Message Boards

Topic : 08/22 The Dr. Phil House: "Make My Kid a Star"

Number of Replies: 538
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 11, 2007, 02:25:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 05/14/07) Do you think your child is destined to be a star? Are you spending your life savings trying to get him or her in the spotlight? Has your life become a non-stop roller coaster of auditions, rejections, lessons, rehearsals, costumes, headshots and agents? The business is cutthroat and competitive, yet thousands of families set out for Hollywood every year, believing their child is the next Dakota Fanning. Dr. Phil helps some aspiring child stars get noticed and at the same time takes a behind-the-scenes look at stage moms in the throes of battle. Seven talented kids get big-time opportunities in The Dr. Phil House, auditioning for some of Hollywood’s most esteemed child talent agents. But the true test is to see if their mothers can handle the heat, the competition, the stress of it all, without becoming stereotypical backstabbing stage moms. How will the kids perform after being coached by their moms? Will the mother/child teams work well together, or flounder under the pressure? Do these seven kids really have what it takes? Big prizes are at stake, such as free rent during pilot season, a Hollywood agent and a $25,000 scholarship. Follow the sweet success and the crushing heartbreak in Dr. Phil’s three-part talent competition, and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 27, 2007, 3:24 pm CDT

These parents could learn from the children

Its too bad that the parents can't take a cue from their children. After that snotty Larissa was disrespectful of all the other compeititors, announcing that Sasha, Dmitri and Kyrian were the best in that order THEN Gracie, she had the nerve to give a backhand compliment. So what does her son Dmitri do? looks straight into the camera saying, " I think Gracie deserved to win she is very talented." I wasnt impressed with him until then. His mother did do one thing right she taught him good manners. They were interesting kids but what makes them unflattering is the mother. She rattles off their accomplishments one after the other. It seems like she lumps them all together maybe concentrating on Kyrian. When the poor kid was dancing she screams " Go ahead Kyrian, do whatever you want,  its your stage." SHUT-UP.  She lamely explained it later by saying that the instructor didnt teach it correctly. No lady, you were too busy yapping your jaws to hear what she said. Then theres Veronica, brother. This lady is out of control I dont know where to start. First her daughter cannot sing. She was forcing her to do just about everything. She dressed her so provocatively that she cannot possibibly not see that the only thing she will get looking like that is an unsavory reputation. It is very hard to clean up a reputation even if its untrue. Kim  was not as bad but more annoying. She lipped every single thing that came out of her kids mouth. I found it hugely distracting so I can see how her daughter must feel. Her daughter did so much better when she was not in the room you would think that it would get into her big head. Meagans mother - who did the EUC thing -I would humorsly note that she was the only kid who didnt have EUC.  Lastely, as they showed the touching footage of Grace saying how hard the pressure is, KiKi her mom sat there with a plastic smile pasted on her face. I dont think much of any of these mothers, its the kids and their reactions that impressed me.

August 27, 2007, 3:37 pm CDT

Why oh why?

Quote From: kaysquare

Oh goodie, yet another Dr.Phil show involving Mother's pushing children into show biz.   From what I've seen of these shows in the past (& there have been a few) they are nothing but  obsessed Mothers acting more like brats than their not-particularly talented children.  And they can all justify their behavior for one obscure reason or another. 
I cannot understand, for the life of me, why any mother would want her child to be in show business.  Don't you ever read the tabloids or watch E?  These are shallow, depressed, and depressing people.  They are soulless shells who do drugs, abuse alcohol, and lead lives of degradation and moral depravity.  Why would you want your child involved with that?  Why wouldn't you want your child to be a teacher, a nurse, a counselor, a social worker, a doctor, a researcher, anything that adds to the goodness in the world?   Why would you want your child to grow up to be a derelict?  Even the stars who have their own personal act together lead very odd lives where they can't walk through an airport, go to a movie, or even walk into a grocery store without being attacked by papparazzi and other onlookers.  Who would want to live like that?  Give me my quiet walks around the lakes, my close circle of family and friends, and a life of peace and doing good for others.  Hollywood?   EEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!

August 28, 2007, 1:24 pm CDT

Congradulations - Gracie's Mom Did a Great Job

Quote From: graciesdad

If you actually take the time to watch the show, you might be surprised to find that the trailers only tell part of the story.  You might see that although there's certainly behavior anyone would find less than healthy and likely a little embarrassing for the mother's involved and their families, you might also see some kids with some true talent and authentic ambition to achieve a dream that is entirely their own dream.

For every Lindsay Lohan, there's a Jodie Foster.  My other child has a very regular life in a small town in Kentucky and I can tell you that he faces just as many challenges and temptations as does my daughter in Hollywood.

Plus, I'm not so sure anyone should close the books on what a clearly bright and talented woman like Lindsay Lohan might achieve before its all said and done.  Anyone remember Madonna or Angelena Jolie?

Being a critic is always the easiest of occupations.  These parents, flawed as they may be, are mostly loving parents who want the best for their children are willing to go to great lengths to demonstrate that love even when the message is filtered through their own human imperfection :-)

So, let's all watch and see what we think after the finale next Monday!

Respectfully,

Gracie's Dad

I did not mean to quote the entire email message, sorry!

I wanted to congradulate Gracie on her fantastic win. I did not think that her mother was ever out of line with Gracie. She was positive and focused, without turning into a dictatorial shrew. I believe that her even keel helped Gracie feel confident and inspired. I did get the feeling that Gracie's mom would do anything to help her children acheive their dreams. I did not get the feeling that she will push Gracie into doing just anything to be successful in Hollywood, as I did get that feeling with some other mothers.

Once again, congradulations, and I'm sure that you are very proud of both of your children.

August 30, 2007, 10:44 am CDT

What is The Name Of The Dance Coach

Does anyone know the name of the Dance Coach?  Also, what were the cards she gave the kids to remember the dance moves?

September 6, 2007, 5:36 am CDT

Gracie

Quote From: mruzza9

I did not mean to quote the entire email message, sorry!

I wanted to congradulate Gracie on her fantastic win. I did not think that her mother was ever out of line with Gracie. She was positive and focused, without turning into a dictatorial shrew. I believe that her even keel helped Gracie feel confident and inspired. I did get the feeling that Gracie's mom would do anything to help her children acheive their dreams. I did not get the feeling that she will push Gracie into doing just anything to be successful in Hollywood, as I did get that feeling with some other mothers.

Once again, congradulations, and I'm sure that you are very proud of both of your children.

Was wondering if I could get a follow up on how Gracie's career is going.  I thought she was just adorable and very very talented.                                                                  Thank You, Mrs&Mom

September 14, 2007, 7:26 pm CDT

PLEASE HELP

Quote From: mrsandmom

Was wondering if I could get a follow up on how Gracie's career is going.  I thought she was just adorable and very very talented.                                                                  Thank You, Mrs&Mom

sorry for the quote,im just a newbie here!!

i  wanted to know if ay of you knew any succesful agents with good connections for acting in NYC. also, if you have  an agent in LA and you live in NY is that a problem? please write back or better to emailme at petstar21@hotmail.com thanks

September 16, 2007, 2:40 am CDT

08/22 The Dr. Phil House: "Make My Kid a Star"

Quote From: ozwonk

Many push and belittle their children and seem more interested in fame (for their child or them, I'm not sure), than the self-esteem of their child.  Swearing, calling a daughter a brat?  If they aren't stage moms, who in the world do stage moms do? 

Dear Dr. Phil and Veronica

I feel sorry for these kids but I also feel sorry for the moms who have limited insight and limited parenting skills. Dr. Phil you say you do this for the kids and I believe you. I think though by alienating Veronica, you did her a hugh disservice and even more of a disservice to the daughter.

Veronica is not a sophisticated lady. She is not a very reflective or insightful person. She needs to get some insight  and new parenting skills so she can change for her own sake and that of her daughter. I do not think you treated her with respect and dignity. I know that she was a prickly customer and I suspect Veronica you know you were. I don't think you did it on purpose. I think you were scared and overwhelmed and that is your defensive posture.

Dr. Phil you usually do a really good job but I think you blew it this time. I hope you are a big enough person to reach out to Veronica and see she gets the help she needs.

Veronica when I say that you are not sophisticated, I don't mean that in a bad way. Most people don't have a lot of insight unless they have had some professional help. Insight gives us the tools to be better at what we are doing. The parenting skills required to coach and promote your child are different from your everyday parentling skills. That is why I say you need to get a little help with that.

You need some help to articulate the fine things about your daughter and her talent and to articulate your own talents. For a very few people this comes naturally, but most of us need to be coached. That is the same thing for parenting. Being a parent isn't much, it is the parenting that is the hard work. I see you love your daughter and want what is best for her.

If Dr. Phil reaches out to you I hope you will accept his offer of help. He is sincere. Just like you aren't always at your best because you are human and learning, so is her. Forget about who is right, just grab on to whatever he is willing to help you with. Once that help and born some fruit for you in your life pass it on and do something for someone else.

I wish all three of your the best of luck. Dr. Phil thanks for all the great things you do. Veronica take help you deserve it.

Warmly

Leslie in Toronto

January 31, 2008, 2:06 pm CST

Leading Questions

Once again Dr. Phil belittles those who aren't successful or who are struggling. I could be wrong but I have not seen Dr. Phil once challenge "celebraties" face to face. The most sickening was when during the 2004 Presidental election he did not ask one difficult question to either Kerry or Bush. In fact he stated how lucky the USA was in having such "good" candidates as leaders. If they are good I would hate to see bad. Anyway back to this show while I saw some "bad" parenting the Mums at least cared for their children. The show said more about the USA and its over emphasis on celebrity than how to be successful or about talent. Let's face it some so called celebraties are pretty talentless. Dr. Phil when are you going to stop treading on the poor and start making the rich accountable?

First | Prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | Next Page | Last Page