Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Number of Replies: 550
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/21/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition heats up! Seven kids with stars in their eyes face the final leg of the competition in The Dr. Phil House, but do their mothers unwittingly sabotage their chances? After speaking with Veronica, Kiki and Larissa about how they could be a liability to their child’s success, Dr. Phil turns to Kim and Susan. Playing a video clip of Kim’s daughter, Alaina, in an interview, Dr. Phil points out the pressure and stress that she feels and how it may affect her performance in school. Then, Dr. Phil shows a video of Susan assisting her daughter, Meagan, during the dance rehearsals. In the video, Meagan struggles under her demands. Will these mothers adjust their behavior and take on a healthy, supportive role in their child’s career? Then, it’s time for the final talent show! Each child performs on the Dr. Phil stage, in front of his studio audience and a panel of Hollywood’s top talent agents, managers and casting directors, who decide the grand-prize winner. The children receive fabulous prizes for their hard work, but they mean little to one upset mother. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 24, 2007, 4:54 pm CDT

Veroncia Knows?

'I didnt come half way across the country for an X-Box 360." Rather unfortunate this child will  lose out on opportunities over peoples reluctance to deal with Mom. Any bets on which one will grow up quicker?

August 24, 2007, 5:10 pm CDT

Maria's Mother

I think Maria's mother is going to be the fault of Maria not acomplishing what she really wants. She can't see it. She is so blind. You need to put your girl in singing lessons so she can sharpen her singing talent. Keep her looking like a young teenager that she is. Learn from the professionals. You have to humble yourself honey. You as the mother need to grow up and realize its not about you......Its about your daughter.

August 24, 2007, 5:15 pm CDT

I agree 100%

Quote From: johhnygallich

I hope your Daughter is reading this for I am more concerned about her than you. I think you know that you made a complete fool of yourself and that you embarrased yourself in a big way. In such a way that you are now "That weird lady" in your home town, that person that after walking into a store, all the other people that saw the show start whispering, etc. I also can't imagine how difficult it is going to be for your Daughter to just be herself after your embarrassed your family so much. You are a terrible excuse for a Mother, and your anger and body language was almost to difficult to watch. It was like a car wreck you saw happening right in front of you. You walked into every trap Dr. Phil set for you, and you topped it off by not offering your comments like all the other parents (so how many shows is your Daughter on, for I know you didn't go all the way to LA for a Playbox 360). I think to your amazement, your Daughter is probably horrifed this thing ever aired, for there is not one person in the industry that would  touch her because of you (which is really a shame for her for she seems to be a great kid). You are the liability, and a major negative one at that. I hope your Daughter has a solid group of friends that she can be around that know her issues come directly from you. I hope she finds another area of interest and is very happy and successful (i.e. sports). I know I echo the millons that watched your crash (yours and not your Daughters.... and you better realize this ASAP) when you walked into your home to see the looks of the people that were there to greet you. I can't imagine how embarrassed and humilated you feel, but I hope it wakes you up to see how everyone outside of your mirror now looks at you (for unfortunately, you showed your real colors for America, your family, your community, etc. over the past two days). I give your Daugther a ton of credit to live in your household, and I hope she becomes very successful in what SHE WANTS TO DO. I give her a lot of credit, for she basically told America what she has to put up with by having you hound her, and just minutes later in the shows it became very obvious she was right. I really think you need some professional help, for I don't think you realize the damage you caused yourself (and related). It really is time to get yourself some help, for you have only a few more years with your Daugther living under your roof. I just hope it's not too late for you to correct the emotional damage you caused her!

I agree 100% Amen to that.

August 24, 2007, 5:33 pm CDT

Veronica Who???And daughter???

I watched the 3rd show today and felt so sad for Veronica's daughter.  Veronica  still does not understand that she is the problem. And even tho she told Dr.Phil yesterday that she got it, today she did not show it.. Her daughter has talent but she is going to kill her chances of making it. No one is going to want to put up with a person like that. She needs counseling for sure.. Her daughter is very pretty but made up the way mom is doing it does not do her justice. She needs to look like a 13 year old not a 25 year old. Or whats worse a woman of the street. I thought the boys were very good. The little one is just so cute, he will make it and may go far... Gracie was just wonderful in her performance..She does have talent.. They all need singing lessons if there going to go for a singing career. But I thought they were all good for what they are right now.
Dr. Phil I think you offered some wonderful advice and hope that other moms out there in the world of acting saw your show and took heed to what you said.. I was happy to hear at the end that most of them had at least made a start.  I would lay odds that Veronica did not give an update cause no one has touched that terror.. So sad for the child.

August 24, 2007, 5:35 pm CDT

Mom's get a job!

When my daughter was three we put her in a very reputabledancestudio that came highly recomended to us. My daughter enjoyed dance andshe had danced with the same company for years. I found somethings to be very disturbing and tried to persuade her to change studios.
I witnessed other mom's not letting their children eatbefore the competition to not have "poochy guts". I watched other parents get very uptight with their children, I did not feel it was ahealthy environment for my daughter.I kept asking other parents "aren't we doing this for our children and for their self esteems?" I kept wondering why teachers would get away with making kids feel horrrible about themselves and making them turn in food logs. The teachers were not licensed nutritionists or psychologists. I did not agree and refused to let my daughter participate in the food logs. I was concerned that it could later turn in to an eating disorder.
I started to have a bad reputation with other parents, because I did not want my daughter to stress out. I would tell her to take a deep breath and have fun before she went on stage. Other parents would lecture or even yell. Over the summer I convinced my daughter to try other places if she wanted tocontinueto dance. She tried a dance studio that was closer to home.The teachers at the new dance studio actually have more experienceasprofessional dancers than they had at the other studio. My daughter loves it and I am relieved that she is not in such a negative environment.
I work full time and do not have time to deal with all of the games and bullying that went on at the other studio. I want my daughter to dance only if she enjoys it. I think some mom's need to get off of their butt's and get a job or volunteer. They need to find something to fulfillthemselves rather than trying to live through their children. I saw it in many of the mom's where my daughter used to dance. I don't think itis healthy for the children to have all of that pressure.

August 24, 2007, 6:08 pm CDT

Talented Kids

Congratulations, Gracie!!  To your parents and all of the parents....if any, or all, of these children "make it big"...please remember to give them good moral guidance.  We've about had our fill of the Lindsays and Brittanys of this world.  I have a picture that says "No matter how difficult it all may seem, never underestimate the power of a dream"!!!

August 25, 2007, 2:24 am CDT

Loved this show!

I too have a really talented child she is an amazing young gymnast and ballet dancer.  The stress with having a talented child is amazing.  It is a blessing to have such a talented child and at other times it is very stressful.  The financial stress, stress on time, stress with coaches and teachers, and the stress of dealing with crazy moms who are so competitive is probably what drives me most nuts.  I can't believe how awful some of these moms are.  When my daughter started having a lot of success some of the moms just became so awful.  I thought one was a best friend and she turned out to be the worst.  I tried to make good friends with these moms, since we spend a lot of time together, but I always seemed to get burned by them.  It has been heartbreaking, and times I cry because I can't stand it.  It at times affects my child as much as I try not to let her know what goes on with the moms, but she can sense it and can sometimes hear the stories.  She is amazing however.  I always ask her if she wants to stay in gym and ballet and give her every opportunity to quit if she wants.  She knows that I support her 100%.  I do make sure that her decisions are what she truly feels.

I am so glad you aired this show, as much as I try to stay very grounded and try to keep everything in perspective, sometimes I too get caught up in it all and need to remember what is important.  As the best coaches I have met have said, it is about the journey.  I also really, really try to enjoy every single minute of my children and all that they do.  You never know when they want to quit, or get hurt or something else happens.  I see too many moms caught up in the scores and how to get them to be so much better and what they are doing or not doing.  I really try to enjoy every practice. every meet, game, or performance with all my children.  I love them so very much and each are very special in their own way.  Some talents are more apparent than others, and they each bring joy in my life.

Thanks Dr. Phil for helping us keep things in perspective.  I wish all those children much happiness, joy and luck.  They all deserve the best.  And may their mothers calm the heck down!

From,

A so loved mother and mother of loving kids

August 25, 2007, 5:21 am CDT

Add to

I just posted. i also want to add that I was appalled at some of these Mothers (like the one at whom Dr Phil got so annoyed) who were coaching these kids themselves in something that they for the most parrt had no training in  at all, or little themselves. If you want to succeed at this type of thing, you better get your kid or yourself the best acting, dance, or vocal teacher you can find and work your butt off at it. If you dont, sooner or later a professional will see how little professional skills you really have.

August 25, 2007, 9:49 am CDT

To Parents

Yes get your self angent and lawyer. Their will be people that take your  own child becoming a star.  I used to be child star. I was taken out by other parents that wanted their child to be a star . these people are still follawing me round scenes I was 5 years old.  ONE THING IS DO NOT

TAKE THE FUN OUT FOR YOUR CHILD AND LET YOUR CHILD HAVE FUN  IT BEST THAT your child learn the business and used your own name yes or make up name  than go from their

yes if the childen wants to star help much you can do not pay anyone why because they can loose the part of applying for.   Than Out of the money  . I been this business scenes I was 5

still no brake it could be years that  your child to be a star  .  Get your self agent  it make a differents . "watch out of the 15 min's of fame"

August 25, 2007, 11:23 am CDT

Gracie

I was so happy to see that Gracie won. She was my pick from the start. Definitely talented. I also liked Kerian but the rest of the group was like looking at the kids in the schools where I live. To say they have real talent is cruel to these kids. You are giving them false hope. I would want to know up front so I could move on. It sounds like some of the mothers want it more than the kids. I wish Gracie all the best.

First | Prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | Next | Last