Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Number of Replies: 550
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/21/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition heats up! Seven kids with stars in their eyes face the final leg of the competition in The Dr. Phil House, but do their mothers unwittingly sabotage their chances? After speaking with Veronica, Kiki and Larissa about how they could be a liability to their child’s success, Dr. Phil turns to Kim and Susan. Playing a video clip of Kim’s daughter, Alaina, in an interview, Dr. Phil points out the pressure and stress that she feels and how it may affect her performance in school. Then, Dr. Phil shows a video of Susan assisting her daughter, Meagan, during the dance rehearsals. In the video, Meagan struggles under her demands. Will these mothers adjust their behavior and take on a healthy, supportive role in their child’s career? Then, it’s time for the final talent show! Each child performs on the Dr. Phil stage, in front of his studio audience and a panel of Hollywood’s top talent agents, managers and casting directors, who decide the grand-prize winner. The children receive fabulous prizes for their hard work, but they mean little to one upset mother. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 19, 2007, 7:59 pm CDT

wow

I just wanted to post a little here. I do not have kids yet, but I look at this and the mothers look more like they are there for themselves. Not every kid wants to be a star, let them grow up to do something they want and support them that way!! That is the truth in being a star, is when you have accomplished what you have always wanted. It doesn't mean to act or model. I am a star in my eyes and my parents. I grew up with a dream of dong something good for myself and following in my father's footsteps of being in the Air Force. I am in the Air Force and I believe I am a star for putting up with all the BS the military is given.

Take care of your kids, and love them for who they are and not for what you want them to be.

May 19, 2007, 8:19 pm CDT

05/21 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Quote From: drfilisgr8

My daughter at one time wanted to be a "big time" actress as a much as I didn't want it for her (come on ladies name one child star that is a well adjusted and happy young adult) I felt I had to let her try. She was 12 at the time and of course I too thought she was the most talented beautiful....... so we signed with one of the top agencies here in Toronto.

She did her acting  and modeling classes. She had 12 auditions and believe it or not 11 call backs. She ended up making 3 international commercials. One audition was for the movie  A Series of Unfortunate Events.  We actually had the Hollywood script in our hands!!!! She was auditioning for the Violet the lead girl in the movie.  They started out with 10,000 girls and my daughter  made it to the cut of 200.  She was so happy with that. For me it was many sleepless nights knowing that if she did get the part we would have to leave my husband and younger son for about 6 months.  I felt sick. Again it kept going through my head that this was not the life I wanted for her.

Finally we got the call she had been waiting for. Her agent called to say that they wanted my daughter for a part in a weekly series.  They were shooting a pilot and they would pay her $10,000 for 7 days work. It was late August and shooting would start the 2nd week of September. I had such mixed feelings, happy for her but nervous too. I sat her down and told her expecting her to be excited and jumping up and down. She looked at me and said " I am so sorry mom but I don't want to do it, I really applicate every thing you have done for me but it is so boring sitting around and waiting all the time and I am starting High School and I can't miss 7 days of school."!!!!!  I could not believe what I was hearing!!!! We talked about the money and I told her she would have it made for University. She would not have to worry about working and for her to really think about it before I called her agent. She went to her room and 2 hours later she came down stairs and told my husband I that her decision was final and the answer was no. The pressure of starting High School and missing the 1st 2 weeks was too much.

Talk about the moment when I was the proudest of my daughter. She is now in grade 11, an honor roll student, happy with lots of close friends and has no regrets.

These moms are so selfish and are only thinking about themselves!!!!!

Every out of control mother aired on this show should read your story 10 times over, just in case there might be a small chance they could learn from your experience.  Unfortunately, it seems most of them are too blinded by unrealistic visions for their children (or themselves) to "get it".

It's obvious to me that your family is extremely well adjusted. I predict that this young lady will have great success in every aspect of her future.  Bravo to you all!

May 19, 2007, 8:27 pm CDT

Negative Parents and their children

To me there was a reason why Gracie won those two contests and that's because she is a very talented young girl. I feel that she's the most talented on out of the bunch and without pressure and stress, Gracie will go far with her talent. During the dance contest Gracie forgot some of her routine, but she ran with what she had in her mind and it worked. You're not always going to remember your routine so you think quick and run with it.  Her mother KiKi encouraged her, she never yelled at her or swore at her. She did it all on her own and her mother gave her ideas on how to do it better and that's all.

There was one mother out there was way out of control. Her daughter might "think" she wants to be famous but that could be all pleasing what her mother wants and what her mother wants is what she wanted when she was younger, to be a celebrity. It's very obvious that the girl's mother is not realizing what she's doing and the child's mother is acting like a certifiable diva. 

Another parent was yelling at her poor daughter and her daughter was showing that she was getting very angry at her mother. Keep it up lady and your daughter will resent you for it. They'll be famous and they will distance themselves from you because they would feel that no matter how successful they be it will never be enough for you. Maybe that's not what you mean to do but you were without realizing it. So step back and just let them show what they are made of and you may be surprised to see what they can do without your constant negativity.

All the mother's thought it was a conspiracy, that Gracie and Kiki were getting special treatment for winning both contests. HELLO! You can't blame the girl for being talented and showing it. No child on the Dr. Phil show ever gets special treatment. She was the most talented one on both the contests so maybe before accusing the pair for special treatment, look into the mirror. Your constant pushing and yelling is causing your children to feel as though they need to be better than they actually are, to please you. Every mother wants to see their child succeed but don't push them to the limit or you will be sorry I guarantee you. If my child wanted to be a star and she was very talented then I would encourage her and support her into her career but that's it I would never say, "you're doing it wrong you're supposed to do this. Oh my god you're never gonna be famous if you do this and that." If my daughter was to do the best she can do then I would say, "you were fantastic I am so proud of you." Your children need to confidence to succeed in life. If they don't have the confidence then they will never show their true talent and love what they are doing. If they do great don't say, "that was good but let's try and do it better." That's just being too negative, so step back watch what they can do and compliment on their hard work.

May 19, 2007, 8:28 pm CDT

make my kid a star

I think the mothers want this more then the actual children do.Veronica is over the top the way is talks to her daughter and Dr. Phil was right about everything he said to her. I don't think Gracie should win everything because she is already performing and doing commercials so I think they should give the other kids more of a chance to win. I really like Kerigan I think he has real talent but his mother can't handle three kids who want to perform what if they all have to be in commercials in one day how is she going to do it. The mothers need to put their anger aside and just let their children have fun with this and not rely on them to support their families on that money. The kids should get to decide if they want to act or not. Not be forced to by their parents.

May 19, 2007, 8:33 pm CDT

Maria, Maria

I was shocked when I saw the "portfolio" Veronica proudly showed to Dr. Phil.  It made me question exactly what aspect of the entertainment industry she is "helping" her young daughter get into. I only hope Maria will not end up learning the hard way how important it is to maintain a certain level of modesty  and integrity in order to achieve long-term success in such a volatile, sometimes lucrative field.

May 19, 2007, 9:19 pm CDT

What is the point of this topic?????

I've been watching this talent competition, and frankly do not see the point of it on Dr. Phil.  It seems more appropriate for a ridiculous reality show.   When I saw the teaser for the show, I thought Dr. Phil would 'tell it like it is' to these parents.   Instead, he is rewarding them with attention, prizes, and chances to get their child 'discovered'   Yes, I did see the brief scenes where he points out that the moms are overbearing and ruining their kids chance, then in the next minute, they are set up with another audition.    I don't see how it could possible help the relationship between the children and their parents.   Let me know if it all comes together in the finale Monday.  I don't plan to waste an hour to watch it!!

May 19, 2007, 10:01 pm CDT

Interesting Show

I was only able to see Part I of these episodes,  At first I felt quite smug in that I was not like any of those mothers on the show, but then as I watched the entire show, I had a "light bulb" moment and it occured to me that indeed I used to display some of those exact tendency.  I may not aspire to have my child be a star, but I did some of the same things when it comes to my child's homework especially when it came to any type of school projects. I wanted him to do the best, which translated into him "....being the best."   I have perfectionistic tendencies and when I used to sit down to "help" my child, I wasn't helping him, I was trying to make him do things that wasn't who he was. 

Both my son and I have worked through the issues, and he now lets me know when he needs my help and what I can do.  I also know my triggers and I back off.  In fact, I can happily say my son has done all his own work this year in school and by no means were they the best in the class but they were really good. Most importantly,  he was so proud that he had done the projects and work all by himself.   

So before we judge these parents harshly and feel smug in our own parenting styles, do a self-inventory as well as take a look around.  How many time do we see parents like this in our schools and at sporting events.  You could put other parents in this house and call it "Make My Kid a Genius" or "Make My Kid a Super Athlete" etc.  The harm that can be done to the children would be very similar.

May 20, 2007, 1:22 am CDT

05/21 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

This is for Gracie's Dad:

I was shocked to hear that your family is separated in order to pursue the dream of an 11 (12?) year old.  What about your other children (child?) needing their Mother?  This is sick.  That other child is being deprieved of something that they can never get back--and what message is being sent to them?  They are not as important?  How can you sink that much of your finances into a pipe dream?  I live here in S. Calif. and it is sick how many people think that their kid will be a star.  It is so unlikely.....so unlikely.   And if they do succeed, what then?  Drugs, parties, alcohol, public fights with Mom and Dad.  What do you know about child stars?  Maybe you should read Drew Barrymore's biography.   Why would any parent wish this for their child?

Also, why is Gracie the breadwinner?  It was disgusting when she was high fiving her Mom because now Gracie could pay the rent.  Kids need to be kids--no worries.  I don't believe that there is a single child out there that wants to be a start without the parent's pushing.  Or if they do, they are watching way too much television etc. instead of playing outside.

Best to you and your family--you seem the healthiest out of the rest of the sick bunch, but really you should not be apart as a family.  You are robbing the necessary influence of two parents from all of your children.

May 20, 2007, 5:50 am CDT

the kids' talent

We've seen all the viewer comments about the kids' lack of talent -- we can't completely disagree with that view, considering how little viewers have been exposed to what all the kids can really do. Fact is, it's almost impossible to see the kids' talent, since the focus has been on the parents. We're still wondering, for example, why the Dr. Phil show hasn't shown a single excerpt of more than two seconds of Sasha, Dmitri, and Kyrian on their musical instruments or singing. And we figure the same must be true for Alaina, Meagan, Maria, and Gracie. If the point was to focus on all the kids' talent and help the kids with their performing careers, at least the audience should have been given a better taste of the talent that is there. So we don't blame those of you who think that the talent level isn't all that great. It's hard to tell with the limited amount you've seen on the show, which seems to have focussed on the mothers at the expense of the kids' talent.

May 20, 2007, 6:04 am CDT

three commercials in one day?

Quote From: shortass

I think the mothers want this more then the actual children do.Veronica is over the top the way is talks to her daughter and Dr. Phil was right about everything he said to her. I don't think Gracie should win everything because she is already performing and doing commercials so I think they should give the other kids more of a chance to win. I really like Kerigan I think he has real talent but his mother can't handle three kids who want to perform what if they all have to be in commercials in one day how is she going to do it. The mothers need to put their anger aside and just let their children have fun with this and not rely on them to support their families on that money. The kids should get to decide if they want to act or not. Not be forced to by their parents.
Thanks for your concern. If our guys book three commercials in one day, that's not a bad thing, is it? Even if it's only three auditions the same day.......we've already done it. All this stuff is in NYC, and it's not too hard to get around. You're absolutely right that the kids should decide if they want to act or not. Ours have made that decision. Kyrian, for example, gets enormously upset with us if he doesn't get sent on auditions. Basically, we just work for him. And yesterday, by the way, he played at Carnegie Hall for the fourth year in a row in an honors recital put on by his music school. We're not making this stuff up. We don't have to.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last