Message Boards

Topic : Trying to Quit Smoking?

Number of Replies: 951
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:54:00 am
Author : dataimport
You're not alone. Meet others who know just what you're going through, and together we'll get closer to Dr. Phil's vision for a smoke-free America.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 27, 2007, 8:19 pm CST

You can do it!

Quote From: jwerta

New to this message board thing but i"ll try it.  Does anyone gain weight like it's claimed to happened?  I am far from being afriad of that because i'm trying to GAIN weight.  I could use another 20 to 30 pounds on my skinnyness and looking for ways to quit without drugs if possible....don't like the "stoned" sensation.  Thanks.

HI there! I just wanted to say that you have to first visualize yourself as 10-20lbs heavier. Don't think what you don't want but what you do want.

Do you like to work out? The best way to gain wait is to eat protein and lift. Have you tried it? I don't pretend to have to answer, but am concerned to help. What have you tried?

December 17, 2007, 9:38 am CST

I love cigarettes

Hello There, i need you advices cause i'm really scared, cause i tried a lot of times to quit smoking but i can't help smoking, it's just so hard for me

I can't bear seing someone smoking near me, i juse can't hang out with friends without smoking cigarettes, i know it's dangerous for health, but it's so hard

and this is the biggest problem in my life, it makes me suffer, and i don't know what to do

I can bear one week without cigarettes but i cannot bear 8 days without cigarettes, the point is that i smoke just 1 cigarette a day, it means that i'm not so addict to cigarettes, but i can't go to a coffee and not to smoke and my parnets don't know that i smoke, even my sister cause it's forbidden for girls in our society

December 20, 2007, 5:16 am CST

Trying to Quit Smoking?

Quote From: emy2101

Hello There, i need you advices cause i'm really scared, cause i tried a lot of times to quit smoking but i can't help smoking, it's just so hard for me

I can't bear seing someone smoking near me, i juse can't hang out with friends without smoking cigarettes, i know it's dangerous for health, but it's so hard

and this is the biggest problem in my life, it makes me suffer, and i don't know what to do

I can bear one week without cigarettes but i cannot bear 8 days without cigarettes, the point is that i smoke just 1 cigarette a day, it means that i'm not so addict to cigarettes, but i can't go to a coffee and not to smoke and my parnets don't know that i smoke, even my sister cause it's forbidden for girls in our society

Hi,

What I am suggesting, is you take one day at a time. And don't look at the 8th day you can't take it anymore.Find some sort of replacement, for your desire,,,,,nicotine gum,,anything. And just deal with one hour then one day at a time. Before you know it, two weeks will pass and you haven't smoked.  I have smoked a many years and the outcome is not pretty. But I have managed to bring my desire under control. If you pick up just one after you have not smoked, for a few days, it's like you just started over. What might help is, a saying I learned on this board...N.O.P.E.------not one puff ever !!!!!  When you give in to that one puff, it never stops there. Go back and read the postings on this board about quitting and you will pick up some very helpful hints. Write back I care.

Linda

Two years, eight months, two weeks, five days, 12 hours, 15 minutes and 22 seconds. 29835 cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,773.38. Life saved: 14 weeks, 5 days, 14 hours, 15 minutes.

January 5, 2008, 8:49 pm CST

Been there done that

Anyone out there who's looking for a quitting support system I just wanted to let you know I'm here.  I quit about 6 years ago so I know what it's like and I know what the other side is like (non-smoker).  Let me know if you want or need to chat.

Good luck to all.

January 9, 2008, 1:57 pm CST

Understanding Addiction

Dr. Phil,

I'm watching you show about New Year's resolutions and you comments to the lady that wants to quit smoking disturbed me.  Using brain scanning technology it has been established the people with addictions (real addictions) are unable to processes of the brain which would allow their reason, logic or intelligence to overcome their behavior due to the fact that these circuits are being bypassed.

I'm sure you know much more about this than I do.  How is one to quit smoking under these circumstances?  I've been smoking for 40 years.  I have quit many times, sometimes for 1 or 2 years at a time, but I have never overcome my addiction and I am currently smoking again.

Many of the 12 step programs (most?, all?) are about the spiritual concept that to beat an addiction requires help from a higher power.  Frankly, I'm not sure how I was able to quit the several times that I stopped for long periods.  I do know that I have never had a problem quitting anything other than cigarettes, and smoking does have an unnaturally strong hold on me.

I do believe that with God's help I will quit again, but information never hurts.  In the light of the new knowledge about addiction's permanent effects on the brain, what are the latest medical treatments for nicotene addiction?

God bless

January 15, 2008, 10:53 am CST

Qutting successfully takes more than a hug or words of support

I think the common denominator is that for smokers, it is terribly discouraging that smoking is at best thought of as a mild addiction.  I mean "get real," would they suggest a hot-line or a weekly support group as viable treatment program for heroin addiction?  Or better yet, simple supply them with pamphlets or tell them to eat carrot sticks?  Here's the real kicker. Insurance companies, such as CIGNA, don't mind charging smokers a higher rate but they generally don't pay for smoking cessation programs. Any program or support group that focuses purely on the physical addiction and attributes anything else to poor willpower or lack of support is half-assed.  Find some other way to keep busy - what's up with that advice.  Look, I have full-time job that's very stress, I need to keep busy but whenever I stop, I can't concentrate so instead risking my job, I got back smoking. I don't have to find something luxury to find something else that doesn't concentration.  So many people think, particularly those who have never smokes (mostly in the medical profession) that in order for smokers to quite, they simply need a hug, or a support group, or to know they're not a bad person.  Or perhaps they think we're all idiots and don't understand the health risks and if they could somehow make us understand, we'd suddenly stop.  As someone who has watched both her parents die from lung cancer, as someone who has quit many times, who has tried the gum only to get addiction for two years going through a starter-kit per week, who took up the patch and ultimately ended up smoking while wearing the patch, I can tell you that a pep talk by a novice social worker or kinds words in a group of strangers has the opposite effect. No, I think at this point the only thing that will work is that I get frozen and woken up when they have a magic pill :-)

January 15, 2008, 10:58 am CST

apologies for errors

Sorry about the mess up in the middle my previous posting. I just get so ticked off at how casually the professionals treat this subject. 

January 18, 2008, 10:04 pm CST

Trying to Quit Smoking?

Quote From: koolaidemom

Anyone out there who's looking for a quitting support system I just wanted to let you know I'm here.  I quit about 6 years ago so I know what it's like and I know what the other side is like (non-smoker).  Let me know if you want or need to chat.

Good luck to all.

How did you quit?  Everyone keeps telling me to just quit and it's not that easy.  They think it is.  I don't have no support and don't know how.  I wanted to try Chantix cause my aunt quit after 40 years with that.  Since we are related maybe it would work for me.  But, it is too expensive right now and I'm sensative to medications.  I had a head injury about 7 years ago and have not been the same since.  I came close a couple times before that happen.  But, now my brain just doesn't seem to register to quit.  I don't remember that I even want to quit when I wake up.  Then later in the day it's like duh I was going to try and atleast cut down.  I live in Michigan with my husband.  I'm not working cause since my head injury I'm sensitive to everything.  Light, noise, smell, etc.  My cholestral is getting really high.  My blood pressure is really good.  But, I know if I ever quit it will be high.  Heart problems are on both sides of my family.  I'm a very nervous person too so, it's pretty much impossible for me to quit.  If you have any advice I certainlly would appreciate it.

January 22, 2008, 1:04 pm CST

Chantix

After being addicted to smoking for around 40 years I have finally stopped!!!!! I am taking Chantix and have ecut the dose in half after just the second week of treatment. I am a type " A " person that have no desire for a cigarette and have had no stress. I have no insurance but knew the $125 or so I paid for the meds is well worth it. I don`t cough and my hair doesn`t smell stinky any more. If I can do it anyone can.

January 22, 2008, 1:11 pm CST

Trying to Quit Smoking?

Please just consider how much happier you`ll be as a non-smoker,I am. I have light,smell and nosie sensitivity also with migranes. I have Fibromyalgia but what does one thing have to do with the other. They`re just more excuses. Sorry but your health will improve WITHOUT the cigs. It`s sad but I heard the wrinkles won`t go away tho but I hope they`re wrong about that. I going to stay smoke free just to see if it`s true.

First | Prev | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | Next | Last