Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Number of Replies: 550
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/21/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition heats up! Seven kids with stars in their eyes face the final leg of the competition in The Dr. Phil House, but do their mothers unwittingly sabotage their chances? After speaking with Veronica, Kiki and Larissa about how they could be a liability to their child’s success, Dr. Phil turns to Kim and Susan. Playing a video clip of Kim’s daughter, Alaina, in an interview, Dr. Phil points out the pressure and stress that she feels and how it may affect her performance in school. Then, Dr. Phil shows a video of Susan assisting her daughter, Meagan, during the dance rehearsals. In the video, Meagan struggles under her demands. Will these mothers adjust their behavior and take on a healthy, supportive role in their child’s career? Then, it’s time for the final talent show! Each child performs on the Dr. Phil stage, in front of his studio audience and a panel of Hollywood’s top talent agents, managers and casting directors, who decide the grand-prize winner. The children receive fabulous prizes for their hard work, but they mean little to one upset mother. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 22, 2007, 9:04 am CDT

Amazing

Quote From: jademartin

My goodness. Have some class and use her picture appropriately. Don't pander her around here. You are just as bad as the others who can't see when to quit.

You know who uses these pictures like you posted of your daughter? Sick, men. That's right. Sickos who mastubate when looking at them. It's gross BUT TRUE. Same with myspace pictures of cute daughter. DO HER a favor and use the pictures of her when visiting agents, not on the web message board. No one is going to hire her from your post.

I can't remember the name of the girl who sang but she sang the Star Spangled Banner. Anyway I'm sorry but anyone who knows music can tell you she hasn't a clue how to sing. She took a breath in all the wrong spots, has no breath control ( she was always running out of air ),pronounced her vowels terribly and above all at the "above the fruited plain" part she missed the note and completely changed keys in the middle of the song. What killed me is the judges who have to be nice and pour on the praise rather than be honest that the girl can't sing. Maybe the judges  themselves didn't catch those obvious mistakes. Let's at least be honest for crying out loud. Gracie was hands down the most talented and deserved to win.

May 22, 2007, 9:17 am CDT

05/21 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Quote From: patrickjohn

I concur with the choice of winners. All these kids got great exposure and they may find what they seek. I worry about Maria - not as an agent, but as a father. She is headed down a road that could end with a pregnancy - or worse. Her mother has attitude problems - the world is out to get her. These people are impossible to work with, and I would never extend an offer to Maria because of her mother. The sexualization her mother has put onto her is stomach-turning... and unfortunately, we see quite a bit of that. Once you have a reputation in Hollywood as a tart, you have poisoned yourself. I do hope Veronica doesn't do this to Maria. And the poor child has a beautiful voice, but almost no sense of pitch. What key is she in? I felt like shouting, "pick a key - ANY key!" I don't know why that wasn't mentioned. Some people just don't have the ear and I am concerned about this with Maria - I counted four modulations - if you count that very last note. It was horrible.

The other kids were cute, talented, intelligent - as are ALL children. Every parent sees the best in the child. This is a gift of nature and it's what energizes us to do the long, hard labor of parenting. But the goal of parenting is end up with healthy, happy, well-adjusted, productive adults... not super stars. Some of these mothers lost their way. They are too invested. I would advise them to sit down and think HARD - think about what it would mean to them if their child never became a star. It looks to me that they would not be able to stand it. Therein lies the problem. These moms all have the power to ruin it for the child. I only hope they will continue to focus on school as the most important aspect of their lives.

ALL PARENTS: When your child shows an interest in something, support it with enthusiasm! And check your ego at the door! Find teachers or coaches in whatever it is. And if you are personally invested in your child becoming a great tap dancer... find a dance studio and that those lessons YOURSELF.

Children have their own interests, and these interests shift throughout childhood - and in adulthood, as well. Parents need to support the interests and assist the child to develop it himself, with professional guidance. If the child starts to hate it - let him leave. There are many, many bright and talented kids lined up behind yours. If your child can't take the stress and disappointment, let it go. It is VERY stressful for them, and the disappointments are going to be enormous. Sure, the rewards of stardom are exciting - but those are few and far between.

If an agent or coach or casting director or ANY professional tells you to get help with something, graciously THANK that person. That person gave you a GIFT You are being told how to get more attention - more callbacks, etc. As a father and an agent, I can tell you that when we see pushy, defensive parents, or "tarty" mothers and daughters, we have decided against the child before the first audition. We are not in business to give ourselves headaches.

I wish all of you people in these threads the very best. And I hope your children find and develop their dreams, whatever they are.

Jon

Very well said.

VERONICA IS IN TOTAL DENIAL, and Maria will suffer in more ways than one because of that.  Very sad.

May 22, 2007, 9:28 am CDT

Correction

Quote From: lorax41

I can't remember the name of the girl who sang but she sang the Star Spangled Banner. Anyway I'm sorry but anyone who knows music can tell you she hasn't a clue how to sing. She took a breath in all the wrong spots, has no breath control ( she was always running out of air ),pronounced her vowels terribly and above all at the "above the fruited plain" part she missed the note and completely changed keys in the middle of the song. What killed me is the judges who have to be nice and pour on the praise rather than be honest that the girl can't sing. Maybe the judges  themselves didn't catch those obvious mistakes. Let's at least be honest for crying out loud. Gracie was hands down the most talented and deserved to win.
I have to correct myself. The song was America the Beautiful not the Star Spangled Banner.

May 22, 2007, 9:29 am CDT

Correction

I have to correct myself. The song was America the Beautiful not the Star Spangled Banner.

May 22, 2007, 9:38 am CDT

wrong

Quote From: brett504

I was glad to see that Kyrian got a part on Sesame street he is one cute kid. And I am sure he will do well on the show.  I really did not like the song they sang about there mother. But it was different.  Gracie she did a great job, and I hope she goes along way. 

Veronica- its sad she is kinda a sore loser, Her daughter Maria was good but only one can win.

I hope Dr Phil you keep with the updates on the kids and how they are doing.

Maria was Not good. She can't sing!

May 22, 2007, 10:11 am CDT

too funny!

Quote From: horselightning

The one talent consaltent said Veronica was saleing her daughter like a little tart. I couldn't help laughing . I never  exspected him to say that. man oh man.

haha! i must have missed it when he said that! but thats too funny! its rather harsh that he'd say that about her, but its so true! it seems like veronica is using her daughter to get to the top and she wont start pushing her. it is really sad that she does this, but dr. phil tried to help. poor maria.

May 22, 2007, 10:28 am CDT

Get over yourself Veronica

Veronica is not all that she needs to get over herself. Her daughter needs a reality check.  She needs to be allot nicer instead of acting like shes all that.

May 22, 2007, 10:45 am CDT

05/21 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Maria was Not good. She can't sing!
I agree. I feel sorry for Maria because I think her mother views her as the talent of the century and she really is just a normal kid who could probably do well singing in her school choir, but her voice lacks any uniqueness to make her star qualifty, as well as being off key at times. At the end, she said that is the best she has ever sung it. Look at child talents like Leann Rimes or Celine Dion. They were fantastic at a very young age and had a very unique sound. You have to have that "it" factor. I only saw it in Kyrian. The others might win school talent shows, but on a national or worldwide basis, they won't make it.

May 22, 2007, 10:56 am CDT

I THINK IT IS SAD THAT MARIA HAS HER MOTHER INVOLVED IN HER CAREER. I THINK MARIA WOULD BE MUCH BETTER OFF IF HER MOTHER HIRED HER DAUGHTER AN AGENT AND STEPPED OUT OF THE PICTURE. AFTER WATCHING THE LAST SHOW I AM MORTIFIED BY HOW UNGRATEFUL VERONICA IS OF ALL THAT DR. PHIL AND HIS STAFF HAS DONE TO PER MOTE HER DAUGHTER  MARIA'S CAREER. AS LONG AS VERONICA IS INVOLVED WITH MARIA'S CAREER IT WILL NOT BLOSSOM LIKE IT SHOULD.  I THINK THE REASON SHE IS UNWILLING TO LET US KNOW HOW MARIA IS DOING IS BECAUSE SHE HAS BLOWN ANY CHANCES OF A CAREER FOR HER DAUGHTER DUE TO HER NASTY, UNGRATEFUL  ATTITUDE ON TV. 

VERONICA: WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND, MAYBE IF YOU WERE MORE GRATEFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITIES YOUR DAUGHTER HAS BEEN GIVE AND NOT SO NEGATIVE ALL THE TIME SOME GOOD FORTUNE WOULD FALL UPON YOU AND THUS ONTO YOUR DESERVING DAUGHTER MARIA. AS LONG AS YOU KEEP UP YOUR BAD ATTITUDE YOU ARE CURSING YOUR DAUGHTERS CHANCES OF BEING A STAR.

AS FOR GRACIE AND HER MOTHER CONGRATS! YOU DESERVE ALL THAT YOU RECEIVE, YOU ARE BOTH SUCH DESERVING PEOPLE AND THAT IS WHY YOU WON IT ALL. GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP, ATTITUDE AND LOVE.

May 22, 2007, 10:57 am CDT

Oh my goodness!!!

I'm sorry but I have to say that when these girls opened there mouths to sing..it was like nails down a chalk board!! Good lord was it painful!  I don't think any of these girls need to get singing lessons they just need to STOP singing.

Gracie was definitely the girl who stood out for me.  I think she is adorable and does in fact have a future with her acting.

Veronica needs to realize that no one wants to hear her speak, and that she is ruining her daughter.  When I first saw her daughter I thought she was about 16 years old.  Talk about "tarted up".

First | Prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Next | Last