Message Boards

Topic : Trying to Quit Smoking?

Number of Replies: 951
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:54:00 am
Author : dataimport
You're not alone. Meet others who know just what you're going through, and together we'll get closer to Dr. Phil's vision for a smoke-free America.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 26, 2008, 1:35 am CST

help!!!!!!

desperate for help

i gave up smoking 3 days ago using patches.

really didnt think i could

but i honestly couldnt afforf to smoke anymore

when will it get better?

January 30, 2008, 3:58 pm CST

Can not stop

Hi, I am 42 years old and have been smoking since the age of 12 and would love to stop.

March 4, 2008, 7:54 am CST

Can't quit the fags!!!!

I just can't fathom why I'm finding so hard to stop the ciggies.  If anyone has any tis, I'd be very greatful.  I'v tried the patches and think it just prolongs things.  I would like to try cold turkey, but keeping putting off the day that I quit once and for all.  Cheers for any replies I get xxx

April 1, 2008, 11:03 am CDT

so i quit where is the end?

hy, this is my first time on a message board so be nice ok.

i quit smoking sind november, with patches and so far so good. i am stil not smoking. but i am wondering where is the end?

the first month i walked around as a very angry time bom. i went of on anyone about anything. distroied christmas. and now i learned how to keep all the anger in. my body is, yeh how do you say that?

my chest is screaming at one point and then its gone. my mind things of only one thing. a sigaret. and sometimes shen i need to wait somewhere and i start thinking about it i get this intence panic in my head. all the sounds and voices get real loudand op close and every thing gets like fake. i feel like actualy fainting at somepoints. didn't happen so far, but it freaks me out. am i such an adict?!!! that tought is so embarrassing!!! i am not an adict!!  i feel like i shut start smoking again if i dont want to live in fear all the time!  is this normal? is there anybody how as this experions and has seen the end?

April 1, 2008, 3:27 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking

Hi everyone, I am new here, so it's my first post...I too am trying to quit smoking..

I started when I was about 16 an am 68 now. I've tried patches, Wellbutrin & the last one was Chantax..

I quit for a month & a half while I was at my daughters in NY from the first of Decamber till Jan 12th this year...I am a widow, so live alone & when I came home to Va.  I went back to smoking within a week. I seem to do fine as long as I am places I know I can't smoke, but when I am at home, I know I can do as I please, so that's when the urge kicks in. Yes this is a addiction & it's one of the hardest things I've tried to do. I keep telling my self I want to quit, I hate these thing,  but never seem to get through the second day. I have read where some have accomplished their goal & I am so happy for you. I will be so happy when I finally can say, " I'm Smoke Free"! & never pick up another cig again.

This is the first time I ever went on a support board, so am hyoping this is the answer to my prayers & we can all be over comers of this habit.

MomG

April 1, 2008, 4:16 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

I would like to quit.  Any suggestions?  What I get nervous, right to the cigs and a drink.  I don't feel good most of the time.  Help me out here.

April 1, 2008, 4:28 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

Quote From: momg77

Hi everyone, I am new here, so it's my first post...I too am trying to quit smoking..

I started when I was about 16 an am 68 now. I've tried patches, Wellbutrin & the last one was Chantax..

I quit for a month & a half while I was at my daughters in NY from the first of Decamber till Jan 12th this year...I am a widow, so live alone & when I came home to Va.  I went back to smoking within a week. I seem to do fine as long as I am places I know I can't smoke, but when I am at home, I know I can do as I please, so that's when the urge kicks in. Yes this is a addiction & it's one of the hardest things I've tried to do. I keep telling my self I want to quit, I hate these thing,  but never seem to get through the second day. I have read where some have accomplished their goal & I am so happy for you. I will be so happy when I finally can say, " I'm Smoke Free"! & never pick up another cig again.

This is the first time I ever went on a support board, so am hyoping this is the answer to my prayers & we can all be over comers of this habit.

MomG

Hi MomG,
I also started smoking when I was about 16, I am 58now and still at 1/2 to 3/4 of a pack per day. To me this is good news, I used to be at 2+ packs per day. I decided that since I started slow, I would quit slow. I gradually decreased smoking by frequenting places that I wasn't allowed to smoke at. When I get to 1/4 to 1/2 pack per day, then I'll go cold turkey. Anyway, that's my plan. My goal is June of this year.

I'm no doctor or psycologist, but I think I can guess where part of your downfall is. You say you don't smoke at your daughters house, but when you get back home you soon start. My guess is that your home has a lingering tobacco odor and that is why you go back to smoking. Try this next time you come home, have the house totally cleaned. I'm talking walls and ceiling washed, carpets and upholstery cleaned, everything. It may cost you a little but it might just help prevent that urge to light up.

Trying2

April 1, 2008, 5:32 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

This is my first time here and really want to know if anyone has any good ideas how to quit. I started smoking when I was a teenager now I am 50 and still smoking. I know all the health issuses etc etc but still can't seem to stop. I hope by coming here and getting support from others it will help me to finally stop. If any one has any advice please let me know/

April 1, 2008, 9:28 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

Quote From: trying2

Hi MomG,
I also started smoking when I was about 16, I am 58now and still at 1/2 to 3/4 of a pack per day. To me this is good news, I used to be at 2+ packs per day. I decided that since I started slow, I would quit slow. I gradually decreased smoking by frequenting places that I wasn't allowed to smoke at. When I get to 1/4 to 1/2 pack per day, then I'll go cold turkey. Anyway, that's my plan. My goal is June of this year.

I'm no doctor or psycologist, but I think I can guess where part of your downfall is. You say you don't smoke at your daughters house, but when you get back home you soon start. My guess is that your home has a lingering tobacco odor and that is why you go back to smoking. Try this next time you come home, have the house totally cleaned. I'm talking walls and ceiling washed, carpets and upholstery cleaned, everything. It may cost you a little but it might just help prevent that urge to light up.

Trying2

Hey Trying2,

I've did most of those things...Even took all the clothes out of closets & washed them....I think it's just became a chrutch for something to do....I  used to be very active but had a few set backs the last 3 years, broke my ankle & then had surgery...so that put a limit on things I can do now... I go to water aerobic 3 days a week, so this helps to keep busy. I do think as you said, frequenting places that don't allow smoking & spend as much time as we can in these places does help...or it does me...

MY Goal is for the 15th. of this month....I'm sure together we will all reach our goal...it's just good to chat with people who are experincing the same thing & understands it's easier for some than others.

MomG

April 1, 2008, 9:42 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

Quote From: michelle_rn

This is my first time here and really want to know if anyone has any good ideas how to quit. I started smoking when I was a teenager now I am 50 and still smoking. I know all the health issuses etc etc but still can't seem to stop. I hope by coming here and getting support from others it will help me to finally stop. If any one has any advice please let me know/

Hey Michelle,

Yes, we've all heard the health issues & the lectures, but that only makes us keep smoking....I'm like you...I want support, not a sermon on health which I am already aware of...I've tried all the stuff out there to offer, & am still at it....so I am looking for suggestions also....The only thing I can suggest is, just make up your mind to do it & keep working at it...One thing that is helping me to want to quit is all the money I spend that I could use to do something else with.

MomG

First | Prev | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | Next | Last