Message Boards

Topic : Trying to Quit Smoking?

Number of Replies: 951
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:54:00 am
Author : dataimport
You're not alone. Meet others who know just what you're going through, and together we'll get closer to Dr. Phil's vision for a smoke-free America.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 14, 2007, 7:14 am CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

Quote From: angelgirl2007

I haven't been here in a while, but I have been using Chantix to help me quite smoking, I have smoked for nearly 39 years. This drug is new and it makes me throw up a lot if I take a whole tablet, but it works for me. I have br oke down 2 times and bought packs of cigarettes, but it has been 3 weeks since I have had a cigarette. I take a half of a tablet in the morning and sometimes the other half at night. I really did this for myself, my husband never pestered me about smoking, he has never smoked. Good luck on hubby quiting.
Thanks for the advice.  I had not heard of the drug Chantix but I will certainly check into it.  Nice to hear your husband doesn't pester you, it would certainly deter from your trying to quit.  And thanks for the sentiment and may have you continue to have the strength to quit!

July 16, 2007, 7:25 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

hey all. Well this is the third time around, and so here I am. im down to three smokes a day that I smoke half at a time. The funny thing is.. I get up at God awful thirty in the morning, dont smoke, go to work, put in my eight hours and dont even think about it. In fact people at work who smoke smell bad to me. But the VERY minute I pull in the driveway i am jumping for my after work smoke. Im walking the dog now, but, that still leaves a lot of time to consider stepping outside and lighting up. Im struggling.

July 18, 2007, 8:13 pm CDT

I'v Been Trying to Quit Smoking For 3 YRS

I have been smoking  for about  15 yrs  now.  I have been  trying to quit for about 3 yrs now.  I've tryed a pill called  welbutrin,  nicatin  patch and gum, regular speriment gum, and keeping myself busy. I've slowed downto 3 smoke's ad day, I even quit for a couple of months during my pregnancies.  And still seem to be stuck with them.  So here I am looking for new idea's and hoping to hear something new to try.....

July 19, 2007, 5:16 am CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

Quote From: della_dove

I have been smoking  for about  15 yrs  now.  I have been  trying to quit for about 3 yrs now.  I've tryed a pill called  welbutrin,  nicatin  patch and gum, regular speriment gum, and keeping myself busy. I've slowed downto 3 smoke's ad day, I even quit for a couple of months during my pregnancies.  And still seem to be stuck with them.  So here I am looking for new idea's and hoping to hear something new to try.....

Hi,

Your first choices of the Wellbrutrin, gum and patches were a good choice. As least you have cut back considerably. My suggestion would be to try "Chantnix", prescription only. Your on it for a couple weeks before you pick a quit date. Right now my husband, a dipper of snuff for 34 years, took the Chantix and it has taken the craving away. He has tried a couple times in 34 years, but this time it seems different, that he didn't have to fight with the cravings as in before. Be sure and eat at the time of taken it. It will make you nauseated.

I myself took the Wellbrutrin, and the nicotine inhaler to get me over the hard spots. Breathing exercises are really helpful. Your lungs are use to more exercise when smoking, and mocking the inhale and exhale, gets you by. And also gum !!!!!. Hope this helps, let me know how it's coming along.

Linda

Two years, three months, two weeks, four days, 12 hours, 12 minutes and 58 seconds. 25215 cigarettes not smoked, saving $4,879.15. Life saved: 12 weeks, 3 days, 13 hours, 15 minutes.

August 18, 2007, 5:24 am CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE THAT ARE THINKING ABOUT QUITTING !!!!  Don't give up and say to yourself it's just too hard. At least if you try, you might discover just how strong you really are. There is so much stuff out there to help nowadays, it's just up to you to try.

When you first start out it's a few hours of rough spots of nicotine craving. But if you were successful those few minutes went by and you survived. Then the next craving came and you tried something else, gum, exercise, breathing exercises, anything to take your mind off of it. And then too you survived. Hard as it might be, it gets somewhat easier and farther in between. No matter how much a spouse or a family member, or friend, wants you to quit. It starts with you.................and only you have the control to make it work. When it gets rough , don't give up on yourself, you are human and it might take a few times before you get it under control. The outcome is your life. Did the cigarette win or you ????????

Linda

Two years, four months, two weeks, four days, 12 hours, 24 minutes and 27 seconds. 26115 cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,053.35. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 16 hours, 15 minutes.

October 5, 2007, 7:51 am CDT

To Gain Weight

New to this message board thing but i"ll try it.  Does anyone gain weight like it's claimed to happened?  I am far from being afriad of that because i'm trying to GAIN weight.  I could use another 20 to 30 pounds on my skinnyness and looking for ways to quit without drugs if possible....don't like the "stoned" sensation.  Thanks.

November 19, 2007, 5:44 pm CST

I DID IT

Well it's been a LONG time since I've posted anything, but I'm back!!! AND I Q U I T smoking in MAY of this year and I only 'slipped' once, so I truely KNOW it can be done!!  I only wish my husband would quit now too!  He says he 'CAN"T' quit but I know he really CAN, so PLEASE keep him in your prayers, I know our church family has been praying for him lately too, so I know he will quit one day, I just pray it's very soon, because of his health.
I know several of you out there  had been writing me on the 'board', but I sort of gave up on a lot back then,
(about 2 years ago or so this comming Jan.), so I'm sorry, I know I was rude to just disappear like that but I really had a lot going on (still do), but I 'TRY'  to handle stuff better now, even though I don't always make it.
For those of yout that helped me THANKS !
I think the "Commit" lozenges are a big help, at least they were to me, and I just kept telling myself "You Can Do It! And They taste SOOOOO bad!, etc.
 So everyone take care and I'll check in later!

Berni

November 19, 2007, 6:00 pm CST

Dear" New"

Quote From: jwerta

New to this message board thing but i"ll try it.  Does anyone gain weight like it's claimed to happened?  I am far from being afriad of that because i'm trying to GAIN weight.  I could use another 20 to 30 pounds on my skinnyness and looking for ways to quit without drugs if possible....don't like the "stoned" sensation.  Thanks.
 I know several people who said they gained weight when they quit smoking, I only gained a few pounds myself, so I think it's possible to gain 'some'  weight, if you ask your doctor he/she might have a few suggestions for a healthy weight gain, that way you will only put on the right amount for you.
I actually have a freind who would be happy if she gave you a few of the 40 or so pounds she gained when she quit smoking in April, (she feel off the wagon a month or so ago and has started her 'quit-program' all over again), and is doing ok.
Keep trying and I know you'll do alright!

Berni

November 24, 2007, 7:10 am CST

Just Quit

After wanting to for a very long time, today is my day, the day, I smoked my last one and have rid my house of all tobacco, lighters ect.
I know its going to be the hardest thing Ive ever done, but dammit I am going to do it.
:)

November 27, 2007, 6:33 pm CST

You can do it!

Quote From: roxannad

After wanting to for a very long time, today is my day, the day, I smoked my last one and have rid my house of all tobacco, lighters ect.
I know its going to be the hardest thing Ive ever done, but dammit I am going to do it.
:)

I quit smoking 1 year ago on Sept. 11. Let me tell you, it was the best thing I have ever done! My brother and I made a bet that if we smoked a cigarette we would have to pay the other $500. To make it worthwhile, the bet goes up $500 every year. Now the bet is at $1000. It really makes quitting a lot easier..but anyway that will work for you......do it!

"Anything the mind can conceive and believe...it can achieve!" -Napolean Hill

First | Prev | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | Next | Last