Message Boards

Topic : *Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Caged

Number of Replies: 252
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 11, 2007, 12:46:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Friday, May 18 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT) only on CBS

Dr. Phil goes inside the horrifying story of a 9-year-old boy who was allegedly held prisoner in his own home for three years. His father, Randall Piercy, is behind bars, charged with torturing his little son and locking him away from the rest of the world. Piercy says he’s a loving father, wrongly accused, but authorities found the boy in deplorable conditions: he was sitting on his bed in his underwear, his window was covered with paper, the light switch was taped over, and a soda bottle on the floor was filled with urine. Dr. Phil takes a firsthand look at the conditions the boy was living in, then sits down for a face-to-face interview with the alleged abuser and asks some hard questions. Piercy has two older sons, Josh and Jacob, who offer two widely divergent accounts of what went on in the family home. When the father and both sons are asked to take a lie detector test, who appears to be telling the truth, and who declines to submit to the test at all? Is justice served with Piercy behind bars, or is this a simple case of an overprotective father taking measures to protect his son? Share your thoughts here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 14, 2007, 8:44 am CDT

caged ??!!!

That poor child....how can people do such things?!  I can't believe people, PARENTS, can cage their own children. What have kids ever done do deserve this?! They never asked to be in this world, but as soon as they are; hell is waiting for them. I just hate the fact that they suffer for nothing. I'm so shocked by this event. Unbelievable and very sad.

May 14, 2007, 9:14 am CDT

I remember reading about this in the newspaper

If my memory serves me right, the Dad had a camera and watched the kids every move on the computer.

I am looking forward to this show and hoping more details are revealed.

I have such sympathy for this child as no amount of therapy can erase this episode of his life. Poor baby!

There are many cases, I am sure, that remain undiscovered.

May 14, 2007, 11:00 am CDT

*Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Caged

Quote From: foxysag

It is difficult for me to understand how abusive parents can be so cruel to those that are totally dependant on them.  In Colorado, a seven year old boy was locked in a closet, telling people that Daddy Jon was going to hurt him.  When someone finally listened to his pleas, the boy weighed 30 pounds and died a short time later of starvation.  And, yet, we won't let same sex couples who would be loving parents adopt children because of unwarrented fears and simply say how awful it is when we hear something like this.  And where does Christianity come into play with these types of happenings?  They will shake their heads and move on!!
Excuse Me, I do not think you know wht ayou are talking about.  I have grown up in Baptist Children's Home of North Carolina having lived with abusive parents to the point where my own mother had a gun to my head, their was no electricity or water, then finally on the street.  It was Christians who gave my sisters money to hide from my parents so they could not buy drugs with it and I would have food.  No one is perfect, and neither side is perfect.  Having now graduated from college with a bachelor of arts in counseling and psychology, not all Christians Shake their Heads and move on.  I have worked as a camp counselor and tell you when I have seen something, I took action.  This is something everyone needs to address, but trying to play game alienating side does not help.

May 14, 2007, 1:30 pm CDT

Abuse towards children can be fatal

As an abused child , and now 44years of age, I can attest to the truth of the matter: abusiveness towards children can be fatal!

The abuses I suffered as a child have followed me thruogh the course of my life, impacting every area. After running away several times before the age of ten trying to get away from my abusers I eventually landed in prison; having taken a mans' life I suffered many more consequenses because of my actions.

I feel somewhat vindicated now that I have grown up, I'm not the "monster" my parents portayed me to be to others. I was in fact an abused child. The abuses are horrific in every sense of the word. Perhaps a small connection to the crimes I committed. Where were the "officails" to protect the child then. Where are they now???

All I know is that abuse is wrong. Every bit as wrong as the actions I took as a child. I guess we are all just a little bit abused in this world, some more than others. It's all wrong.

May 14, 2007, 2:32 pm CDT

Caged / Christianity

Quote From: foxysag

It is difficult for me to understand how abusive parents can be so cruel to those that are totally dependant on them.  In Colorado, a seven year old boy was locked in a closet, telling people that Daddy Jon was going to hurt him.  When someone finally listened to his pleas, the boy weighed 30 pounds and died a short time later of starvation.  And, yet, we won't let same sex couples who would be loving parents adopt children because of unwarrented fears and simply say how awful it is when we hear something like this.  And where does Christianity come into play with these types of happenings?  They will shake their heads and move on!!

I would like to know when "Christianity" came into play with this type of abuse?  I'm confused - and upset with the claim that "Christians would shake their heads and move on" ... I believe that you have confused this abusive situation with something that may have happened to you and your partner with trying to either adopt or foster children.

My husband and I ARE CHRISTIANS - and have taken action against such abuse - we are now Foster Parents for children who have no where else to turn - I feel sorry for you and your partner if you have been turned down - but to turn this abuse issue into a "Christian thing" - that could be considered to be a form of abuse in itself.

It's sad that this happens to children - there's no answer to it - there are a lot of sick individuals out there - we're all not perfect - all we can do is help those in need and put the blame where it belongs - on the abuser, whether they're Christians or not.

Remember - God didn't create the abuser, only those who help those they abuse.

May 14, 2007, 2:41 pm CDT

Help is needed ...

There are many of these cases out there and it's unfortunate that the children have no where to turn.

Be "that somewhere to turn" - I can not ask this question enough - if your so upset about the situation that you see children are in - then stand up for them - let them know that it's NOT OK for them to have to live that way - "Why not become a Foster Parent or a Mentor to either the family or to the child."

The need is great.  If  your truly sickened by the abuse - then stand up and do something about it.

I'm here to tell you - it's not easy, it's hard to hear a child tell you about what they have had to live through.  It's hard to see a child not trust you because of what "the one that was suppose to love them and take care of them" did  to them and you have no control.  It's hard ... but well worth it when you can help "Break the Cycle" of abuse.

May 14, 2007, 3:47 pm CDT

caged

Anyone doing this to a child should have the same thing done to them and this comes from a abused child. I could never understand why people have children and hurt them like this not just the physical but emotionally and now this child well have scares you wouldn't understand and trust issues too.It really pisses me off.I can't understand how he could do this to a child he say he loves that's not love that's controlling and not being a father and where was the other family member ,sitting on their hands ?????In my eyes this is a man that isn't a man to do this to a child .I have four children of my own and never would I dream of doing this to them when they were growing up, it was hard for me to even correct them because of how I was treated.But I over came it and it pisses me off that people say they do it because it was done to them that's bullshit .You can overcome alot if you want to It what you make of it,and how you as a person look at your self and how you want to be treated in life and how yopu treat the people around you that makes you who you are and can be .Don't try the stress game either you talk about stress  I have a child with Arthrogryposis and in a wheelchair and three boys  and not alot and there was time and are times money hasn't been there ,but I never took it out on my children  I walked away and chilled out and came back to deal with it  instead of hurting my children when they were growing up.There a saying  excuses are asses and you can finish the rest.

May 14, 2007, 5:38 pm CDT

Makes me sick

This is exactly the reason why I support mandatory (reversable) sterilization for everyone when the reach pueberty. When someone becomes a certain age and can pass certain tests: i.e. sanity, cruelty, common sense, then they'd be allowed to have kids.

The cavalierness to outright cruelty with which some parents treat their beautiful children is enough to make me want to turn vigilante. I get so mad hearing about this stuff. GRRRRRRR!

May 14, 2007, 11:19 pm CDT

Peace and God Bless

My heart is broken for this young boy.  It makes me wonder HOW many homes we drive by in our towns everyday, with children being treated in this fashion. I hope and prey  this child will overcome this and be successful in his life.

As for the donor, I hope he ROTS.

May 14, 2007, 11:34 pm CDT

!!!! Ditto !!!!

Quote From: tracybelle

Very good i was thinking the same thing. We should E-mail dr. phil and request that Dave Peltzer the author of the series of books written on child abuse be a guest on his show. If you get a chance to read that book read the whole series. The series itself is a very good account of how an abuser works and how they can manipulate the rest of their families into going along with it. 
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS, that is what I was feeling as well.   He walked in this boys shoes, we can only speculate on what it was to go through tragedy. Where Mr. Peltzer KNOWS first hand of BETRAYAL of his donors.....

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last