Message Boards

Topic : 08/27 Bully Dads

Number of Replies: 977
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 27, 2007, 02:00:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/02/07) They threaten, scream, intimidate and even bite. They’re not tantrum-throwing kids … they’re bullying dads! Shannon has only been married for three months but says she’s ready for a divorce. She says her husband, Kevin, calls her kids “fat,” “lazy” and “losers,” and has physically assaulted her son. She even called the police on him three weeks before their recent wedding. Kevin says he feels like he’s being pushed to his breaking point and intimidates his stepchildren because he is not allowed to punish them. To find out what was going on, Dr. Phil set up cameras in the couple’s home. You won’t believe what they reveal! Can Shannon and Kevin save this marriage, or was it doomed from the start? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 14, 2007, 11:22 pm CDT

08/27 Bully Dads

Quote From: branch5

You have obviously never had much exposure to the military or the lifestyle...don't knock what you do not know!  I have been around the military for a long time, my husband served this country proudly for 9 years active duty and now works as a civilian.  The military is an excellent way for young men and women to get life experiences.  My brother served for 8 years and now his son is active duty, so are several of my cousins.  This isn't a BUSH bashing board, so take it somewhere else - he has nothing to do with these parents and their inability to work together to be good parents.

Once again, you are wrong, I was an Army wife for 14 years, and I loved military life. I believe whole heartedly in the power of the U.S. military. I was all for going into Iraq in 1989 when hussein gassed his own people, instead, we went into Panama because Noriega cut the government out of their crooked deal. Dont tell me about the military, I had 2 children alone, because my husband had to go protect the Korean DMZ. I lost sleep after President Raygun killed Qhadafi's little boy and military intelligence woke me up in the middle of the night because they needed my husband to dispatch vehicles, because they had intelligence we were going to be bombed.

My children were army brats. The military isn't bad, the way our government uses the army to get other countries to do what they want, is. The way the government strips our young people of their power, is. They force them into situations where they have no control because " they arent knowledgeable enough to make decisions for themselves" they dont get to vote, but  when they commit a crime, they charge them like adults. It is a load of crap, and these people are all reacting to the same helplessness that I am talking about, If you can't see that, I feel sorry for those around you, because your not very empathetic

September 17, 2007, 5:42 pm CDT

08/27 Bully Dads

I feel sorry for women who find themselves in situations like this and lack the abillity to get out and do something about it.I was in a similar circumstance a number of years ago where by my husband started beating me after we got married,prior to that he was fine,i was lucky enough to get out of that fairly quickly,but it is not always as easy as it seems to just pack up and go.My heart goes out to her and i hope that she has taken up Dr Phil's offer to get out,i dont believe her hubby will change ever.

December 9, 2007, 7:23 pm CST

You Just Don't Get It.

I am a step-mother and I completely understand Kevin the bully dad. The show just aired in Australia and I immediately empathised with Kevin and was annoyed with Dr Phil.

What Dr Phil and most others don't seem to get is that being a step parent is very different from being a parent to your own children. Dr Phil has never been a step parent and obviously doesn't understand what it is like to go into step-parenthood with an open and positive heart only to be a destroyed mess a few years down the track.

This issue needs to be taken more seriously because children can be the best manipulators in the world and condemning the step-parent without truly understanding the circumstances is ridiculous.

KEVIN, I SAY TO YOU:

The mistake you made is believing the rubbish about treating your step-kids the same way that you treat your own. The fact is, you should never discipline your step children. Yes, you can lay down some house rules but it must be their mother who discliplines them.

I understood everything you said on Dr Phil and the fact is that trying to be a real parent to these children will send you crazy. My 22 year old step son has only just admitted to his father that he did everything in his power to split us up the whole time he lived with us.

This sort of pressure cannot be understood by non step-parents and yes, it can result in you acting like a child because you are so tired and desperate.

All prospective step parents need support and knowledge that doesn't come from just raising your own kids.

Dr Phil - You are perpetuating the myth that parents and step-parents are one and the same. That is total rubblish!! You spent the show browbeating a man who was already browbeaten by his wife and step-children and HIMSELF. Don't allow other would be step-parents to blindly take on someone else's children thinking "love is all you need". IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED SERIOUSLY AND WITH PRACTICAL ADVICE.

February 14, 2008, 4:36 pm CST

Listen Lady

Quote From: xtremegrl36

I have been reading some of your replies regarding the Bully Dad show...it looks to me like you have a lot of unresolved issues in your life.

The point I was trying to make went totally over your head.

If I have issues its because I've lived in the situation. Your point didn't go over my head. You aren't looking at the other side's point of view because you are too concerned about being right. Look, I am an expert on the situation because I lived it. Don't tell me your so-called point went over my head.

October 15, 2008, 4:55 am CDT

WTF

I'm watching this right now?!

May 25, 2009, 10:58 pm CDT

08/27 Bully Dads

Quote From: angel_1963

I know about this topic very well, because I lived it for 2 years with my son and his step-father,  2 weeks after I was married to a man I really truely love, he started hitting my son cussing him, twisting his arms, screaming him throwing things at him and calling him a loser, fat and ba*****d kid.  I had to refree for 2 years.  But if you do not put a stop to it early in you marriage it will never stop it will only get worse to the point that he might even start hitting you like my husband did.  I had escape when my husband took my child to Utah and he was going to break my child neck.  I finally escape by calling the police and having him arrested and then I left back for Texas.  So I would stop it fast and soon.   I finally woke up and I hope she wakes up before it is to late.  You can alway get another man, but you can not replace your children. But this are you flesh and blood and I have learn that I would not let a man hurt my child no more.  Because  it also emotionally hurts them too.  I wish I had left sooner, but I was scared of this man because he was volient toward me as well but I had to fight for my child as well.   It end in 2006 after he cracked my rib, and I am so glad to be away from this mess.  My son is so much happier......Teresa

You should have left the first time he called you a name, threatened you, or threatened your children.  You first priority is to your kids.

I adore my spouse but if they ever hit my child I would pack my stuff and take my kids and live in a motel.  Parents have to be warriors for their kids, no romantic relationship can come before the parent/child bond. 

I am glad you are out of the relationship you were in but it should not have taken 2 years.  Would you have waited 2 years to rescue your child if they were drowning? 

May 26, 2009, 3:49 pm CDT

08/27 Bully Dads

I watched this show again on the W channel in Australia.  I can't believe that the Mom in this situation allowed this guy to throw a full on fit in a room with 2 kids and 2 toddlers in the room.  Twice this man almost knocked one of the babies to the floor and didn't even notice, not to mention what he did to the older girl and boy.  Why the Mom didn't call the police and move the whole family into a shelter, right then, is beyond me. 

I know the American foster care system is not perfect but anything has got to be better than what these kids are living now.  If these adults want to go ahead and indulge their rage, then let them, but let's get the kids out of there.

First | Prev | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | Next Page | Last Page