Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Number of Replies: 550
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/21/07) Dr. Phil’s child star competition heats up! Seven kids with stars in their eyes face the final leg of the competition in The Dr. Phil House, but do their mothers unwittingly sabotage their chances? After speaking with Veronica, Kiki and Larissa about how they could be a liability to their child’s success, Dr. Phil turns to Kim and Susan. Playing a video clip of Kim’s daughter, Alaina, in an interview, Dr. Phil points out the pressure and stress that she feels and how it may affect her performance in school. Then, Dr. Phil shows a video of Susan assisting her daughter, Meagan, during the dance rehearsals. In the video, Meagan struggles under her demands. Will these mothers adjust their behavior and take on a healthy, supportive role in their child’s career? Then, it’s time for the final talent show! Each child performs on the Dr. Phil stage, in front of his studio audience and a panel of Hollywood’s top talent agents, managers and casting directors, who decide the grand-prize winner. The children receive fabulous prizes for their hard work, but they mean little to one upset mother. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 1, 2007, 8:26 pm CDT

mothers

First of all, these young people were really wonderful!  I agree Gracie is a find, yet, let us not forget Dmitri at the piano, and, I thought Meagan was impressive.

I was musical for many years and during the early 90s musical and nonmusical people were reading this book by noted oboist and college instructer Stuart Edward DUNKEL

Audition Process (Anxiety Management and Coping Strategies)  1990

I felt that some of these mothers were not putting enough into their own lives and may need to rethink how their resources are being allocated...  If you find a compulsion to develop your family and deny your needs you may find your 50s and beyond devoid of the power, responsibliity, and influence that should be yours. 

I feel Veronica is not willing to let her daughter be successful and both mother and daughter have grief issues that are not necessary related to this audition.

Kim, while I agree with competitive aggression, I  think auditions on this level are about expression. I felt your daughter needed your grounding, creativity and caring in her body.  The extreme focus of your drive seemed to void her ability to express, create, and enjoy the achievement of being on this show.  In the expressive arena I rarely see people bond with hyper overcompetitive mothers and believe that needed to occur for your daugher to have a win.  What was in your daughter?  Your extreme need to win...which might have been reasonable for someone getting to the goal in an athletic event, smile, yet this is a creative, not athletic event.  What if  during the competition you focus on including your daughter in your heart  and open yourself up to radiant  happiness and joy that she is developing so beautifully?  By the way, your earrings were great.

People in acting and other entertainment venues try to keep their emotions clear, positive, and strong throughout the decision process.  Surviving high pressure auditions is a fact of life for people in the entertainment industry thus competitors  need to develop strong emotional control.  Over the years an overly anxious, emotional response to competition may weaken one's will to thrive, and, in younger persons,  developing brains need supporting biochemical  responses that allow rationality, focus and problem solving.  This means developing emotional control skills is every bit as important as skills in dance/drama/music. 

I haven't competed musically for many years but found this was helpful:  I keep the vision of my ability strong and see myself surrounded by smiling faces in a group hug with the angels in my life -- not the kind with haloes and wings, the human kind that  love and support me.  I know I'm  good, will continue to do well, and feel safe and strong in my life.  I then change the image in my mind and the group hug becomes the angels that will  some day be in my life, those who want and need my talents  and are willing to develop and pay for my accomplishments.  I am not saying to slow yourself down and go into a prayerful response.  The brain continues to be alert,and aware of what is happening.

Your life must be fulfilling and workable for your needs.  If that means telling your parents no to what they expect from you then let them know you must be successful and to do that you need greater authority in choices concerning your life.  That also includes their activities during your auditions, so,  If you believe they are not acting reasonably during auditions let them know what would be helpful to you.

September 5, 2007, 5:00 pm CDT

Also got carried away

Quote From: strodek

I just want to say from experience that parents are way too pushy with their kids when it comes to "making them a star".  We had an experience with one of our sons who at a very young age was a phenonemal baseball player.  Upmires would come up to him after games and talk to him.  He was always small until about the 11th grade, but beginning at age 8, he started playing with older kids, and not "sissy" little league (I'm not calling little league "sissy", that is what the "SELECT" baseball coaches called it.  Well, we got sucked into this fast paced world of "SELECT" baseball, and my son even won a World Series at the age of 10, and then came in second place at another world series at age 13.  BUT, it was not worth it.  Not only were we shelling out money we didn't have, and always out soliciting sponsorships, but our son was EXPECTED to make phenonemal plays.  The "great" plays were not enough!  I remember watching other players' parents on the bleachers sitting there hoping their son didn't make ONE mistake, and if they did, everyone in the bleachers on both sides could hear the parent angrily yelling at their kid.  (that is just stupid).  And our children know, they know if we are not happy with their performance.  Beginning at very young ages, our kids just want to please us.  Our son still plays ball a lot and he enjoys it.  He can pitch 90 miles an hour, BUT he doesn't.  In high school, he said he missed "PLAYING" baseball.  It wasn't "fun" anymore.  If he played a "perfect" game, there was always something else he should have done better.  And also, our kids were expected to take "private lessons" if they were in select baseball.  I know of parents that paid hundreds of dollars "EVERY" week.  I take full responsibility for my part (being too pushy and always telling my son how to be better).  Some of the parents on our team had horrible attitudes.  I stopped buying my son the "Baseball is Life" t-shirts, because it is NOT.  I remember one of the first tournaments that we had "boy pitch".  My son pitched the first three innings (that was the maximun at his age, and then his good friend came in and pitched the last three innings.  We were leading 5-3 in the last inning with two outs.  The other team had 2 runners on base, and their #9 hitter (this tiny little kid) came up to the plate and hit his first home run and we got beat 6-5.  My son ran up to his father and I and said, "mom and dad, can I have "2" hotdogs????  But most of the other boys AND THEIR PARENTS were crying!!!  If we would have won, we would have gotten to travel and play in a "real tournament".    My point is (and by the way, the boy that was pitching and gave up the winning homerun,   he cried and was upset for a long time an  blamed  himself for the loss.  He now is playing for the Astros and played with them at Spring Training in Kissimmee this past Spring) and so like I said my point is that we all need to "calm down" and let our kids have fun. I remember very specifically in one tournament when we were ahead by one run, and the other team had the bases loaded with "NO" outs.  They brought in my son to pitch.  He had a huge grin on his face as he struck out the side and we won the game!  And it was because he was having fun, and had the confidence, and was just "playing" baseball.   I was probably one of the worst parents, always wanting my son to do better, while in fact he was "SO" good, and I never slowed down and shared with him more positive than negative comments.  Eventually, the stress caught up to him.  The huge smile that was always on his face had been replaced with stomache aches before games.   When our children make mistakes (in ball games, or in gymnastics, or whatever they do) don't you know that they aleady know it?????   What they really need is an icecream from TCBY instead of more private lessons.    I wish we could go back and start over again, and not have let so much pressure be put on our son.  I remember the morning when the coach called and told us that some of the parents had a problem with our son "always" having to leave for church.  (We go to church 2 hours on Sunday morning and 1 hour Sunday night, and then 1  hour on Wednesday night).   The coach said he personally did not have a problem, but several of the parents did.  I gladly told him that he had just helped me and my husband make a decision that we had been struggling with WAY TOO LONG.  Our reply was, then our son can't play with yall, but thanks for everything.  My son is now  21 and when he goes and plays ball, he is really fun to watch.  He'll catch a fly ball in centerfield bare handed, or climb the fence and rob someone of a homerun, or throw someone out from centerfield that is trying to tag up and score.  After the games, there are always guys that come up to him and ask him if he ever played pro ball.  He just smiles and says "no".  I'm just happy that he is having fun ---- something that we should have made sure happened many years ago.  SO for you parents that are just starting out, PLEASE HEAR ME, don't fall into the same thing we did.  It is NOT worth it to your child or your relationship with your child.  Let you kid have fun, because one day some stupid game won't even matter.   But how you loved your kid will!   And by making your child be subject to angry, degrading, & cussing coaches is not at all appropriate or okay!   Good Luck, and I'm happy if just ONE person listens. 

I also got carried away with wanting my kids to be good at sports.  I put pressure on and now feel ashamed of my behavior. 

September 10, 2007, 2:55 pm CDT

08/24 The Dr. Phil House: “Make My Kid a Star,” Part 3

Quote From: katesgrammy

I was amazed by Veronica's comment:  "We didn't come all this way just to get an X-Box!"  How totally ungrateful can she be?  The show paid their way to get to California, paid for the opportunities afforded to her daughter, brought her on Dr. Phil's stage for a performance, and all she can say is "We didn't come all this way just to get an X-Box?" 

Come on, Veronica, GET OVER YOURSELF!

Veronica should not even be allowed around her duaghter until she gets her act together. She seemed more like a self obsessed snotty teenager than a mom. I know she wanted her duaghter to succeed and she is not physically harming her, but for real! What Veronica is doing to her child and in front of her child is ABUSE. Her daughter is going to grow up to either be a shallow airhead or depressed because of the influence her mom sets for her. As well, she was abusing her daughter with the overly sexual pictures that she allowed to be taken and shown of her daughter. I wouldnt be surprised if Veronica has a few disgusting pictures out there of herself as well. Someone needs to slap Veronica around and take her daughter and put her in a safe environment so she doesnt grow up to be like her mom. That poor little girl deserves that much AND the X-Box. Its called being GRATEFUL Veronica.

September 11, 2007, 1:36 pm CDT

Veronica and Maria

Quote From: whitb55

Veronica should not even be allowed around her duaghter until she gets her act together. She seemed more like a self obsessed snotty teenager than a mom. I know she wanted her duaghter to succeed and she is not physically harming her, but for real! What Veronica is doing to her child and in front of her child is ABUSE. Her daughter is going to grow up to either be a shallow airhead or depressed because of the influence her mom sets for her. As well, she was abusing her daughter with the overly sexual pictures that she allowed to be taken and shown of her daughter. I wouldnt be surprised if Veronica has a few disgusting pictures out there of herself as well. Someone needs to slap Veronica around and take her daughter and put her in a safe environment so she doesnt grow up to be like her mom. That poor little girl deserves that much AND the X-Box. Its called being GRATEFUL Veronica.
C'mon now. If Dr. Phil really felt Maria was in any danger he would have taken the appropriate steps. Veronica is not a bad woman and she is not out to hurt her child. She is an ignorant, classless, ill mannered bully who thinks she is entitled to be the "last word" on everything. Her ignorance was manifested in the way she did not catch the importance of stressing the words of the cereal commercial. Maria read it as "wonder wee". Veronica corrected it, but Maria still said "wonder wee" when she auditioned. Had Veronica been a true coach she would have seen to it that Maria knew what she was saying before she went into the audition. She is classless and ill mannered manifested by her cursing and outrageous conduct, even knowing she was on television. She is a manipulative bully shown when she told Maria to get up on a table and sing her head off. Contrast that with Gracie, the only true professional in the group, who sweetly asked if she and Meagan could switch roles because she wanted to sing. After being told many times to tone her daughter's look down and agreeing to do so, she sent Maria onstage in the same strapless Sears dress which lost her the print ad audition and with her hair teased and slicked up. Then from the audience she said "I love you" to Maria and Maria actually answered her from the stage. This was the most unprofessional thing she could have done. She topped it off with the X-Box comment. It is really a shame that Maria, once she gets some training,  will not get any work because by now every agent from Hollywood to New York knows to watch out for Veronica. It is too bad that Veronica said she was glad for the wake up call and then accused Dr. Phil of picking on her, after she was the one who stuck her neck out for him to chop off and was the only one of the mothers who kissed him when he came into the room. The other mothers stood up and shook hands like the ladies they are. It is very sad for Maria, and I hope Veronica gets some insight into her behavior, but I doubt she will. She is too stubborn to even contemplate that she has made any kind of contribution to the chaos that resulted from her behavior.

September 15, 2007, 10:35 pm CDT

The Make my kid a Star pt 3

I think the children did a fantastic job!! And considering how their mothers were acting and behaving, they still had the courage to get up on stage and do their thing. I know If my mother was pushing me like that as a kid, I would of quit! I was actually quite shocked at some of the mothers to be honest, I thought some of it was very abusive. Congrats to Gracie, I believe she outshined all the other children and I wish her and the rest of the kids the best of luck! As for the mothers, if you are going to keep pushing your kids into this; then you are going to have to take it down a notch and stop acting like brats.

September 18, 2007, 1:54 pm CDT

Quote From: magenta16

C'mon now. If Dr. Phil really felt Maria was in any danger he would have taken the appropriate steps. Veronica is not a bad woman and she is not out to hurt her child. She is an ignorant, classless, ill mannered bully who thinks she is entitled to be the "last word" on everything. Her ignorance was manifested in the way she did not catch the importance of stressing the words of the cereal commercial. Maria read it as "wonder wee". Veronica corrected it, but Maria still said "wonder wee" when she auditioned. Had Veronica been a true coach she would have seen to it that Maria knew what she was saying before she went into the audition. She is classless and ill mannered manifested by her cursing and outrageous conduct, even knowing she was on television. She is a manipulative bully shown when she told Maria to get up on a table and sing her head off. Contrast that with Gracie, the only true professional in the group, who sweetly asked if she and Meagan could switch roles because she wanted to sing. After being told many times to tone her daughter's look down and agreeing to do so, she sent Maria onstage in the same strapless Sears dress which lost her the print ad audition and with her hair teased and slicked up. Then from the audience she said "I love you" to Maria and Maria actually answered her from the stage. This was the most unprofessional thing she could have done. She topped it off with the X-Box comment. It is really a shame that Maria, once she gets some training,  will not get any work because by now every agent from Hollywood to New York knows to watch out for Veronica. It is too bad that Veronica said she was glad for the wake up call and then accused Dr. Phil of picking on her, after she was the one who stuck her neck out for him to chop off and was the only one of the mothers who kissed him when he came into the room. The other mothers stood up and shook hands like the ladies they are. It is very sad for Maria, and I hope Veronica gets some insight into her behavior, but I doubt she will. She is too stubborn to even contemplate that she has made any kind of contribution to the chaos that resulted from her behavior.
Exactly, and someone who behaves like that should not be allowed to parent a child, who will most likely grow up to behave the same way. Where is Maria's father anyway?

October 16, 2007, 8:23 pm CDT

Go Gracie

Hi

I'm from New Zealand and have just been watching make my kid a star.

Wow I can't believe what I've seen.  The parents need to be ashamed of their behaviour.  Maybe it requires someone objective and non biased because Gracie from the start had the X factor.  She really could be a star. 

Sorry everyone but the rest of you although talented, were still only average.

December 19, 2007, 5:19 am CST

so agree!!!

Quote From: knoxvillian

haha! i must have missed it when he said that! but thats too funny! its rather harsh that he'd say that about her, but its so true! it seems like veronica is using her daughter to get to the top and she wont start pushing her. it is really sad that she does this, but dr. phil tried to help. poor maria.

Veronica lives her life from her doughters life....

its sad, and its destroys her doughter....

how can parents be so blind and push there children to somthing they dont wont...

January 25, 2008, 5:07 pm CST

Quote From: graciesdad

Everyone's really excited for Monday's big finale!  We've all had a couple of days now to digest Parts 1 & 2 along with the all the emotions and thoughts we found ourselves processing individually and a family.  I can say to Dr. Phil's viewers without hesitation that this experience has been a very valuable learning exercise for Gracie and for our family.  In our conversations, Gracie, Kiki, Steve, Warren, Nicole and I all agree that the show brought out some very important issues for us to address as a family if we truly want to be the kind of loving and supportive family that we want to be.

First, we've heard right from Gracie's own words and emotions that she's feeling much more pressure to "make it" than we were previously aware.  Sure, we certainly know that Gracie has a natural tendency to take things a little harder and more seriously than other 11 year old kids, but, we had never been confronted with the harsher reality of the self-pressure that she's experiencing now that she's really out there giving her dream her best shot.  There's no doubt that we (Kiki, Steve, Nicole and I) owe it to Grace to do a much better job of reinforcing to her that her value as a human being and as our child has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that she's our child and that our love and support will always be absolutely unconditional.  We also are going to do a much better job emphasizing to her that the real value of any heartfelt pursuit is always in the journey itself rather than the destination.  Trust us, we are just as imperfect as any parent out there watching this special or reading these message boards and we are doing our best to absorb the lessons that Dr. Phil's opporunity has for us and then to apply them in a way that not only helps Gracie be a happier and healthier kid, but, that helps us each be a better parent and a better person.

One interesting by-product of this experience is that I've been able to have great conversations with Warren about the clear risks of seeking fame for fame's sake versus seeking a deep satisfaction from the the craft of being the best actor or actress (or engineer, or attorney, or physician, or fireperson, or financial advisor, or parent et al) that you can become.  Kiki and Grace are having similar conversations.  We are going to put a lot of effort over the summer when they will both be spending time together here in Kentucky into gaining a perspective on how to have unlimited dreams and ambitions while maintaining a healthy life perspecitve.

Overall, this has been a wonderful, timely and valuable experience for Gracie and for our family!  We'll be watching Monday's show with great expectation and a fixed determination to not let the lessons of this experience go unlearned or unapplied.  The truth is that each of the kids on this show have lots of talent and given the right set of circumstances and a bit of luck, they will each achieve great things in life.  Of course, isn't it that way for most of us in life?

So, we'll all be watching with great interest to see how these great kids perform their own chosen material in front of a live studio audience as well as a panel of industry experts.  To this point, remember that the kids have had to perform material that didn't always play to their individual strengths.  If you think you know how this whole thing winds up, you might be very surprised!  Producers don't like to give away their big endings and great plot twists are par for the course with these type of shows. 

Gracie's already had more success during Part 1 & 2 than we could have ever expected.  After Part 3 has aired, I'll post my final thoughts about the outcome and a final thanks to Dr. Phil for the opportunity along with our congratulations to the overall winner!

Stay tuned, Part 3's going to be a lot of fun....

Gracie's Dad (and Warren's Too!)

hi   i watched this DR. Phil some time ago and fell in love with gracies monologue that she used for the final show      i would love to know that is was

May 19, 2008, 5:22 pm CDT

Follow up on Gracie's success

I saw the show in Australia and was wondering how Gracie was doing .  Has she had any success in acting? Has she become the child star that here parents were so counting on?  I would love some feedback as to how she is doing?  Many thanks, Kate

First | Prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | Next Page | Last Page