Message Boards

Topic : 05/22 The True Life of Marcia Brady

Number of Replies: 259
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Every teenage girl wanted to be her and every teenage boy wanted to date her. With her signature perfectly brushed long hair, Marcia Brady, of the hit early 1970s TV show The Brady Bunch, epitomized the wholesome American girl. But the true life of Marcia Brady, whose real name is Maureen McCormick, is far from the world of lighthearted blended-family conflicts that played out on the sitcom in which she starred. Today she is embroiled in a family battle where brother is pitted against brother and father against daughter. Maureen believes her brother, Kevin, has literally brainwashed her father to alienate him from Maureen and the rest of her family, including his grandchildren. She comes to Dr. Phil desperate for help to save her family. First up, Maureen confronts her father and brother for the first time in two years, and even Dr. Phil is shocked by the outcome. Then Dr. Phil sits down with Maureen and her brother, Michael, to try and make sense of the conflict. Plus, Maureen's father and brother, Kevin, make some shocking accusations of their own. If this group must somehow form a family, then why was its most famous member issued a restraining order? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 21, 2007, 11:42 am CDT

Mr. McCormick

I was a student of Mr. McCormick's at Mingay Elementary School in Burbank, California. He taught 5th grade and he was an awesome teacher. Maureen used to come into our class to visit with her friends and bring us Brady Bunch memorabilia. I can tell you he was so proud of her! They seemed very close. So it is hard to believe that they might now be estranged. I will be watching tomorrow and hoping that they will resolve their differences.

May 21, 2007, 12:37 pm CDT

celebrity favoritism?

I don't believe for one minute that Dr. Phil is showing celebrity favoritism.  I think this may even bring it down to reality that none of us are "perfect" whether we are celebrities or just everyday human beings.  It's good to know that everyone is susceptible to big problems in their lives.  Including celebrities!  I only hope like everyone else who has a bad situation...they can learn to over-come it, and move forward, happier, healthier, and have some peace!

May 21, 2007, 8:20 pm CDT

Outstanding!

Quote From: azadvocate

I was a student of Mr. McCormick's at Mingay Elementary School in Burbank, California. He taught 5th grade and he was an awesome teacher. Maureen used to come into our class to visit with her friends and bring us Brady Bunch memorabilia. I can tell you he was so proud of her! They seemed very close. So it is hard to believe that they might now be estranged. I will be watching tomorrow and hoping that they will resolve their differences.
Man  thats so cool!  Make me want to more than ever what this turn around is all about!

May 21, 2007, 8:36 pm CDT

05/22 McCormick Family

Quote From: maggie78

Maureen McCormick's mother passed away a few years ago - I believe from some form of Cancer.

I was a big fan of the Brady Bunch - in fact Maureen and I are the same age!  Her birthday is August 5, 1956 and mine is August 6, 1956.  Okay....she's a day older than me!

I read somewhere that all this trouble between Maureen and her dad started after her mom passed. Sounds to me like brother Kevin is preping dad to receive all of the inheritence to himself when dad passes. 

May 21, 2007, 9:09 pm CDT

OMG

Quote From: mumkin

I read somewhere that all this trouble between Maureen and her dad started after her mom passed. Sounds to me like brother Kevin is preping dad to receive all of the inheritence to himself when dad passes. 

oh my  god thats  terrible. why does money  do that ot  family members?

May 22, 2007, 5:36 am CDT

05/22 McCormick Family

I'm not sure why everyone is so stunned that even Maureen McCormick has family troubles.  I think she might be making them public for a few reasons: 

1.  To get the truth out... for her family to call her a criminal, liar, etc. in public and private, they are assassinating her character (if not true... we still don't even know what they are talking about).  Obviously, she is a somewhat public figure and to have untruths in the public forum is damaging to her.  Who can blame her for going public with her side of the story?

2.  To help other families... maybe she feels that this is an issue that many face ("elder abuse", accusations of theft, etc.), and her story might help others.  If not her story, then perhaps Dr. Phil's comments and suggestions.

3.  To really get her family back together.  Obviously, things started to fall apart only days after her mother died almost 3 years ago.  Mom died on August 1, and there were papers in her face by August 20th to state she was incompetant to be executor of dad's will, if I understand correctly.  Maybe she feels that a public forum is dramatic enough for everyone to finally start repairing the relationships.

My own family is the most dysfunctional in the world.  I feel her pain and desire to patch it up.  However, I hope she doesn't push to her own detriment.  Sometimes, if you've tried everything, the only thing left is letting go.

May 22, 2007, 5:46 am CDT

no one is being picked favorite

Quote From: nanc83

I don't believe for one minute that Dr. Phil is showing celebrity favoritism.  I think this may even bring it down to reality that none of us are "perfect" whether we are celebrities or just everyday human beings.  It's good to know that everyone is susceptible to big problems in their lives.  Including celebrities!  I only hope like everyone else who has a bad situation...they can learn to over-come it, and move forward, happier, healthier, and have some peace!
  You know i think  that DR>Phil and his people will choose who they think is the best but don't sit back and acuss people of anything unless you know that for sure ok all of these children are very talented and beautifull, so if you are a loving parent  " STOP PUSHING THEM " let them do it on their own, don't get me wrong you can be there to support and give a helpping hand but don't push it any more then that or else you will regreat it, not for your child but for your self. I can undrestand that you want your child to go all the way to the top, but they won't get there with you in there face nonstop, give them a rest sometime, they might suprise you. Let the show you a few move,s we're older their younger and better move's these day's. So let's sit back and see what they can show or even teach us, you just might be suprised, even now day's the kid's are really trying harder these day's compared to when we was younger. Any way MOTHER"S just sit back relax and let them learn a thing or two o.k. you never know they could become the number one model in the world.....................  MOM<S  DON'T YELL OR CUSS AT THEM OR EVEN PUT THEM DOWN, THEY ARE NOT ME, YOU OR NONE OF US,,,, THEY ARE THEM ''''''''KID'S''''''' LET THEM HAVE FUN ........................THANK YOU A REAL LONELY MOM, WISH I HAVE WHAT YOU DO ..................  GOOD LUCK ALL OF YOU YOUNG TEENAGER'S  AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

May 22, 2007, 6:30 am CDT

05/22 McCormick Family

Quote From: horselightning

I wonder if her mom has passed on? I wonder why her  dad think she lies and steales?

Sounds like it has to do with  the father's retirement funds from what I've read about this story so far but have to wait and watch the show to get all the facts.

May 22, 2007, 7:21 am CDT

No shock, people do it alot.

It is not shocking at all to see the problems and how a family member would take

over a parents life.  It is not hard to do if availed the opportunity to do so.

This woman was in show business from about age 6 years old with her mother always with

her, that must of caused soem resentment from others?  That she had eating disorders shows

there has been problems a long time so she needs to get real about how the familiy must have alway had some problems that affected her negative. 

Elderly people are next in line to children on abuse, especially from family members.  Followed by those with mental disorders or illness.  It is a victim being available that so much harm comes to them?  The good part about seeing a celebrity or famous person in these kinds of situations is that it puts the stories, all the issues in it and answers out to many of society.

That is a good thing because the more educated we are on all abuse the better we can be at

fixing so many problems.  It is sad thsi woman got envloved in drug abuse btu it is not the defining character of her now so hopefully her and her brother can get some positive results that many can hear about to use to help thier situations and make our courts more prepared

to accept the kind of abuse this situation has and deal with it for the best interest of the victims.

May 22, 2007, 7:30 am CDT

sympathy

This post is directly meant for Maureen.

Dear Maureen,

I have to admit that as almost every kid did, I watched the Brady Bunch.  But, I was not a huge Marcia fan nor have I ever been one to follow celebrity gossip.  I am about 10 years younger than you so I was at a different age when you were plastered all over the TV screens.   I recently saw you on the Celebrity Fit Club.  I love that show.  It helps me keep track in my own fitness.  I found myself drawn to you because we are the same size and shape.  I found myself relating to you.  I know that from a few TV shows you can not really get to know a person but the one thing that I have found so compelling about you in both of these shows is your need to make and keep peace and your caring ways.  To me you seem like a wonderfully nurturing woman and I am finding myself admiring you more every day.  I may not have cared for you as a teen but I really think that you've grown into a fabulous woman.  The same characteristics that you described your mother as having (when you were on celebrity fit club) are many that I have seen in you in these recent shows.  I wish you all the best with your family and your life in general.  You really are someone to be admired.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last