Message Boards

Topic : Self Image

Number of Replies: 1173
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:53:12 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have a positive or negative self image? Share your struggles and tips with us.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 29, 2005, 7:11 am CDT

Hi...

Quote From: freebird

Hi! Yes you're right. That is a very sad thing. I believe that to appreciate and wonder are the greatest gifts of the mind. However I often wonder myself if it is possible to delve too deeply into trying to find the "right" answer.  I'm an over-analyser myself. I tend to be the kind I was thinking of in my earlier message. It was an open question/thought, not a judgement. It's a neverending cycle to get stuck in. In the end you just end up feeling badly of yourself because you never see clearly. Everybody seems to have an opinion of how we are supposed to be. So many different ways we are supposed to think/look/feel/believe.

Having had to change myself to the extreme, I'm still looking for the good things I used to see in myself. Its a hard road. I'm my own harshest critic.  But by listening and watching, I'm learning. That's the key to life isn't it? Grow a little each day?

I think in the final analysis it  ultimately your choice your decision.  It is never ever to deep..How deep is too deep only your mind is the only thing that can stop you.. Just like how high is too high..

My personal MANTRA is conceive believe Achieve...

I believe it was Dr. Dwyer  (sorry Dr. Phil) but I am catching on to this big formula to the universe and it seems like the WINNERS have a hold of it..  It is Dr. Dwyer said on a PBS special it is available to each of us.  You can ask for a thimble or drink a whole wave...

It is very complex to get into the whole realm of thought right now because I have to go and take my walk...

However it is a wonderful series and I did see it at the book store right near Dr. Phil's book Life Strategies....

July 29, 2005, 9:12 pm CDT

It does depend.

Quote From: shelly2003

Sometimes I have a  bad self image and sometimes I have a good self image it depends on what type of day I had
When all goes well, it is easy to have that sought after positive self-image.  The harder project is to stay cheerful and upbeat when all doesn't go so well.

July 30, 2005, 8:15 am CDT

freebird

Quote From: freebird

Hi! Yes you're right. That is a very sad thing. I believe that to appreciate and wonder are the greatest gifts of the mind. However I often wonder myself if it is possible to delve too deeply into trying to find the "right" answer.  I'm an over-analyser myself. I tend to be the kind I was thinking of in my earlier message. It was an open question/thought, not a judgement. It's a neverending cycle to get stuck in. In the end you just end up feeling badly of yourself because you never see clearly. Everybody seems to have an opinion of how we are supposed to be. So many different ways we are supposed to think/look/feel/believe.

Having had to change myself to the extreme, I'm still looking for the good things I used to see in myself. Its a hard road. I'm my own harshest critic.  But by listening and watching, I'm learning. That's the key to life isn't it? Grow a little each day?

I used to get "analysis paralysis." And would always come away thinking I was the one that came up short. Sometimes we need a different perspective, or someone else's guidance. Our thoughts and opinions and even the way we react to situations are colored by past events and the feelings we internalized about them. I read SELF MATTERS and came to find out that conclusions I had come to in the past were wrong or misguided for current and future decisions. I was looking at the world through dark and dirty glasses. I was unable to "grow" at all. I owe Dr Phil a debt of gratitude for opening my eyes and changing the way I see the world and myself.

July 30, 2005, 8:18 am CDT

I agree,

Quote From: fleet13200

When all goes well, it is easy to have that sought after positive self-image.  The harder project is to stay cheerful and upbeat when all doesn't go so well.
 Getting through the rough times is the true test of your character and self image.

July 31, 2005, 4:26 pm CDT

I can agree on...

Quote From: ritehere

Getting through the rough times is the true test of your character and self image.

the character part but where does self image come in during rough times?  Sometimes people in life "Grin and bear it"?  Fake it until they make it...

Self image is I believe what one or one understands to be image of the self. During good or bad its all what we project outward isn't?

We all wear social masks..

Well anyway I am not nor do I pretend to be a Dr.  I do not have the brain energy or the smarts...That is for someone on a different level than me..

All I know is in my 20's I was OLD in my 40's I am young looking and boy do I have the pictures to prove it!.  Can someone answer me that one here in SELF IMAGE!

August 2, 2005, 5:38 am CDT

This subject hurts...

my brain...All I do know is on a daily basis because I worked from the inside out I am getting better and better and feeling that way too..

Also looking and caring for myself and ALL my needs..

Sorry I am NOT a professional and I am taking this off my discussion I am unscribing to this topic...

I wish you all well in finding you  I am in the business of finding ME!

August 2, 2005, 9:36 am CDT

Crybaby

I have no idea where to post this or where to begin to look for help. I am a crybaby and 50+.  I cry over sad songs, sad movies, in front of my coworkers if my feelings get hurt or even if I receive a compliment.  I am so embarassed by my behavior. Is there some way I can "desensitize"? It seems the older I get the worse it gets. I'm certain it has held me back in promotions at work.  HELP!!

August 2, 2005, 3:02 pm CDT

Self Image

Quote From: ladieejay

I have no idea where to post this or where to begin to look for help. I am a crybaby and 50+.  I cry over sad songs, sad movies, in front of my coworkers if my feelings get hurt or even if I receive a compliment.  I am so embarassed by my behavior. Is there some way I can "desensitize"? It seems the older I get the worse it gets. I'm certain it has held me back in promotions at work.  HELP!!

a lot of people cry over sad songs and movies!!!!  so your not the onlly one!!  So ask yourself something did someone make you feel unworthy at sometime in your like to make you cry when you are complimented or whatever?  you know a lot of times we are sensitive to things because of reasons like ways we were treated growing up.  so who treated you in a way that you just break down now if someone hurts you?  if you can answer these questions then you can work on it!!  it is ok to cry though really it is!!!  ooo yeah and besides i think a lot of women get worse as they are getting older!!!  so if you can ask yourself the questions i said then it will help you work on the natural part ofit all.  although itis ok to cry if someone hurts you and if you were crying in thankfulness to what someone complimented you on but what makes kyou cry then ask yourself!!1

with smiles

hisjewel!!!!

August 10, 2005, 7:16 am CDT

Crybabies

Quote From: ladieejay

Sorry I can't help you with this, but I can relate. I'm 48, and have had this affliction for several years also. It's funny, but I never went through this stage as a teenager. Remember when some girls turned into weeping wendy's? I guess it's just my turn now. It's aggravating though isn't it? I stop and take a couple of deep breaths when I feel my throat constricting with the next "attack." That usually cuts it short. Good luck.

August 10, 2005, 6:49 pm CDT

hey you all!!!

sorry i never come and chat anymore i am just so busy and towamarrow i don't know if I will even have a chance to check in then I leave on Friday morning!!!  I am doing great keep getting a little overwhelmed with somethings but I will be fine!!!

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last