Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Number of Replies: 550
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/21/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition heats up! Seven kids with stars in their eyes face the final leg of the competition in The Dr. Phil House, but do their mothers unwittingly sabotage their chances? After speaking with Veronica, Kiki and Larissa about how they could be a liability to their child’s success, Dr. Phil turns to Kim and Susan. Playing a video clip of Kim’s daughter, Alaina, in an interview, Dr. Phil points out the pressure and stress that she feels and how it may affect her performance in school. Then, Dr. Phil shows a video of Susan assisting her daughter, Meagan, during the dance rehearsals. In the video, Meagan struggles under her demands. Will these mothers adjust their behavior and take on a healthy, supportive role in their child’s career? Then, it’s time for the final talent show! Each child performs on the Dr. Phil stage, in front of his studio audience and a panel of Hollywood’s top talent agents, managers and casting directors, who decide the grand-prize winner. The children receive fabulous prizes for their hard work, but they mean little to one upset mother. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 21, 2007, 8:39 am CDT

Gracie You Deserve IT!

Congratulations Gracie! Your hard work and your effort has paid off. Much luck and success in the future. With a mother like Kiki how can you go wrong. She's seems to be an awesome mom. Wish you the best!

May 21, 2007, 8:45 am CDT

another Lawrence brothers

Quote From: cmdirks

Aside from the parent's being too pushy, aside from the psychological aspect of these shows...Am I the only one who can picture those boys starring in their own show?  I could just see them on Nickelodeon or something.  Naked Brother's Band, Drake & Josh, Suite Life of Zach and Cody....Ok, so I know these shows because of the kid's in my own life....the point is, those shows are HUGE right now and those boys would be too freaking perfect for one of their own. 

I agree, these boys are another Lawrence Brother's act waiting to happen. You know, Joey, Matthew and Andy Lawrence from the show "Brotherly Love".  These guys reminded me a lot of them and should be able to be just as successful. I also realy liked their Mom. She pushes them, but she at least has the decency to laugh at herself. If my kids wrote a song about me called "24/7 B---ch", I would probably  turn that into "it's all about me". She managed to smile, and say "yes, I do push them, I believe in them" and it does seem that the boys are just having some fun with it. I get the sense that if they didn't like it, all they would have to do is say "Mom, I would rather do something else". She might be disappointed, but only because she truly believes that they are good at this.

May 21, 2007, 8:47 am CDT

Finally, someone got it right!

Quote From: blraven

It will be interesting to see who wins, however.....none of these children are that talented. At best, they are a bit above average.The mothers are pushy, and rude to their own children. The kids might learn something about respect if they were shown some, but their own mothers don't respect them. I believe the mothers are pushing them in this direction simply because they could not achieve it for themselves. It might be more interesing to hear what the fathers, and other family members think of tis whole affair.

All I kept thinking though parts 1-3 was "where is the talent in these kids??" They all seemed like regular kids and some are sweet but unusual talent?? It just isn't happening!Someday when they're a little older and look back at the tapes of their performances, they're going to cringe. And the moms are just plane obnoxious (Veronica.....get a clue AND a life and get off this poor child's back!) They (all the moms) should be ashamed of themselves. I feel horrible for these kids who are being pushed way beyond their limits!

May 21, 2007, 9:14 am CDT

CONGRATS GRACIE AND OTHERS!

Gracie, you have mondo talent and you and your mother have such wonderful grace, no pun intended.  I am very happy for you.  Good luck and keep up the good work.  You are going to go far; just keep yourself grounded.  Way to go on the win!

The three boys stand to make it big as a group.  Mom, just back off a little and let them do their thing.  And give them a childhood, for heaven's sake!  It's not a blemish on you if they can't play twenty instruments by the time they're ten!

Susan, you've got yourself a real cutie there!  She's going to be a success, no matter what she does.  If she never appeared in a movie or produced a CD, she's still a star!  And what a voice!  Impressive!

Veronica, you've got to decide.  It's either you or Maria.  If you try to milk fame for yourself from your daughter, she'll never get hired.  You can do it separate but not together.  Market yourselves as two different people, not as a "hire the child, get the mother" kind of thing.  And market Maria as A KID!  She'll do fine without the provocative pics!  Maria will market better as the cute girl she is!

Oh Alaina, Alaina!  You nearly broke my heart when you cried at the end!  Gracie winning does not mean you don't stand a chance!  Agents are always on the lookout for DIFFERENT looks, different styles!  Practice your singing and realize that one of these days YOUR picture just might match the main actors they have cast or your smile will sell that product they want to sell!  Don't give up!

Anyway, that's what I got to say on the matter.

May 21, 2007, 9:37 am CDT

Real Time update?

Now can we hear from the families a real time update on the kids since the show was taped?

Congrats to all of you!  You all shone so bright!

P.S. Veronica, if you don't want the Xbox, you can drop it off at your local Marine recruiting office for toys for tots, or maybe send it to Greensburg Kansas for some child who has lost everything.

May 21, 2007, 10:14 am CDT

Great Job!!

We didn't really get to see alot of the kids in the other episodes But they all did great today!

Congradulations Gracie you're going to go far! Learn all you can, try every thing you can, be safe be smart and never loose the class and grace you have now.

Boy's~ I'll be watching for that show you'r going to have!!!

You all did so great you should all be proud!

~Nixi

May 21, 2007, 10:46 am CDT

My First Impression Was Correct

We didn't come all the way across the country to win a fricking XBox ... verbatim from Veronica's big mouth.

This woman (notice I don't use the word lady) doesn't have a clue nor does she have any common sense.  Rather than saying thank you for the opportunity you've given Maria, she once again opens her mouth and makes an ass out of not only herself but, her daughter as well. Very very sad.  Veronica seems to think she can bully her way into Hollywood, however, what she's doing is ruining her daughters chances. Not only did the agents that Dr. Phil provided see and hear her act like a total nutcase but, now that the show has aired, all agents and talent scouts have taken notice as well.  With the way news travels at lightening speed throughout Hollywood it's almost a given that Veronica has caused all of the doors to be shut and locked for Maria.

I can also say I wasn't shocked that Veronica wouldn't speak to Dr, Phil and give him an update about Maria ... once again Veronica shows that she has absolutely NO class.  FYI Veronica, you only get ONE CHANCE at making an first impression. That's why neither you or your daughter will ever become a known name in Hollywood.  You Blew it!!

May 21, 2007, 10:51 am CDT

Gracie deserved to win

I think a lot of the parents got a wake up call about how they are pushing their children way to hard. I do think Gracie should have won. She was great, she made what she was saying so believable. I think that the rest of the children were good also, I really liked the three boys.  I think that all of the children could have a future in Hollywood, but they have to practice and get a professional coach.  That way their moms will be able to parent and be there when they don't get something.

May 21, 2007, 10:56 am CDT

I agree

Quote From: wwoodian

This is for Gracie's Dad:

I was shocked to hear that your family is separated in order to pursue the dream of an 11 (12?) year old.  What about your other children (child?) needing their Mother?  This is sick.  That other child is being deprieved of something that they can never get back--and what message is being sent to them?  They are not as important?  How can you sink that much of your finances into a pipe dream?  I live here in S. Calif. and it is sick how many people think that their kid will be a star.  It is so unlikely.....so unlikely.   And if they do succeed, what then?  Drugs, parties, alcohol, public fights with Mom and Dad.  What do you know about child stars?  Maybe you should read Drew Barrymore's biography.   Why would any parent wish this for their child?

Also, why is Gracie the breadwinner?  It was disgusting when she was high fiving her Mom because now Gracie could pay the rent.  Kids need to be kids--no worries.  I don't believe that there is a single child out there that wants to be a start without the parent's pushing.  Or if they do, they are watching way too much television etc. instead of playing outside.

Best to you and your family--you seem the healthiest out of the rest of the sick bunch, but really you should not be apart as a family.  You are robbing the necessary influence of two parents from all of your children.

I so agree with you.    I to thought that was odd that her mother said if she got the part then they could pay the rent.  That's a  lot of pressure for a child.  Are they wishing stardom on the child so they don't have to work?  Seems like the idea of 'family' is not as important as Gracie 'paying the rent'.  How sad, how very, very sad.

May 21, 2007, 10:58 am CDT

05/21 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

well i glad all the kids are doing so well but its say that veronica wont say anything about how maria is doing i wonder if they wont see maria because of veronica's attitude and she has a really bad one she needs 1 on 1 with dr phil at the dr phil house someone needs to get therapy here

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last