Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Number of Replies: 550
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/21/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition heats up! Seven kids with stars in their eyes face the final leg of the competition in The Dr. Phil House, but do their mothers unwittingly sabotage their chances? After speaking with Veronica, Kiki and Larissa about how they could be a liability to their child’s success, Dr. Phil turns to Kim and Susan. Playing a video clip of Kim’s daughter, Alaina, in an interview, Dr. Phil points out the pressure and stress that she feels and how it may affect her performance in school. Then, Dr. Phil shows a video of Susan assisting her daughter, Meagan, during the dance rehearsals. In the video, Meagan struggles under her demands. Will these mothers adjust their behavior and take on a healthy, supportive role in their child’s career? Then, it’s time for the final talent show! Each child performs on the Dr. Phil stage, in front of his studio audience and a panel of Hollywood’s top talent agents, managers and casting directors, who decide the grand-prize winner. The children receive fabulous prizes for their hard work, but they mean little to one upset mother. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 24, 2007, 10:36 am CDT

whats a mom

Quote From: horselightning

Reading the discription or was it the commercal for this episode there is to be a not so happy mom? Shall we guess which  one that will be? hmmmm...
a mother isnt someone who wants their child to live thir dreams out but someone who wants whats  best for their child, and that is living their lives for them and letting their child decide what they want for their own dreams, and helping them in everyway to get that.   i really think veronica is the one that wants her child to be a star, and her daughter is just trying to do what her mom wants her to do she is a cute girl and might be able to go far, but it has to be in her heart, not her moms or anyone else

August 24, 2007, 10:44 am CDT

It's not just you.

Quote From: cocomojo1

Is it just me, or did anyone else find it bizzare that one particular mother actually auditioned during the segment that was auditions for the tv comercial?  I mean, come on... I really thought the show was sub-titled "make my kid a star"  not  "let me try to steal the show, audition for a childs part in a commercial, and make a complete arse out of myself and embarrass my daughter as much as possible".  Well.  I know who I would choose as the winner of THAT audition, were it ever actually aired.  I am curious about Kerian, tho, mainly because I am  a huge fan of Circ.  How did that turn out?
I found it to be pathetic.

August 24, 2007, 11:40 am CDT

Enough with Gracie already...

Okay, I've just got to say something...  Gracie, yuh, nice kid, reasonably talented "in a school play kind of way" as another poster put it...  Kiki, not a complete monster, not cussing at her kid...  So that makes Gracie the greatest thing since sliced bread?  Boy, have we lowered our standards...

Granted, they're the best of the worst, but everything's relative...  Keep in mind that Kiki uprooted her daughter, deserted her son and husband, and put the family in debt to promote what is, after all, a very nice and polite but only moderately talented child.  As I pointed out (as a Kentuckian), opportunities for studying acting, dance, and voice are available in our larger cities, Lexington and Louisivlle; wouldn't a move there have been less disruptive and expensive?  But that would merely have honed her craft; not "made her a STAR."  All you Gracie/Kiki fans, please note this.

I also found it disturbing that the mom smiled while the kid cried; either she's extremely cold, or the kid was faking it and mom was proud of the performance.  Hmmm, maybe Gracie CAN act?

As for Gracie's dad (marketing the website; puh-leez), he notes in the post that you're praising that Warren is "his best friend"...  Evidently Gracie is Kiki's "best friend"...  Uh, maybe it's just me, but isn't your MATE supposed to be your "best friend"?  Isn't your child supposed to be your child and your parent your parent??  Way to model for these kids how to keep a marriage healthy, not.

Anyway, this is a pretty entertaining series, I must see...  Er, watching the moms...  Not the kids...

August 24, 2007, 11:40 am CDT

My story

Although not on this scale, and not in "Hollyweird," I've experience the stage-mom phenomenon myself except, in my case, it was stage-dad...  Almost from the time I could talk, I was begging for a piano; why?  No idea; we didn't own one and no one in our family played one; don't recall where I got the idea.  But I would run my fingers up and down any flat surface and beg for piano lessons; when we got a neighbor with one, I brazenly asked to "play" it and did so as often as I could.  Finally, at age 8, we were able to afford a piano and lessons.  I progressed quickly.  My teacher raved that I had real talent (back when not every adult raved about every breath every kid took); I won competitions and trophies (again, back when this was a rarity; only the winner got the prize -- not every player); I even appeared on TV in a nearby large city.  Later in life, when I took those vocational interest tests, "musician" was far and away at the top of the list.  So why am I not a musician today?  Why, indeed, do I never even touch my piano today??  Stage dad...  He loved music, played in a band, and always wanted to make it big; more than that, he loved having a talented child who was certainly bound for the conservatory about whom he could brag to his friends and relatives; finally, he was a perfectionist with a lot of drive (proven in his own pursuits) who expected and demanded the best.  As a result, he personally oversaw every practice session (although at first I was totally self-motivated); he sat in on every lesson (although my teacher discouraged the intrusion); he LITERALLY stood over me every evening, saying "do it again, do it again" until I did it perfectly.  Furthermore, he neglected my brother, who didn't share his interests, and even my mother.  Nightly practice sesisons became tearful and interminable; I got to the point where I just didn't care, or so I thought.  Until the day of the Big Competition came and I came in second (this was a first; I always excelled before); at that point, I realized that I, too, had become a perfectionist, and second-best might as well have been last.  To his credit, dad didn't blame me (he blamed the judge, haha), but I was absolutely inconsolable, quit lessons that day, and never went back to it.  The few times I've tried, although I love music and even love playing, it depresses me because of my past history, I'm disappointed in how rusty I've become, and I soon give it up.  I hope someday to overcome this and play again, but I feel without question that I was born to do this and therefore lost my mission in life. I should also add that, in addition to it becoming just plain unpleasant for me and too much pressure, I was VERY well aware, even at an early age, that my value was wrapped up in this talent and my performance.  I felt I was loved for what I could do (produce, bring home) rather than for who I was; I felt exploited and used.  Of course I know that my father loved me aside from this; he was NEVER insulting or denigrading (if anything, he believed I was better than I was and had only priase for me; no criticism), but I resented feeling that my worth was tied to a trophy; children do sense this.  I hope the pushy parents out there, arts or sports or academic, however well-intentioned (mine was), read this and take note.  If your kids have a passion, that will carry them.  Support them from afar and, above all, get lives and some hobbies of your own and concentrate on your marriages; hopefully you won't be following your kids around and dogging on them their entire lives, so you'll have a few years to fill after they've left you.

August 24, 2007, 11:53 am CDT

Blah blah blah

Quote From: graciesdad

Everyone's really excited for Monday's big finale!  We've all had a couple of days now to digest Parts 1 & 2 along with the all the emotions and thoughts we found ourselves processing individually and a family.  I can say to Dr. Phil's viewers without hesitation that this experience has been a very valuable learning exercise for Gracie and for our family.  In our conversations, Gracie, Kiki, Steve, Warren, Nicole and I all agree that the show brought out some very important issues for us to address as a family if we truly want to be the kind of loving and supportive family that we want to be.

First, we've heard right from Gracie's own words and emotions that she's feeling much more pressure to "make it" than we were previously aware.  Sure, we certainly know that Gracie has a natural tendency to take things a little harder and more seriously than other 11 year old kids, but, we had never been confronted with the harsher reality of the self-pressure that she's experiencing now that she's really out there giving her dream her best shot.  There's no doubt that we (Kiki, Steve, Nicole and I) owe it to Grace to do a much better job of reinforcing to her that her value as a human being and as our child has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that she's our child and that our love and support will always be absolutely unconditional.  We also are going to do a much better job emphasizing to her that the real value of any heartfelt pursuit is always in the journey itself rather than the destination.  Trust us, we are just as imperfect as any parent out there watching this special or reading these message boards and we are doing our best to absorb the lessons that Dr. Phil's opporunity has for us and then to apply them in a way that not only helps Gracie be a happier and healthier kid, but, that helps us each be a better parent and a better person.

One interesting by-product of this experience is that I've been able to have great conversations with Warren about the clear risks of seeking fame for fame's sake versus seeking a deep satisfaction from the the craft of being the best actor or actress (or engineer, or attorney, or physician, or fireperson, or financial advisor, or parent et al) that you can become.  Kiki and Grace are having similar conversations.  We are going to put a lot of effort over the summer when they will both be spending time together here in Kentucky into gaining a perspective on how to have unlimited dreams and ambitions while maintaining a healthy life perspecitve.

Overall, this has been a wonderful, timely and valuable experience for Gracie and for our family!  We'll be watching Monday's show with great expectation and a fixed determination to not let the lessons of this experience go unlearned or unapplied.  The truth is that each of the kids on this show have lots of talent and given the right set of circumstances and a bit of luck, they will each achieve great things in life.  Of course, isn't it that way for most of us in life?

So, we'll all be watching with great interest to see how these great kids perform their own chosen material in front of a live studio audience as well as a panel of industry experts.  To this point, remember that the kids have had to perform material that didn't always play to their individual strengths.  If you think you know how this whole thing winds up, you might be very surprised!  Producers don't like to give away their big endings and great plot twists are par for the course with these type of shows. 

Gracie's already had more success during Part 1 & 2 than we could have ever expected.  After Part 3 has aired, I'll post my final thoughts about the outcome and a final thanks to Dr. Phil for the opportunity along with our congratulations to the overall winner!

Stay tuned, Part 3's going to be a lot of fun....

Gracie's Dad (and Warren's Too!)

Gosh, Gracie's dad, I feel like we're following your personal blog (I know I write long posts, but jeez); do you have a JOB, or are is your profession "managing" your daughter???  Sorry, I hear all your rationalizations and justifications, but I can't help but think you and Kiki might still be married and your family intact (I know about the extended family - living in Kentucky, I for sure know about the extended family - but that doesn't replace a mother) had you not both made Gracie (instead of each other or your marriage) and her "career" the center of your world and lives and the object of your love and obsession.  Too bad the pushy parents have taken over this message board, but it comes as no surprise.  Parents today lack ego/boundaries; I/you/we...

August 24, 2007, 12:09 pm CDT

08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

i tried to post this already the other day, but i just wanted to say that watching this series once was MORE  than enough for me!  it just made me cringe!  those moms were so unbelievable to me, even the kids seemed a little out of whack.  a few of the kids had a good measure of talent, a few of the others just had delusional parents wanting to live vicariously through their kids.  i have 4 kids and i can't imagine going down this road with them!  anyway, i hope everyone else is enjoying the show,  i personally am waiting for new episodes!

August 24, 2007, 12:27 pm CDT

what's a mom

Quote From: rondacarter

a mother isnt someone who wants their child to live thir dreams out but someone who wants whats  best for their child, and that is living their lives for them and letting their child decide what they want for their own dreams, and helping them in everyway to get that.   i really think veronica is the one that wants her child to be a star, and her daughter is just trying to do what her mom wants her to do she is a cute girl and might be able to go far, but it has to be in her heart, not her moms or anyone else

I think all the moms should be real moms, moms are people who have their children's best welfare and interest at heart. moms should be nurturing and strong, teaching them about the real world instead of a fanstay world in hollywood, and that is through trying to get them the best education possible  Money and fame is nice, but it seems to be a real pit hole for most child actors,,,,,,,,,Lindsey Lohan?  MMM...........

August 24, 2007, 12:27 pm CDT

what's a mom

Quote From: rondacarter

I think all the moms should be real moms, moms are people who have their children's best welfare and interest at heart. moms should be nurturing and strong, teaching them about the real world instead of a fanstay world in hollywood, and that is through trying to get them the best education possible  Money and fame is nice, but it seems to be a real pit hole for most child actors,,,,,,,,,Lindsey Lohan?  MMM...........

August 24, 2007, 12:44 pm CDT

how sad..................

I think that it is so sad to see moms act in this manner.  moms should nurture and prepare their children for the real world and not for a fantasy world in hollywood.  given past history with child actors. fame would be my last focus for my child.   a good education is the only route to go.  If these moms would devote this kind of time and energy in getting the best education for their children what wonderful products they would turn out. 

August 24, 2007, 12:49 pm CDT

PARENTS SO PATHETIC

Parents who want their kids to be a star is just wrong on so many levels.  The pressure on the youth of today is far greater than it ever was and parents who tell their children that being successful and rich is the only way to live AND pushing them into it regardless of whether they are truly talented, IS WRONG.  These parents are raising spoiled, narcissistic and delusional children.  Do everyone a favour by keeping them in school and impress on your children the importance of being educated....knowledge is power.  There are 5 assets a star must have; personality, charisma, talent, looks and confidence.  It is very rare that one has all of these but if they do, then and only then will they be successful in their quest to be famous.  If they are missing but one of these assets then their staying power is 1 to 4 years - max.  Truly talented and successful children (or adults for that matter) will be discovered if that is their fate.  These parents are doing everything wrong and you are ruining your childrens lives.........how selfish of you.

First | Prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | Next | Last