Message Boards

Topic : *Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Caged

Number of Replies: 252
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 11, 2007, 12:46:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Friday, May 18 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT) only on CBS

Dr. Phil goes inside the horrifying story of a 9-year-old boy who was allegedly held prisoner in his own home for three years. His father, Randall Piercy, is behind bars, charged with torturing his little son and locking him away from the rest of the world. Piercy says he’s a loving father, wrongly accused, but authorities found the boy in deplorable conditions: he was sitting on his bed in his underwear, his window was covered with paper, the light switch was taped over, and a soda bottle on the floor was filled with urine. Dr. Phil takes a firsthand look at the conditions the boy was living in, then sits down for a face-to-face interview with the alleged abuser and asks some hard questions. Piercy has two older sons, Josh and Jacob, who offer two widely divergent accounts of what went on in the family home. When the father and both sons are asked to take a lie detector test, who appears to be telling the truth, and who declines to submit to the test at all? Is justice served with Piercy behind bars, or is this a simple case of an overprotective father taking measures to protect his son? Share your thoughts here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 15, 2007, 5:00 am CDT

so sad

i can't believe that we actually live in a society where we have to deal with people like this ungreatful man. He doesn't realize what a gift a child is in life and now he'll never have that love anymore. This man should be caged up in prison in the deapest darkest cell and should never have contact with any of his children again. I beleive that parents don't realize the lasting effect that they have on their children and  they should know better because they were children once themselves. So much time is spent on dealing with the aftermath of the childs life and depresson when the parents should have sought after help before they let they own minds deteriate like this man has. I'm saying this because i know that this man was not in his right mind for some time and he should have swallod his pride and gotten some help. It's not right that children are put in a life where they can't help themselves. And now this poor little boy will likely grow up blamming himself for what his father has done to him and he will not allow himself to enjoy life as it is ment to be enjoyed. I'm sure that alot of you can relate to this young boy.

May 15, 2007, 8:50 am CDT

sad

Quote From: hollymcdon

i can't believe that we actually live in a society where we have to deal with people like this ungreatful man. He doesn't realize what a gift a child is in life and now he'll never have that love anymore. This man should be caged up in prison in the deapest darkest cell and should never have contact with any of his children again. I beleive that parents don't realize the lasting effect that they have on their children and  they should know better because they were children once themselves. So much time is spent on dealing with the aftermath of the childs life and depresson when the parents should have sought after help before they let they own minds deteriate like this man has. I'm saying this because i know that this man was not in his right mind for some time and he should have swallod his pride and gotten some help. It's not right that children are put in a life where they can't help themselves. And now this poor little boy will likely grow up blamming himself for what his father has done to him and he will not allow himself to enjoy life as it is ment to be enjoyed. I'm sure that alot of you can relate to this young boy.

I agreee totally.  It breaks my heart to hear of someting like this.  I cried while reading it and trying to understand it at the same time.  I have 2 kids of my own and when I look at them, I ask how can this happen to a child that is helpless and depends on us everyday for love and care.  Being cruel to children should warrant the worst punishiment imaginable.  Children need us and we as parents are responsible for what happens to them.  God bless them all!

May 15, 2007, 9:50 am CDT

Life changed

My husband and I have no children and for many years we have "adopted" children and been Aunts or Uncles.  With so much abuse from so many sick people we no longer ask children to stay over for fear we would be accused of something wrong. It's a sad world when normal people cannot have normal friendships for fear of being falsely accussed.  I don't trust any neighbors and now believe we never know what goes on behind closed doors.  Before all of the bad things that 24 hour news has made us aware of, we were so happy and had wonderful times with our generous friends who shared their children.  Now we stay close to home.  It's very sad, but one cannot live with their head in the sand and when you pull it out of the sand, you realize no one is immune from false acusations.  If I had children, I would not let them go to sleep overs at others houses.  Whatever fear I have, I wonder if the children sense the fear we have.

May 15, 2007, 11:16 am CDT

*Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Caged

This kid is a lucky one.

Three years and he was rescued, alive.

I was sheltered from age 8-18.  I got to get out of the house once or twice a week, literally, in a trailer sized house...I didn't go to school.  My brothers were treated normally and NO ONE KNEW!

This is far more common than anyone thinks

May 15, 2007, 10:28 pm CDT

Caged

Quote From: danadee71

This reminds me of a book named: A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive.
I also think that it is terrible to treat children the way that some parents do.  I know the book the woman was talking about and I was just horrified at what this mother did to her child and the father would do nothing to stop it.  And he ended up leaving the family.  It was a sad book but it made you think, and I know that it happens alot but I don't understand why.  Dr. Phil, you are a great person and I love watching your show.  You tell lit like it is and have helped many people.

May 15, 2007, 10:32 pm CDT

Quote From: mouse11

This kid is a lucky one.

Three years and he was rescued, alive.

I was sheltered from age 8-18.  I got to get out of the house once or twice a week, literally, in a trailer sized house...I didn't go to school.  My brothers were treated normally and NO ONE KNEW!

This is far more common than anyone thinks

I missed this episode. What was the father protecting his son from? It is hard to imagine that situations like this still exist.

((mouse11)) I am so sorry you were in that situation. Did you run away at 18?

May 16, 2007, 7:43 pm CDT

Basically, yep, theres more to the story of how I got out, but I finally did.

People are so unaware how many children disappear in America and no one notices.

May 16, 2007, 11:17 pm CDT

Quote From: neverendingx

I missed this episode. What was the father protecting his son from? It is hard to imagine that situations like this still exist.

((mouse11)) I am so sorry you were in that situation. Did you run away at 18?

You didn't miss it. It airs on the 18th (primetime). This story broke, I believe, late 2006. From what I gather from various internet sites, his wife and at least one other unidentified "family member" claim that they were protecting the boy from "further molestation" at the hands of a "relative". This of course rings like a crock of sheep seeing that most people don't comprehend how protecting a boy from molestation equates to forcing him to pee in a bottle.

May 17, 2007, 8:52 am CDT

want to talk about hitting close to home? this man could very soon be my future father in law. thats a scarey thought.

May 18, 2007, 1:33 pm CDT

Me too.

Quote From: danadee71

This reminds me of a book named: A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive.
There are 3 books in that series. I saw Dave Pelzer on a talk show years ago and I believe he said his mother denied treating him the way she did. I'm sure she must have been mentally ill. She was never questioned about it .I think at the time I saw him on t.v., his mother had died. I'm not sure about the father. I know that some of the brothers remembered it and knew it was true. I think I remember him saying that after he was taken from the home, things got worse for his siblings.The things she did to him were hard to read. I don't know how in the world he came out of it as well as he did. When I read about his years of abuse I cried and had the urge to go back in time to that defenseless little boy and take him by the hand and lead him out of that cold basement. Thank God for the teacher who was willing to speak for him. I remember him writing about being taken in the police car from his home and thinking that he was going to jail for doing something wrong.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last