Message Boards

Topic : A Circle of Friends with Loving Support

Number of Replies: 50813
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:18:46 am
Author : dataimport

This board is for anyone who desires friendship & Weight Loss Support utilizing Dr. Phil's 7 Keys to Success.

We strive to provide loving support without being judgmental to others.

We all understand that there are events in our lives that can have an effect on our emotional eating. You can discuss that here should you so desire.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 28, 2008, 5:41 am CDT

Mary DU

Quote From: mezneil

I'm having trouble at work will avoiding the biscuit and chocolates on display on the kitchen (where I'm often cleaning) or in the staffroom.  Our boss leaves bags of peanut-studded chocolate bars as thank yous for the staff periodically or if someone dies (I work in Aged Care atm) often their family will thank the staff with chocolate. 

Even thought I bring my own food for my meals at work (alone, in the middle of the night) and I tell myself I don't need those extra things it is very difficult. 

At home I have a environment without that rubbish and it doesn't bother me at all... I like healthy food.  I always have a soup or left-overs of a healthy meal my DH has cooked for me to heat up at work. I bring fruit and sometimes a low fat yogurt as well. I am getting enough to cover my energy requirements and to fill my stomach... This snacking is not about nutrition or hunger.

I need some strategies to beat this problem area...  I welcome any ideas or thoughts you lovely ladies have.

Yours with hugs,

Mary DownUnder

Mary, I have the same problems around snacks--especially chocolate.  I forget exactly how many trips my trainer told me, but a small Snickers bar equaled 25 +/- trips walking the football field.  That ruined Snickers.  I psych myself out many times.  This is gross, but I imagine that someone did something nasty to them--something that I wouldn't touch even if I was truly hungry.  That often works for me.

I also carry baby carrots or carrot sticks to munch on.  They are relatively clean to snack on and are portable.  I can chew and work at the same time.  Fat free pop corn is also good.  The small 100 calorie packs provide a lot of snacking time if you just eat one piece at a time.

I also like SlimFast snack bars to satisfy my chocolate needs--like you said, it isn't hunger....this is brain cravings.  They have a chewy carmel one that I can nibble on but have something to chew.

I also take grapes in my bag for meetings....they are sweet and also easy to eat.  I like them better in meetings as I can still listen and chew.  I can't hear much when I'm chewing on a carrot.

You are in a challenge that I haven't completely figured out yet myself. 

I often focus on the quote that stuck in my head from somewhere:  Don't give up easily on what you REALLY for something that you want in the moment. 

Hang in there, girl.  You'll figure out something that will help you,

Hugs,

Anita

September 28, 2008, 10:26 am CDT

museums

Quote From: cussmotor2

Hey, girl, it is good to "see" you back.  Your vacation sounds like a great time--although I do remember something about the moaning and groaning from my boys when we did trips like that.  However, when we took them to the Smithsonian, they were enthralled--not with most parts, but with the Space and Aeronautical museum and the natural history part.  Now my granddaughter drags me to the Natural History museum in Atlanta ever visit.  We have to see the dinosaurs (I suspect they look to make sure I'm not that old yet!!).

I have a bike which bothers my back.  It is an old cast off from the little gym I go to when they got the new bikes that were hard for me to ride after knee replacement.  I got a WW DVD for inside workouts, but wound up falling as my balance isn't good since the doc straightened my legs.  I just fell over my own feet.  Needless to say, I'm not ready to try it again really soon.

I love my little gym--all the preppy people go to the big gyms, but we who just want to be healthy hang in there.  No one judges what we wear and I'm not embarassed to stick my big fanny in the air doing the floor things. 

Oops!! I am way out of time. 

Hugs to all of you--be back tomorrow.

Anita

Hi, Anita.  Thanks for telling me about the Natural History Museum in Atlanta.   I go to Marietta monthly for my Navy drill, and I've been thinking about arranging to stay an extra day and have my husband and the kids join me.  The Atlanta Zoo is a wonderful place, of course, but I didn't even know about the Natural History Museum.  We'll have to check it out!

Luckily, my two are great travelers.  But I have to remember that when I was there age, Gameboys and DVD players didn't exist!  They make traveling easier, but we have to be careful that they don't get "electronically isolated."  Every so often, we say, "Turn off the 'stuff' and let's play a car game, enjoy the scenery, talk about what we see, tell each other stories, etc., etc."  It's just too easy to let Pokemon babysit.    I'm glad my husband and I are on the same page with this.

Gertie

September 28, 2008, 10:40 am CDT

lots of stuff

Bren, congratulations on the 50 pounds.  How'd you do it???

Jeanne, happy travels!  I've visited New England only once, when I was 9 (I'm 47), and have always wanted to go back -- especially in the fall!

Mary, I'm ADD too.  Didn't find out until my daughter was diagnosed, and just for fun, I took the quiz she was given.  I'm more so than she is! 

Anita, good luck with the chefs in your family!  Ask them if they cook tomato-based sauces instead of cream-based.  Also ask about marinades.  They should be experienced with those.  Lots of people prefer them, so a 5-star restaurant should have them on the menu!!!  :-)

Oh yes, Mary, I keep zip-lock bags of frozen grapes in the freezer at work.  They take a long time to eat and help satisfy a sweet tooth.

My daughter and I just got braces on our teeth.  She's lamenting the fact that she can't have popcorn or caramel, but she's very creative.  Last night when my husband and son made popcorn (grrr...), she got a bowl of Cheerios without milk.  She said it took her as long to eat them as popcorn, and it helped.  A wise 9-year-old!

Gertie

September 29, 2008, 12:26 am CDT

Learning and living

Quote From: gertruda

Jeanne, happy travels!  I've visited New England only once, when I was 9 (I'm 47), and have always wanted to go back -- especially in the fall!

Mary, I'm ADD too.  Didn't find out until my daughter was diagnosed, and just for fun, I took the quiz she was given.  I'm more so than she is! 

Anita, good luck with the chefs in your family!  Ask them if they cook tomato-based sauces instead of cream-based.  Also ask about marinades.  They should be experienced with those.  Lots of people prefer them, so a 5-star restaurant should have them on the menu!!!  :-)

Oh yes, Mary, I keep zip-lock bags of frozen grapes in the freezer at work.  They take a long time to eat and help satisfy a sweet tooth.

My daughter and I just got braces on our teeth.  She's lamenting the fact that she can't have popcorn or caramel, but she's very creative.  Last night when my husband and son made popcorn (grrr...), she got a bowl of Cheerios without milk.  She said it took her as long to eat them as popcorn, and it helped.  A wise 9-year-old!

Gertie

Grapes and other frozen munchies... 

Thank you, that's a good thought Gertie and Anita...  I'll see what I can do. :)

As I posted elsewhere to Anita I have moved through a lot of the grief of diagnosis now...  It was mainly tied up with the 'not knowing' for so long.  The shame and the guilt that resulted from behaviors and tendencies that I didn't understand left quite a legacy of self doubt and distrust.  If you can't trust yourself to be consistent and don't understand why you are brilliant under some circumstances and pathetic another time It is difficult not to internalize that.

I have spent the last few weeks learning all that I can about this brain and the theories surrounding AD/HD.  I've been reading books by world leaders on the subject...  So powerful!!  The news is all good.

I've found that compulsive over-eating is a commonly reported behavior amongst woman with AD/HD, more so than any other eating disorder and also that when the AD/HD is treated effectively the food issues become much easier to deal with.  It's got to do with the impulsively.... I know that even at my best I make poor decisions when I am tired.  This is really when my frontal cortex isn't moderating decisions anymore and I am operating with the 'Lizard Brain', that ancient part of the brain that directly wires into the pleasure center that food stimulates so well.

Every piece of information I can tie into how I use the 7 keys...  I even discovered that I require protein in my breakfast because it makes my brain work more effectively...  It's so simple and works on so many levels...

My choice of ballet as my interest when I was growing up was actually one of the best things I could have done according to research on exercise and AD/HD by John Ratey... explains why things didn't really fall apart until 17 when I had to quit classical ballet after 10 year and hormones hit at the same time.  John recommends any martial art, ballet and gymnastics as his top 3 sports to assist the AD/HD individual's brain and life to operate at it's smoothest.

I love my Karate.... and I'm heading back into vigorous training.

I have much more support now... I'm seeing a therapist weekly.  My husband is getting help with treatment for his long-term depression and my rather difficult  DD16 is finally allowing us to get help for her too.

I'm spending much more of my day doing the things that light me up.  These are the interests that fire my brain and allow me to funnel energy into other things...

As I said, It's all good!

Enjoying the sunshine,

Mary DownUnder

September 29, 2008, 2:56 am CDT

Gertie, Mary DU, and lurkers

Just have a couple minutes, but Gertie I'm going to try the frozen grapes at home.  I could walk around quite a while with one grape. 

Thanks for the good ideas.

Had a really busy weekend....whew!!  And am I sure this morning.  Got down on the floor and actually got up by myself...now my legs hurt like crazy from that and the walking and stairs that I did.

Hugs,

Anita

September 30, 2008, 7:41 am CDT

Gertie

Gertie

Gertie, It took me about a year and a half to lose 50 pounds.  I worked with a Dietian and she helped me with things to eat that I like.  I don't eat red meat or pork.  I eat vegetable soup almost every night.  I also follow Dr. Phil's 7 Keys like a no fail environment really helps me.  The circle of support on this message board is very important to me as I check the message boards daily.  I exercise at least 5 days a week and enjoy swimming and walking.  I still have more weight to go on my weight loss journey.  Thanks for asking.  Have a good day.  Take care! :) Bren

October 1, 2008, 11:50 am CDT

IE, karate, etc

Thanks, Bren, for the good info!  It sounds like you do all the right things.  On any given day, I do some of the right things, but I'm inconstent.  Right now I'm doing pretty well with the food, not so good with the IE.  I'm joining the Y today (waited till Oct 1 because of a special this month; they're waiving the registration fee, which will save us about $90), and I've made a schedule for myself.  It's equal parts swimming, workout room (which could be weights, treadmill, or bike), and playing with the kids.  A day off is also built in.  If I stick with what I've got written down, I should make progress!

Mary, I'm so glad things are going well for you.  My daughter said that once she started taking her ADD medication, she stopped eating out of boredom.  I think that's because she can now focus on things she likes to do:  drawing, reading, dancing, etc.  She also takes karate, and I always noticed that during class, even before she started the medication, she was very focused.

Anita and everyone else, hello and I hope you're all having a great day!

Gertie 

October 2, 2008, 5:17 am CDT

Gertie

Thanks, Bren, for the good info!  It sounds like you do all the right things.  On any given day, I do some of the right things, but I'm inconstent.  Right now I'm doing pretty well with the food, not so good with the IE.  I'm joining the Y today (waited till Oct 1 because of a special this month; they're waiving the registration fee, which will save us about $90), and I've made a schedule for myself.  It's equal parts swimming, workout room (which could be weights, treadmill, or bike), and playing with the kids.  A day off is also built in.  If I stick with what I've got written down, I should make progress!

Mary, I'm so glad things are going well for you.  My daughter said that once she started taking her ADD medication, she stopped eating out of boredom.  I think that's because she can now focus on things she likes to do:  drawing, reading, dancing, etc.  She also takes karate, and I always noticed that during class, even before she started the medication, she was very focused.

Anita and everyone else, hello and I hope you're all having a great day!

Gertie 

Gertie, I think that consistency is the most important thing in weight loss.  The YMCA is great.  That is where my mom and I swim.  You will really enjoy it.  Have a great day.  Take care! :) Bren

October 2, 2008, 10:47 am CDT

E-mail me any time....

Quote From: cussmotor2

I think you were still posting when I just started lurking around the board. 

My name is Anita and I also lost 65 pounds with the challenge.  I've put half of it back on, but it is to all that I learned that I drew a line in the sand at that.  I really meant it when I said "never again" to 290!!

I agree with you so much--hit the gym, clean out the kitchen, and follow the keys.  It all sounds so easy, but we know that it is not so simplistic. f We really have to move and we have to work those keys. 

Kim, I remember you because you were the only other one that never could say they loved going to the gym.  I still go, but I need to boop up the frequency of my trips.  My great trainer got married and moved away and no one is there to really motivate me now.  She was great and did rehab therapy, so I was confident that she wouldn't damaga me more than I was.  But I never felt that burn that others talk about.

I'll never stop my IE as what I do love is the feeling of being able to keep moving without so much pain.  With so much arthritis, I really stiffen up when I don't work out.  I tell it first in my arms and my back--I have a back injury from decades ago and it lets me know when I need to move.

Working is not an option is you want to be more mobile and active as you age either. 

Got to move,

Hope to hear more from you.

Hugs,

Anita

C21kimmy@aol.com

October 2, 2008, 10:51 am CDT

Too Funny!

Quote From: jeannedeps

Hi Vickib,

I read your message and you had a typeo on the word goal and it turned out to be Goat instead,  well that just struck me so funny, I have not laughed in a long time, and I'm not making fun of you, really, its just

that all I could picture is this 50 lb. goat and the more I thought about it the more I laughed.  wouldn't it

be easy for us if it was that easy...just get rid of the goat...I hope I didn't offend you, I really took it as a funny "bloop"  Please write me and lets be buddies, I need someone to support my journey, I just started and I have a long way to go.   Jeanne

I don't blame you for laughing...it was funny!  E-mail me any time C21kimmy@aol.com.

LOL

Kim

First | Prev | 5073 | 5074 | 5075 | 5076 | 5077 | 5078 | 5079 | 5080 | 5081 | Next | Last