Message Boards

Topic : 08/09 Overweight and Forgotten

Number of Replies: 454
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 27, 2007, 02:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/04/07) Dr. Phil speaks with women who say they feel forgotten by their loved ones because of their excessive weight. Lorna weighs 650-plus pounds and feels abandoned by her family. Lorna’s sister, Glenice, says Lorna got herself into this situation; now she has to take responsibility and get herself out. Lorna’s boyfriend, Blair, takes care of her, but Glenice says he’s not the Mr. Nice Guy he appears to be. She says he's really an abuser. Lorna says Blair is exhausted and stressed from the hard job of caring for her, and her family needs to help rather than drive him away. Is Lorna ready to stop accepting the abuse and start accepting help? Then, Sunni weighs almost 300 pounds and wants to pursue her dream of being a plus-size model. Her boyfriend, Christian, however, says she’s too fat for the runway, and she should leave that dream to the skinny girls. Sunni says she is big and fabulous, and Christian makes her feel like she should crawl under a rock. Will Sunni be forced to pick between her relationship and her dream? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 27, 2007, 7:09 pm CDT

Why can't you do something about it?

IF your that overweight why in the world can you not do something about your weight? Dr's can refer you for surgery. There are diet programs which I just did myself to help you eat healthy. I find this like alcholism........just find help and make the choice to quit putting it in your mouth. When it comes down to it, your all by yourself. You should not have to depend on anyone to take care of you. For crying out loud........do something to change the situation that you are in. Opinions?

April 27, 2007, 8:21 pm CDT

05/04 Overweight and Forgotten

Quote From: soulcatchr

IF your that overweight why in the world can you not do something about your weight? Dr's can refer you for surgery. There are diet programs which I just did myself to help you eat healthy. I find this like alcholism........just find help and make the choice to quit putting it in your mouth. When it comes down to it, your all by yourself. You should not have to depend on anyone to take care of you. For crying out loud........do something to change the situation that you are in. Opinions?
i agree with you, she should do something instead of sit there. she should "get real" as Dr Phil would say.

April 28, 2007, 7:08 am CDT

I do HOPE they lose the weight!

I do HOPE they lose the weight!

it's OK to have a dream to become a model!

She's very pretty, I think she would do well... ;)

and just to let you all know, I was on the DR. PHIL HOUSE, House Of Hatred,

I am John.

Best Wishes To All!

And I hope you stick with what you are doing..

because it will be worth it, you'll have a long happy life. =)

April 28, 2007, 10:14 am CDT

For Sunni

Sunni, you go girl, and don't let ANYONE stand in the way of your dreams.  Those that really love you, will support you with love, or be there if you should fall. 

It's dreams that keep us alive.  I wish you the best.

Perhaps your boyfriend is insecure because if you succeed, where will he be?  Controlling?  May be. Major warning signs flashing everywhere with this guy.

I've seen models for plus size clothing, that appear to be more than 300lbs.

It sure takes a lot of courage for someone like you to want these dreams and all there is left to say is WAY TO GO YOU!!! 

Hugs,

T from New jersey

April 28, 2007, 12:05 pm CDT

Who is providing the calories?

Quote From: soulcatchr

If you weigh that much, you are not the one going to the store and buying food!  Whoever is supplying the food is the one who can control the quality and quantity of food.  Losing weight is not easy by no means, I have been there and know that it is YOU that needs to make the sacrifice. 

Although the family could provide moral support, it is not their responsibility to lose the weight for you.  I'm sure that you enabled yourself to get to a considerable weight.  Now that you are apparently homebound, your family should be grateful that at least someone is willing to take care of you.  I know that exercising is out of the question at this point, but you can start by not sitting in a chair all day long.

A food adiction is not like alcholism......you can live without ever putting a drop of liquor in your mouth but you can not live without putting some food in your mouth!

April 28, 2007, 12:13 pm CDT

She needs help

I agree that Lorna will have to make the ultimate decision to help herself.  that said, she will need ongoing emotional and instructional help.  Obese people are prone to lowering calories too severely, assuming this will bring quicker progress.  Lorna's current body weight dictates that she maintain a specific caloric intake to prevent her body from going into a starvation mode, which would lower her metabolism and make it that much harder to lose weight.  In addition, whatever physical activity, if any at this point, is implemented, will need to be done with care.  Those are just a couple concerns.  

Weight loss is completely achievable.  I highly recommend that it be done naturally and by non-surgical measures.   In addition, to prevent reoccurrence and to ensure a supportive environment in which to lose, core emotional issues need to be dealt with, which I'm sure Dr. Phil will address

Lorna  -  There is no option other than to lose weight and to put an end to the suffering you are experiencing.   If you do not, you will develop an array of health problems and cut your life short.  It is that simple.  People that love you will lose you.  They and YOU deserve so much more!Trust me, you can do this, one small step at a time.  Above all and please remember this...     Never, never, at any time, give up!       

April 28, 2007, 12:41 pm CDT

dont be mean...

Quote From: drphilfan889

i agree with you, she should do something instead of sit there. she should "get real" as Dr Phil would say.
I dont know why a husband would thinks its ok, to treat his spouse so crule and be mean , that will not help..it will only make matters worse.I was 330 lbs in 1999, my freinds treated me  very kindly and never nagged me about my weight, my doctors did that...I lost the weight cause I wanted to, I was ready to.I lost appx 100 lbs in one year, No pills, nomedications, no crazy diet, just a simple formular of callorie counting, burning callorlies , moving about much more, not calastetics, just move around  bend, strech  I did not lay on my butt all day any more. I stayed the same weight since, It is a constant battle still to keep it under colntroll. Its an adiction ! it really is... My hrat goes out to tha lady, I wish her well and much happiness soon. Thanks  for reading,Mike from Fresno ca  Im 53 yrs old

April 28, 2007, 1:17 pm CDT

easy for you.....

Quote From: drphilfan889

It may be easy for you to lose weight, but its not easy for everyone. Unlike an alcolhol or drug addiction, a food addiction has to be dealt with in moderation- not complete cessation. It would be like a herion addict just having a little bit to get them through the day- when you are addicted to food, you STILL have to eat to live. If you are addicted to alcohol or drugs, you can remove yourself from situations that make it hard for you to keep clean- but try walking down any street in America and NOT finding a diner, Mc D's, BK, Dunkin D's, Starbucks.....

-Add onto that the fact that cheap food is starchy food- Veggies in America are more expensive than pasta, and cheap cuts of meat are fatty-

-Add onto that the fact that medical conditions and medications pack on the tonage- try having your thyroid out and wow that weight shows up fast!!

-Add onto that stress, insomnia, frustration---------

I agree, inevitably it is up to the individual to conquer this addiciton- but lets not criticize the only group in America who still allows themselves to be criticized without complaining about it and getting action! (Do you think Imus would be out of a job if he said something about fat girls who answered the telephone for minimum wage? Nope!)

April 28, 2007, 1:23 pm CDT

05/04 Overweight and Forgotten

Quote From: tannie908

Sunni, you go girl, and don't let ANYONE stand in the way of your dreams.  Those that really love you, will support you with love, or be there if you should fall. 

It's dreams that keep us alive.  I wish you the best.

Perhaps your boyfriend is insecure because if you succeed, where will he be?  Controlling?  May be. Major warning signs flashing everywhere with this guy.

I've seen models for plus size clothing, that appear to be more than 300lbs.

It sure takes a lot of courage for someone like you to want these dreams and all there is left to say is WAY TO GO YOU!!! 

Hugs,

T from New jersey

Its hard and you need to have someone to be there for support my husband is overweight and it took forever but he finally started to walk every night after supper instead of napping we go for walks.   At first he would only go so far and I told him that go as far as you can but make sure that you can make it back safely  and to do the same distance until you can make it farther and add on to the walk when you can do it and now I notice that he is not breathing as hard and there are less stops inbetween and a month later he is almost doing a mile every time he goes walking and I make sure to prepare good meals.  I have been doing Dr. Phil since the first time he started his very first group to loose weight I bought his books and followed the all the way and fI have lost 45lbs and have kept it off for 3yrs now.  So with encouragement its amazing how a person can accomplish their goal.

April 28, 2007, 2:19 pm CDT

overweight

My son Scott weigh almost 600 pounds.I was always worried being his mother I didnt want him dying especially before me I could never live with it. I learned alot from him He knew he was overwight and the whole family tried telling him  but it wasnt until he was ready that he got serious and started to try. When he moved down here from NY he started to see a doctor who was widly know for the Gastric by pass surgery and helping people who were overwight. He had to do many thing before he could be operated He had to loose more wight and had to go to counseling. He did this even when he was sick.  He had the bypass 2 months ago  and since almost 2 years  he is down to 386 pounds and he has a long way to go. I as his mother is real proud of him and would never forget his courage or fortitude to keep going. I also would like to thank his Doctor for without him this may never have happened.

Sandra Edwards

Ocala, Florida

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last