once a person is possessed, they are possessed until the demon is thrown out - by God!

Please take the time to pick up a Bible and read it. You will be surprised how interesting it is and how much it makes sense.

April 23, 2007, 2:23 pm CDT

Hi elffie!

Quote From: elffie

How come people are always so fast to associate "the devil"  or "demons" with Witchcraft?  These things do not exist to Wiccans or Pagans, this is purely an Abraham belief.  We do not believe in demons or the devil. 

And Paganism is a religion with many different sects, one is Wicca.

I hope this helps you and others understand a little more. =) 

When I think of Witchcraft I think that naked women go out by the light of the moon and dance and commune with nature. I am not being frivolous. Am I anywhere close? Respectfully, housewife52 :+)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last