Message Boards

Topic : 05/22 The True Life of Marcia Brady

Number of Replies: 259
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Every teenage girl wanted to be her and every teenage boy wanted to date her. With her signature perfectly brushed long hair, Marcia Brady, of the hit early 1970s TV show The Brady Bunch, epitomized the wholesome American girl. But the true life of Marcia Brady, whose real name is Maureen McCormick, is far from the world of lighthearted blended-family conflicts that played out on the sitcom in which she starred. Today she is embroiled in a family battle where brother is pitted against brother and father against daughter. Maureen believes her brother, Kevin, has literally brainwashed her father to alienate him from Maureen and the rest of her family, including his grandchildren. She comes to Dr. Phil desperate for help to save her family. First up, Maureen confronts her father and brother for the first time in two years, and even Dr. Phil is shocked by the outcome. Then Dr. Phil sits down with Maureen and her brother, Michael, to try and make sense of the conflict. Plus, Maureen's father and brother, Kevin, make some shocking accusations of their own. If this group must somehow form a family, then why was its most famous member issued a restraining order? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 22, 2007, 12:14 pm CDT

High expectations

Most people "Nowadays" expect the actors to be so perfect, as if they are running for office. The constant spots of the media and, following every move of their lives; it just creates so much stress. The public really misses one very important fact, is that they are humans after all, with problems like the rest of us. Just that she acted in some eutopian series, it does mean that she should lead a eutopian life. Otherwise the governor of LA would be the terminator.  I mean, we all have our problems with our parents, siblings, friends, society. However, I can understand how a person like Maureen would have all these problems.

May 22, 2007, 12:24 pm CDT

Do not give up please

I just want to tell you that you are doing the right thing please keep on going and believe me you are not alone God is always with you everything is going to be fine.

God bless you and your family.

Juana:)

May 22, 2007, 12:30 pm CDT

Scary!

Kevin is scary! I wouldn't be surprised if they find both dad and brother dead when things start to go against them.

May 22, 2007, 12:48 pm CDT

What's really going on here?

I'm 48 minutes into the show and I still don't understand what Ms. McCormick is accusing her brother and father of doing.  Has this been unclear to anyone else?  The video footage of her confronting these men show them to be two very reasonable men.  That could have been my pop and me.  Now, I'll get attacked for saying this, I realize.  So, let me have it.

But ... isn't this pretty much a case of he said, she said, and the "she" happens to be a celebrity?

May 22, 2007, 12:51 pm CDT

On a final note

I don't know what happened but the message went through while I was typing.

My final thought is that individual therapy is necessary in a dysfunctiona family BEFORE family therapy can work because otherwise the members just continue in their cycle.

I watched Celebrity Fit Club this week and Maureen took a couple shots of Vodka (?) before having to participate in a dance competition.  When the therapist tried to warn her about the potential of relying on alchohol to help in stressful situations she rushed the therapist on with Yeah, sure, of course - and I could see in her eyes that she didn't want to talk about it.

The bottom lines is it seems clear that the whole family is in trouble.  If the elder brother IS abusing the father he learned that from somewhere.  The sick person in a dysfunctional family just points to the dysfunction of the entire family - so I don't know how Dr. Phil can make an assessment when getting only one side (well, two since Maureen's brother is there) sides of the story. 

If my other post went through, sorry for being repetitive.

May 22, 2007, 1:00 pm CDT

05/22 The True Life of Marcia Brady

I hope the stage moms from yesterday were watching this episode. Look what can happen when you're a child star.

May 22, 2007, 1:01 pm CDT

Not alone

I think this is really sad, but I am glad I saw this show because the same thing is happening in my family where at age 27 I have been isolated from my siblings and mum because of my moderate success.  I am being accused of even impossible things at this point.

This is wearing me out so much that I don't want to deal with them any more. I got married and have a new baby without them. I hope they come out of their occultic like mindsets.

May 22, 2007, 1:08 pm CDT

This subject makes me CRAZY!!!!

This show has really made my blood pressure go crazy!!  I have now been "fighting" with my deceased uncle's wife over my grandfather and he died almost four years ago and she's still trying to control.  He was "sharp as a tack" and was controlled and manipulated after my uncle's death.  Elder abuse can take many, many forms.  No elderly person should have to feel unsafe or scared by "relatives".  Thank God the neighbors watched out for him and informed me and my sisters, who did not live near, what was happening.   We had a trial that lasted for three days because Auntie contested the will, his testamentary capacity, and tried to say "someone" other than her had him under "undue influence".  We won, but are now having to fight for his farm equipment which she took while he was still alive (with him sitting on front porch and crying)

He died 6 days before he was due in court for that one.  I just pray he knows that he has won and his wishes are being fulfilled (He gave the neighbors the majority of his land)  What he wanted!!!  You go Maureen......stand up for what you know is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2007, 1:28 pm CDT

do they????

Quote From: mimaof2brats1

i truly believe that kevin is brainwashing and abusing his father and blaming maureen for all of this i mean she hasnt even seen them for 2 years kevin is feeding him lies and he is so afraid of his own son its horrifying........................................ poor kevin  maureen made it big you could have too kevin made if u had just tried harder but do't worry kevin GOD is watching

maureen keep your chin up

Do people actually  brain wash each other?

May 22, 2007, 1:30 pm CDT

just happened

Quote From: pinkjet

If dad was penniless then there would be no fighting.

After watching the show..I got the feeling Maureen was "acting" in several situations.

I was stunned somewhat with the fact that she often acts like a weak, helpless women. "They made me feel like I was crazy". Oh please!

I was not impressed one bit with Maureens plight in this. The truth be told I bet she spent a lot of years causing her dad a lot of grief. And if she wasn't causing him a lot of grief that she was disconnected from him. Somehow I felt they were never connected.

As a daughter even if my father was in the wrong I could not do this to him publicly. Heck my dad was wrong lot of times about a lot of things but hey he was my dad and I saw other sides to him too. Love has a way of shadowing those failings we have and you have to have that to begin with to not have this.

This has happened over the last two years. Things arnt that  balck and white in life!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last