Message Boards

Topic : 04/30 A Dr. Phil Family on Fire: House Intervention

Number of Replies: 152
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 27, 2007, 01:55:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

This Dr. Phil Family is angry, out of control, and about to get an intervention in The Dr. Phil House. Melissa, 22, wrote to Dr. Phil for help for her self-destructive family. Her mother, Myra, and her stepfather, Gene, have a long history of betrayals, infidelity, anger and years of bitter resentment. Melissa says her family even turns special occasions into volatile disasters with turkey dinners and Christmas trees being thrown across the room. The fighting got so bad, Melissa says she had to move away from her extreme family. Her brothers, Edwin, 20, and Eugene, 17, attest that their home is a war zone, and that they have witnessed fights between their parents that involve name-calling, spitting and dousing each other with water, all in front of their 7-year-old brother. Myra says she can’t forgive Gene for his four affairs, but especially the last one, which was with a 19-year-old. Over three years have passed since Gene’s last affair, but Myra still calls him a pedophile every chance she gets, and says she’d leave if it weren’t for their youngest child. Can this family learn to stop the drama, heal their anger and start over with a healthy foundation, or should they call it quits for good? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 30, 2007, 1:21 pm CDT

Thank goodness for Dr. Phil

If anyone can help this couple/family, it's Dr. Phil. It seems that this couple doesn't have a clue as to how to help themselves! The husband is just not prone to be a leader in his conduct...he   falls prey to  his wife's tactics and allows himself to punished because he knows he has broken a trust and feels that he deserves this treatment. She, on the other hand, feels entitled to treat him this way for his cheating, which it appears she has allowed... and by staying with him...that is  exactly the message she has conveyed to him--unspoken, yes, but still okay as evidenced by her action of staying with him. 

The only and biggest problem is that neither of them has yet exhibited the ability to be put their children ahead of themselves and be good/healthy role models for them. What an unfortunate situation this is. Don't be surprised if  some day you see their adult children on some Psych show in the future with the very same problems/behavior! That is how this poor behavior happens...it becomes the norm/acceptable...See!

I'm glad Dr. Phil told them to have higher standards for themselves. It looked like that thought never occurred to the husband.  Go ahead Dr. Phil, please talk some sense into them and please hurry, they've lost enough time!!!

April 30, 2007, 1:26 pm CDT

i feel sorry for the children

i grew up with the children... well at least the 2 older ones in school. i feel bad for the family and hope the family works things out. best of luck to the family

April 30, 2007, 1:28 pm CDT

i'd divorce him

Wow. 25 minutes into the show and I am ready to divorce this guy! And I have never met him! All that arguing and bullcrap, I would not put up with it at all. They need to just cut ties and move on with their lives.

April 30, 2007, 1:32 pm CDT

a jerk by any other name

This couple can't go back togheter, cause they went too far already. I don't think the wife is going to forgive  the husband((no one could blame her for that)).Trust me, that kind or wound never closes until you die. you can see on her face how  angry she is, if you ask me about the man. I don't belive he will change, his look is so empty.

April 30, 2007, 1:33 pm CDT

Dr. Phil Family

I had to stop watching to express how surprised I am that Dr. Phil found any value in helping this family.  I feel for the almost adult children but also believe that there must be a family out there that would have greatly benefited from Dr. Phil's help and expertise.  I love your show but I  believe this family found you about 15yrs. too late.  Also, Do adults really act like this?  Someone in these peoples extended family should have stepped in and helped those children out.  I am Puerto Rican and we tend to have great families that look out for each other, too bad that didn't happen here. 

April 30, 2007, 1:49 pm CDT

just wondering....

Quote From: robintison

i think that once a relationship is all about resentment and anger then its time to get out!! if the love is still there i think you should still separate and get counceling first before trying to continue the relationship.the child involved does not need to live his life being nervous and fearful because of his parents arguing. if the husband all ready cheated that many times he wont stop.thats his personal problem. you can not argue someone out of cheating youll drive your self crazy!! thats like arguing to a drug addict to stop taking drugs! he has to want to stop and make that choice on his own. maybe he will when he sees his faimly is gone!! and then its your choice if you want to give him that second chance . but to just continue staying there and living with him he wont change thats for sure!! so my advice is to get your child and leave with the thoughts of improving your life and living it happily! just walk away from it . if he then goes to councelling and you want to go back with him then at least you know in your heart that you gave him that second chance if it happens again you leave for good! if you do take him back you also have to go back with out the resentment or the arguing will start all over!if if you can not do that then you can not keep your child in this kind of household..
do you think this guy might be possesed by a demon? Maybe he needs an exorcism. In that case shouldn't the wife think about staying with him until the demons are cast out? What if he can't make the choice to stop cheating because the demons are making him cheat?

April 30, 2007, 1:59 pm CDT

Too Much Drama

There is sooooo much going on here that  I think they need some serious help! Gene is in denial about his sexual misconduct and Myra is so angry  about his deceit that they might have to step away for a while figure out whether or not they want to stay together or just go their separate ways for good;The children are for the most part grown so there is no real reason for them to hang on because of them.

This situation is a continuous Drama that even tops the soaps.

Presently no one is happy and they need a resolution now.

April 30, 2007, 2:22 pm CDT

HOUSE ON FIRE!

This family's situation is so very sad.  Everyone is in so much pain that it has become familiar and that is the only way they know how to relate to one another.  The parents should own up to at last 50% each for the state this family is in.  There are layers and layers of pain and it is going to take some time to unravel what the real problem is here.  No respect, bitterness, anger, hostility, seem to be the norm for this family.  As far as the husband is concerned, while infidelity is never the solution to the problem, it appears that she kept on pushing that button and he finally said, what the hell?  I am so unhappy in my present situation, let's go check out the grass on the other side of the fence.  It's never greener on the other side and only a temporary fix at best.  I wish you all the luck on this one Dr. Phil.  It will be interesting to see what happens when the children are brought into the picture.

April 30, 2007, 2:23 pm CDT

Beyond Help

This couple (side show) is a lost cause. The last thing they want is to be close to each other and their type of fighting is the perfect tool for that mission! They have absolutely zero respect for each other and the only reason (I'll bet) they are together is because they are too beaten down to get the hell out. I hope Dr Phil will help them each grow a back bone and move on to more enjoyable lives.

April 30, 2007, 2:26 pm CDT

Um

wow

i cant believe this ,

i can relate to this when my family has holiday dinners but not as extreme but extreme its gotten to the point of we dont celebrate holidays anymore

this poor  family i hope everything works out!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last