Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Number of Replies: 550
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/21/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition heats up! Seven kids with stars in their eyes face the final leg of the competition in The Dr. Phil House, but do their mothers unwittingly sabotage their chances? After speaking with Veronica, Kiki and Larissa about how they could be a liability to their child’s success, Dr. Phil turns to Kim and Susan. Playing a video clip of Kim’s daughter, Alaina, in an interview, Dr. Phil points out the pressure and stress that she feels and how it may affect her performance in school. Then, Dr. Phil shows a video of Susan assisting her daughter, Meagan, during the dance rehearsals. In the video, Meagan struggles under her demands. Will these mothers adjust their behavior and take on a healthy, supportive role in their child’s career? Then, it’s time for the final talent show! Each child performs on the Dr. Phil stage, in front of his studio audience and a panel of Hollywood’s top talent agents, managers and casting directors, who decide the grand-prize winner. The children receive fabulous prizes for their hard work, but they mean little to one upset mother. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 24, 2007, 1:01 pm CDT

Maria and Veronica

That mother needs to get a life of her own! That girl sang "America the Beautiful" in at least 3 different keys. She has ZIPPO vocal talent.Every one else got jobs but her. Probably because no one wants to deal with the mother!!

August 24, 2007, 1:02 pm CDT

WOW!

I do think that some of the children were talented, but just need to "practice." I really feel sorry for Maria. If I were a talent scout, I would lean against hiring her because of having to deal with her mother, what a witch....It's a shame because the little girl can sing and her mother potentially can be holding her back.

August 24, 2007, 1:31 pm CDT

Maria & Veronica

I was thinking about Maria and Veronica too and how she wouldn't say HOW Maria was doing....I am sure because she was embarrassed that she didn't have any jobs. So sad....

August 24, 2007, 1:47 pm CDT

Veronica needs professional help.

I hope that Veronica was offered therapy. She is abusive to her daughter, Maria. If she behaves like that on camera I don't want to think of what goes on at home. Please provide some intervention before it is too late!

August 24, 2007, 1:51 pm CDT

08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Quote From: lind24

very good point!

I believe child protective services should be contacted on some of these mothers

(especially Veronica)

August 24, 2007, 2:01 pm CDT

I was a child performer from age 3 to age 17. I did Broadway and television all through my childhood. I then was a casting director in New York for more than twenty years. I was coaxed into watching the shows and I would like to make the following comments:

I was amazed that any of the mothers actually felt entitled to interrupt a professional choreographer trying to teach a dance routine. They did not seem to understand that this is the best way to ensure that their child will not pass an audition. From watching them coach their children it is clear that none of them have the talent or experience to give advice on acting. A child actor is just that, an actor. The talent comes from within them, not from their mother's coaching. The children who get jobs have mothers who go out for coffee with other "regular moms" not "stage moms" and let their children handle the work they are being paid to do. The kids get jobs on their own merit if they are truly professionals.

As far as the children were concerned, I would like to start with the girls.

I get Alaina as a sad, exhausted, over stressed little girl who is trying  very hard to satisfy her mother. Her commercial audition showed no sparkle and no sense of timing. It was forced and not natural. Her singing was mostly off key in every song she sang, starting with Amazing Grace. Perhaps her mother has no ear for music and cannot hear the flat and sharp notes she is singing. I personally think she needs to take some time off from show business so the can relax and get over the trauma she suffered in the motorcycle accident. Although her mother says she is strong and driven, I believe Kim is describing herself, not her child.

Gracie has sparkle and drive. I truly think she wants to do this and is leading her mother, not the other way around. She has acting talent and is adorable on stage. I believe she will get work. I would have chosen Gracie as the overall winner and my agency definitely would have signed her up.

Maria and Veronica both need to get diction lessons to clear up their regional accents especially with their Ts and Ds. Maria says "tuhday" and beautsiful, and Veronica said, "Yuh dohn godda do that to my face." This type of diction will never get either of them a commercial. Maria's acting is forced and over coached. Her singing is nasal, she forces her voice and she has no sense of phrasing or timing. She also needs to watch her pitch. There is no feeling coming across in either her acting or her singing. She is beautiful and perhaps can model. She will not pass an audition where they are looking for a 13 year old girl because she is too mature looking . No matter how talented she may get to be, she will never never get a job if her mother continues behaving the way she did on the show.

Meghan is a very angry  and stressed child. This is manifested in her acting. She however is only 10 years old and if she has professional vocal lessons, and ballet lessons and dramatic lessons this may bring out her  talent. Her bit with the child actor was very aggressive and terribly angry.

The three boys were quite talented. All three have acting talent, but I get Dmitri as a musician. Kyrian is not a singer but his overall bounce and sparkle and cuteness make up for it. I am glad to see he is getting work. I definitely would have signed him up, along with his brothers. I don't know how really motivated the other two boys are or if they are just going along with it.

Now for the mothers:

Kim may believe she knows what is best for Alaina's career, but I do not think she has a clue. She speaks in the first person and it seems to be all about her. As I said before, the child is sad and seems very burned out.

Kiki is doing just fine. One of the reasons Gracie will get work is because her mother is not a detriment to her career.

Larissa I believe is intelligent enough to mind her own business and stay out of it once her kids get jobs. They are also very well adjusted boys, and the family is loving and good humored.  I just think she should look at whose motivation it is for the older boys.

Susan does not have a clue about acting. She has no acting talent herself and the coaching she was forcing on Meghan was abysmal. Let her find her own way. If she is an actress it will come out in time.

Veronica is inappropriate in a professional capacity. She comes off as controlling and entitled. Maria is beautiful but is in no way ready to be a star. If Maria really wants to do this she needs professional training. Her mother is not qualified to give it.

My advice to the mothers is to not mention auditions or acting for a few weeks. Take a hiatus from show business and see if your child brings up the subject of going on an audition or is practicing by her/himself because he or she wants to and not because they have been told to. Also notice if your child seems more relaxed, happy and is doing better in school because they do not have to concentrate on pleasing agents.

Please make your relationship with your children more important than the work they may or may not choose to do in the future.  Best of luck to you all.

August 24, 2007, 2:04 pm CDT

something wrong with your tv?

Quote From: starsnyou

I think the boys are the most talented. They were really good. The girl that sang America was my second choice. She has a powerful and wonderful sounding voice.
You MUST need a hearing aid!!

August 24, 2007, 2:07 pm CDT

Maria

First of all, each child was talented, but I'm glad that Gracie won.  I was also delighted to hear the children gained recognition, had offers, and in general went on to do well for themselves after the show. 

I am not surprised that Maria's mother chose not to make a comment about her progress.  I'm  pretty sure that there hasn't been any!  If I was a talent scout I wouldn't touch Maria with a ten foot pole.  Sadly, not because of Maria's doing, but her mother IS "the plague". Veronica seemed to miss the boat altogether.  Yes, Maria is beautiful and talented, but her little light can't shine bright enough to get out of her mother's shadow. 

Just speaking the truth, but I wish EVERYONE well.

August 24, 2007, 2:09 pm CDT

ALL THE KIDS.

OK, SO IM SO EXCITED THAT GRACIE WON. THAT LITTLE GIRL IS SO CUTE AND TALENTED. SHE REALLY TRULY DESERVED IT, SHE DRAWS YOU IN WHEN SHE IS ON STAGE OR ANYTHING. SHE SEEMS SHE CAN DANCE, SING, ACT. SHES REALLY A GREAT KID. I DO NOT FEEL THAT GRACIE'S MOM PUSHES HER THAT MUCH AND THAT MAY HELP HER AND BE WHY SHE IS SO ACCOMPLISHED. SHE TRULY DESERVED IT!! GOOD LUCK TO GRACIE && KIKI.

VERONICA AND MARIA.

WOW, VERONICA IS IGNORANT. HER DAUGHTER LOOKS LIKE SHE IS TRYING TO BE 18, WHICH SHE ISNT. AND HAS ABSOLUTELY NO TALENT, SHE CANNOT SING A LICK AND SHE IS NOT EVEN THAT CUTE. THERE IS NOTHING APPEALING ABOUT HER AND THE FACT THAT SHE HAS A WITCH OF A MOTHER, GEEZ. THAT WOMAN SHOULD GO AWAY. AND THE FACT THAT DR PHIL GIVES THEM THE OPPORTUNITY AND SHE THROWS IT IN HIS FACE ON HOW SHE DOESNT WANT THAT XBOX 360 AND THIS AND THAT, BUT LET ME GUESS... SHE TOOK IT RIGHT?! YEAH EXACTLY! THEY SHOULD GIVE UP! :( SORRY.

MEGAN.

WOW, SHE IS SOOO DARLING. SHE SINGS AMAZING!!! SHE SHOULD REALLY GET INTO SOME MUSICALS OR SOMETHING, SHES SOOO CHEERY! SHE HAS THAT ENERGY JUST LIKE GRACIE. CONGRATS TO HER FOR MAKING CHEERLEADER AND THE CHILDRENS MUSICAL IN HER TOWN. SHE SHOULD KEEP TRYING TO PURSUE HER SINGING.

ALANA.

WELL SHE WAS CUTE AND SWEET, BUT I DIDNT FEEL SHE HAD ANY ACTING SKILLS. SHE DEFINITELY COULD NOT SING, BUT HER MOM AND HER WERE REALLY SWEET AND THAT SUCKS ABOUT THE MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT. MAYBE WITH SOME PRACTICE SHE COULD ACHIEVE.

THE BOYS..

WOW, THEY ARE SOOO CUTE. I THINK THEY COULD HAVE A SHOW TOGETHER, I DEFINITELY WOULD WATCH THAT. KYRIAN IS A DOLL. THERE MOM PUSHES THEM, BUT I THINK SHE KNOWS THEY HAVE TALENT AND WANT TO PURSUE IT.

I THINK THAT THE MOMS SHOULD PUSH IF THE KIDS WANT THAT, BUT IF YOU CAN TELL THE KIDS REALLY DO NOT WANT THIS SUCH AS MARIA AND ALANA. I THINK THEIR MOMS SHOULD JUST BACK OFF..

I ENJOYED THE SHOW, I ENJOY SHOWS WITH CHILDREN. IM 22 AND IN THAT IN BETWEEN AGE, I LIKE THE VARIETY OF SHOWS :)

WELL GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE KIDS, THEY WERE ADORABLE.

CONGRATS ON ALL THE AUDITIONS AND JOBS THEY RECEIVED!!

August 24, 2007, 2:14 pm CDT

Quote From: philfanny8

The part I am interested in seeing is, after the panel of judges pick a grand prize winner (singular)  How will the mothers talk to their kids about the "loss"?   Everyone can't win, but that doesn't mean every one of them isn't very very talented.   There can be a job for any of them, that will be perfect for their type....so, hopefully they will all feel good about their abilities. I am sure Dr. Phil will tell them, even if their mothers don't!

..yes I watched that today, as the infamous Veronica is it, says I didnt come here for an x-box

does this woman understand SHE is the deterant to her daughters career? I did modeling for many years as well as local runway shows, many where I worked with children, I tell ya , I would NOT choose her daughter because of the poor attitude her mom has. We HAVE to work with parents where minors are concerned, And she is a headache waitin to happen.We all learn this at a young age, a positive attiude goes further. What is this womans problem,

Honey, didnt ya ever hear the old saying "Ya get more flies with honey than vinigar?

You are like Vinegar.. makes thre face twist up..May your daughter not learn her PR fropm you.

First | Prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | Next | Last