Message Boards

Topic : *Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Caged

Number of Replies: 252
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 11, 2007, 12:46:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Friday, May 18 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT) only on CBS

Dr. Phil goes inside the horrifying story of a 9-year-old boy who was allegedly held prisoner in his own home for three years. His father, Randall Piercy, is behind bars, charged with torturing his little son and locking him away from the rest of the world. Piercy says he’s a loving father, wrongly accused, but authorities found the boy in deplorable conditions: he was sitting on his bed in his underwear, his window was covered with paper, the light switch was taped over, and a soda bottle on the floor was filled with urine. Dr. Phil takes a firsthand look at the conditions the boy was living in, then sits down for a face-to-face interview with the alleged abuser and asks some hard questions. Piercy has two older sons, Josh and Jacob, who offer two widely divergent accounts of what went on in the family home. When the father and both sons are asked to take a lie detector test, who appears to be telling the truth, and who declines to submit to the test at all? Is justice served with Piercy behind bars, or is this a simple case of an overprotective father taking measures to protect his son? Share your thoughts here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 13, 2007, 7:37 pm CDT

*Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Caged

Quote From: lisastyd

First I hope the father and as well as the mother stay behind bars for child abuse. This man can not even think for once that he was doing the right thing for his child. No child belongs in a room day in and day out with out going outside, going to school and being able to socialize and have friends. This man and his wife are sick people and I pray to God that they will stay in jail for the rest of their lives. By staying in jail that is the way they treated their child. Let thim see what abuse is like.
First i will like to say for every parent who abuse there kids it's wrong,and it is sick. Every child needs to be treated with love,and respect. If you plan to have kids you should take the responsibility to care of them not abuse them. Parents who manipulate there kids to be against the other parent is wrong. Locking up kids in a bedroom,bathroom is like being a prisoner in your own home.These people have no moral what so ever i hope they burn in hell. God bless our children's.

May 14, 2007, 2:38 am CDT

Quote From: mickey_64

Here in Reno area, we had something similar to the young boy being caged by his father.  Two young children, a boy and an older girl, were kept locked in a bathroom in the home of their grandmother, mother, and stepfather, for ten years.  They slept on the floor, had very little to eat and were never allowed to leave the small bathroom.  One day the girl managed to overtake her grandmother and get out, with her brother.  The girl was found wandering in the streets and the two were rescued.  The adults were convicted and sentenced to prison terms.  Justice was served.  The two children were put into foster care and are now doing very well.  It just amazes me that parents can do this to their own flesh and blood.   However, my own mother hated her children but that was due to the fact that my dad cheated on her and eventually left her with us to raise, on her own.  But as cruel as she was, she never locked us up or starved us. 

Quote from sassie:  It is so sad that a Mother of her own flesh and blood could abuse and neglect her children. It is something I have never been able to understand. Children are a blessing and our heritage and to abuse and neglect little one's makes me sick to my stomach. First of all, they cannot defend themselves, second of all, knowing how much I love my own children and grandchildren and the strong bond between us,  I just don't comprehend the abuse upon children that is going on in this Country. How a mother can abuse her own children is beyond me. I don't know how anyone can abuse a child let alone their own flesh and blood. I grew up in an abusive environment , more neglect than physical abuse, I was just left alone to my own self most of the time and that being bad enough, when I hear of cases as severe as children being locked up into rooms, made to sleep on floors of bathrooms, having to urinate in bottles is just disgusting.  It's no wonder that there are so many mentally disturbed individuals in this Country having to grow up in these kinds of situations. We try to understand it, we even try to find reasons for this kind of behavior upon children but to me is senseless and sad, very sad. And I wonder what happens to all the little ones that no one hears or comes to their aide, so very, very sad!

May 14, 2007, 4:11 am CDT

Mentally demented Monster

May 14, 2007, 5:48 am CDT

For the abused child

I hope that everyone reading watches the show and becomes active in the fight to stop child abuse. It is so sad to read the story of this little boy who has been caged. If everyone reading feels strongly enough to comment then please keep your eyes open and listen when you are in the presence of children. When you even think something may be wrong don't be too scared to ask about it or to speak out on behalf of a child, you may be saving their lives. Children are funny and very loyal even to their abusers, they are often even protective of them. They don't know how to defend themselves. So if you are reading and watching then please be alert and be an advocate for the rights of children. 

May 14, 2007, 5:55 am CDT

Quote From: danadee71

This reminds me of a book named: A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive.
   Very good i was thinking the same thing. We should E-mail dr. phil and request that Dave Peltzer the author of the series of books written on child abuse be a guest on his show. If you get a chance to read that book read the whole series. The series itself is a very good account of how an abuser works and how they can manipulate the rest of their families into going along with it. 

May 14, 2007, 5:58 am CDT

Is this boy still alive?

Quote From: allshewolf

oh my I hope they never let him out of prison. I feel so bad for this boy and I can not believe he had no contact with the outside world. Where was the rest of the family in all of this? How can anyone let this happen for so long? I am just so disgusted about this...

I am wondering, is this young boy still alive or did he die? I hope that Dr. Phil attacks this so called "father" with all that he's got in him. I'm sure that he will. Dr. Phil does a great job, especially when it comes to protecting children and their rights. Wow, how can anyone, let alone a parent do this to a child? How can the mother sit back and watch???? Battered women's syndrome is usually the answer that comes out of the lawyers and quacks mouths. I say, bullcrap......when it comes to abuse of themselves, okay, fine----I've seen it happen to a few of my battered friends but when the children come along-----there is NO EXCUSE. Even wild animals protect their own better than some of the mother's out there. This "father" should be hung....after being forced to live the same way as his son did for a few years. I am so sad for these kids. Unbelievable. Props to Dr.Phil for bringing these issues to the public and for also doing something about it instead of just putting them on his show. He gets people HELP.

I've worked with many foster kids, foster parents, as well as the bio-parents. The system definately needs an overhaul up here in Maine. Lots of money is thrown around but not in the PROPER PLACES. UNANNOUNCED FOLLOW UPS are not done enough. And, we live in a society where a lot of  people turn a blind eye to situations because they are afraid of retaliation and such.

Im done rambling. Just had to get that out this morning.

Kim in Maine

May 14, 2007, 6:41 am CDT

I don't understand how someone can hurt a helpless child. an adult knows they can over power a kid so why bother. I think people like that should get the same punishment they put on that chid or children. There is no excuse for child abuse. "Don't want kids, don't have sex".

May 14, 2007, 8:17 am CDT

CAGED

Quote From: sassie1

Quote from sassie:  It is so sad that a Mother of her own flesh and blood could abuse and neglect her children. It is something I have never been able to understand. Children are a blessing and our heritage and to abuse and neglect little one's makes me sick to my stomach. First of all, they cannot defend themselves, second of all, knowing how much I love my own children and grandchildren and the strong bond between us,  I just don't comprehend the abuse upon children that is going on in this Country. How a mother can abuse her own children is beyond me. I don't know how anyone can abuse a child let alone their own flesh and blood. I grew up in an abusive environment , more neglect than physical abuse, I was just left alone to my own self most of the time and that being bad enough, when I hear of cases as severe as children being locked up into rooms, made to sleep on floors of bathrooms, having to urinate in bottles is just disgusting.  It's no wonder that there are so many mentally disturbed individuals in this Country having to grow up in these kinds of situations. We try to understand it, we even try to find reasons for this kind of behavior upon children but to me is senseless and sad, very sad. And I wonder what happens to all the little ones that no one hears or comes to their aide, so very, very sad!

How can these people not see the damage they are doing to their children.  It is so blatantly obvious I can't understand how they can miss it..  I learned how to become a Mom by being a Mom; no guidance whatsoever, and I guess I need to be thankful to someone for leading me along the right way.

Audrey (flabergasted ##########)

May 14, 2007, 8:25 am CDT

EYE FOR AN EYE

Quote From: momawheels

maybe someone should put the father in a cage and let him live like a animal.theres to much child abuse going on in the world,and some time we as adults dont listen.or see til its to late.
I agree shove him in the isolation in prison...no windows, no access to society, give him a coke bottle to urinate...we can never see what we have done wrong unless we see the other person's side of it.   Am I wrong or  is everyone becoming more judgemental and mean spirted in this world.  I find a lot of parents critical and sarcastic with there children.....makes me sick.  To make fun of your child to make others laugh...here is the lesson don't laugh at a parent ever doing these things....have balls and call them up on it (if they don't realize it is wrong tell them).  I have been to house parties and kids of all ages are there running around with drunk or drug using adults (I feel this should be against the law), this is abusive,,,,,there is a place were kids shouldn't be and that is it.  I am the mother that badaids the kids on my street, hugs them when they are in pain, stops a fight amongst other kids, and show them compassion.  I live in a low income area....majority of these parents don't care about there kids, they are home nursing a hang over or cracked out night.  I see the social services on my street all the time, obviously something in the system isn't working if the same habits keep happening.  I know I could be charged with hugging a child, but God didn't give me my nurturing ways towards the young and helpless for no reason.  My heart bleeds for them.  When I drive by them they wave at me with excitment......the will remince about a meal I gave them, that I don't remember, they help me with groceries, and garbage day...etc.  Parents in my opinion are far to selfish these days and feel that kids are a pain, instead of a pleasure (most of the time).  I  give from my heart, I don't see race, or income I see a child that looks at me to feel mattered.

May 14, 2007, 8:26 am CDT

WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH SOME PEOPLE???

I agree shove him in the isolation in prison...no windows, no access to society, give him a coke bottle to urinate...we can never see what we have done wrong unless we see the other person's side of it.   Am I wrong or  is everyone becoming more judgemental and mean spirted in this world.  I find a lot of parents critical and sarcastic with there children.....makes me sick.  To make fun of your child to make others laugh...here is the lesson don't laugh at a parent ever doing these things....have balls and call them up on it (if they don't realize it is wrong tell them).  I have been to house parties and kids of all ages are there running around with drunk or drug using adults (I feel this should be against the law), this is abusive,,,,,there is a place were kids shouldn't be and that is it.  I am the mother that badaids the kids on my street, hugs them when they are in pain, stops a fight amongst other kids, and show them compassion.  I live in a low income area....majority of these parents don't care about there kids, they are home nursing a hang over or cracked out night.  I see the social services on my street all the time, obviously something in the system isn't working if the same habits keep happening.  I know I could be charged with hugging a child, but God didn't give me my nurturing ways towards the young and helpless for no reason.  My heart bleeds for them.  When I drive by them they wave at me with excitment......the will remince about a meal I gave them, that I don't remember, they help me with groceries, and garbage day...etc.  Parents in my opinion are far to selfish these days and feel that kids are a pain, instead of a pleasure (most of the time).  I  give from my heart, I don't see race, or income I see a child that looks at me to feel mattered.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last