Message Boards

Topic : 08/31 Girly Men?

Number of Replies: 246
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 11, 2007, 02:32:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/18/07) Many women dream of finding the perfect man -- one who's attractive, romantic, intelligent and even in touch with his feminine side. But what happens when he spends more time at the mirror than you do and pampers himself with manicures, facials and even carries a purse? Abbie says her husband, A.J., is high maintenance and takes forever getting ready in the bathroom because he’s tweezing, waxing, moisturizing and putting on makeup! A.J. is a self-proclaimed metrosexual and admits to giving his wife unwanted beauty tips. Abbie says A.J.'s flamboyant behavior takes a toll on their marriage. She wants him to act more manly, but is she sabotaging his manhood? And, Joleen says her husband, German, prefers to do the cooking and cleaning, but leaves all the man's work for her. She says she's forced to clean gutters, chop wood and make hauls to the dump! German says he does all the housework, and it drives him crazy when his wife unwinds with a beer instead of helping him with the chores. Joleen's father and brother say she used to be the princess of the family, but now German wears the tiara! Can this couple find a middle ground? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 11, 2007, 6:00 pm CDT

My hubby, the metro...

My husband's a bit of a metrosexual.  He takes forever (a LOT longer than I do) getting ready.  He's just really meticulous about hairspray and changes his shirt 2-3 times before deciding on one that is "appropriate".  He doesn't wear make-up, tweeze, or give me unsolicited fashion advice though.  It gets frustrating sometimes because I get impulsive and just want to grab my purse and go.  It's like waiting on a friggin' toddler to use the bathroom, and he'd spend an hour in there if I didn't expedite the process.

Although, the up-side of having a hubby like this is that HE COOKS!  Hallelujah!  He actually likes cooking, it's the strangest thing, PLUS he takes pride in it and finds ways to perfect his recipes.  He does the majority of the cooking in the house hold (won't let me cook sometimes, which tells you how well i don't cook).  And then with the rest of the chores, it's pretty even, but he'll be more meticulous (like when mom used to follow after i cleaned, to "smooth it over"), in which case, why bother? 

Anyway, I suspected as much when i married the guy that he wasn't going to be the Marlboro man.  That's okay, the Marlboro man couldn't handle me anyway.  =)

May 12, 2007, 9:36 am CDT

05/18 Girly Men?

Quote From: gwarrior6

My husband's a bit of a metrosexual.  He takes forever (a LOT longer than I do) getting ready.  He's just really meticulous about hairspray and changes his shirt 2-3 times before deciding on one that is "appropriate".  He doesn't wear make-up, tweeze, or give me unsolicited fashion advice though.  It gets frustrating sometimes because I get impulsive and just want to grab my purse and go.  It's like waiting on a friggin' toddler to use the bathroom, and he'd spend an hour in there if I didn't expedite the process.

Although, the up-side of having a hubby like this is that HE COOKS!  Hallelujah!  He actually likes cooking, it's the strangest thing, PLUS he takes pride in it and finds ways to perfect his recipes.  He does the majority of the cooking in the house hold (won't let me cook sometimes, which tells you how well i don't cook).  And then with the rest of the chores, it's pretty even, but he'll be more meticulous (like when mom used to follow after i cleaned, to "smooth it over"), in which case, why bother? 

Anyway, I suspected as much when i married the guy that he wasn't going to be the Marlboro man.  That's okay, the Marlboro man couldn't handle me anyway.  =)

This looks like an interesting show dosen't it ?

Okay the idea of competing for bathroom time would drive me nuts, I admit and its bad enough my teen daughter gets into my makeup and hair products, I would have to hide it if my husband and son were into it as well, my husband's idea of "Doing his hair " is too shave it off (and his hair is the type that is a waste on most men ).

Your husband COOKS, lucky woman.  I don't allow mine in the kitchen, hate cleaning up after him when he does cook, but I am teaching my son to cook at least more than KD and Hot dogs, his future wife might appreciate that.

He will help around the house when asked, but meticulous, NOPE, but like you I knew this and accepted it as the way he is, he's not a total slob, and I don't spend my days following behind him, and he ensures that the cars stay running, and the lawn is mowed and any handy work that needs doing gets done, so I don't complain about it and I don't think I'll be dragging him on Dr. Phil anytime soon.

May 13, 2007, 1:51 pm CDT

05/18 Girly Men?

If my husband did any of this stuff your husband does i would say so long baby!   Metrosexual come on where do they come up with this stuff.  I know it says for better or worse but really it didnt cover this.

texas

May 13, 2007, 5:52 pm CDT

05/18 Girly Men?

My husband is all man who takes an hour longer than myself to get ready. I just get up an hour before he does and that solves the bathroom issues. When he's ready to go, I better be ready as he will pace, LOL.  We enjoy church together and do most everything together except we work opposite schedules at the same workplace. We share the work load at home. I cut and stack wood along side him with my own chain saw. We both cook, although I do 90% of the house cleaning and all of the laundry, he does all of the vehicles upkeep and repair. I do most of the yard work, occassionally he'll help me weed-wack. When I had my stroke last year he had to do everything for about two months. He is a wonderful man. With only half the income now and me disabled we remain living in his shop with roll up doors. Our love handles any discomfort from crowded space or lack of luster.

May 13, 2007, 6:37 pm CDT

my man is all man!

My husband is very masculine, nothing girly about him at all.  His idea of getting ready is a quick shower, runs his hands through his hair and dressed and out the door.  He does help some around the house with housework, but mostly tends to the outside.  He is very sweet and tentive to my feelings and needs.  He doesn't get real mushy tho, that's just not his thing.  He only cooks when I'm sick or can't for some reason, but most of the time if comes to that, he's ordering pizza or something.  I have a teenage son that I've taught to cook some things in case he HAS to for some reason.  I've also taught him how to do laundry, just basic neccessities in case of emergency or I'm not able for some reason.  I think we have a good system here.  I do the inside work though for the most part and my husband does the outside and since he's a mechanic, he also tends to maintenance, etc. on our vehicles.  I feel so blessed to have him and think we're good together.

May 13, 2007, 8:41 pm CDT

05/18 Girly Men?

i think this is a waste of a show... who cares how these men act and especially if they act "girls"....so they take care of themselves, whats wrong with that??

May 13, 2007, 8:42 pm CDT

05/18 Girly Men?

as far as the man AJ that wears makeup and carries a purse, um hes gay.

May 13, 2007, 9:17 pm CDT

Are you sure???

Hey, with all the AC/DC bisexual stuff, I would be worried.?????

I like my man very manly.  Even though he is very picky about his hair and uses hairspray, he is a weightlifter, has a very low voice, and is very strong and manly in most every way. I would check up on him every now and then, just for good measure, just like anyone should check up on their spouse or partner. Don't be the last in town to know, and occasional checking is a good preventative, as long as it is not obsessive. I know no one is perfect, and he knows I will be checking to make sure he has to pay big tie if he messes up. I will catch it before it has gone too far beyond repair, also.

May 14, 2007, 3:21 am CDT

Damned if they do!! Damned if they don't

You should love him for who HE is. You can't have it all ways. There will be some things you can cope with and some you can't. Work out what is most important. If you are still attracted to him as a member of the opposite sex , your husband, lover....then great.... if not, then do the decent thing and set him free to be appreciated .....

May 14, 2007, 10:56 am CDT

I totally agree with you!

Quote From: rebelone53

If my husband did any of this stuff your husband does i would say so long baby!   Metrosexual come on where do they come up with this stuff.  I know it says for better or worse but really it didnt cover this.

texas

Seems to me a bunch of men that think they are woman. mabye next they need hormones.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last