Message Boards

Topic : 05/07 A Dr. Phil Family on Fire: House Intervention, Part 2

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 04, 2007, 12:02:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with The Dr. Phil Family. Gene and Myra’s marriage has become a war zone, with ugly fights involving name-calling, spitting and throwing objects. Their children were caught in the middle and wrote to Dr. Phil for a family intervention. To find out if their broken marriage has a chance and to heal the resentment between all the family members, they move into The Dr. Phil House. First, Dr. Phil arranges for Myra to meet Lee, a pregnant self-proclaimed mistress in a long-term relationship with a married man. Will hearing another perspective help Myra let go of her anger and bitterness over Gene’s adulterous past? Next, since Gene admits he treats women like sexual objects, Dr. Phil wants to set him straight. Three successful women arrive at the house, determined to change Gene’s views about the opposite sex. After listening to them speak, Gene breaks down and says he wants to become a better husband. But do the ladies think he’s sincere? Gene and Myra’s three adult children, Melissa, Edwin and Eugene, join them in the house. After trying to have secret conversations off camera, Melissa gets a wake-up call when Dr. Phil knocks on the door. Then, in an exercise designed to get to the root of their resentments for each other, each family member takes a turn in the “hot seat” while the others open up about what they hate about them. Guess which person can’t take the criticism and wants to leave, then talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 5, 2007, 8:44 am CDT

The day of DIVORCE is here!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, life is entirely too short to allow this kind of behavior to have even made it to an intervention. The children should have been removed by a loving support member such as a close relative, and either left the parents alone in the house to kill each other, separate the property, meet with lawyers, fight over custody without the children in sight. And end this ugly WAR. 

This family will never ever have a peaceful recovery, even with DR.PHIL'S miracle network of Dr.'s available.  The scars and hurts that are in the hearts and souls will never heal, the anger and resentment will never be forgiven. 

Good luck in the Part 2,

May 5, 2007, 11:13 am CDT

In a Rut

I doesn't matter if they divorce or not, each of them is locked into relationship patterns that will repeat.  She has been abused before, he has abused.  They both expect the behavior as unsuccessful as it is.  Dr. Phil has to start at ground zero to rebuild their interactive behavior and they may not be able to change.

Certainly they should not stay together as they are because of impact on the children.

May 5, 2007, 1:03 pm CDT

05/07 A Dr. Phil Family on Fire: House Intervention, Part 2

i got to coment on what i just saw, wow i couldnt beleive i just read what i read, i was goin to play the video, but didnt have to, those cameras of dr phils are smart!!! i couldnt tell if it were the girl or boy askin the other to go to the bathroom but it dont matter, dr phil will get to the bottom of that, i bet if they knew those cameras could think like a eagle they would have just used sighn language, i know i would, dr phil i cant wait to see what happens with those two i see you didnt look too happy with those two one bit.

May 5, 2007, 2:06 pm CDT

Make an effort to fix things.If you're not successful then ,other than the 7 year old, what difference does it really make?

Except for the young child they are probably just as well off together as they would be apart. The parents have gotten used to this behavior.The older kids grew up in it. The child is innocent. At least try for the sake of the child. You know this is just how some people live thier lives. It's not the way I live my life but maybe I have just been fortunate. It's certainly not the way I'd want to live my life.I'm feeling pretty negative.I just spent the last several days with families that will argue over anything. A funeral where the adopted brother was not mentioned and no one (except me and my husband) paid any attention to him. Arguments about who got what flowers.(Potted and perenials) I kept my mouth shut the whole time. So much bitterness and hate. They will never change.They don't want to change. I imagine this family in the house is the same way. I think some people are like pigs in mud. They like to wallow around and then when they get all muddy,they start arguing and cussin'.I'm so glad to be home.

May 5, 2007, 2:48 pm CDT

Wake up call

With no question this man is wrong having the affairs and having a chauvinistic attitude that he does have, but...... she is so, so angry, understandably because of the affair with the 19 year old. What she has to do is ask herself what is the priority in this situation. Is it for her to be angry and punish him forever, or is it more important for all concerned that she drop the anger to try to help get their marriage back. I am like Dr Phil a hopelessly optimistic. They married for a reason, get back to basics and try to work this out. It has not only damaged the two of them, but I am sure in upcoming episodes you will see the tremendous damage this has done to their children. They need to fix themselves and get about the business of fixing those kids. I know he is a cad, but blame here is 50% not 80% 20%. Her name calling cuts him as deeply as his affairs hurt her. Not excusing him at all.......he is a beast, a pig for doing this. If he were that unhappy with their relationship he should have been man enough to talk to her, not a coward and have affairs. Grow up both of you to save your children. They most certainly do NOT deserve to be warped by your fighing!

May 5, 2007, 3:27 pm CDT

Intervention

The damage is done and the best way for this relationship to move on, is by divorce. The children are the persons that need to be rescued and now. How much more ugly do theses parents what their own children to go through? It certainly is evident the children growing up haven't had a postive role model in their parents and each child might be doomed on furture relationships in their adulthood. In fact, If each child could develop a decent relationship with each parent and stay out of the parents mess and focus on their future the more successful they could become in their chosen relationships. Quite possibly end up having a long, loving and lasting relationship with their future spouses. I know myself as a parent I want the best for my child and I feel these parents do to. So shifting the focus to the children in this intervention should be top priority. 

May 5, 2007, 4:31 pm CDT

Just sad

Quote From: swissmickey

You know, life is entirely too short to allow this kind of behavior to have even made it to an intervention. The children should have been removed by a loving support member such as a close relative, and either left the parents alone in the house to kill each other, separate the property, meet with lawyers, fight over custody without the children in sight. And end this ugly WAR. 

This family will never ever have a peaceful recovery, even with DR.PHIL'S miracle network of Dr.'s available.  The scars and hurts that are in the hearts and souls will never heal, the anger and resentment will never be forgiven. 

Good luck in the Part 2,

I can't beleive adults treat each other this way in front of their children.   I can't beleive they talk like that to begin with!    I understand he might have lived in the streets growing up, my husband didnt have a great upbringing either and his parents were abusive to each other and their kids.  I swear my husband was raised by wood nymphs, he's the most kind gentle person I know and we work hard at not trying to say things to each other that we'll regret.  We have a fight once every 7 years or so and it's usually over something silly but it's never violent or abusive and it's over in 24 hours (pout mode).

I feel so sorry for the children that these parents can't be adult enough to understand the kids come first.  Luckily my husband learned HOW NOT to act from his parents, he's a prime example of  "you can't always blame your upbringing" for bad actions, you have the power to change.

I think (granted just my thoughts) the husband doesn't like himself, the wife doesn't like herself.  It's  hard to be respectful of anyone else if you can't respect yourself.  So you try to bring others down by using bully tactics (name calling abuse etc).

I wish doctor phil luck with this, I hope he can help, if nothing that he helps those kids.

Sticks

May 5, 2007, 9:05 pm CDT

Grow up !!

These two people need to split up and I think this is a normal way of life for them. I've seen people that live on the streets with better sense than those two. Those children need to taken out of that enviroment or this type of action will continue through their relationships in life.

I feel for the kids not the adults. They will not be happy until they either go to jail or one or both end up dead. Save the children!! No loss for the parents. They are acting out and need some reality checking.

May 5, 2007, 10:57 pm CDT

Good grief

I think that what Gene to Myra is dispicable but I also think that Myra also enjoy being the victim, she used it to her avantage. She like to throw it at h is face but at the same time, he pays the bills and she has a roof over her head.

I think she should get the a divorce and get a hell away from that guy. I love it that Dr. Phil made her admit that she was is mistress when their relationship started I guess when you build a house on a crocked foundation, it end up falling down one day. I think that Myra and Gene are beyond help but the children should get help,

Tecty

May 6, 2007, 1:41 am CDT

The narcissist

Hey Dr. Phil

Even though we have not seen part one here in Norway yet, I am guessing who is leaving the house, and that is - Gene.

He seems to me to be like my ex husband - a psycopath. Withour empaty and responsabillity.

I through my husband out in the end. Did not see any reason why I should stay married to that son of a b...! The problem was that  by then was 3 months pregnant. That matter also explain this man. He was thrilled with me being pregnant (had been married for 9 months by then) but all of a sudden it seems without any warning - because we had many lovely years also, but one day he said: either I abort the child or he would divorce me.

I said: I divorce you! This he did not like at all. To punish me he punished my daughter for 20 years by refusing to see her, saying he did not have time. To much tennis-playing! And so on.

When he realised he was dying he got in touch with her, telling her that it was ME who kept her away form him!

That huge lie may have done something to our relationship, because today my daughter is being very unempathetic to me.

I love your shows, dr. Phil, I only wish you would focus on people with the above mentioned "personal disturbance".

Yours sincerely, Sidsel Dahl

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last