Message Boards

Topic : Trying to Quit Smoking?

Number of Replies: 951
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:54:00 am
Author : dataimport
You're not alone. Meet others who know just what you're going through, and together we'll get closer to Dr. Phil's vision for a smoke-free America.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 31, 2005, 9:25 am CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

WHen I quit, a few days before, I was just smoking the end of my husbands, he wastes so much so I get the last three quarters.  I found that really helped me, and that was on the Sat and Sun and then on Monday I quit cold turkey.  But I think you are smart to cut down at the start. 

You do need to set a quit date.  A few people on the board have meters.  (can you show her what a meter looks like, I don't have mine going)  (Whyquit.com) The site with all the pcitures and Noami's story is really good for the brain too.  I know it makes me think twice after seeing those pictures.

Everyone has different ways of quitting smoking, and you just have to figure out what works best for you.

I think if I sit on this baord and talk enough I will talk myself into quiting agianl.  I know I will.  I am planning the week after the September long weekend.  (we are going on holidays so I want to do it after that)

Anyhow, time for breakfast!

July 31, 2005, 9:27 am CDT

oops

Quote From: tray00

WHen I quit, a few days before, I was just smoking the end of my husbands, he wastes so much so I get the last three quarters.  I found that really helped me, and that was on the Sat and Sun and then on Monday I quit cold turkey.  But I think you are smart to cut down at the start. 

You do need to set a quit date.  A few people on the board have meters.  (can you show her what a meter looks like, I don't have mine going)  (Whyquit.com) The site with all the pcitures and Noami's story is really good for the brain too.  I know it makes me think twice after seeing those pictures.

Everyone has different ways of quitting smoking, and you just have to figure out what works best for you.

I think if I sit on this baord and talk enough I will talk myself into quiting agianl.  I know I will.  I am planning the week after the September long weekend.  (we are going on holidays so I want to do it after that)

Anyhow, time for breakfast!

(I mean I get the last quarter)

July 31, 2005, 2:26 pm CDT

ckecking in

hi guys,

another week bites the dust!
honestly! the longer you quit the easier it gets!
the secret is that you have to reprogram your brain and learn to deal with the extra time!
keep your stick on the ice!
east coast mario
7M 1W
can't paste my meter reading!

July 31, 2005, 10:59 pm CDT

You can do it Ann!

Quote From: annpar55

hey everyone, just a quick check in..we're packing and gettin ready to leave today..so if I don't get back on, I'll say so long for now, we'll be back Fri or Sat, prayerfully smoke free..xoxox Ann

I will quit smoking in 20 hours, 39 minutes and 24 seconds.

My prayers are with you Ann.  You can do it!  Be strong!

Shelly, my prayers are with you too!

I hope when you get back you both check in and let us know how it went! 

Mario, you are so strong!  I am so glad you can stay smoke free.  I know one day I will be able to say the same!

August 1, 2005, 5:34 am CDT

Just a quick question...

and I'll get out of ya'lls way.....Mario...you're going on a year...so close...I see that your post are usually short and sweet but at the same time, you post...is it because you still think about smokes or you just write to appease the people on the board? I just wonder after all this time you still have cravings? That will suck....I just don't think I can do it if a year from now I still want a smoke!

August 1, 2005, 6:26 am CDT

Quit day

I decided since I have been smoking 5 cigs per day for the past 3 days, that tomorrow I will give it my best shot to quit entirely.  I have found, especially today, that I don't really feel the need to have one as strongly as I have been.  I am hopeful that I can do it.  I am really tired of these things almost ruling me.  It's about time I rule myself.  I also now think the companies that make cigs are total jerks for making these things with ingredients to make you addicted so they can make money.  It's starting to really aggrivate me.  I will take my anger out on them by not going for their scam to make me smoke so they can make money on me ruining my health.  I have tried to quit many times before, but never thought of it this way, so this time I will be successful. 

So my quit date is tomorrow, August 2.  I wish all of you best of luck quitting.  I hope we can all soon call ourselves non-smokers!!!!!!

Talk to you soon.

August 1, 2005, 6:34 am CDT

cravings

Quote From: leasap23

and I'll get out of ya'lls way.....Mario...you're going on a year...so close...I see that your post are usually short and sweet but at the same time, you post...is it because you still think about smokes or you just write to appease the people on the board? I just wonder after all this time you still have cravings? That will suck....I just don't think I can do it if a year from now I still want a smoke!

When talking to others who have quit,  they say even years later they have cravings for cigs, but as time goes on, it is much easier to tell yourself no.  Plus, as time goes by, no one wants to mess it all up and start from scratch all over again. 

This is what I was told anyway from 2 people I know who have quit.

Good Luck to you!

August 1, 2005, 10:09 am CDT

every day

guys don't get me wrong!
quitting smoking was pretty much the hardest thing i had to do!
honestly, i walked away from a pretty much perfect life in europe! why! because if it goes to smooth and to easy, you make mistakes and get cought up in stuff you shouldn't had done in the first place!
I'm in canada for the last seven years! started out wit two suitcases and my dog!
with twenty five i bought my place and with 30 it was paid for! if i put an idea in my head i make it possible, otherwise it is a waste of my time!
the same goes for smoking!
don't even  think about excuses to take one drag of a smoke!
i have cravings!
i had cravings for the last 204 days! but so what!
but everybody has to find their own way !
we are humans, we are supposed to be different, it is our nature to do things that we are not supposed to do! look at the story about adam and Eva and the apple! it was said not to eat that fruit! what did they do, even they knew the punishment!
enough of that!
keep your stick on the ice!
be unique, that what makes life interesting!
east coast Mario

August 1, 2005, 12:18 pm CDT

I agree

I totally agree.  Everyone needs to do it their own way, however it works best for you.  We are all different and that's what's cool.  Everyone has a different way of doing things.  That is why these boards are so great.  You can learn from others.  We are all here for the same goal.  I am personally ready to give it my all.  If we all put our minds to it, we can quit too.

Good Luck to all!

My quit date is August 2.

August 1, 2005, 3:54 pm CDT

Hello Everyone

Well I am back from my holiday.....was 3 days into my new quit.....got into the sauce.....and there I was. Hubby went out and got me a pack. I just finished them and have restarted my meter. I am starting to think I should quit trying to quit. I know that is not the attitude to have so I am trying to shake it right now.

Anyway hope everyone is doing well....I haven't had a chance to read everyone's posts yet....will catch up later.

Shelly 54 minutes and 38 seconds. 0 cigarettes not smoked, saving $0.30. Life saved: 0 minutes.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last