Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Number of Replies: 550
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/21/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition heats up! Seven kids with stars in their eyes face the final leg of the competition in The Dr. Phil House, but do their mothers unwittingly sabotage their chances? After speaking with Veronica, Kiki and Larissa about how they could be a liability to their child’s success, Dr. Phil turns to Kim and Susan. Playing a video clip of Kim’s daughter, Alaina, in an interview, Dr. Phil points out the pressure and stress that she feels and how it may affect her performance in school. Then, Dr. Phil shows a video of Susan assisting her daughter, Meagan, during the dance rehearsals. In the video, Meagan struggles under her demands. Will these mothers adjust their behavior and take on a healthy, supportive role in their child’s career? Then, it’s time for the final talent show! Each child performs on the Dr. Phil stage, in front of his studio audience and a panel of Hollywood’s top talent agents, managers and casting directors, who decide the grand-prize winner. The children receive fabulous prizes for their hard work, but they mean little to one upset mother. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 25, 2007, 4:24 pm CDT

Make my kid a star ...

I agree that this is a TEAM effort meaning parent and child together. After seeing how some of these mothers act (especially Veronica) I wouldn't want to work with the child if I was an agent.

Dr. Phil was correct and precise when he told Veronica that her child is very talented and that she is going to screw it up for her. I feel that this kind of behavior hinders a child more than encourages them to be or do their best.

One of the boys had said that they were happy for Gracie and that she was good and deserved to win. I admire that attitude. Gracie was very good. And I hope to see her in movies very soon!

August 26, 2007, 1:04 pm CDT

Gracie you rock!!

Congrats Gracie!!  i was so happy to see you win you did a great job and your mom should be very proud of you..

August 26, 2007, 2:30 pm CDT

From an ex-casting director re: Veronica and Maria

Since my posting on Friday, August 24, I have been asked by several people in private E-mails my opinion of why Veronica refused to give an update on Maria. There are three possible answers to this question.

First, perhaps no one ever got in touch with them or showed any desire to hire either of them.

Second, perhaps Maria was too embarrassed by her mother's behavior to continue and refuses to go on with this.

The third possibility is one I hope is not the case. However, knowing how this business works I wonder if when Veronica and Maria got home there  were calls offering them to perform in shall we say movies that are not exactly mentioned in polite society.

Perhaps we shall never know, but that is my take.

August 26, 2007, 10:18 pm CDT

Gracie

Loved Gracie's spirit!  I also felt her mom was wonderful in how she dealt with her. Kiki seems like such a loving mother who just wants to support her child's dream.

Gracie...you go girl!  Kiki....you have my respect and admiration as a mother! I wish you both the best of luck.

I sure felt for Maria, her mother is a piece of work.  I hope things go well for her as she goes through those trying teen years.  It's a shame her mom acts and speaks the way she does and I hope Maria won't become that way. She's a beautiful young girl and should be shown how to walk through life with grace and class.

August 26, 2007, 10:21 pm CDT

Shocked

I was amazed by Veronica's comment:  "We didn't come all this way just to get an X-Box!"  How totally ungrateful can she be?  The show paid their way to get to California, paid for the opportunities afforded to her daughter, brought her on Dr. Phil's stage for a performance, and all she can say is "We didn't come all this way just to get an X-Box?" 

Come on, Veronica, GET OVER YOURSELF!

August 26, 2007, 11:00 pm CDT

08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Quote From: markju

This was only a small microcosm of some parent's behavior when it comes to their children and being on television. I have learned through my own daughter's involvement with t.v. shows that you cannot over-value television. It's not fair to the child and it's a false and fleeting environment.

It's just t.v.!! In no way, whatsoever, should it be what determines your child's worth or value in life.

It's wrong, as their parent, to believe that or for your children to grow up thinking they are only as good as the last t.v. show they appeared on or movie they were in. The children of each of these parents are all special in their own way and at the end of the day, if no one else recognizes their own unique gifts, who cares....you still have a healthy...great kid that you can be proud of!! Other peoples recognition of that is insignificant. Besides, even kids with tons of talent go nowhere because it has a lot to do with luck!! There are tons of great and fantastic "shower" singers out there in society because they didn't catch a lucky break. Who knows if they are better-off or worse-off because of that? I think you have to be very careful of what you ask for and understand that there are huge pit-falls in the entertainment industry....most people dive head first into them without really considering the consequences or the effect it will have on their children.

In response to the women who asked if anyone can think of one child-star who has transitioned successfully into adulthood...yes - only one! Ron Howard.

I can think of another childstar ,,,,Kurt Russell

August 27, 2007, 1:30 pm CDT

The Emphaaasis on the Wrong Sylaaable

This series was outrageous to watch!  What are these mothers thinking?  Children should never be subjected to this kind of pressure.  There are very few children and mothers/fathers that can handle this type of business.  It's like trying to make the NFL or the NBA.  The odds are stacked so high against the young people.  The emphasis should be on school where a child can grow, learn and achieve his or her dreams in the areas of their scholastic talents.  Mothers that push and push when a child is barely mediocre is setting that child up for failure, depression, drug and/or alcohol addiction, low self esteem, etc.  Need I say more?  Moms.....live your own life and let your child live theirs, not yours!  Just look back in history and check out all the child stars that became screwed up adults and/or died prematurely.  Some didn't even make it out of their 20's.  Is that what you really want for the baby you bore so that you can feel the endorphins of false hope? 

August 28, 2007, 9:31 am CDT

Maria's singing

Quote From: larissaf

I had a long discussion with my husband, who agreed with you on pitch and change of keys in Maria's singing and who disagreed with your statement that she can't sing. I also had a long discussion with Dmitri, who has the most amazing pitch recognition, and who is being advised to study conducting in the future as well as prepare for a solo career ( he is a very talented cellist and plays many other instruments, among them piano - he is studying jazz). I'm a concert pianist, with a DMA on hiatus and I've studied composition, theory and Schenker music analysis. Here is our contribution to the discussion about Maria's singing, without passing judgement on whether she will or will not be a vocalist someday - as you will agree, often your voice matters less in recording situations, due to the availability of various audio enhancements.
So purely on pitch - considering that she was singing a capella and that she does not have a trained voice - she stayed pretty much on the right pitch, once she started to sing. Regarding changing the key - to which you and other listeners devoted so much attention - she changed it once! She sang the song in A flat maj. and In the 6th bar of the song, instead of going up an octave to 5/5/5 of the original key (A flat), she went up a maj. 6th and arrived to a D7 of F maj. Now the problem was that she arrived to a new key, but she managed to catch the right note - E flat which was where she should have picked up anyway on the 8th bar - and so she went back right back to A flat major, where she started out. No mistakes on the last note and no key changes except one - on the short turnaround. I give her an "A" for coming back to the original key, without having a perfct pitch and without accompaniment. Professor, would you or your students have figured out, which key she was in, if you were her accompanist? Dmitri would have, but not I, because I'm not lucky enough to possess such a gift. So the girl CAN sing, as one music producer has already ascertained, because he decided on working with her. As far as the your recommendation that we all spend our time in the park, or in the museum, or listening to Vivaldi or other fine music - we do that. We also have a great voice teacher for the boys, because I'm very concerned about yelling and belting - which is the preferred style in many shows - our teacher flat -out refused to teach them to belt, explaining that it could permanently damage the vocal cords. I hope that the readers with the aspiring child - singers are reading this. So I would say that we are not quite as insensitive to listening to coaches as you - or your students - believe.
Larissa

Dear Larissa,

You are absolutely right in your analysis of Maria's pitch, but you are viewing this as a classically trained musician. As a casting agent I would be more interested in the overall presentation. Maria is a beautiful girl, but the overall impression she makes with her singing is that of someone who is untrained and whose singing is not coming from her heart. There is really no stage presence, but this is not her fault. She obviously has not had any professional training and frankly would not make it at a competitive audition. You are right about her going back to A flat major where she started out, the point is that she did change keys in the middle of the song and that would have counted against her at an audition as, let's face it, it was a mistake, was jarring and seemed to be unrehearsed. She tried her best but it is obvious that Veronica's hand is in all of this. Why this woman considers herself qualified to coach Maria in anything is beyond me.

August 28, 2007, 11:59 pm CDT

a opinion

I di think u mothers were told nothing about this show being about back stage moms, and feel for u there, but also if u knew wouldnt have shown ur true behavior. Veronica, u r the biggest xxxxx of anyone I've seen act like that in a long time. And to think your duaghter is so great, no she wasn't, sorry, and feel she would be if you'd be honest and help her be -strive to be instead of already thinking she is perfect at such a young age. She has a beauitful voice but it is nasally?-Just get her some lessons, she'll get thru that and sound great. She is most beautiful too but with kids its not about the prettiest. Gracie(y) was the best and she desevred to win. It wasn't a set up.
I must say my favorite was the smallest of the 3 boys -he is a doll!!!!!!!! If i heard he was to be in a movie I would go for real-CUTE CUTE CUTE!!! like the boy in Home alone was at his age. He will be greta on seseme street and think that will lead other places too. Those dimples too!! And I'm not big on cute kid actors, but he's a little star for sure!!
All mothers shocked me but I think all learned what dr.phil ws tryin to say and no don't think they are bad mothers at all!!!  I wish my mom cared half that much. U guys r too much, and its smothering them, that's all. Good luck to all. I do beleive I will see that little boy in a big screen comedy unless hollywood is dumb-he'd been great in the nanny diaries for instance!!!
I commend too Gracie's mother offering for any to stay woith them in holywood-very commendable!!!!!

August 30, 2007, 5:21 pm CDT

NO Umpa-Lumpas?

This series was fascinating.  It was like a modern reality show at Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory.  The boys' mother's accent was even like that of Agustin's mother!  May they all leave with a sense of reality and knowlege of how to relate to real people, balance a check book, and read a book. 

First | Prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | Next | Last