Message Boards

Topic : 08/09 Overweight and Forgotten

Number of Replies: 454
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 27, 2007, 02:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/04/07) Dr. Phil speaks with women who say they feel forgotten by their loved ones because of their excessive weight. Lorna weighs 650-plus pounds and feels abandoned by her family. Lorna’s sister, Glenice, says Lorna got herself into this situation; now she has to take responsibility and get herself out. Lorna’s boyfriend, Blair, takes care of her, but Glenice says he’s not the Mr. Nice Guy he appears to be. She says he's really an abuser. Lorna says Blair is exhausted and stressed from the hard job of caring for her, and her family needs to help rather than drive him away. Is Lorna ready to stop accepting the abuse and start accepting help? Then, Sunni weighs almost 300 pounds and wants to pursue her dream of being a plus-size model. Her boyfriend, Christian, however, says she’s too fat for the runway, and she should leave that dream to the skinny girls. Sunni says she is big and fabulous, and Christian makes her feel like she should crawl under a rock. Will Sunni be forced to pick between her relationship and her dream? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 30, 2007, 3:31 pm CDT

To Amanda

Quote From: brightbluei

Lorna is a beautiful person. Through out my life i have learned many things from her. Her loving nature and careing ways have helped many people. My name is amanda and Lorna is my step mother. For the past Twenty years i have grown to love this woman like my mother, and as a small child she loved me like her own.  I want people to know that her weight is not from over eatting all the time like some people may think, at least from my point of view. And i have ate many meals in my lifetime with her. I have two Daughters. From day one they have been the light of her life, she has helped me become a good mother,  I am proud of who i am today and owe many thanks to this woman for teaching me so many of my life skills.

When i heard the news about the Dr Phil show I was so happy for her. I Pray that this is a break through for her and it gives her the motivation she has lacked for way to long.  

I think it's great that Lorna has the support of someone such as yourself.  This past year I had to shed several pounds in order to improve my health as a matter of survival.  I was sooo gratefull for the support of my family. 

Neither was my weight from eating too much.  In fact, I eat more now than I did when I began to loose weight last year.  I've learned that it's what I had been eating, not how much.

How sad, that some people tend to look at others and judge by appearances.  What can we do but pitty those who don't think such things all the way through?  But this is your opportunity to return the love that Lorna has given to you and you seem to be quite willing.  That's all she needs. 

My family helped me by not eating off-limit foods in my sight - by sharing the same meals with me sometimes.  By shopping for the foods I needed and by preparing them for me, (since I was not well enough).  Too, by reminding me that THEY needed me to get better.

April 30, 2007, 10:09 pm CDT

government help

Quote From: brookster

It seems that any other addiction can get government help, but an overweight person cannot get any help!  This makes me very angry.  Not all overweight people sit and eat all day long, some have medical problems that cause them to be overweight.  All some doctors seem to do is harp about it, and think that exercise is the answer to all our problems.
I agree that more health insurance companies need to pay for surgeries like gastric bypass, if a person is morbidly obese.  I also think that we have to start spending more money on our childrens school lunches to provide better/healthier options for them.  I know that my 2nd grader is allowed to skip lunch and pick up snacks  like chips.  This is ridiculous and needs to stop.  Get rid of pizza day at the schools  and start having grilled chicken wrap day!  I think that our government has an obligation at this point to do something since our kids and our society (the United States) are the fattest out there!

May 1, 2007, 8:27 am CDT

get real get a life

Quote From: cfrostco

I find it rather frustrating hearing people who think that you can just set your mind to lose weight and it happens.  I've done that time and again, only to fail and be so frustrated, words can't describe.  You obviously haven't known being disgusted with yourself for failing at the one thing you'd love NOTHING MORE than to do, but it keeps eluding you.  I'd get lap band surgery in a minute, but my insurance won't cover it or any complications evolving from it, and I can't afford it out of pocket.  So please, give me this pearl of wisdom you obviously possess, and tell me how to do "something to change the situation", "do something about your weight", or what diet program I can follow that can accomplish what healthy eating hasn't?  I've gone to dieticians, weight watchers, health spas, and nothing has worked.  Remember, there but for the grace of God go I, and you shouldn't simplify anyone else's condition if you haven't walked a day in their shoes.  I hope this woman gets the help she so obviously needs, and gets her life on track again.
These people need to get off their chairs and get motivated! I'm sick of people crying about how fat they are. Changing you lifestyle isn't easy it takes hard work. Their is no cure for what they are going through stop eating the grease, fat etc. Family members also need to stop making meals for these people. they are enablers.

May 1, 2007, 8:32 am CDT

excuses

Quote From: soulcatchr

IF your that overweight why in the world can you not do something about your weight? Dr's can refer you for surgery. There are diet programs which I just did myself to help you eat healthy. I find this like alcholism........just find help and make the choice to quit putting it in your mouth. When it comes down to it, your all by yourself. You should not have to depend on anyone to take care of you. For crying out loud........do something to change the situation that you are in. Opinions?
I agree with you all this crying and no action.  Like dr. phil is going to wave a magic wand for these people. sick of hearing about how family members complain yet they continue to make meals or order fast food for these unmotivated people.

May 1, 2007, 9:06 am CDT

Overweight and forgotten

Quote From: advocate12

I agree that more health insurance companies need to pay for surgeries like gastric bypass, if a person is morbidly obese.  I also think that we have to start spending more money on our childrens school lunches to provide better/healthier options for them.  I know that my 2nd grader is allowed to skip lunch and pick up snacks  like chips.  This is ridiculous and needs to stop.  Get rid of pizza day at the schools  and start having grilled chicken wrap day!  I think that our government has an obligation at this point to do something since our kids and our society (the United States) are the fattest out there!
I agree that more ins. companies should help. Not all of us overweight people just sit on our butts and do nothing. More and more people are looking for shortcuts to cooking,  So many fillers in our foods anymore. When it takes 2 jobs to support a family anymore lol no time for cooking. Yes more fruits and fresh vegetables. Grilling or broiling foods. The cost of a gym, and anymore with the crime hard to feel to safe to go out and walk, jog or whatever. Anymore you can't feel safe anywhere at anytime. Yes exercise at home with video alot of people can't afford the video's. Most people can think of ways to do it. But without help and money for it no self esteem, and alot of people care but they don't. Alot of the surgies may work i have a friend whom it has worked for it. It is learning to eat right and the right amount. But it is still a struggle when depression, no self worth and you have an ahole who is abusive makes matters worse. She needs help mentally and psychically. This world needs to make healthly more afforadable and junk outrageous. This world needs to get off its butt and not be so lazy plant their own food. For the lady who want to be a plus size model hell go for it. Don't let a man dominate your dreams. Drag you down and cut down your self esteem. Be proud of yourself make yourself happy, life is to short to live someones elses dreams or wants. You never know what tomorrow holds if tomorrow even comes.

May 1, 2007, 9:34 am CDT

you don't have a say

Quote From: drphilfan889

i agree with you, she should do something instead of sit there. she should "get real" as Dr Phil would say.
I would like to remind some people who have never been in that situation that is isn't that asy for people to lose that much weight ...and what is it that you think she could do instead of sitting there all day ..until you walk in her show ...YOU dont have a right for an opinion

May 1, 2007, 9:42 am CDT

LORNA IS A BEAUTIFUL PERSON....I KNOW

Quote From: brightbluei

Lorna is a beautiful person. Through out my life i have learned many things from her. Her loving nature and careing ways have helped many people. My name is amanda and Lorna is my step mother. For the past Twenty years i have grown to love this woman like my mother, and as a small child she loved me like her own.  I want people to know that her weight is not from over eatting all the time like some people may think, at least from my point of view. And i have ate many meals in my lifetime with her. I have two Daughters. From day one they have been the light of her life, she has helped me become a good mother,  I am proud of who i am today and owe many thanks to this woman for teaching me so many of my life skills.

When i heard the news about the Dr Phil show I was so happy for her. I Pray that this is a break through for her and it gives her the motivation she has lacked for way to long.  

Lorna is a beautiful person ...I know first hand ...she did raise you from the time you were a small girl and is very proud of you and the babies ..she longs to be able to go and visit with you ...I am happy that you are proud of her and that you are happy about the show ..it took alot of guts for her to do that .....HURRAY for Lorna ..Love Aunty

May 1, 2007, 10:26 am CDT

GET RID OF BLAIR

Quote From: ladymaiddo

It seems she has the motivation. She needs to get help and dump his abusive butt. If he's so miserable, why is he there? She needs to kick him to the curb...
Why is he there in the first place?  He met her only a couple of years ago so its no like they have been together forever and she has become this big while they were together.  Ift hat was the case I could understand someone staying out of obligation.  In his case he stays for the free ride and for the chance to dominate someone.  Anyone else would have sent him to jail where he deserves to be, but she needs help and he knows that and takes advantage of it.

May 1, 2007, 1:21 pm CDT

05/04 Overweight and Forgotten

Quote From: soulcatchr

IF your that overweight why in the world can you not do something about your weight? Dr's can refer you for surgery. There are diet programs which I just did myself to help you eat healthy. I find this like alcholism........just find help and make the choice to quit putting it in your mouth. When it comes down to it, your all by yourself. You should not have to depend on anyone to take care of you. For crying out loud........do something to change the situation that you are in. Opinions?
I agree. Sunni may consider herself "big and fabulous",  but she needs to realize that she's also headed to an early grave. At 300 pounds, anyone is morbidly obese. And, in danger of serious heart disease and diabetes. Once she's eaten herself to that point, how "fabulous" will she feel?

May 1, 2007, 1:32 pm CDT

Uh, get real!

Quote From: sabrinaspell12

These people need to get off their chairs and get motivated! I'm sick of people crying about how fat they are. Changing you lifestyle isn't easy it takes hard work. Their is no cure for what they are going through stop eating the grease, fat etc. Family members also need to stop making meals for these people. they are enablers.

Not every obese person can get off their chair and get motivated.  Your answer is out of ignorance, obviously.  For example:   Are you aware that there are diseases that are treated by oral steroids, and that the steroids themselves can increase the appetite and therefore, the weight.  So, here's a seriously ill person who has that to compound their health problems. 

So if a person has reached obesity to the point of being unable to care for themself, we simply refuse to make them meals - is that it?  How foolish a thought!  Better that we get all the more involved and realize that, for whatever reason, that person is not in control.  We help!  We offer loving support, perhaps to fix healthier meals.  But we do not abandon.  As you pointed out, "changing your lifestyle isn't easy".  It does take hard work, and sometimes help and loving people who care enough to help motivate.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last