Message Boards

Topic : 04/24 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 2149
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 20, 2007, 02:36:22 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you know someone whose behavior always makes you scratch you head? Dr. Phil has advice for guests who wonder if their actions are out of control. Rev. Bob Larson has been performing exorcisms for over 30 years. He says he can’t believe how many people are possessed by the devil and need his help to save them from evil. Is the reverend just on a witch hunt, or can people truly be demon-possessed? Then, Nikkea says her boyfriend, Adam, lies so much, she has to watch his every move to see if he’s cheating. She checks his cell phone, home and work e-mails and text messages, and even checks the passenger seat of the car to see if it’s been occupied. Nikkea says she knows her behavior isn’t normal, so why can’t she stop snooping? And, in October 2004, Jon and Kate found out they were pregnant with sextuplets. The only trouble is, they already had twins! Jon and Kate show what it’s like to raise a large family in a new series on Discovery Health called Jon and Kate Plus Eight. Don’t miss the surprise that Dr. Phil has for the couple. Plus, is it normal for girls as young as 11 to make a commitment to remain a virgin until marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 20, 2007, 4:01 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

If there are as many demon possessions as this guy is claiming there would be a way to scientifically verify it...there is no evidence of demon possession.

April 21, 2007, 4:50 am CDT

purity

That type of dedication to purity does not really surprise me.  When I was raised I knew of reproduction, but nothing of sex.  I did not know it was supposed to be pleasureable or anything about desire.  I was only told he puts his thing in you.  Sex education at school told nothing of sex--only that sperm and egg got together to make a baby.  We were never told how. 

I was afraid of my parents.  Did not want to get in trouble.  At that point in time, highschool girls who got pregnant were sent away.  Then I went to college in the mid 60's and everything changed.  I had no social skills and therefor few dates.  Finally at age 21 I allowed myself to be what is now called date raped because I thought it was finally time.  I did not feel anything. 

Then I did meet a nice guy, learned what the experience was supposed to be and what desire and pleasure are, and went on to live a fulfilling sex life.

I do believe the purity thing exists.  Strong parents can lead naieve little girls who just want to please in this direction.

April 21, 2007, 9:05 am CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: dansfae

That type of dedication to purity does not really surprise me.  When I was raised I knew of reproduction, but nothing of sex.  I did not know it was supposed to be pleasureable or anything about desire.  I was only told he puts his thing in you.  Sex education at school told nothing of sex--only that sperm and egg got together to make a baby.  We were never told how. 

I was afraid of my parents.  Did not want to get in trouble.  At that point in time, highschool girls who got pregnant were sent away.  Then I went to college in the mid 60's and everything changed.  I had no social skills and therefor few dates.  Finally at age 21 I allowed myself to be what is now called date raped because I thought it was finally time.  I did not feel anything. 

Then I did meet a nice guy, learned what the experience was supposed to be and what desire and pleasure are, and went on to live a fulfilling sex life.

I do believe the purity thing exists.  Strong parents can lead naieve little girls who just want to please in this direction.

I'm so sorry you experienced something that horrible. So sorry.

I agree with you, kids should be taught all aspects of sex, the complete 100% truth of it. Knowledge is power, as the saying goes.

And as for making 11 year old girls promise to be virgins, these kinds of  "promises" have been shown to not be effective. I think it's ridiculous to make a child promise something like that.  It doesn't lead to good choices, it leads to guilt.

April 21, 2007, 9:43 am CDT

Purity

I can't imagine that an 11 year old would have the maturity to understand what sexuallity is all about. I don't believe it is appropriate nor the time to discuss. The sex education that I recieved at that age was indeed clinical and matter of fact. Period.

We are forcing our children to grow up far too quickly by imposing adult information on them before their bodies and brains are ready. I at 16 still was not completely ready, but my mother, and my doctor soon educated me when I saw girls my own age beginning to tamper with sex, and getting pregnant. With the information, and a talk about virtue I was given the choice as to what sort of woman or girlfriend I decided to be.

I waited. I am never sorry, I had so many other things to think about. And being promiscuous seemed to me, to be very dangerous and not at all like something I would be proud of doing.

I was called a prude, and Frigid Franny and I had the confidence to laugh along with my friends at my beliefs!

I thank my parents for stepping in at the appropriate time. By observing me and listening to what I was sharing with them, they gave good parenting!

April 21, 2007, 12:04 pm CDT

Demons

OMG you really dont want me to go there do you, Hello there is no such thing as demon possessions and exerocisms... I feel that mental illness is often misunderstood for demon possession..I see this kinda stuff which make me madder than you know what... I traveled to Salem MA where you could be on trial for being a witch if you exhibited strange demonic like behavior and accused of being witch. I think this guy is on a witch hunt and needs a session with you Dr.Phil come on youve got to be kidding... I think this kind of poession and exceroism behavior needs to be closely examined and those looking for demons should start with themselves

April 21, 2007, 1:01 pm CDT

Promise to remain a virgin

Although I do believe 11 years old is a little to young to understand what you are promising to do or not do. I do beleive in the promise to remain a virgin. I was raised in a Christian home and at the appropriate time was taught the dangers in being promiscious... STD's, pregnancy, metal and emotional hurt. Like the previous poster said I was also too busy, I had too many other things I was focusing on, school, sports, relationships and that was something I steered away from. I believe having many sexual relations before marriage hurts a marriage, causes doubt in the spouse and many other issues. My parents shared with me some of there struggle because of there past and I made the promise to myself to not go thru that, and the only way not to, was to remain a virgin until marriage. I have never regretted my desicion and I hope my kids make the same. Although, we all make mistakes and fall short, but why not atleast aim to do the right thing.

April 21, 2007, 2:30 pm CDT

demon possesion

I get really angry when people talk about being possesed by the devil. Like that grandfather on Dr. Phils show who claimed he molested his grandaughter because he was possesed. This is such a convenient way for people who do horrible things to get away with them. Because Judeo- Christian religions are so prevalent too many people want to believe that this really does happen. The truth is that people are sick with mental illness, some more extreme than others.  Those that claim to be possesed I believe love the attention and drama that comes with exorcism as well as the endless excuse they have for their behavior which they are really not willing to give up. This is just another (creative) form of denial and not taking responsibility. It comes to no surprise to me that so many churches recognize demon possesions now that all of the priests and ministers are being outed for sexually abusing children in the congregation. I would be willing to bet that this minister who is exorcising demons from all of these people has some skeletons in his own closet!

April 21, 2007, 5:16 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: flmom71

OMG you really dont want me to go there do you, Hello there is no such thing as demon possessions and exerocisms... I feel that mental illness is often misunderstood for demon possession..I see this kinda stuff which make me madder than you know what... I traveled to Salem MA where you could be on trial for being a witch if you exhibited strange demonic like behavior and accused of being witch. I think this guy is on a witch hunt and needs a session with you Dr.Phil come on youve got to be kidding... I think this kind of poession and exceroism behavior needs to be closely examined and those looking for demons should start with themselves

I agree with you on there are alot of  patients with mental illness and need help, but there can be demonic possessions.  I believe in God and that means their is a Devil.  He is out their trying his best to make sure you follow him, on the other hand I do not believe this guy has done any exercisms.  I feel if there was someone possessed their is no one out there that would know the first thing on how to handle the situation or the person.  If you believe in God then you gotta know that it is possible for the devil to jump in and cause havoc for anyone.

April 21, 2007, 5:25 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Quote From: penny_lady

I'm so sorry you experienced something that horrible. So sorry.

I agree with you, kids should be taught all aspects of sex, the complete 100% truth of it. Knowledge is power, as the saying goes.

And as for making 11 year old girls promise to be virgins, these kinds of  "promises" have been shown to not be effective. I think it's ridiculous to make a child promise something like that.  It doesn't lead to good choices, it leads to guilt.

I agree that all kids should be taught all aspects of sex, always tell the truth is the right way, but also at the childs maturity level.  One 11 year old may not understand as another would.  I think this why we have so many young women getting pregnant and raped.  I am raising 2 girls myself one which is 11.  She is aware and luckily right now she does come and talk to me about this.  I still worry as she gets older and dating who is she going to date.  Are they going to be respecftful or are they going to just take what they want.  Then it doesn't matter if she made a promise or not because then it was taken from her. 

April 21, 2007, 6:19 pm CDT

04/24 Is This Normal?

Here it is the twetifirst century, and we STILL belive in Demonic Posession anytime I hear things like this I wonder where the vortex to the Mideval Period opened up and when I dropped into it.  Just another way to excuse bad behavior, maybe getting hit in the head with a Bible is to knock some sense into them ? You could accomplish that with any book.

I really get pissed at these preachers that decide these people that need PROFESSIONAL help are posessed, instead of doing the responsible thing and directing them to the help they need, they decide to perform an exorcism preying on a person who is vulnerable in both body and mind, at one time Epilepsy in all its forms were considered demonic posession, and the girls of Salem were reacting to a fungus growing in the rye they ate.  Look if these exorcisms were real, we would have no need for Hospitals for the mentally ill.

Virginity contracts ?  I don't get that one at all, I mean what happens if they lose their virginity at eighteen ? Do they get kicked out of their families ? Their church ?  Can they be sued if they break the contract? Seriously, I know its possible to stay chaste until marriage, many manage to, but many more don't but personally I don't need a church or minister to tell me what to teach my kids or how to live.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last