Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Number of Replies: 550
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/21/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition heats up! Seven kids with stars in their eyes face the final leg of the competition in The Dr. Phil House, but do their mothers unwittingly sabotage their chances? After speaking with Veronica, Kiki and Larissa about how they could be a liability to their child’s success, Dr. Phil turns to Kim and Susan. Playing a video clip of Kim’s daughter, Alaina, in an interview, Dr. Phil points out the pressure and stress that she feels and how it may affect her performance in school. Then, Dr. Phil shows a video of Susan assisting her daughter, Meagan, during the dance rehearsals. In the video, Meagan struggles under her demands. Will these mothers adjust their behavior and take on a healthy, supportive role in their child’s career? Then, it’s time for the final talent show! Each child performs on the Dr. Phil stage, in front of his studio audience and a panel of Hollywood’s top talent agents, managers and casting directors, who decide the grand-prize winner. The children receive fabulous prizes for their hard work, but they mean little to one upset mother. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 19, 2007, 3:28 pm CDT

Make my kid a Star

Quote From: blraven

It will be interesting to see who wins, however.....none of these children are that talented. At best, they are a bit above average.The mothers are pushy, and rude to their own children. The kids might learn something about respect if they were shown some, but their own mothers don't respect them. I believe the mothers are pushing them in this direction simply because they could not achieve it for themselves. It might be more interesing to hear what the fathers, and other family members think of tis whole affair.
I cannot beleive how these mothers treat there children. I agree with the comment the Mothers didn't make anything of theirselves so they are pushing their Children to do it. Some were talented, some aren't . The only Mother & daughter that seem like they actually love each other are Gracie & her Mom. The one Mother can't say anything without a nasty word. Plus she dresses Sleazy... I think that is what she is trying to teach her daughter, you can't get anywhere unless you use your body.. That is sad she is 13        

May 19, 2007, 4:18 pm CDT

Veronica Veronica Veronica

I don't know about anyone else, but this woman, VERONICA, thinks she is the ONE they should pick!!!  She behaves like a bitch in heat around Dr. Phil and it's so embarrassing to watch.  Her poor child who she treats like an adult and not the child she is.  I have more respect for this little girl than her mother.

To Gracie's Dad....what a wonderful message....I hope all the other Mothers read what you wrote...maybe they'll learn how to be better Moms!  Gracie is a very lucky little girl to have you both as parents.

Dr. Phil....keep sock'in it to 'em!  Hopefully, they will figure it out with a little help from you.

May 19, 2007, 4:29 pm CDT

Good Luck Gracie!

Quote From: graciesdad

Everyone's really excited for Monday's big finale!  We've all had a couple of days now to digest Parts 1 & 2 along with the all the emotions and thoughts we found ourselves processing individually and a family.  I can say to Dr. Phil's viewers without hesitation that this experience has been a very valuable learning exercise for Gracie and for our family.  In our conversations, Gracie, Kiki, Steve, Warren, Nicole and I all agree that the show brought out some very important issues for us to address as a family if we truly want to be the kind of loving and supportive family that we want to be.

First, we've heard right from Gracie's own words and emotions that she's feeling much more pressure to "make it" than we were previously aware.  Sure, we certainly know that Gracie has a natural tendency to take things a little harder and more seriously than other 11 year old kids, but, we had never been confronted with the harsher reality of the self-pressure that she's experiencing now that she's really out there giving her dream her best shot.  There's no doubt that we (Kiki, Steve, Nicole and I) owe it to Grace to do a much better job of reinforcing to her that her value as a human being and as our child has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that she's our child and that our love and support will always be absolutely unconditional.  We also are going to do a much better job emphasizing to her that the real value of any heartfelt pursuit is always in the journey itself rather than the destination.  Trust us, we are just as imperfect as any parent out there watching this special or reading these message boards and we are doing our best to absorb the lessons that Dr. Phil's opporunity has for us and then to apply them in a way that not only helps Gracie be a happier and healthier kid, but, that helps us each be a better parent and a better person.

One interesting by-product of this experience is that I've been able to have great conversations with Warren about the clear risks of seeking fame for fame's sake versus seeking a deep satisfaction from the the craft of being the best actor or actress (or engineer, or attorney, or physician, or fireperson, or financial advisor, or parent et al) that you can become.  Kiki and Grace are having similar conversations.  We are going to put a lot of effort over the summer when they will both be spending time together here in Kentucky into gaining a perspective on how to have unlimited dreams and ambitions while maintaining a healthy life perspecitve.

Overall, this has been a wonderful, timely and valuable experience for Gracie and for our family!  We'll be watching Monday's show with great expectation and a fixed determination to not let the lessons of this experience go unlearned or unapplied.  The truth is that each of the kids on this show have lots of talent and given the right set of circumstances and a bit of luck, they will each achieve great things in life.  Of course, isn't it that way for most of us in life?

So, we'll all be watching with great interest to see how these great kids perform their own chosen material in front of a live studio audience as well as a panel of industry experts.  To this point, remember that the kids have had to perform material that didn't always play to their individual strengths.  If you think you know how this whole thing winds up, you might be very surprised!  Producers don't like to give away their big endings and great plot twists are par for the course with these type of shows. 

Gracie's already had more success during Part 1 & 2 than we could have ever expected.  After Part 3 has aired, I'll post my final thoughts about the outcome and a final thanks to Dr. Phil for the opportunity along with our congratulations to the overall winner!

Stay tuned, Part 3's going to be a lot of fun....

Gracie's Dad (and Warren's Too!)

I think it's great that these kids get an experience like this. I do however, think that the only supportive parents are Gracies. She does seem to put alot on her own shoulders for such a young girl, but with her family behind her and not yelling, screaming and demeaning her like the other mom's, it's clear why I think she will be the overall winner. I am so sad for the girl who has the mother named Veronica. She overshadows anything her child does with so much negativity! It's not doing anything positive for her, only embarrassing her and making her frustrated. The fact that she aired her own pictures of her rear end shows that she is in this for herself and not her daughter. She seems to be pushing her daughter to be more provocative in her poses, and you can see from the others girls pictures that they are more model like for their age. It's really sad. What's going to end up happening is her daughter will feel like she let her mother down and I am afraid that may just end up being true. How sad when you push your child into something for yourself.

May 19, 2007, 4:44 pm CDT

to gracies dad

Hi Dad: Forgot to respond to one brief comment of yours, wherein you hoped Gracie and Kyrian could play sister and brother on some project. We hope so too. See you on the set, when it happens.

May 19, 2007, 4:57 pm CDT

Dr Phil is lucky to have obsessed parents

Whatever else may be true, if a number of kids hadn't been interested in careers in the performing arts (that includes music as well as acting), there wouldn't have been any kids on the show, because no one would have submitted. And you'd have nothing to react to, because there would have been no show. Be aware that the Dr. Phil show tells some but not ALL of the story. We watched every mom behave quite rationally and supportively towards their kids most of the time. But we also recognise that when you try to achieve something in any field, there's higher stress. Can't be helped. As for pressure on the kids.....if all of them didn't want to be doing what they're doing, they certainly never would have made it on the show.

As for the parents.......all of the negative parental motives mentioned may be present in some degree, but not necessarily. The moment you recognize that what's happening on the show is KID-DRIVEN, then you have to think how you would help your child do what they want, given your circumstances.

May 19, 2007, 5:22 pm CDT

05/21 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Quote From: graciesdad

Everyone's really excited for Monday's big finale!  We've all had a couple of days now to digest Parts 1 & 2 along with the all the emotions and thoughts we found ourselves processing individually and a family.  I can say to Dr. Phil's viewers without hesitation that this experience has been a very valuable learning exercise for Gracie and for our family.  In our conversations, Gracie, Kiki, Steve, Warren, Nicole and I all agree that the show brought out some very important issues for us to address as a family if we truly want to be the kind of loving and supportive family that we want to be.

First, we've heard right from Gracie's own words and emotions that she's feeling much more pressure to "make it" than we were previously aware.  Sure, we certainly know that Gracie has a natural tendency to take things a little harder and more seriously than other 11 year old kids, but, we had never been confronted with the harsher reality of the self-pressure that she's experiencing now that she's really out there giving her dream her best shot.  There's no doubt that we (Kiki, Steve, Nicole and I) owe it to Grace to do a much better job of reinforcing to her that her value as a human being and as our child has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that she's our child and that our love and support will always be absolutely unconditional.  We also are going to do a much better job emphasizing to her that the real value of any heartfelt pursuit is always in the journey itself rather than the destination.  Trust us, we are just as imperfect as any parent out there watching this special or reading these message boards and we are doing our best to absorb the lessons that Dr. Phil's opporunity has for us and then to apply them in a way that not only helps Gracie be a happier and healthier kid, but, that helps us each be a better parent and a better person.

One interesting by-product of this experience is that I've been able to have great conversations with Warren about the clear risks of seeking fame for fame's sake versus seeking a deep satisfaction from the the craft of being the best actor or actress (or engineer, or attorney, or physician, or fireperson, or financial advisor, or parent et al) that you can become.  Kiki and Grace are having similar conversations.  We are going to put a lot of effort over the summer when they will both be spending time together here in Kentucky into gaining a perspective on how to have unlimited dreams and ambitions while maintaining a healthy life perspecitve.

Overall, this has been a wonderful, timely and valuable experience for Gracie and for our family!  We'll be watching Monday's show with great expectation and a fixed determination to not let the lessons of this experience go unlearned or unapplied.  The truth is that each of the kids on this show have lots of talent and given the right set of circumstances and a bit of luck, they will each achieve great things in life.  Of course, isn't it that way for most of us in life?

So, we'll all be watching with great interest to see how these great kids perform their own chosen material in front of a live studio audience as well as a panel of industry experts.  To this point, remember that the kids have had to perform material that didn't always play to their individual strengths.  If you think you know how this whole thing winds up, you might be very surprised!  Producers don't like to give away their big endings and great plot twists are par for the course with these type of shows. 

Gracie's already had more success during Part 1 & 2 than we could have ever expected.  After Part 3 has aired, I'll post my final thoughts about the outcome and a final thanks to Dr. Phil for the opportunity along with our congratulations to the overall winner!

Stay tuned, Part 3's going to be a lot of fun....

Gracie's Dad (and Warren's Too!)

none of these children are any different than the kids next door. the parents have pushed, yelled and threaten "thier" dreams down their throats. I can dress up my dog to look like a poodle but it still won't be anything but a mixed breed. Leave these poor kids alone and let them be kids. If they have talent will be seen by the right person at the right time. Mothers, get a life and stop trying to live through your children.  none of you should be proud of the way you all have acted on national TV.

May 19, 2007, 5:55 pm CDT

Just because You didnt achieve your dreams....

This Message is for the Parents of all the Kids you are PUSHING to be stars!

Its sad to see Kids being Pushed into a world where they have to compete with others for a role or a job at such a young age. They will all understand what kind of Dog eat Dog world this is in due time without each parent pushing their kids to become actors, Stars or singers to FULLFIlL the PARENTS DREAMS because they didnt make it themself. I really feel sorry for the girl with the Mom who was a TOTAL WITCH to Dr. Phil, posing her daughter in very Provocative cloths and the mom tells the girl,"You have more then legs and a torso, just your upper body," ARE YOU CRAZY WOMAN? If you daughter, at the age of 13, hasnt had sex yet or experminted, she will be very soon. The girl, from watching the mom, will see the DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO SUCCEED ATTITUDE from the mom and do the same herself, I wont get into that any father, but I am sure you all know what I am talking about. And also, HOW STUPID CAN THE MOM BE?!? Does she NOT KNOW or CARE that there are MANY Petofiles out there looking for under age girls like your daugther and you are just packaging her up to sell to these freaks! Do you NOT KNOW there are Producers and Directors who are also PETOFILES who will TAKE ADVANTAGE of your daugther when you leave her along with them for an AUDITION? I think some people dont even have a brain!

If MOST of these mom's would just STEP BACK and let the kid do the audition on their own, they would succeed A LOT FASTER because most of the kids have talent, its the mom, like Dr. Phil said, that the Producers dont want to have to work with! I dont blame them! Mom's, Dad's, If you couldnt fullfill your dreams on your own, DONT TRY TO LIVE THEM OUT THOUGH YOUR SON'S AND DAUGHTER'S, let them be kids and enjoy life, do you really want to push them like Jo Jackson did his kids and they may end up like Micheal Jackson? Need I say more? Its hard enough growing up as a kid now a days without the parent trying to turn their kid/s into a MEAL TICKET! You know thats what most of you are after. Dont you know that after all the pushing and bitching you do you will end up driving your kids away from you and not closer? like Dr. Phil told that one woman, and I think most of the mom's need to listen to what he said to her, "ITS NOT ABOUT YOU LADY, IT'S ABOUT YOUR KID!" Let the kids Natural personality come though, if they have got what it takes, the producers or talent scout will see that and will take them and per-fect that talent, the LESS of you that you put in them the better, because if you, THE PARENT, had what it takes in the first plave or knew what it took, you would already be in Hollywood wouldnt you, as a star, and not you pushing your kid to be a star!

Also, Dont get SO MAD or JEALOUS when someone else wins, like Gracie, its not rigged, she is a very talented little girl, congratulate her and her mom, dont get mad and put her down, thats a very sore loser! I wouldnt be surprised if Gracie wins it all, she is very intelligent and wise for her age and very talented. Before you strike out to win the BIG HOLLYWOOD Producers, you need to start in small towns first and enter talent contest and let you kids get the practice and stage time they need to feel at ease on stage.

Take this advice for whatever it is worth to you, get angry to just plain GET IT, its up to you, I guarantee you, it is SOUND, TIME TESTED ADVICE, take it or leave it. Good luck to all of you and may God Bless!

God Bless,

M. Fox

May 19, 2007, 7:16 pm CDT

Men Dressing as women

Those two couples last week!  The male partners both used to many feminine tolietress and would only help like a woman etc.  Anyway, you made my day I just laughed and laughed

May 19, 2007, 7:17 pm CDT

Men Dressing as women

Those two couples last week!  The male partners both used to many feminine tolietress and would only help like a woman etc.  Anyway, you made my day I just laughed and laughed

May 19, 2007, 7:26 pm CDT

wrath of Veronica.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last