Message Boards

Topic : Trying to Quit Smoking?

Number of Replies: 951
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:54:00 am
Author : dataimport
You're not alone. Meet others who know just what you're going through, and together we'll get closer to Dr. Phil's vision for a smoke-free America.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 28, 2005, 9:10 am CDT

Good news guys!!!

OK, so I'm thinking maybe if I put this in red I can find it easier!!! LOL....maybe not though. I'm still having trouble with this darn site. Kindof aggravating. I've got great news though....I went the beginning of the week to the doc. I am now precancerous free!!!! No signs of precancer throughout as well, so thank you Jesus. I am so very happy about that. Dr. stressed again how important it is for me to stop smoking and told me to try the patch first before prescribing wellbutrin. He said 1 in a thousand have seizures from it and so I could be that one and he would rather try an alternative next. So today I quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yah for me....this is the first time in my life I am honestly-whole heartedly quitting and I am feeling good about it. This morning has been a breeze so hopefully this afternoon will pass pleasantly as well. I want to think in days rather than minutes or hours because it makes me feel like I am accomplishing more that way. So, this is day 1!!!! I am going to go to quit.com and download my meter today.

Ann and Shelly..... I hope your vacations are lots of fun. Be safe traveling.... Tray...that sucks about your rude neighbors!!!! I would honk until they moved!!! LOL...my sis does that. She's got 2 small boys and every once in a while someone parks in her space, she just pulls up with enough space to let them out and lays down on the horn....someone eventually will come out and it's usually not the same person as before. I guess they got the hint! I think sometimes though people just don't care and thats the bottom line, they're rude and not worried about you parking where you want. This is probably not the nicest way to handle it but if you have no respect or consideration for me then it seems to lower my respect and consideration for you-which in turn has me honking my horn until you come outside and move your car! I don't know how forward you are but if ya ain't scared I wouldn't try to be so subtle next time and just make it very obvious. Maybe that will help? Linda...congrats on your smoke free life girl...I'm seeing myself right behind you! I'm praying for all you guys!

July 28, 2005, 4:01 pm CDT

starting to catch on!

starting to figure out how to check the messages throught using the numbers on the bottom. it works backwards! hope everybody is doing ok!
keep your stick on the ice!
east coast mario

July 29, 2005, 9:01 am CDT

checking in

good morning everyone..didnt get to check in yesterday..it was my daughter's birthday and the entire day was filled with stuff to do..I slept in today and now I need to get around and start getting ready to pack the RV and get to our much awaited vacation..I could count on one hand the real vacations I've had..we went on one when I was a child, so it's just not something that I got accustomed to..so this one means so much..I'll check in more later..love to all and keep up the good work of being smoke free..I'm almost to rejoining you..Ann  I will quit smoking in 2 days, 20 hours, 57 minutes and 40 seconds.

July 29, 2005, 10:20 am CDT

new

Hi everyone!  I'm new to the boards.  I figured this was probably one of the best places to talk to people who are either trying or who have quit smoking.  I have been smoking for 20 years.  I started when I was about 17.  I have tried to quit a couple of times, but it never seems to work.  I now find that I have to quit now, and it's harder than ever.  It's for my own well-being, but I don't understand why I can't just quit.  It's like I'm fighting myself here.  I guess I just need to talk to people who understand where I am coming from. 

July 29, 2005, 9:42 pm CDT

Happy Friday

hey everyone.I'm so glad it's Friday..my husband officially starts his vacation tonight..we are so excited to be able to 'get away from it all"..even though an RV is a lot of work, I don't mind cause it will be out of my routine..my granddaughter left today and as much as I love her it was time for me to have some time to start getting us ready..I swear it takes two days.  I went to the used book store today and bought a couple of good mystery novels, then got my haircut..then to the Pet Vet store to get my girls some Frontline..fleas and ticks are awful here this time of year..then I went to Target to pick up my current 'obsession' Starbucks Doubleshot of Expressor and Creme..they are so good chilled..I'm hooked on them.  I picked up a couple of sales items in the clothing for the trip and found this hot purse that I had seen at the first of the summer, it's that chartruese green and has the chains and charms on it..it had been nearly $20 and I found it marked down to $4 and some change..couldn't resist..by the time I bought that and some toiletries and things we needed I'd dropped $70..I'll tell ya...$ just goes, but I'm grateful to have some..that's the main thing I'm looking forward to with quitting again, cause our $$ has been tight of course with both of us smoking. Have I mentioned that I hate myself for starting again?  I went out to the grocery store tonight to pick up our regular food for the trip and lost track of time.. my phone was turned off and when my husband came home he freaked, cause I'd told him I was just running down to the corner to buy smokes,thenI changed my mind and bought groceries..rarely does he scold me, but he told me to never do that again...::sigh::  I used to dream of him worrying about me and wondering where I was like I used to do him, now that he gets concered, I get ticked..ya know, ya just can't ever please a woman like me, LOL.  Anyway, I just wanted to chat and say hey to everyone..I am getting excited about he and I quittin together, it was so hard to do it by myself,but at least I did do it and he said I was an inspiration..again,did I say I hate myself for starting again? Anyway, enough babbling out of me..love to all and welcome to the newcomer..hope you find the help and friendship I've been privileged to enjoy here..xoxox Ann

I will quit smoking in 2 days, 8 hours, 16 minutes and 53 seconds.

July 29, 2005, 9:49 pm CDT

Welcome Deb

Quote From: deb4268

Hi everyone!  I'm new to the boards.  I figured this was probably one of the best places to talk to people who are either trying or who have quit smoking.  I have been smoking for 20 years.  I started when I was about 17.  I have tried to quit a couple of times, but it never seems to work.  I now find that I have to quit now, and it's harder than ever.  It's for my own well-being, but I don't understand why I can't just quit.  It's like I'm fighting myself here.  I guess I just need to talk to people who understand where I am coming from. 

I'm so glad you joined us..I too started smoking when I was 17, I was off and on for years, then started smoking steadily at 28 or so..smoked until I was 57..when I quit last February I really thought I had it made..even though the first three weeks WERE HORRIBLE, after that, I really started liking it, my self esteem was higher, but then I started gaining weight, arguing with hubby and on the 4th month anniversary I went to the 7/11 and bought a pack..it's been a month and a half now and I'm slowly starting to hate myself again..not to mention the disappointment in my Granddaughter's eyes when she saw me smoking again..I had tried to slip around and hide it..but then I didn't want to be lying to her..I know what you mean about not being able to stop, but it is an addiction and addictions don't  care much about common sense..they just thrive off of our weakness..hang in there..we're here for you..Ann

July 30, 2005, 8:47 am CDT

Thank you!

Thank you Ann for your support.  It's just what I needed.  I completely understand what you are saying also.  I have 4 children.  My oldest are identical twin boys that are 10 years old.  They also get disappointed when I can't stop smoking.  Just remember, I am here to help you too.  That's why this message board could  be a really big help.  We are all in the same predicament.  Thanks again Ann.  Good Luck!  Talk to you again.

July 30, 2005, 1:37 pm CDT

Welcome Deb

Hi there!  Welocome to the board.  I quit for 3 weeks and thought I could just have one and then be fine, but it didn't work that way.  I will quit again. 

I will write more later.....off with the family this afternoon!

take care all!

Be strong.....(say a prayer for Shelly) 

July 31, 2005, 5:50 am CDT

Thanks!

Thank you Trav for the welcome.  I know this is not the way to do it, but I am now down to 5 cigarettes per day.  Down from 25.  I know it's best they say to quit cold turkey, but I find it easier to do it this way.  I know this way, I run a high risk of smoking the same as before.  I have committed myself though to do better everyday.  I was smoking 25 a day just a week ago.  I think I have made some progress, but I need to do the rest.  I am so sick of this habit.  I am happy that I have these boards to come to though, and I will also help anyone, anyway I can too.  I think it makes quitting more possible when people are quitting and supporting eachother at the same time.  Talk to you soon.

July 31, 2005, 9:20 am CDT

checking in

hey everyone, just a quick check in..we're packing and gettin ready to leave today..so if I don't get back on, I'll say so long for now, we'll be back Fri or Sat, prayerfully smoke free..xoxox Ann

I will quit smoking in 20 hours, 39 minutes and 24 seconds.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last