Message Boards

Topic : Coping with Stress

Number of Replies: 324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:52:50 am
Author : dataimport
Is stress ruining your life? Have you discovered great coping strategies or ways to reduce the anxiety of living? Don't be stressed, kick off your shoes and talk with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 11, 2005, 12:05 am CDT

Coping with Stress

Stress is something i know A LOT about after the past few years dealing with my health and just being a teen in general.  One place that i go to calm down and be happy is the message board that i moderate.  its full of a lot of fun, intelligent, and interesting people and the conversations leave me feeling pretty good.  Recently i started karate, that has helped me get in shape, release my anger, decrease my anxiety, and has also helped with my breathing.  we actually have breathing exercises in class that stretch your lungs, and that does WODNERS for someone with asthma. 

as jewels1 said music is a great stress reliever.

i have a lot of different types of music that i listen to, but my favorite is just about anything metal/rock.  I like a lot of different bands that most people would probably want to ban from playing in their city(many of my favorites have).  I like intelligent music that is well thought out, good lyrics, stuff like that.  also soemthing i can relate to.  music is about expression, and a lot of musicians express the violence and agression that i can't right now.  to me listening to some really, really hard metal calms me down.  i guess the best way i can describe it is with a question...ever just had such a rough day where you would just like to throw something, or hit a punching bag?  well, the metal i like does that for you with the music.  lots of people think rock and metal makes kids violent, it doesnt.  if a kid has serious issues they will act out anyways. 

October 12, 2005, 8:34 am CDT

Coping with Stress

to be honest stress does ruin my life sometimes.because my stress goes from that to anger then thats how i really get into trouble.

October 13, 2005, 11:53 am CDT

Coping with Stress

Quote From: jewels1

I have found an excellent way to relieve my stress and reduce some of life's anxieties.  And that is music.   There are so many different genres of music but some are specifically geared at helping to reduce stress.  Either way, if you find some kind of music that you like, you can kick back, close your eyes, and focus on the music instead of your problems for a while.  I find that taking my mind off things, if only for a while, helps me to reflect and problem-solve, and feel more energized and better ready to handle things constantly being thrown my way. 

I like a lot of music but my favorite artist for just such a purpose:  BRADLEY JOSEPH 

He's a wonderful composer/pianist/keyboardist, who creates the most emotional music I've ever heard.    A lot of his music is designed to help the listener "calm, compose, and renew".  And some of his music is fun and upbeat which really helps my mood too - gets my bootie moving to clean this house!  LOL  

What is your favorite music to help relieve stress?   

Quote by Sellinger:   i have a lot of different types of music that i listen to, but my favorite is just about anything metal/rock.  I like a lot of different bands that most people would probably want to ban from playing in their city(many of my favorites have).  I like intelligent music that is well thought out, good lyrics, stuff like that.  also soemthing i can relate to.  music is about expression, and a lot of musicians express the violence and agression that i can't right now.  to me listening to some really, really hard metal calms me down.  i guess the best way i can describe it is with a question...ever just had such a rough day where you would just like to throw something, or hit a punching bag?  well, the metal i like does that for you with the music.  lots of people think rock and metal makes kids violent, it doesnt.  if a kid has serious issues they will act out anyways.   

Hmmm, good point Sellingen! My son has always liked heavy metal/rock, and I may not like it much, but he's a good kid, hasn't affected him negatively that I can tell. I've never really thought to ask him if that is what helps him feel better - his music, maybe I should.  Interesting.  

Okay two completely opposite genres that help deal with stress - contemporary instrumental, and heavy metal.  

What else? 

October 14, 2005, 8:55 pm CDT

Music and stress

I too used to find heavy metal a great stress reliever. Metallica being my all time favorite.  It was a way to express my anger with out acting out.  The only bad thing about using it as your main crutch for stress or emotions is...it becomes a crutch.  I am now 31 and am finding that I still do not always use good coping skills and that it is part of the reason why I still have to take antidepressants.  It sux!  I imagined myself at this age to have it all together.   

I posted to this subject because I needed to post and did not know exactly where to reply.  A little about me.  I am a single mother of an 8 years old.  Never married.  I moved three years ago, 1800 miles away from my home town, to work with my company and I still don't have any social life.  I have tried churches, community events, etc.  I am at a lost.  I cant hide in my apartment all the time, and I need to get out as much as my son does and socialize.   

Any suggestions would be appreciated?! 

October 18, 2005, 10:16 am CDT

human nature

I need someone to explain this to me. 

I am having a hard time understanding people.  From my point of view, I always give people benefit of the doubt until the other person proves me wrong.  I always give people ( in general) just an once of respect at our first meeting.  I always say thank you, sorry and excuse me.  But I feel like am the only one.  There is the saying that goes around in here, you teach people how to treat you.  Well....what is wrong with this way?  And believe me I am not a door mat either.  I have people who do not like me, because I am too direct. 

I can be walking along at the store, no one knows me, I have not said anything, just shopping and people will run into me, they step in front of me with out a word of excuse me.  I am going down the street in my car, I always run with my lights on, even in the daytime, people pull out in front of me, causing me to have to step hard on the brakes.   

Where did all these rude people come from?  Why is being nasty first always better?  Why can't people look beyond their own nose to realise there are other people around them? 

October 19, 2005, 8:24 am CDT

Maybe you are "tuned in" to rudeness...

Quote From: normalita

I need someone to explain this to me. 

I am having a hard time understanding people.  From my point of view, I always give people benefit of the doubt until the other person proves me wrong.  I always give people ( in general) just an once of respect at our first meeting.  I always say thank you, sorry and excuse me.  But I feel like am the only one.  There is the saying that goes around in here, you teach people how to treat you.  Well....what is wrong with this way?  And believe me I am not a door mat either.  I have people who do not like me, because I am too direct. 

I can be walking along at the store, no one knows me, I have not said anything, just shopping and people will run into me, they step in front of me with out a word of excuse me.  I am going down the street in my car, I always run with my lights on, even in the daytime, people pull out in front of me, causing me to have to step hard on the brakes.   

Where did all these rude people come from?  Why is being nasty first always better?  Why can't people look beyond their own nose to realise there are other people around them? 

Maybe you are under such stress in life that these sorts of people just stand out like sore thumbs. I used to be stressed and anxious all the time, and the whole world seemed to be geared towards getting my goat! Everytime I turned around I was being, snubbed, discounted, ignored, cut off, and just plain stepped on.

There is an over abundance of rudeness in our lives today, but when you decide not to concentrate on it, it takes a back seat. I now look for the bright spots that come up everyday. And I've found that once I found peace and serenity in myself, I project a persona that others respond to. Instead of frowns and avoidance, I get smiles and helpful gestures.

October 21, 2005, 9:58 am CDT

I can relate to the loud thoughts

Quote From: bernesha03

It doesn't take much for me to become stressed. I am 20 years old, psychology major, Spanish minor, and it is my junior year. I have several problems that I need to deal with, but don't. I often feel like I am talking to myself, because my thoughts seem really loud and I can't relax. Sometimes I become so interested in my thoughts that I begin to have a mental conversation. I also get really anxious sometimes, but I don't know why? I know I can't stop thinking, but does anyone have suggestions on how I can clear my mind or get my thoughts to quiet down?

I know how that feels.  It is unnerving in and of itself when your brain just won't shut up.  Have you tried writing in a journal?  You could even use the diaries feature here.   Sometimes it helps me to write a list of the things on my mind that I need to do, so I can reassure myself that I can continue my worrying tomorrow! LOL  Try a physical activity like folding laundry, because work that requires repetitive hand motions often quiets the brain.  Oh yeah, you are a psych major, you probably know that.  Don't be afraid to talk to a counselor or your pastor about your anxieties, or even speak to your doctor.  He might give you some medicine to help you relax.  Just some thoughts!   

Good Luck and Smile! 

~Sunshine~ 

October 21, 2005, 10:58 am CDT

More Great Information

You can find more helpful information about coping with stress at www.embracingwomanshealth.com.  Check it out.

October 21, 2005, 12:15 pm CDT

Thank You!!!

Quote From: wizzard51

You can find more helpful information about coping with stress at www.embracingwomanshealth.com.  Check it out.
I will be sure to check that out!

October 28, 2005, 4:58 am CDT

the things we go thru at such tender ages!

Quote From: brandi24

Since 2002 (when I was 21) life has gone down hill.  Isnt that supposed to be the best time of your life?  It was the worst for me. On Valentines Day of 2002 my father  passed away.  My father and I had been fighting when he died so of course I have alot of guilt.  My brother and sister did not want the responsibility of controling his estate, so of course I had to be the one to do it and it was not fun at all. That had to be the most stressful period in my life.  

Also that year I was diagnosed with crohns disease. No one in my family understands the pain that I go through almost daily with the disease. I have been in the hospital 2 times since Aug 04 and my weight has been up and down.  Right now I am not happy with myself.  We were told that it was hereditary but we cant find anyone in our family who has had it.???? 

I am recently married although right now I am separated.  I have a waitressing job and business is slow so I am not making money, therefore  I have to stay with my mother. 

I have been through alot at such a young age.  I know that I am smart, beautiful ,and I always try to look at the positive.  I know everything happens for a reason although we may not understand why it happened at that particular time eventually we will get it.  I am thankful I have a home a job and a car.  But it is still hard trying to cope with everything that has happened and my daily stresses. 

Any suggestions on how to deal with the stress? 

Hi There. I am 22 years old and I feel that I have gone through things that some adults won't be able to live thru. I had an abusive father who beat everyone up in the family. He lived with us but never bought any food for us or even clothed us! We had to rely on relatives for everything! I am the eldest in my family and now the responsibility has fallen on me to take care of my mother and three younger sisters. I have just started working and I live approx 400 miles from them but I have to do everything from school fees to food to house payments on top of paying my own rent, food, transport you name it. My mother has threatened to sue him for maintanance and he has threatened to kill all of us. He bought a gun a few years ago and has threatened to use it several times - whenever he wants to put his point across he will put the gun in front of him and look at us as if saying "dare to say something I don't like'. B'cos of this we can't sue for maintanance. The responsibility is on my little shoulders. Two of my younger sisters will be going to university next year and guess who has to make that happen? Me! My mother tries her best but b'cos my father refused to let her work for the past 25 years she has no skills. Mind you I still have to pay for my varsity loan or I'll be blacklisted - b4 I can even buy my own car! To top it all up my boyfriend/soulmate - thebest thing that has ever happened to me - of 7 years is showing signs of being an alcoholic. He drinks three times a week and comes home in the early hours of the morning. tThe only time he doesn't drink is when he has a hangover. I have tried everything with him but nothing. He was the only person I could ever rely on. No, he's not abusive but my father calls me sometimes a calls me all sorts of names just b'cos one of my sisters called him and asked for bread or something. My father has his own business and makes thousands and everyday I wander why me. Why did it have to be us? My mother tried to divorce him with our support but guess who brought out the gun? I am sick, tired, and I feel like my head will explode. I am constantly crying and the only thing that keeps me going is the thought that if I die (b4 my father kills us) or give up my sisters will have no one! But I believe that God never throws something that you can't handle and as one song says "He didn't bring you this far to leave you". I try to remember this at all times but it's hard. Don't you wish you were still 5years old running aroung in your undies worrying only about that butterfly that keeps flying off? If anyone has any advice for us please feel free to give it. Tiponi

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last