Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 Strung Out!

Number of Replies: 229
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 04, 2007, 12:05:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 07/09/07) Imagine your mother so high on prescription drugs that she falls face first into her food, or your husband on a 15-day drug binge that ends with him passing out in front of your young children. For today’s guests, this is their reality. Becky says her life was once a fairy tale that included being married to a semi-pro football player, until her storybook husband, Donell, got addicted to methamphetamines. Now, every day of his life revolves around cooking, shooting, eating, snorting and inhaling methamphetamines, while Becky spends her time worried that he won’t make it through another day. With paranoia as a constant side effect, Donell prepares to face Dr. Phil Is there any hope of turning his life around? Then, Janet admits she’s been hooked on drugs for 25 years, but says she flushed her prescription drugs down the toilet and is currently clean. Her children, Jaymie, Michael and Dawn say she’s a liar. When Dr. Phil confronts her about the 15 pills she still takes daily, Janet turns her son in for being strung out on more drugs than she. Do both mother and son have an addiction problem? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 9, 2007, 1:44 pm CDT

Do you know how you get addicted to drugs?

This is the real deal, this is the secret, this is the only answer to that question!

You try drugs, you get addicted and the other people around you pay!  It's that simple!

Don't try drugs, any drugs, and you cannot ever get addicted!  Don't drink so you can never be an alcoholic and don't try drugs, so you can never be a drug addict!  Plain and simple!

Geez!

May 9, 2007, 1:45 pm CDT

Drug addicted parents.

I am 16 years old, and my mother is a drug addict, and my father an alcoholic.
From the time I was in third grade and I saw a commercial on TV about marijuana, and it showed a pipe, I have known that my mother was using marijuana. I tried asking my mom about it, only to be told that I was "too young to understand, maybe I would when I was older". Well, she was right. I'm now older and I understand completely that my mom smokes pot. Here's my question; How is it that I'm expected to understand right from wrong and know not to use drugs or alcohol, when its right in front of my face all the time? There was a time when I was extremely angry at my mom, and to "get back at her", I stole her weed and sold it. It wasn't until later that I realized how much trouble I could have gotten in if I was caught in posession, but at the time, I knew it was what would truly tick my mom off. Once my mom realized the weed was gone, she confronted me, and told me she was going to quit. That was a year ago, and still every night she goes in her room to "smoke a cigarette". My point is, drug addicted parents are so much more common than realized, and it DOES make a difference in a child's life.

May 9, 2007, 1:51 pm CDT

Drugs are bad!

I have a cousin who was addicted to cocain and he never got help until he believed it for himself that he needed help. You can't go for rehab unless you are not in denial and you truly believe you need help and WANT to get help. He's a better person now than before. These guests today don't truly believe they need help.

May 9, 2007, 1:59 pm CDT

05/09 Strung Out!

i can relate to the meth addition. my daughter had a problem with this evil drug. her husband has been sentence to 12 years in the federal prison for cooking the stuff. i thought my daughter would be able to stop using but she was very weak. she ended up losing custody of my 2 granddaughters to dcfs, that was 4 years ago. we're still going to court fighting to get them back into our family. she continued using and finally was sentence to 2 years in doc. she did 8 months and was released. she has been out now for 1 1/2 years and she has remained sober. i'm not saying she hasn't  dipped at the well but she no longer has this bad habit. it has torn me to pieces losing my granddaughters ( in illinois grandparents have no rights) and then my daughter but she has pulled herself together and is trying very hard to get her daughters back , but they keep asking more and more from her. she is keeping her chin up and praying to GOD that he sees that she has been doing what she needs to do to get her babies back. my heart goes out to anyone that has a problem with any drug. life is to short and precious to waste it on drugs. GOD BLESS.

May 9, 2007, 2:00 pm CDT

drug addicted pharmicists

Does anybody know if it is common for a pharmicist to be addicted to drugs? I personally know a pharmamcist who has extremely erractic behavior and seems to lack a conscience and I have wondered if this person could be using their profession as a means to support a possible habit. Any one hear or experience this?

May 9, 2007, 2:09 pm CDT

Where were you Dr. Phil when I needed you?

My name is Theresa, I am a 24 year old woman who had a mother that was just like this one.  I also had a sister who followed in my mothers foot steps.  It was as far back as I can remember that my mother was high on perscription drugs and as soon as my sister was old enough to help her self to the drugs she did just that.  Old enough being about 12 or youger.  It was when she was 14, may 4th 1996 that the perscription drugs killed my only sister. At the age of 13 I found my only sister, my best friend dead in her bed in the room next to mine. She was one year older then me.  My mother failed in the worst way(they were her pills) and then wouldnt stop taking them her self.  The whole family knew that they both had this problem and did nothing.  This was the only family I ever had, my Father was not in the picture.  I told my mother a couple months after my sister died that if she did not stop taking the pills that I was going to move in with my Dad, who I recently seen at my sisters funeral.  She said that if I left she would kill her self.  So I said we have a deal- you stop the pills, I stay, you live, and we will be happy.  She did not stop, I left, and she overdosed puposely and died.  She left me a note detailing that she hopes to see me in the next life.  The rest of her side of the family blamed me for her death.  I was 13 years old!  I have still had no help on how to deal with this. So I begg all of you out there that have this problem "Please get help" !  I am a mother of 3 now and have never been addicted to anything.  But now my children dont have a Grandmother or their Aunt. And I always feel alone.

May 9, 2007, 2:10 pm CDT

Been there done that

I am a mother of 5 that use to be strung out on meth also. I ws as bad as the gentleman that ws n the show today. I thought I could conquor the world while on that poison. Truth is I lost everything I valued. I lost my home my kids my marriage. I lost it all. I remarried another meth addict and thought I was the happiest I had ever been. But then I got so paranoid one day I decided I couldn't do this anymore. At the moment I was trying to go to sleep after a two week binge. It was nine in the morning and my kids were hungry. I screamed at them to shut up and leave me alone. I look directly in their little eyes and saw fear and pain. I hugged them cried and appologized. I vowed to never touch it again and commit myself to my babies and my marriage. My husband on the other hand couldn't stop.He keep telling me he had no problem and that he culd quit if he wanted to he just wasn't ready. Months go by them a year and he is out cooking dope, doing dope, doing doped up females in trade for dope. He was dealing meth also. I took so much physical and mental abuse thinking I could change him. I drove myself to the hospital when I went into labor with baby #5. After that I went home to him just so he could leave and go cook some more dope.

We ended up separating and living in different towns. He drove over to my house one night strung out and drunk. He broke into my home and stole some of my property and the childrens clothes and he left. He had a wreck no more than 3 miles from my home and he died. I couldn't save him, I feel like I gave up on him. I carry this burden on my shoulders everyday. I know it is my fault he is gone. I know it is because of me that my kids do not have him anymore. I am doing the best that I can but it is just not enough. Yes it is a hard additction to beat. I wish  I had the strength to just forget I ever had it. The cravings are strong and they are there. It is so hard to stay sober and be the momma that my babies need. But somehow I am doing it. By the grace of God, I am surviving.

I wasn't lucky enough have treatment, I have been doing this for the past 2 years just on will power and love for my babies and my new husband. Some days are so soul ripping I want to kill myself. It causes problems with me and my new husband. But I just look at the 3 out of 5 babies I had that live with me, remember what they have lost, and I get myself busy with chores or a tv show. I sometimes do not have the strength to get out of bed, but somehow I still force myself out of bed to feed and bathe my babies.The depression is horrible but I get through, and so can everyone else. Everyone just needs to take the first step to say "I WANT TO LIVE, I WANT MY KIDS TO KNOW THE REAL ME, I NEED MY KIDS AS MUCH AS THEY NEED ME."

May 9, 2007, 2:18 pm CDT

keep hanging in there

Quote From: nyletak09

From the time I was in third grade and I saw a commercial on TV about marijuana, and it showed a pipe, I have known that my mother was using marijuana. I tried asking my mom about it, only to be told that I was "too young to understand, maybe I would when I was older". Well, she was right. I'm now older and I understand completely that my mom smokes pot. Here's my question; How is it that I'm expected to understand right from wrong and know not to use drugs or alcohol, when its right in front of my face all the time? There was a time when I was extremely angry at my mom, and to "get back at her", I stole her weed and sold it. It wasn't until later that I realized how much trouble I could have gotten in if I was caught in posession, but at the time, I knew it was what would truly tick my mom off. Once my mom realized the weed was gone, she confronted me, and told me she was going to quit. That was a year ago, and still every night she goes in her room to "smoke a cigarette". My point is, drug addicted parents are so much more common than realized, and it DOES make a difference in a child's life.

you dont have to be like your parents, read what I went through on my message to Dr.Phil.  I have been where you are and  believe that I have always been different then the rest of my drug using family.  Aftter all they are all dead and I am here with my 3 babies, and my amaizing husband.  Please be the person that is stronger then them. Just that you are watching this show and asking these questions proves that you are different from them.  You are so right it is way more common then people think.  And it goes way further back then Anna Nicole.  I was Danny Lyn only I was 13 and it happened to me 11 years ago.  Be your self DONT BE THEM! God Bless You, Theresa

May 9, 2007, 2:18 pm CDT

Just a reply

Quote From: twinsma546

Does anybody know if it is common for a pharmicist to be addicted to drugs? I personally know a pharmamcist who has extremely erractic behavior and seems to lack a conscience and I have wondered if this person could be using their profession as a means to support a possible habit. Any one hear or experience this?
Yes I do hav expeirience with this.It is very common. n old friend of mine was getting her xanax and oxy's from her pharmasist. They traded meth for pills. Sad isn't it?

May 9, 2007, 2:21 pm CDT

I understand

Quote From: nyletak09

I understand your problem and how you feel. I am 39yrs old with 3 beautiful children, however I was raised the same way. My mom was always smoking pot. My step father too and he was an alcoholic and he did cocaine. My step father grew marijuanna and was a drug dealer. He used to hold me down under the covers and blow the smoke in my face to laugh, he wanted to get me high. Because of this life style, I was sexually abused and never had a child hood. What I want you to know is that, You can do better and over come!!! You look at the person you want to be and you choose to work toward that. I have NEVER done drugs. I've been a wonderful mother to my children, even if I have to say so. Don't get me wrong, I've had my problems as an adult. My husband of 20yrs divorced me and 1 yr and 2 days later he committed suicide.... that is another story, but I know that you can be happy no matter where you are in your life, I choose happiness. I refuse to become what I was raised or to let the factors around me define who I am or who I become. I have a 21yr old son that is serving in the Navy. He went through Nuclear power school in the Navy. My 18yr old daughter is about to graduate high school and moving to Fl. to go to school and live with her best friend and is the most wonderful beautiful young lady you will ever meet. My 16yr old daughter is my rock! We call her "little momma" she is not about to let anything happen to any of us. Yes, I've had my problems, but I've choosen and made a wonderful life for myself!!!! It can be done!!! Only you can choose and make you who you want to be.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last