Message Boards

Topic : Trying to Quit Smoking?

Number of Replies: 951
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:54:00 am
Author : dataimport
You're not alone. Meet others who know just what you're going through, and together we'll get closer to Dr. Phil's vision for a smoke-free America.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 2, 2008, 8:51 am CDT

Quitting smoking

This is not an easy process.  I am still looking for the miracle drug that does it all on its own.  Unfortunately I know better it is going to take a lot of work on my part.  I have tried everything and my favorite is the patch because it takes the edge off the physical craving.  The longest I have quit was 2 years and currently I smoke.  I have to actually tell myself awful things to make it more of  a motivator.  I joke that if I had a clear chest and could see the damage I was doing to myself I would surely quit.  I am litteraly slowly killing myself and I tell myself that my children would be so upset with me if I died.  There are so many other things out there that we have no control over developing such as other types of cancers, ect.  We do have control over this.  I know that when I have quit before I can smell it on others so therefor I must stink!  Yuck!  I take pride in my appreance and yet don't mind smelling like an ashtray?  It has been claimed that nicotine is as addictive as some very hard drugs such as Heroin.  I believe that.  What I also know is that the withdrawls from nicotine are no where near the harder drugs.  We do not have the violent physical reaction that comes from withdrawing from the other drugs.  In a sense we have it easy comparitively speaking.  I have yet to take the plunge into my smoke free day but have come close with only 2 to 3.  As the days turn into weeks you definitely think of it less.  At first that's all you can think about and then there are days where you are proud of yourself that you haven't thought about it for a couple of hours at a time.  It definitely feels like you are taking away a security blanket or a big part of your life.  But it is a very bad part.  Unfortunately we do not see it that way because we love it soooo much.  At times death isn't even a motivating factor, but it sure as hell should be.  Throat cancer as well would be an awful thing especially if you had to have a part of your jaw removed.  I love my family dearly that should be motivating enough.

April 3, 2008, 11:04 pm CDT

An idea - thanks bay218!

Quote From: bay218

This is not an easy process.  I am still looking for the miracle drug that does it all on its own.  Unfortunately I know better it is going to take a lot of work on my part.  I have tried everything and my favorite is the patch because it takes the edge off the physical craving.  The longest I have quit was 2 years and currently I smoke.  I have to actually tell myself awful things to make it more of  a motivator.  I joke that if I had a clear chest and could see the damage I was doing to myself I would surely quit.  I am litteraly slowly killing myself and I tell myself that my children would be so upset with me if I died.  There are so many other things out there that we have no control over developing such as other types of cancers, ect.  We do have control over this.  I know that when I have quit before I can smell it on others so therefor I must stink!  Yuck!  I take pride in my appreance and yet don't mind smelling like an ashtray?  It has been claimed that nicotine is as addictive as some very hard drugs such as Heroin.  I believe that.  What I also know is that the withdrawls from nicotine are no where near the harder drugs.  We do not have the violent physical reaction that comes from withdrawing from the other drugs.  In a sense we have it easy comparitively speaking.  I have yet to take the plunge into my smoke free day but have come close with only 2 to 3.  As the days turn into weeks you definitely think of it less.  At first that's all you can think about and then there are days where you are proud of yourself that you haven't thought about it for a couple of hours at a time.  It definitely feels like you are taking away a security blanket or a big part of your life.  But it is a very bad part.  Unfortunately we do not see it that way because we love it soooo much.  At times death isn't even a motivating factor, but it sure as hell should be.  Throat cancer as well would be an awful thing especially if you had to have a part of your jaw removed.  I love my family dearly that should be motivating enough.

Bay218, MomG & michelle m I have another idea (thanks to bay218's above post). He says he takes pride in his appearance, but doesn't mind smelling like an ashtray. Drink a can of your favorite soda. Once it is empty, use the can as an ashtray for the rest of the day. The next day, BEFORE you have that first cigarette, take a big whiff from your ashtray. Let's see if that doesn't do something.

Trying2

April 5, 2008, 1:20 am CDT

Hi There

Hi I have tried to quit several yimes before ( didnt last more than a couple of days).

I googled it on the net and found some tips but its all the same ggrrr.

If anyone has done it and never started again please tell me how

I have decided the smoke i am smoking now will be my last..... hopefully, im just going to take it one day at a time.....

hardest part is my partner smokes but when we tried to quit together we drive each other nuts and end up smoking again so im not telling him im quitting im just going to do it.

And hopefully that wil make it easier, im scared though, im not sure i can do this but i know i have to for my own health and to be a better role model for my kids.

June 12, 2008, 1:48 pm CDT

Cigarettes are killing me

Dr. Phil

I have watched many of your episodes and hear you talk about drugs.

Well my choice of drug is NICOTINE.

I am supposed to have x-rays to show if I have EMPHYSEMA and I know I have it.

I have tried everything, nothing works to quit. My Grandpa died in 1982 and my Dad in 2005 of this disease. (I am stupid but no matter what, I cannot stop.)

I am a male of 58 years old and I will die of the same, I just know it.

I have a wife, 2 children and 4 grandchildren. I Love them all and want to see my

grandchildren grow up but at this rate I will not.

If you can help it would be glorious. Can You Dr. Phil????????

THANK-YOU VERY MUCH

Richard B. Ainsworth

June 19, 2008, 12:19 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

Quote From: donotknow

Dr. Phil

I have watched many of your episodes and hear you talk about drugs.

Well my choice of drug is NICOTINE.

I am supposed to have x-rays to show if I have EMPHYSEMA and I know I have it.

I have tried everything, nothing works to quit. My Grandpa died in 1982 and my Dad in 2005 of this disease. (I am stupid but no matter what, I cannot stop.)

I am a male of 58 years old and I will die of the same, I just know it.

I have a wife, 2 children and 4 grandchildren. I Love them all and want to see my

grandchildren grow up but at this rate I will not.

If you can help it would be glorious. Can You Dr. Phil????????

THANK-YOU VERY MUCH

Richard B. Ainsworth

I hear you !!!! Nicotine is one heck of a drug. Been on that one for 34 years before it got the best of me !!!!! I enjoyed smoking, there is no other thing to say about, other than it will win and you will not if you continue. There are things out there and it might take a many tries, but don't give up, all you have is you !!!!!  After that, is what you give to others.

Here's what worked for me, and I want to say I'm one the hardest type of people to quit something, especially if I enjoy it !!! And smoking was my "best friend", or so I thought. I got on this prescription called Wellbrutrin, you take it for about 2 weeks before you plan to quit. Then you have a quit date in mind, the Wellbrutrin takes the edge off. Buy some patches, nicotine gum, or inhaler, something to take you off gradually. I used the Wellbrutin and the nicotine inhaler, to get a hit when needed, after about a month I did not need any of that again. But I kept the inhaler with me for about a year just in case I thought I really, really needed it.  And come post on this board, it so helps to have other smokers that have quit to help you keep you motivated. Alot of the posts from the past have some really good suggestions in them.  They also have "Chantix" , a prescription, it helps to take the desire away, and you are smoking for a while, while taking it. That helped my husband, and he was a dipper for 35 years !!!!! These ways are so much easier than the "cold turkey" way. Which I have tried so many times but was unsuccessful. Hope this helps, I'll come back here to see if you need more support.

Linda

Three years, two months, two weeks, five days, 19 hours, 18 minutes and 29 seconds. 35304 cigarettes not smoked, saving $6,831.35. Life saved: 17 weeks, 3 days, 14 hours, 0 minutes.

July 18, 2008, 9:57 am CDT

Chantix- the new quit drug

I am a 23 year old law student and smoker of 10 years. I like the heavy Marlboro Reds, yes the cowboy killers, up to a pack a day. I have recently wanted to quit very badly. My problem is that I LOVE SMOKING. I like the taste, the smell, and just plain doing it. I have tried Cold Turkey. I do not have the self dicipline. I tried the Patch, which worked for a couple of weeks just because my body was not used to having Nicotine poured into at a high rate. The the mental addiction came back. I relized I was buying the Patch and cigarettes just the same after several weeks. I am on a new method now- Chantix.

I am on the fourth week of Chantix. I have yet to have a smoke free day. I smoke 1 or 2 every night. When I drink, I want to smoke more.

Pros so far:

Quitting (or letting up a lot) has not been an anxious struggle. I don't think about smoking until about 8pm. Self dicipline is not a problem.

Cons:

I feel like crap. The medicine makes me sick as dog (nausea) if I don't not only eat, but eat something hearty. A batch of strawberries or a bowl of cereal is not enough. So for breakfast, that leave fast food biscuits, which is not helping my weight.

So I'm eating my million calorie biscuits every moring with my pill (for the short term, not smoking is more important that weight). That solves the nausea, but I am tired and depressed all day.

The depression is not overwhelmingly so bad I can't deal with it. But I am so tired. I want to nap at work, when I get home from work, and sleeo 16 hours a night. UGH!

My doctor recommeds taking Chantix until I quit plus 2 more months.

If I can get thru the months of symtoms and quit, I'll never smoke again....

Or will I?

August 1, 2008, 7:45 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

It's been 6 weeks today since I've had a cigarette.Thought by now it would be easier. The chantix is a great med and does take away the cravings, however; I am also bipolar  and have some OCD and the mood swings have been out of this world. Right now I just chew the gum, but since I stopped smoking fro financial reasons, it's very frustrating that it's costing me more not to smoke. Tell myself it's only temporary and if I can just get past this in the long run it will be better. That resolve is running low.

I don't like the smell. Even the fact that I have been diagnosed with a block in my artery, my mother died a year and half ago from smoking, and my father died at the age of 53(barely) doesn't seem to make a difference. When will society realize that the addition is just as powerful as an addition to cocaine or heroin? There are places to go for treatment. When will nicotine rally the same support as the other additions that are out there. I hate to give in but feel it's coming soon. I can be an extemely stubborn person but with this it doesn't do any good.

With all my heart and soul I want to open a no kill animal shelter and use the money saved to help with this dream.

Feeling very depressed and worthless right now.

Tomorrow will try the chantix again even though I know this is dangerous for me because of the bipolar and the mood swings are out of this world. It also ,makes very sickf(vomiting) affects my vision andmakes me so mean I could pull someones teeth out through their colon,,,but it take the craving for a cigarette away.:)

Getting kind of tired so will go to bed and hope for sleep. Oh yeah, the chantix also gives my incredible insomnia where I can be up for DAYS. With being bipolar this can put me in the hospital.

Anybody got any ideas? Need some help here.

Bipolarbear

August 11, 2008, 3:00 pm CDT

Trying to Quit Smoking?

i've been trying to stop smoking for the last 2 year with no avail.  i did stop for 30 days when my mother had surgery for liver cancer, but started back as soon as she got better. i need to stop because i feel it really starting to hurt my health, i have asthma and stomach problems.  what do i do?

August 11, 2008, 4:30 pm CDT

HOW MANY EXCUSES WILL I THINK OF?!

I am 28 years old, so that means I have been smoking for 10 years. I actually have a quit date of August 24th. (this is only my 100th quit date I set!). I have asthma, chronic bronchitis depression, high cholesterol & Triglycerides, &  Bipolar /manic depression(which always seems to be my 'excuse' for needing a cig to calm my nerves). I have to quit before I have another heart attack! But I can't seem to do it. It is extremely frustrating!!!!  I refuse to use the patches and so forth, due to all of my medical issues.  If you have any advice to give me, I'd LOVE to hear it. I have no support system, & that makes it harder.

November 22, 2008, 1:44 am CST

alternative to champix

Quote From: bipolarbear

It's been 6 weeks today since I've had a cigarette.Thought by now it would be easier. The chantix is a great med and does take away the cravings, however; I am also bipolar  and have some OCD and the mood swings have been out of this world. Right now I just chew the gum, but since I stopped smoking fro financial reasons, it's very frustrating that it's costing me more not to smoke. Tell myself it's only temporary and if I can just get past this in the long run it will be better. That resolve is running low.

I don't like the smell. Even the fact that I have been diagnosed with a block in my artery, my mother died a year and half ago from smoking, and my father died at the age of 53(barely) doesn't seem to make a difference. When will society realize that the addition is just as powerful as an addition to cocaine or heroin? There are places to go for treatment. When will nicotine rally the same support as the other additions that are out there. I hate to give in but feel it's coming soon. I can be an extemely stubborn person but with this it doesn't do any good.

With all my heart and soul I want to open a no kill animal shelter and use the money saved to help with this dream.

Feeling very depressed and worthless right now.

Tomorrow will try the chantix again even though I know this is dangerous for me because of the bipolar and the mood swings are out of this world. It also ,makes very sickf(vomiting) affects my vision andmakes me so mean I could pull someones teeth out through their colon,,,but it take the craving for a cigarette away.:)

Getting kind of tired so will go to bed and hope for sleep. Oh yeah, the chantix also gives my incredible insomnia where I can be up for DAYS. With being bipolar this can put me in the hospital.

Anybody got any ideas? Need some help here.

Bipolarbear

there is this drug it starts with a b and my psychiatrist recommended that i go on it instead of champix. I had a psychosis a couple of years ago which has meant that i can t take champix either. I went to the psychiatrist and they recomended this other drug. Go to your psychiatrist and ask them about other drugs that you can take which will do the same thing as champix but will go better with a mental illness.

First | Prev | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | Next | Last