Message Boards

Topic : A Circle of Friends with Loving Support

Number of Replies: 50813
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:18:46 am
Author : dataimport

This board is for anyone who desires friendship & Weight Loss Support utilizing Dr. Phil's 7 Keys to Success.

We strive to provide loving support without being judgmental to others.

We all understand that there are events in our lives that can have an effect on our emotional eating. You can discuss that here should you so desire.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 27, 2008, 2:38 am CDT

Gertie

Quote From: gertruda

The last post I'm seeing is mine, from Oct. 13.  Is my computer just not picking them up for some reason?  Or has everyone dropped into a black hole?

I miss y'all!

By the way, I'd lost 11 pounds but was on the road the last two days and went a little nuts, so I gained a couple back.  Boy, it's easier to gain it than to lose it!  I'm back on track and going to the gym at the Y.  I really like it there - the trainers are wonderful about showing people how to use the machines, giving advice on what to do according to your goal, and not making you self-conscious about asking for help or not being in great shape to begin with!  I think I've found my niche.

Gertie

Hey there, friend.  Nope your computer is not messing up.  I sent you a reply to your Oct 13th message, but that has been the only one made since then.  Most everyone went to Spark People or fall to the wayside.  I've gone to spark people more than once and I there are so many people that I can't get into it....and there is so much stuff that I don't have time to mess with.

At least, Dr P, for awhile at least is simple and straight forward.  I don't know what changes are in the wind for this board.  Everyone wants more stuff to play with, but personall, I don't have time to sit around and play with photos, goodies, etc.  I just want to communicate.  If I had time to play, I'd make that album for my boys or the quilts for my grandchildren that I want to do.

Enough grumbling.  Congratularions on those 11 pounds!!  That is awesome.

Boy, those road trips can really get out of control easily.  Talk about eating out of boredom!!  You did good however by only putting a couple pounds back on.  I gained five on an 8-9 hour drive.  Didn't want to stop for an hour and eat.  Afterwards, I wished I had.

If you are willing to hang in here, girl, I'll keep posting back to you.  I'm not sure what I'll do if everyone drifts away......

You take care and have a great day getting thinner and more healthy.

Hugs,

Anita

October 28, 2008, 8:56 am CDT

Hangin' in

Hi there, Anita,

If you want to, you can email me at karenjo246@yahoo.com.  I just set up that account for Dr. Phil stuff.  I usually answer email a couple of times a week -- could do more, but I refuse to be a slave to my computer!  I also answer my cell phone only if it's my husband or the school -- anyone else can leave a voicemail!

My weight loss has hit a plateau ever since that weekend out of town.  I'll gain one, lose one, gain one, etc.  Right now I'm ten pounds to the good.  I'm also doing more aerobic activity since joining the Y.   It's working out really well, since the kids are there for tennis twice a week and swimming on Saturdays.  That's my gym time now, and I'm doing better at getting there one or two other days as well.  I'm fortunate to have a job where I can work flex hours, so if exercise really matters to me, I can make time for it.  Easier said than done when the work piles up, but I've got to make this a priority.

How's with you?

Gertie

November 3, 2008, 3:08 pm CST

Gertie

Hi there, Anita,

If you want to, you can email me at karenjo246@yahoo.com.  I just set up that account for Dr. Phil stuff.  I usually answer email a couple of times a week -- could do more, but I refuse to be a slave to my computer!  I also answer my cell phone only if it's my husband or the school -- anyone else can leave a voicemail!

My weight loss has hit a plateau ever since that weekend out of town.  I'll gain one, lose one, gain one, etc.  Right now I'm ten pounds to the good.  I'm also doing more aerobic activity since joining the Y.   It's working out really well, since the kids are there for tennis twice a week and swimming on Saturdays.  That's my gym time now, and I'm doing better at getting there one or two other days as well.  I'm fortunate to have a job where I can work flex hours, so if exercise really matters to me, I can make time for it.  Easier said than done when the work piles up, but I've got to make this a priority.

How's with you?

Gertie

Glad you are still to the good side.  I was stalled for ages and since I've been seriously curtailing my spending, I've found I've cut out some of the extras and have started losing.  It is slow, but I am losing.  You might try jumbling up what you eat and see if that helps.  Think I'd eaten the same veggies for so long that my body didn't consider it food!

My son was just here at the end of last week and I must admit that I got off track.  There is still food in the fridge and I hate to throw it out.  My folks don't eat some of the stuff that we eat--like bagels, etc.  The bacon will go to them, but I'm left with pita bread and bagels.  Mmmmmm.

I know what you mean about not being a slave to your computer.  I'm on the computer all day at work and supervising kids on the computer, so I usually don't get on in the evenings. 

I'm still having a hard time getting to the gym.  We may have twilight school from 3 - 5:30 at my building.  If so, I might try to work one evening a week.  I could sure use the money, but can't afford more time than that.  Even that will wear me out.

Have a good day.  Oh, I'll send you an e-mail in the morning.

Hugs,

Anita

November 4, 2008, 6:40 am CST

New to the message boards!

Hi! I'm Pam from Ontario (the one in Canada!) Looking for some support, and a user-friendly message board. Needed to lose 45 pounds. Lost the first 25 with Dr. Phil a year ago. Then things turned a little goofy with my aging parents and I've been kind of stuck there since. I have an overweight husband who isn't interested in changing his lifestyle, so not very helpful! Things are still goofy with my aging parents. So any support I can give or get will be helpful I'm sure.

Thanks!

November 5, 2008, 2:53 am CST

Pam

Quote From: hangouttodry

Hi! I'm Pam from Ontario (the one in Canada!) Looking for some support, and a user-friendly message board. Needed to lose 45 pounds. Lost the first 25 with Dr. Phil a year ago. Then things turned a little goofy with my aging parents and I've been kind of stuck there since. I have an overweight husband who isn't interested in changing his lifestyle, so not very helpful! Things are still goofy with my aging parents. So any support I can give or get will be helpful I'm sure.

Thanks!

Welcome to the board.  We aren't so busy now, but I return here daily in hopes of finding some support. 

Gosh I understand how goofy life can get with aging parents.  My brother and wife live with my parents, but they only do what they do.  So I am left with the over-flow and that is crazy enough.  It's hard to have time of my own when I'm off work and often just wears me out mentally so that it is hard to think about cooking.  Thank goodness, I am single again and don't have to cook for anyone else.

I am from Kansas and I lost 60 pounds with Dr P several years ago and gained some of that back with some craziness in my life.  But I have hung onto the 30 lb loss and haven't relinquished it.  It has taken me forever, but I am losing again even though I can't seem to get to the gym like I should be.  I should have gone last night, but I was so mentally tired that I collapsed in a chair and stayed there.  That's not good.

I teach high school and some days are just draining.

If you care to stay around, some more people might join us.  This website is the easiest to negotiate that I've found.  I just need support--I don't need all the other bells and whistles.  But, like I said.  I'm here and sometimes I just post to myself.

Interested in discussing the keys?  I need to refresh myself again, so I'd be happy to get real.

Hugs,

Anita

November 5, 2008, 9:43 am CST

Hi Pam and Anita

Welcome, Pam.  As Anita said, this board isn't getting much activity lately -- in fact, I think we're the only two on it right now!  Yes, Anita, I'd love to dust off my Dr. Phil book and discuss it.  That might help.

I've lost 13 pounds to date.  It's coming off slowly, at the rate of a pound or two a week, but I'll get there.  Then the challenge will be keeping it there!  I've actually lost the craving for fast food...well, mostly.  Last night I took the kids to Chik Filet between chess and karate, and I got their Southwest chicken salad.  The kids had nuggets and fries, and I only ate two of their nuggets and a couple of fries!  I know I'm flirting with disaster when I take them for fast food.  We usually do it a couple of nights a week.  After-school stuff isn't what it was when I was a kid!

Joining the Y has helped me a lot, but I'm fortunate enough to have a fairly flexible schedule.  Don't know what I'd do if I taught or did a 9-to-5 job.  I'm a Navy Reservist too, and last spring I asked a Marine GySgt to provide me with some PT (Physical Training) accountability.  He was all too happy to comply!  I email him weekly with what I've done (or haven't), and he gives me advice.  Actually, it's more like instruction -- even though he always starts with, "...with all due respect, ma'am" -- and then he tells me what he really thinks.

Here's a quote from the Gunny last week: 

"With all due respect, ma'am, there is NO EXCUSE for no PT six days a week.  If you're going to have a busy day, set your little Mickey Mouse clock for 20 minutes early and GET YOUR LAZY BUTT OUT OF BED and JUST DO IT!!!  Remember a walk around the block is STILL PT!  You need to do this for YOURSELF, your husband, your kids, the Marines, and YOURSELF."

Sometimes I need a kick in the you-know-what.  I know that doesn't do it for everyone, but the Gunny's "encouragement" always gets me back on track.

Again, I'd love to do the book. 

Gertie

November 5, 2008, 1:07 pm CST

Hi Anita and Gertie

I'll be checking in often! Doesn't take much some days to throw a wrench (or small order of fries) into things. But, equally, some days just a word or two of encouragement, or a "been there" story is enough to get things back on track.

I think I need a Gunny too! It made me laugh!

I'll check in often!

Pam

November 6, 2008, 2:50 am CST

Gertie

Welcome, Pam.  As Anita said, this board isn't getting much activity lately -- in fact, I think we're the only two on it right now!  Yes, Anita, I'd love to dust off my Dr. Phil book and discuss it.  That might help.

I've lost 13 pounds to date.  It's coming off slowly, at the rate of a pound or two a week, but I'll get there.  Then the challenge will be keeping it there!  I've actually lost the craving for fast food...well, mostly.  Last night I took the kids to Chik Filet between chess and karate, and I got their Southwest chicken salad.  The kids had nuggets and fries, and I only ate two of their nuggets and a couple of fries!  I know I'm flirting with disaster when I take them for fast food.  We usually do it a couple of nights a week.  After-school stuff isn't what it was when I was a kid!

Joining the Y has helped me a lot, but I'm fortunate enough to have a fairly flexible schedule.  Don't know what I'd do if I taught or did a 9-to-5 job.  I'm a Navy Reservist too, and last spring I asked a Marine GySgt to provide me with some PT (Physical Training) accountability.  He was all too happy to comply!  I email him weekly with what I've done (or haven't), and he gives me advice.  Actually, it's more like instruction -- even though he always starts with, "...with all due respect, ma'am" -- and then he tells me what he really thinks.

Here's a quote from the Gunny last week: 

"With all due respect, ma'am, there is NO EXCUSE for no PT six days a week.  If you're going to have a busy day, set your little Mickey Mouse clock for 20 minutes early and GET YOUR LAZY BUTT OUT OF BED and JUST DO IT!!!  Remember a walk around the block is STILL PT!  You need to do this for YOURSELF, your husband, your kids, the Marines, and YOURSELF."

Sometimes I need a kick in the you-know-what.  I know that doesn't do it for everyone, but the Gunny's "encouragement" always gets me back on track.

Again, I'd love to do the book. 

Gertie

I think I'm going to print your Gunny's words out and put in on the garage door to the kitchen.  My trainer was like your Gunny--I've worked out at the same gym for about 15 years.  It is a small place and the trainer/owner was a tiger.  But she sold the place and ran off and got married.  They have found no tigers--everone is so nice and understanding.  I need a kick in the fanny to keep me going some times.

It isn't enough, but I've parked in the teacher parking lot a few times instead of the handicap when I know I need to walk more or I know that I will be having one of those days where I have to sit most of the time.  It is a half mile +/- to be room and back.  But, I have a stationary bike in my living room, so there is no excuse for NO exercise at all!!!!  Where does this Gunny live????????????

We both need to pledge to do some IE today!

Hugs,

Anita

November 6, 2008, 2:57 am CST

Pam

Quote From: hangouttodry

I'll be checking in often! Doesn't take much some days to throw a wrench (or small order of fries) into things. But, equally, some days just a word or two of encouragement, or a "been there" story is enough to get things back on track.

I think I need a Gunny too! It made me laugh!

I'll check in often!

Pam

Morning.  Believe it or not, I think that if you start viewing those fries as globs of fat sticking to your arteries, you might begin to think differently.  I started on the road to heathier eating about 20 years ago.  It has been a slow process, but I was like everyone else, I loved those chips, fries, and fast food goodies.  But I almost lost my father to a massive heart attack and I started working with my doctor to be more heart healthy.  Believe it or not, now when I see people eating such unhealthy things, I really feel for them--and I feel a bit smug because I beat the desire mostly for the stuff they are eating.

I am a testiment to the fact that even healthy food can make/keep a person fat.  But I know I can change because I've already made a huge change in my life.  It just takes time and patience--and effort.

I'll be so glad to have you here when ever you can pop in. 

Hugs,

Anita

November 6, 2008, 5:23 am CST

Good MOrning!

Crazy day today. My 82 year old Dad is having surgery. Packing a bag of distractions and fruit. The hopsital actually has quite a nice and cheap salad bar, and lots of stairs, so I always have a choice. That's what I find so nuts about being overweight. Most people know what to do, we just don't do it.  We're getting smarter and dumber at the same time. I'm re-reading the book. Especially healing feelings. Had a hard time with that the first time, and honestly, kind of skipped over it. Having trouble finding the feelings to heal, I guess. Nothing significant seems to have kick started weight-gain for me. Not that I have been able to find anyways. Just slowly crept up and up over the last bunch or years. But I will go over it again and do some soul searching and see what I can come figure out!

Have a great day! Fabulous weather today where I am. 19 celcius (sorry, don't do farenheit very well!)

Pam

First | Prev | 5075 | 5076 | 5077 | 5078 | 5079 | 5080 | 5081 | Next | Last