Message Boards

Topic : A Circle of Friends with Loving Support

Number of Replies: 50813
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:18:46 am
Author : dataimport

This board is for anyone who desires friendship & Weight Loss Support utilizing Dr. Phil's 7 Keys to Success.

We strive to provide loving support without being judgmental to others.

We all understand that there are events in our lives that can have an effect on our emotional eating. You can discuss that here should you so desire.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 24, 2008, 6:33 am CDT

Jeanne

Quote From: jeannedeps

Hi Vickib,

I read your message and you had a typeo on the word goal and it turned out to be Goat instead,  well that just struck me so funny, I have not laughed in a long time, and I'm not making fun of you, really, its just

that all I could picture is this 50 lb. goat and the more I thought about it the more I laughed.  wouldn't it

be easy for us if it was that easy...just get rid of the goat...I hope I didn't offend you, I really took it as a funny "bloop"  Please write me and lets be buddies, I need someone to support my journey, I just started and I have a long way to go.   Jeanne

Jeanne, Hello, I have lost 50 pounds recently.  It had not occured to me that I have lost as much as a 50 pound goat--that is funny.  I am checking this message board daily and am happy to support your journey as well.  Take care! :) Bren

September 24, 2008, 11:42 am CDT

Back from vacation

Welcome, Kim and Christen!  I love your honesty and the "journey back to myself" phrase.  Thanks, Anita, for the mention of those who just don't enjoy gyms.  I used to work out at gyms on two military bases, but not being on active duty has nixed my access to those.  They were the only gyms I ever really liked, mostly because they were used by women as well as men so I didn't feel so conspicuous.  I tried Curves, but they only let you stay on the machines for 20 minutes, and I need at least twice that.  So I use my own treadmill, which I dislike almost as much but not quite.  I'm trying to figure out a way to get outdoors on a regular basis for IE. 

I've been gone a from this board for a while -- okay, a long while!  Just got back from a 2-week vacation, sorely needed since work has gotten pretty stressful.  It was a good family time -- we took the kids to DC and saw the monuments and museums, then to Baltimore to the Inner Harbor, up to Gettysburg, and on to Ohio where we have friends.  Believe it or not, I didn't gain weight as I usually do on vacation -- in fact, I lost 3 and a half pounds!  I watched what I ate, got plenty of salads, took a bite of my husband's or kids' dessert instead of ordering one of my own, and got plenty of exercise.  The IE was probably the key.  We walked all over DC, the Inner Harbor, and Gettysburg, did paddle boats (which was SO MUCH harder than I expected!!), and walked all over an amusement park in Ohio.  My husband, who is a good judge of these things, said the walking days were worth between 2 and 3 miles each.

By the way, Cedar Point near Lorraine, Ohio, has the tallest roller coaster in the US!

Gertie

September 25, 2008, 3:08 am CDT

Gertie

Hey, girl, it is good to "see" you back.  Your vacation sounds like a great time--although I do remember something about the moaning and groaning from my boys when we did trips like that.  However, when we took them to the Smithsonian, they were enthralled--not with most parts, but with the Space and Aeronautical museum and the natural history part.  Now my granddaughter drags me to the Natural History museum in Atlanta ever visit.  We have to see the dinosaurs (I suspect they look to make sure I'm not that old yet!!).

I have a bike which bothers my back.  It is an old cast off from the little gym I go to when they got the new bikes that were hard for me to ride after knee replacement.  I got a WW DVD for inside workouts, but wound up falling as my balance isn't good since the doc straightened my legs.  I just fell over my own feet.  Needless to say, I'm not ready to try it again really soon.

I love my little gym--all the preppy people go to the big gyms, but we who just want to be healthy hang in there.  No one judges what we wear and I'm not embarassed to stick my big fanny in the air doing the floor things. 

Oops!! I am way out of time. 

Hugs to all of you--be back tomorrow.

Anita

September 25, 2008, 9:37 am CDT

Good for You!

Quote From: bebren

Jeanne, Hello, I have lost 50 pounds recently.  It had not occured to me that I have lost as much as a 50 pound goat--that is funny.  I am checking this message board daily and am happy to support your journey as well.  Take care! :) Bren

Hi Bren,

Wow! thats great, congratulations.. I hope my weight starts to drop soon, I'm a little frustrated right now.

But, I'm plugging along, one meal at a time, thanks for responding I appreciate it.    Jeanne

September 25, 2008, 9:48 am CDT

Hey! Anita

Quote From: cussmotor2

I'm not Vickib but I could use some support.  I have a long road ahead of me as well although I didn't just start.

I liked your post.....it really helps a person get through life if you have a sense of humor.  I have a weird one with some people don't appreciate, so I often laugh on the inside. 

Oh gosh, it would be so much easier if our challenge were separate from us.  We could just take a broom and chase it to someone else's door. 

I'd be delighted to be added to your buddy list, Jeanne.  I don't have much support from any place else.

Hope to see you again,

Hugs,

Anita

Hi Anita,

Sorry I got the name wrong, this is all new to me and I get confused sometimes. I'm glad you and I have a

sense of humor, it makes life easier. and I'm glad to have a Buddy. I live in Naples FL. and I have at least

50 lbs. to lose. I just started last week. Next week I will be going to New England to see my family, so I am

preparing myself, mentally and physically. My main interest is seeing the scenery, I can't wait. Thats what

I miss the most. and of course my grandchildren and kids. Pray for me Anita.   talk to you tomorrow.

jeannedeps (Buddy)

September 25, 2008, 10:45 pm CDT

Hi All and hugs too

Hugs to all who remember me well and Hi to the new people on the board.  I returning after periodic absences with some big news the kind of explains the big black hole I dropped into a few months ago.

I've just been diagnosed with Adult AD/HD...  I'm nearly 37.  To say this came as a shock is putting it mildly.

At the moment I am learning, learning, learning all about why my life has been so chaotic for so long and also to use my strengths better.  This is a very exciting and powerful process... I'm learning how I have instinctively been self medicating with some things to help my brain function differently... one of these things was food.  Also why some exercises help me more than others to function well... 

I want to share this aspect of my learning curve with you as I move onwards towards my healthy weight and towards a better use of the alternative brain I'm blessed with.

Huge hugs,

Mary DownUnder

September 26, 2008, 2:52 am CDT

Jeanne

Hi Anita,

Sorry I got the name wrong, this is all new to me and I get confused sometimes. I'm glad you and I have a

sense of humor, it makes life easier. and I'm glad to have a Buddy. I live in Naples FL. and I have at least

50 lbs. to lose. I just started last week. Next week I will be going to New England to see my family, so I am

preparing myself, mentally and physically. My main interest is seeing the scenery, I can't wait. Thats what

I miss the most. and of course my grandchildren and kids. Pray for me Anita.   talk to you tomorrow.

jeannedeps (Buddy)

Jeanne,  you are in my prayers--keep me in yours.  Visiting is difficult unless the family makes an effort to fix more plain dishes.  My daughter-in-laws are great about letting me plan the meals with them.  They don't get too fancy with sauces, etc.  So I can eat without having to do a special meal.

I always take a couple pkts of tuna with me just in case.  I put one in my purse with a fork if we go out just in case the grandchildren want to stop some place that I would rather not eat.  However,k most places--even fast food places--have put things on their menu for those wanting to eat more healthy,  If I eat out I aim at salads with dressing on the side and dip my fork into the dressing.  I get the taste without all the calories and I can taste what I am eating.

My youngest son is coming to town this coming week with his serious girlfriend.  They are both chefs at a 5 start restaurant in Aspen, CO.  I am really nervous as he's cooked before and it has been beautiful and delicious, but not so healthy.  When I asked him about low fat, he says people don't go to a restaurant and pay $50 for a main course to get low fat.  He's right--I'd stay home with my cottage cheese.

Hopefully they will be so full of fancy that they will be happy with plainer fair.  So I need all the prayers and support I can get to make it through this. I've been cleaning like crazy so my place won't be so messy and neglected looking--it has been neglected.  Between 88 yr old parents and teaching, my house gets litle attention.  This past summer it was such a mess that even though I really worked on it, it never showed.

Got to get moving.  Be sure to get your water in.  It makes such a difference.

See you tomorrow, buddy.  Have a great day.  Oh, I have about 100 pounds to lose and am making slow progress.  But it is progress.

Hugs,

Anita

September 26, 2008, 10:00 am CDT

Bless your Heart

Quote From: cussmotor2

Jeanne,  you are in my prayers--keep me in yours.  Visiting is difficult unless the family makes an effort to fix more plain dishes.  My daughter-in-laws are great about letting me plan the meals with them.  They don't get too fancy with sauces, etc.  So I can eat without having to do a special meal.

I always take a couple pkts of tuna with me just in case.  I put one in my purse with a fork if we go out just in case the grandchildren want to stop some place that I would rather not eat.  However,k most places--even fast food places--have put things on their menu for those wanting to eat more healthy,  If I eat out I aim at salads with dressing on the side and dip my fork into the dressing.  I get the taste without all the calories and I can taste what I am eating.

My youngest son is coming to town this coming week with his serious girlfriend.  They are both chefs at a 5 start restaurant in Aspen, CO.  I am really nervous as he's cooked before and it has been beautiful and delicious, but not so healthy.  When I asked him about low fat, he says people don't go to a restaurant and pay $50 for a main course to get low fat.  He's right--I'd stay home with my cottage cheese.

Hopefully they will be so full of fancy that they will be happy with plainer fair.  So I need all the prayers and support I can get to make it through this. I've been cleaning like crazy so my place won't be so messy and neglected looking--it has been neglected.  Between 88 yr old parents and teaching, my house gets litle attention.  This past summer it was such a mess that even though I really worked on it, it never showed.

Got to get moving.  Be sure to get your water in.  It makes such a difference.

See you tomorrow, buddy.  Have a great day.  Oh, I have about 100 pounds to lose and am making slow progress.  But it is progress.

Hugs,

Anita

hi Anita

Bless your heart that was a great and encouraging message.  I have 3 sons and 1 Daughter and all LOVE to cook, but, they also want me to lose weight and be healthy, so I know that when I get there they will respect my situation, they eat mostly healthy foods some eat organic food as do their children. but, they

do also bake in the fall, lets hope that is somewhat healthy. I am not too worried about the food so much

I'm trying to consentrate on having fun.  How nice your son and his girl are coming to see you,,,it canbe

fun to pick his brain on how to make some of his recipes lower in fat and sugar, give themthe challange!

I just decluttered my condo, I started in the summer and I'm still getting rid of what I call, THINGS,  thats

all lthey are you know, you look at them, you dust them, wash them, move them from place to place and

Iknow someday when I am no longer here, they will look at them and say what is this and why do we need

this,so I'm saving them the trouble and out they went, along with the fat clothes, and the fat foods.  I feel

lighter in so many ways.   Enjoy your company.  and kiss your Mom and Dad,I bet their cute.

Hugs   Jeanne

September 28, 2008, 12:14 am CDT

Strategies

I'm having trouble at work will avoiding the biscuit and chocolates on display on the kitchen (where I'm often cleaning) or in the staffroom.  Our boss leaves bags of peanut-studded chocolate bars as thank yous for the staff periodically or if someone dies (I work in Aged Care atm) often their family will thank the staff with chocolate. 

Even thought I bring my own food for my meals at work (alone, in the middle of the night) and I tell myself I don't need those extra things it is very difficult. 

At home I have a environment without that rubbish and it doesn't bother me at all... I like healthy food.  I always have a soup or left-overs of a healthy meal my DH has cooked for me to heat up at work. I bring fruit and sometimes a low fat yogurt as well. I am getting enough to cover my energy requirements and to fill my stomach... This snacking is not about nutrition or hunger.

I need some strategies to beat this problem area...  I welcome any ideas or thoughts you lovely ladies have.

Yours with hugs,

Mary DownUnder

September 28, 2008, 5:31 am CDT

Jeanne

hi Anita

Bless your heart that was a great and encouraging message.  I have 3 sons and 1 Daughter and all LOVE to cook, but, they also want me to lose weight and be healthy, so I know that when I get there they will respect my situation, they eat mostly healthy foods some eat organic food as do their children. but, they

do also bake in the fall, lets hope that is somewhat healthy. I am not too worried about the food so much

I'm trying to consentrate on having fun.  How nice your son and his girl are coming to see you,,,it canbe

fun to pick his brain on how to make some of his recipes lower in fat and sugar, give themthe challange!

I just decluttered my condo, I started in the summer and I'm still getting rid of what I call, THINGS,  thats

all lthey are you know, you look at them, you dust them, wash them, move them from place to place and

Iknow someday when I am no longer here, they will look at them and say what is this and why do we need

this,so I'm saving them the trouble and out they went, along with the fat clothes, and the fat foods.  I feel

lighter in so many ways.   Enjoy your company.  and kiss your Mom and Dad,I bet their cute.

Hugs   Jeanne

Oh my gosh!!  I am so glad that our paths have crossed, Jeanne.  It sounds like we are walking the same path from different places.  How old did you say you were?  I'm 65 and I just started decluttering the house a couple of years ago when my folks started passing things down to me.  I've been encouraging my kids to let me know what they want and have been sharing art and family things. 

But you are so right.  We make so much work for ourselves by cluttering our space with things that won't matter to our children at all. That creates all sorts of stress because it takes us so long to clean, etc.   But we don't know that until they are older and have established tastes.

I'm not done yet, but I am sure working on getting my space focused on what is important to me.

I loved the challenge idea for my son.  They shouldn't be eating like they cook at work all the time.  I'm sure the wealthy and famous that stay at Little Nell's don't eat like that all the time either.  I stayed there and I must admit that there are healthy choices on the menu--it just that the heavier ones sound so much more intriguing than the light ones. But I had the most amazing oatmeal for breakfast there.  I eat oats a lot in the winter, but my oats have never been like that.  Yumm!!

Have a beautiful day.  I will kiss and hug my folks.  Dad is coming over to help me put a new gasket on the washer faucet this afternoon.  :)

Have a wonderful day.

Hugs,

Anita

First | Prev | 5072 | 5073 | 5074 | 5075 | 5076 | 5077 | 5078 | 5079 | 5080 | 5081 | Next | Last