Message Boards

Topic : 08/23 The Dr. Phil House: "Make My Kid a Star," Part 2

Number of Replies: 711
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 11, 2007, 02:27:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/15/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition continues! Seven talented kids compete against each other in The Dr. Phil House while auditioning in front of some of Hollywood’s most esteemed child talent agents. But the true test is to see if the mothers can handle the stress of coaching their kids without ruining their chances to be noticed. Big prizes are at stake, including the ultimate opportunity to become an established child actor in Hollywood. One child has already won the photo challenge and the dance audition, and some of the competitors are not happy. Today, three more auditions take place, and the judges pull no punches. One child breaks down in tears, but is it the judges’ criticism or the pressure from her own mother that is the cause? Dr. Phil meets with the moms alone and questions their motives for pushing their children, including a harsh criticism of one mom who the talent agents think presents her child in a provocative way. Tempers flare as moms grow desperate. Can Dr. Phil teach them how to become an asset to their children instead of a liability? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 13, 2007, 9:43 pm CDT

A Message from Gracie's Dad

I'm the father of the 'Gracie' participating in Dr. Phil's 'Make My Kid a Star' with her mother, Kiki.  First, I want to thank Gracie's mother for her courage to be on this show when she knew going into the project that Dr. Phil and his producers were likely looking to uncover more than just whose kid might have what it takes to 'be a star'.  She and her husband and I discussed the issue at length, but, decided in the final analysis that Gracie understood all sides of this opportunity, including the risks involved that things could go badly or that we might learn some things about ourselves that would be difficult to learn in front a few million of Dr. Phil's viewers.

Really, it was simply our belief in Gracie and our confidence that we were honestly supporting HER dreams and not vice versa that gave us enough of a comfort level to do this show.  Again, the parental credit all goes to Kiki and I couldn't be more pround of her.  Of course, none of us have seen the show so there could very well be plenty of footage that'll make us all blush or worse, but, we're all very excited about the show and ready to learn some lessons that will only build on the insights that  Gracie and Kiki learned during the actual taping of the show.

Like any loving and rational parent, I love my kids regardless of their objective level of talent or ambition.  My and Kiki's son, Warren, is perfectly content to live with me in a town of 400 people in rural Kentucky, perform in school plays, hang out with his friends and be his Dad's best friend.  Like most siblings, Gracie's different.  She has a very singular ambition of becoming a working actress in Hollywood.

I don't find anything wrong with either vision.  Our kids are individuals and they've chosen individual paths in life, as you'd expect.  For both of them, their mother and I along with their very large extended family support system have guided them with a couple of very simple principles:

1. You can do or be anything you desire.  No dream is too big and no ambition is too grand.  The only true limitation in life is your belief.  If you believe you can -- you can!  If you believe you can't -- then you can't.

2. Life is a journey and not a destination!  Whatever your dreams may be, never forget that happiness comes from the joy of becoming and from the adventures along the way.  If you embrace the adventure of getting there, then the ultimate destination will never matter too much.

We hope these principles come through over the course of Dr. Phil's 3 day special.  Either way, I know that my daughter is a very loving, kind, generous, thoughtful and talented young woman and that she'd got the best mom a girl could ever hope to have to guide her along life's pathways!

Sincerely,

Gracie's Dad (...and Warren's too!)

May 14, 2007, 3:02 pm CDT

twins?

as I was watching this show I realised Maria's mother Veronica looks like the best-friend of Drew Berrymore in "The Wedding Singer"... its freaky how much they look alike, if you go to imdb.com and type in the wedding singer you will see the similarities

May 14, 2007, 3:13 pm CDT

05/15 The Dr. Phil House: "Make My Kid a Star," Part 2

I cannot believe all of these mothers. Why would you go on national televison and act so DUMB!! I mean all of the viewers seen how each and EVER child did not want to go ahead with their "Big Dream" Kids need to be KIDS!!

May 14, 2007, 7:45 pm CDT

Good for you...

Quote From: graciesdad

I'm the father of the 'Gracie' participating in Dr. Phil's 'Make My Kid a Star' with her mother, Kiki.  First, I want to thank Gracie's mother for her courage to be on this show when she knew going into the project that Dr. Phil and his producers were likely looking to uncover more than just whose kid might have what it takes to 'be a star'.  She and her husband and I discussed the issue at length, but, decided in the final analysis that Gracie understood all sides of this opportunity, including the risks involved that things could go badly or that we might learn some things about ourselves that would be difficult to learn in front a few million of Dr. Phil's viewers.

Really, it was simply our belief in Gracie and our confidence that we were honestly supporting HER dreams and not vice versa that gave us enough of a comfort level to do this show.  Again, the parental credit all goes to Kiki and I couldn't be more pround of her.  Of course, none of us have seen the show so there could very well be plenty of footage that'll make us all blush or worse, but, we're all very excited about the show and ready to learn some lessons that will only build on the insights that  Gracie and Kiki learned during the actual taping of the show.

Like any loving and rational parent, I love my kids regardless of their objective level of talent or ambition.  My and Kiki's son, Warren, is perfectly content to live with me in a town of 400 people in rural Kentucky, perform in school plays, hang out with his friends and be his Dad's best friend.  Like most siblings, Gracie's different.  She has a very singular ambition of becoming a working actress in Hollywood.

I don't find anything wrong with either vision.  Our kids are individuals and they've chosen individual paths in life, as you'd expect.  For both of them, their mother and I along with their very large extended family support system have guided them with a couple of very simple principles:

1. You can do or be anything you desire.  No dream is too big and no ambition is too grand.  The only true limitation in life is your belief.  If you believe you can -- you can!  If you believe you can't -- then you can't.

2. Life is a journey and not a destination!  Whatever your dreams may be, never forget that happiness comes from the joy of becoming and from the adventures along the way.  If you embrace the adventure of getting there, then the ultimate destination will never matter too much.

We hope these principles come through over the course of Dr. Phil's 3 day special.  Either way, I know that my daughter is a very loving, kind, generous, thoughtful and talented young woman and that she'd got the best mom a girl could ever hope to have to guide her along life's pathways!

Sincerely,

With supportive parents like that, it is no wonder that Gracie won the photo and the dance competitions.  Others, particularly Veronica and the mother of the three boys, aren't near as much help to their kids as they think. 

May 15, 2007, 1:41 am CDT

I cant believe that they had to blurb out the pics of Veronicas daughter because of the nudity involved on a 13 year old.  HOW DISGUSTING!  Veronica, your going to become a grandmother at a VERY young age and itll be your fault!  Or (GOD FORBID)  something worse might happen to her because you have her showing off her "goods" for the whole world to see!  I hope that her seeing herself and the way shes doing everything but getting money for her daughters body, that it might change things.  I highly doubt it but I hope so.

May 15, 2007, 2:48 am CDT

I'm rooting for Gracie!

Sincerely,

You can obviously see that kiki is a WONDERFUL  mother and pretty much has learned how to HELP and guide Gracie the right way. Gracie is in fact beautiful, smart and obviously full of talent. Kudos to Kiki and Gracie.

May 15, 2007, 2:53 am CDT

Sincerely,

Quote from sassie:  What a great attitude! It is refreshing to  see and Gracie is a blessed little girl to have a mom as she has! I hope the best for her as well as the rest of the kids competing on the shows.  I hope that the other mothers having the problems that are evident on screen will be able to put down their competitiveness and learn a few things from how well Kiki is handling it all up to this point.

May 15, 2007, 3:00 am CDT

I'm rooting for Gracie!

Kiki, kudos to you for supporting and HELPING Gracie fulfill her dreams. Gracie is obviously beautiful and talented and I hope she does make it some day. The other mothers in the house should learn by Kiki's example. I am appalled by the other mother's behavior especially the mother who is constantly cursing and yelling at her daughter, you should be so ashamed of your behavior.

May 15, 2007, 3:55 am CDT

Make My Kid a Star

I think Gracie won both contests because she is the best one there.

Instead of standing there,when she didn't remember her dance steps, she kept on dancing.  That is very smart for a girl to do.  It looked as if the other kids just gave up.

As for the Sears photo shoot.  Gracie's mother didn't curl and then straighten her hair or put on globs of makeup.  Gracie is a natural.

Before Gracie has a job to do her and her mother have a little saying.  That is so much better tham ALL the Other MOTHERS yelling or cussing at thier kids.

I think Gracie is the all round package, amd I think she will go far in the show and in Hollywood.

Maybe the other parents should take a tip or two from Gracie and her Mother, instead of being so jealous of them.

Good Luck Gracie.. You deserve it

May 15, 2007, 3:58 am CDT

make my kid a star

Hy Dr. Phil, I watched part 1 of 'make my kid a star' and are you kidding me. None of these children come near to being a star. I found the show useless (for the 1st time) since I watch the show.  Maybe I am old fashioned but these kids need to be in school studying and playing outside with their friends. If they are 'star' stuff let it come later in life when the child decides by him or herself rather than by their pushy parents.  I hope I never see this kind of show again. It was a big joke!!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last