Message Boards

Topic : 08/22 The Dr. Phil House: "Make My Kid a Star"

Number of Replies: 538
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 11, 2007, 02:25:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 05/14/07) Do you think your child is destined to be a star? Are you spending your life savings trying to get him or her in the spotlight? Has your life become a non-stop roller coaster of auditions, rejections, lessons, rehearsals, costumes, headshots and agents? The business is cutthroat and competitive, yet thousands of families set out for Hollywood every year, believing their child is the next Dakota Fanning. Dr. Phil helps some aspiring child stars get noticed and at the same time takes a behind-the-scenes look at stage moms in the throes of battle. Seven talented kids get big-time opportunities in The Dr. Phil House, auditioning for some of Hollywood’s most esteemed child talent agents. But the true test is to see if their mothers can handle the heat, the competition, the stress of it all, without becoming stereotypical backstabbing stage moms. How will the kids perform after being coached by their moms? Will the mother/child teams work well together, or flounder under the pressure? Do these seven kids really have what it takes? Big prizes are at stake, such as free rent during pilot season, a Hollywood agent and a $25,000 scholarship. Follow the sweet success and the crushing heartbreak in Dr. Phil’s three-part talent competition, and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 14, 2007, 6:23 am CDT

stage moms

i am not a mother myself but if i did have a child(ren) i hope i'd encourage them to be the best they could be and if they had talent in an area i'd like to think i'd be able to enourage them to develop that talent or hobby

and i do think all parents should do as such. but what i do take issue with (and this show highlights it) is when a mother (or father) pushers WAY too hard when it comes to their child in the spot light.

i mean c'mon! who's goal is it really? it seems like in some cases that it's the mum dream and not the kids and i question what the mum's goal really is.......

May 14, 2007, 6:31 am CDT

Celebrities are so over admired?

make yoru child a star?  a child?  A child is not a posession to do as you will?

A child is a future adult.  When we allowed a man to get a Nobels Peace Prize for

work done by countless people working hard for years before he hit the subject, we proved how ignorant we are of what is behind the curtains being important?  A parent is suppose to be behind the child encouraging what they do well in, not pushing them into a role for it?

Look at people like Oprah, Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington or all teh many book writers who

gave what made them famous?  behind all of them that maintain respect from thier honest, good role modeling and great example of good people is more people who supported not pushed them?  They kept thier personality in tact dispite fame and celebrity status.  They did that by knowing it is a job, a responsibility and not letting others rule thier life?

We have celebrities that abuse drugs, alcohol and children being excused and endangering society through thier celbrity status and only through media does it even get addressed.

Many networks minimize what is really going on to keep us ignorant on events.

Example: he held his child over a balcony to show his fame off, because he sang great, was a great performer he was excused until a child came forth with complaints to a court that listened?  parents allowed thier children to stay with this stranger because he was a celebrity?

A singer felt no shame in using a child in a sexual act to promote his fame, he felt entitled to beign above laws and moral factors for fame?  We must have limits.  Children are not posessions of anyones in our country any more.  parents do not have the rights to do what ever they want with their children, or do they? 

May 14, 2007, 7:00 am CDT

05/14 The Dr. Phil House: "Make My Kid a Star"

Quote From: graciesdad

Goodness gracious!  Wow... I'm really sort of taken back by these comments and the mean-spiritedness of some the commenters.  As someone who has been involved from the sidelines of the 'Make My Kid a Star' special, I can tell everyone that although you're going to see some things that most anyone would see as bad behavior -- you're also going to see some very geniunely talented kids and some very authentically loving and supportive mothers.

I don't want to set myself up as an apologist for anything Dr. Phil's cameras have captured because I'm sure there will be some behavior and parenting that won't be defensable.  I, nor anyone else, including the moms and kids that participated, have seen the show.  So, we'll all be watching this special unfold together.  What I can suggest to everyone is that the trailers are likely a little more negative in tone than the actual shows will be.  I certainly hope so, at least!

As for my daughter Gracie's participation, I can also tell you that she really had a very nice experience at the Dr. Phil house.  Her mother, Kiki, on the other hand, was a little more stressed-out about the whole thing.  Still, Kiki told me as recently as an hour ago after reading these messages boards that she's very surprised about how negative the tone is about the show and that overall she fells very good her own participation and believes that she and I along with Grace's Bonus Dad (Kiki's husband, Steve) made the right decision to allow Grace to participate and compete for some very nice prizes and maybe even that 'Big Break' that anyone needs who has a dream of acting on television or in movies.

I believe if you'll just watch the show, you'll see about what you'd see if the camera was on most parents 24/7 in any competitive venue -- lots of loving support along with some behavior we might not accept as exactly healthy for the kids or the parent.  I was a decent athlete growing up and I can tell you that although my parents were never anything but positively supportive that there were plenty of Little League fathers and Soccer moms who behaved very badly when it came to their little Johnny or little Janice performing up to their standards on the field of play.

To me, this is what Dr. Phil is trying to show all us parents through these shows -- that you have to develop some objectivity about your child and learn to be supportive without either living vicariously through them and without making a mess of your child's emotional life and psychological health.  Now, that's a lesson any of us can benefit from as loving parents who have to wake up each day and figure this parenting thing out in real time without the benefit of Dr. Phil's cameras, his challenges to our behavior when we are a bit irrational or his insights about how we might raise healthy and happy kids.

As for my  Gracie, I hope the show will let you see at least one kid whose truly happy to be doing exactly what she's doing and a mom who simply is willing to do what she can, within reason, to support her children's most ardent dreams!

I'm excited to find out just exactly how this whole thing looks after the 3rd show!  My thoughts and prayers are also with the other kids and their families as we each go through this somewhat intimidating experience together.

Oh, and I promise you, the show's NOT 'rigged'! :-)

All The Best!

Kurt

Gracie's Dad

they are children first and surely the parents must be parents first also?

My children was all in competitions: math, band, honor events, sports and

many other events and classes.  I did not do any of it, I only supported

thier good motives, fair minds and happiness in doing it.  I seen many parents

pushing thier children in many events.  It was sad.  many children spoke openly with me

because they seen how I was.  They lost important participation happiness because of parents who took the gifts, talents and abilities of thier children on as thier own mental growth or well being?  Of course it is defended by the adults active in it?  they need defended!

I will stand by defending the children.  So many children are talented, gifted and have awesome abilities.  They have it not their parents.  It is thiers to do as they wish not parents pushing in on them and that is what I seen.  Coerced and pushed because if they say no a parent is so disappointed?  BS, I also noted the parent encouraged sexy poses?  Do they think the industry

has perverts, oh yea many society want to see children as that?  BS

May 14, 2007, 7:15 am CDT

bonus dad and son

There's absolutely no doubt that there is "healthy way to encourage your child to do well in something that THEY like" and I that's exactly what Gracie's mother and I strive each to do with all our children -- Gracie, her brother, Warren, and Kiki's Bonus Son, Christopher.

I congratulate this mom for having healthy "boundaries" and putting her child's interest "before her own".  As parents, however, we often have to learn from our mistakes and hopefully all the parents involved in this show, including me and Gracie's mom, Kiki, will use this experience, including the upcoming shows, to learn and to become even better parents and better supporters of our children's most ardent ambitions and dreams!

Namaste!

Kurt

maybe gracies dad could clarify "bonus dad and son"

does that mean step dad or half brother?

if so, just a thought, maybe just call each other dad, son or brother.  no explanation is needed when it comes to family whatever way you are linked.

May 14, 2007, 7:24 am CDT

There's No Business Like Show Business

And there's nothing worse than a frustrated, domineering, pushy mother who could not make it on her own talent so she promotes her child, instead.   Of all the mothers, I think Veronica is the most guilty of this. And, she has a dual purpose as she is certainly promoting herself by dressing provocatively,  trying to look younger than her age, and has the loudest, dirtiest mouth which also calls attention to herself.  Since her daughter did not win the first two "contests", she says  the whole thing must be rigged. Did she stop to consider that her daughter is still a child?  Yet, she makes her up to look like a 25 year old and the mirror image of her mother.  No wonder the girl didn't win the photo contest.   

There's no such thing as over-night stardom.  These kids, as talented as they are, have much hard work ahead of them to reach their goals.  Most of them will be burned out , turned off or turned down by the time they reach 20.  At least their mother's will be able to say, remember when we were on Dr. Phil's show?

May 14, 2007, 7:40 am CDT

Alrightly then...

Well.. I don't think Dr. Phil has to make up stories very much because these women are out there. You have a lot of actors who have great relationships with their Mom's and then you have the actors who sever their ties with their Moms altogether. Perhaps because of the childhood drama like what we saw today. ..As the kids get older I bet they really give their Mom's hell.

May 14, 2007, 7:59 am CDT

Something's up?

Okay, two judges from TWO DIFFERENT areas of entertainment pick Gracie and the thing is rigged?  Noooo, Gracie's mom is supportive, she spoke eloquently (none of that "there IS no competition for MY child" bullcrap), and she didn't give the judge a sob story about her sucky finances, even though there were obvious monetary problems at home.  These kids are all giving the same "I AM the best" statement without backing it up with proof.  The mom who is nice and supportive has raised a confident, assured child and it shows in the interviews and the dancing.  She won fair and square, and if those moms would just get their heads out of their arses and realize they are dime-a-dozen stage mom psychos that NOBODY wants to work with, things might go better for their kids.  Just my two cents.

May 14, 2007, 8:10 am CDT

Again... just "Wow!"

Quote From: missnatalie

thats funny u say u are taken back by the meaness of the comments because i was taken back by the meaness of the mothers.  What loving mother treats their children like that?  Pushing all these unrealistic expectations on their kids, all that pressure.  Also the show isnt about young talented kids, so when u tell us to watch the talent, thats not what the show is about..the show is MAKE my kid a star.  its about the parents pusing their kids...i just hope they enjoy their TV time because its probably the last time most if not all will be on TV.

Gosh, shouldn't we at least all watch these 3 episodes before we make these type of harsh judgements with such moral certitude?  Everyone, of course, is entitled to their own perceptions and opinions about this matter or any other.  Again, I'll just restate for the record that I'm very proud of Grace's involvement with Dr. Phil and his producers and that I'm just as proud of her mom for being the great person that she is!

As for me and my family, we'll all be watching with an open mind ready to learn whatever insights the show has for our lives and for our desire to be the best support system possible for our Gracie.  I've learned many difficult lessons in life and these lessons have taught me to never stop listening to honest feedback and constructive criticism.  So, I'll be watching and listening and observing right along with everyone else.

As for Grace, she remains personally adamant that this experience was an overwhelmingly happy experience for her from the very first day she arrived at the Dr. Phil house.  She really liked the other kids as well as the other mothers and she says she had a blast doing all the little competitions with the other kids.  Will there be some legitimate issues for us all to explore with Dr. Phil's guidance?  Sure and we look forward to gaining any insights from any source that will help us lead happier and healthier lives and be more effective and loving parents!

Have a great day and thank you for caring enough to register your thoughts on this issue that's very dear to my own heart!

Gracie's Dad

May 14, 2007, 8:12 am CDT

All the rest, but never Gracie!

Goodness gracious!  Wow... I'm really sort of taken back by these comments and the mean-spiritedness of some the commenters.  As someone who has been involved from the sidelines of the 'Make My Kid a Star' special, I can tell everyone that although you're going to see some things that most anyone would see as bad behavior -- you're also going to see some very geniunely talented kids and some very authentically loving and supportive mothers.

I don't want to set myself up as an apologist for anything Dr. Phil's cameras have captured because I'm sure there will be some behavior and parenting that won't be defensable.  I, nor anyone else, including the moms and kids that participated, have seen the show.  So, we'll all be watching this special unfold together.  What I can suggest to everyone is that the trailers are likely a little more negative in tone than the actual shows will be.  I certainly hope so, at least!

As for my daughter Gracie's participation, I can also tell you that she really had a very nice experience at the Dr. Phil house.  Her mother, Kiki, on the other hand, was a little more stressed-out about the whole thing.  Still, Kiki told me as recently as an hour ago after reading these messages boards that she's very surprised about how negative the tone is about the show and that overall she fells very good her own participation and believes that she and I along with Grace's Bonus Dad (Kiki's husband, Steve) made the right decision to allow Grace to participate and compete for some very nice prizes and maybe even that 'Big Break' that anyone needs who has a dream of acting on television or in movies.

I believe if you'll just watch the show, you'll see about what you'd see if the camera was on most parents 24/7 in any competitive venue -- lots of loving support along with some behavior we might not accept as exactly healthy for the kids or the parent.  I was a decent athlete growing up and I can tell you that although my parents were never anything but positively supportive that there were plenty of Little League fathers and Soccer moms who behaved very badly when it came to their little Johnny or little Janice performing up to their standards on the field of play.

To me, this is what Dr. Phil is trying to show all us parents through these shows -- that you have to develop some objectivity about your child and learn to be supportive without either living vicariously through them and without making a mess of your child's emotional life and psychological health.  Now, that's a lesson any of us can benefit from as loving parents who have to wake up each day and figure this parenting thing out in real time without the benefit of Dr. Phil's cameras, his challenges to our behavior when we are a bit irrational or his insights about how we might raise healthy and happy kids.

As for my  Gracie, I hope the show will let you see at least one kid whose truly happy to be doing exactly what she's doing and a mom who simply is willing to do what she can, within reason, to support her children's most ardent dreams!

I'm excited to find out just exactly how this whole thing looks after the 3rd show!  My thoughts and prayers are also with the other kids and their families as we each go through this somewhat intimidating experience together.

Oh, and I promise you, the show's NOT 'rigged'! :-)

All The Best!

Kurt

Gracie's Dad

Gracie's dad, your daughter and wife are the ONLY shining examples of how a showbiz family can actually work.  We know it isn't rigged, she won fair and square.  You guys really love each other and wow does it show against the harsh background of those other "mothers".  I am so glad to see your wife and child on the show; it gives me hope.  Those other parents need to follow their example, not set them up as their enemy.  Tell Gracie we wish her luck; she'll go far if she keeps a positive attitude and stays grounded.  Good luck and best wishes!!!

May 14, 2007, 8:12 am CDT

How obsessed can you be???

DR PHIL,   I AM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT VERONICA'S DAUGHTER!  THAT WOMAN IS A MANIAC!!!!  SHE IS OBVIOUSLY LIVING THROUGH HER DAUGHTER AND PUSHES THAT CHILD LIKE A DICTATOR. ITS OBVIOUS, ALSO, THAT VERONICA IS A VERY SORE LOSER,AND IS PROBALY TEACHING HER BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER TO BE THE SAME! I HAVE A VERY BEAUTIFUL, 23 YR OLD DAUGHTER MYSELF. AS A TEEN,  I ALLOWED HER TO GO TO BARBAZON MODELING SCHOOL, TO TEACH HER SELF-WORTH, POISE, SOCIALIZATION SKILLS, ETC. SHE OCCASIONALLY DOES A PHOTO SHOOT, MODELS CLOTHING,ETC., BUT HAS CHOSEN TO GO TO COLLEGE TO BECOME A PEDIATRIC PYSCHOLOGIST. I AM VERY PROUD OF HER, AND WILL BACK HER IN ALL SHE PURSUES, NO MATTER WHAT SHE CHOOSES TO DO! THAT IS OUR JOBS, AS MOTHERS, IN MY OPINION! TO BE THERE FOR OUR CHILDREN, NO MATTER WHAT, AND TO ENCOURAGE, NOT BROW BEAT THEM, INTO BEING THE BEST THEY CAN BE!       SINCERELY WORRIED!!!       KIM

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last