Message Boards

Topic : 05/28 A Dr. Phil Family on Fire: House Intervention, Part 3

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 25, 2007, 01:08:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil continues his work with The Dr. Phil Family, an out-of-control, angry group with a long history of infidelities, betrayals and bitter resentments. Melissa’s boyfriend, Randy, joins the family at The Dr. Phil House, but Gene and Myra are not happy to see him. They think that Randy is a liar and a thief, and the reason Melissa has gained about 100 pounds in the last five years. Gene and Myra attempt to talk to Melissa about her weight, but Melissa is anything but receptive. Then, because they often blame each other for the chaos in the family, Melissa and Gene are assigned to bury the hatchet long enough to cook a family dinner together, without help from anyone else. Will these relatives be able to follow the rules? After dinner, a family meeting turns heated with accusations and tearful confessions. Dr. Phil joins the family and confronts Melissa and Randy about their sometimes violent relationship and Melissa’s mismanagement of her health. Can this couple create a nurturing relationship for the sake of their autistic child? Will Melissa do what it takes to gain control over her weight? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 28, 2007, 2:23 pm CDT

What is the

I'm somewhat concerned that there is alot more to this story than we are seeing.  I tend to see some other things going on with this family.  I believe that Melissa's boyfriend has feelings for her brother...maybe I'm wrong.  BUT for a family in "turmoil", the two of them are very "Cozy".  Maybe I'm way off, but if in fact there is something going on there...that would explain more of a reason for Melissa to be depressed.  She has a special needs child, has become over weight, feels she has no support system, and a partner who is as false as anyone could be...

Dr. Phil...good luck with this group...there are some serious issues going on here. I hope the "real" truth comes out.

May 28, 2007, 2:29 pm CDT

Re upset

Quote From: ginachristina

I was so upset while watching todays show I had to register and comment. I could not believe how lazy and ungreatful Melissa was. She blames everyone else for her problems. She doesn't realize how lucky she is to have a child, and to blame her weight problem on her life...well as they say life is what you make it. Her child is in school, she has no excuse other than laziness for her weight problem.
Although it would be nice if her parents could help her more with her special needs child, she is the one who had sex and should have to deal with the repercussions. If she can't realize how truly blessed she is to have Ryan, I am sure there are thousands of people out there who would appreciate the blessing...myself included!

I felt that way too.  I didn't see no signs of the child being abused or neglected.   

May 28, 2007, 2:34 pm CDT

sounds like....

Melissa should never have had that baby - that's what began her downward spiral.

Let this story be a warning to teens who get knocked up in difficult circumstances. Just Say Choice, ladies.

May 28, 2007, 2:37 pm CDT

Throw no stones...

I have a child with Down Syndrome and a child with autism.  Those of you who have normal children have no idea how soul draining it can be.  It's an odd dicotomy when those you love so very much are the very ones who can smother the person you were.  Please think before you write.  We each have our trigger, and just because yours isn't handicapped children doesn't mean Melissa is weak for that being hers. 

May 28, 2007, 2:49 pm CDT

I was inspired by this show

I certainly understood Melissa's feelings, I have an overweight daugther but would never put her down for it whatsoever, I too am overweight, but what Dr. Phil said to Melissa today has truly inspired me to lose weight and be an inspiration for my daughter.

Thank you Dr. Phil for always getting to the underlying problems and helping people to face them.

Thank you for being a great inspiration to me today, I will keep you posted on my weight loss and my daughter's.

May 28, 2007, 2:50 pm CDT

house intervention part 3

I am so frustrated at Mellisa  she talks the talk about her and how her life has changed since her son was born. HEY, Milisa---- GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!! The day that your son was born was a blessing. I myself have a son who has cebral palsy (mild) but he was born to me and I knew from theday he was born I had to take on the role of being a parent. A parent does feel pain and being lost and tired and as if they are doing it all by themselves. It is a heavy heavy feeling. But there are so many outlets out here in this world today. Your son goes to school, why dont you find a part time job, or go to a community program.  There are so many doors for you to walk through and PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM.

I do understand what your going through as far as your son with his autisum. I work with special needs children. I personaly find kids and adults with autism to be so full of Gods spirit. You Melisa can learn from your son in many ways.

When dr. Phil said that your house is filthy,I think that is how you feel deep within. You gave up and you blame yourself for the way your son was born. BUT PLEASE DON"T!!!!!!

Do not feel dark and that your the cause... YOU ARE NOT!!!!!!! God your higher power gave you that child in that way for a reason and only he (God) will know, but your job is to help your son and your own selfbeing to continue to grow and live. COME OUT INTO THE WORLD AND GROW< DO NOT GIVE UP> Yes RYAN needs you..

May 28, 2007, 2:52 pm CDT

re flipout

Quote From: kristatheangel

I just watched Melissa flip out on her family about caring for her son and her issue of being overweight!

I dont see depression with this girl. I think she is angry because she has put herself in a bad situation. And she is blaming her problems on the rest of her family. It isnt her families responsibility to help her care for her child. Disabled or not, it is her child! Not her parents or siblings. She needs to quit pointing the finger at everyone and start pointing it at herself.

She doesnt have a job, she doesnt have a 'life' she sits at home watching tv for 2 years straight....the person she can blame for that is herself....Ooooh she sparked a nerve with me!

I think she knows it her, she just doesn't know how to deal with herself..

May 28, 2007, 2:55 pm CDT

I couldnt agree with you more

Quote From: happimommy

I watch Dr. Phil  as often as I can. usually, I am the one going, "I can't believe these people!"  I have never really connected something he said to my life...until today. I guess this was my "A-ha"  moment as his friend Oprah says.

I am Melissa's size. They mentioned her weight amount and her clothing size too. I live in denial. I have a son. He is 5 months old. When Dr. Phil said 'You have no right  to. . . " and he talked about her excuses: that was ME. I mean, melissa and I are day and night when it comes to happiness and relationships, but I actually knew that Dr. Phil would say those things to me about my weight.

When he said  that she was responsible for her weight and at her funeral she should tell her son she could have changed it but didn't........I lifted from my chair in a state of panic! I went to my son's crib where he was taking a nap and started balling like a baby!

By being overweight, I miss so much already! I can't even swing in  a park with my nephews because they swing doesn't fit me and roller coasters, swimming pools, airplanes, parties, movie theatres are all places I avoid on purpose because I don't like being reminded of my weight! What am I going to miss out when my son gets older? Or will I even be here?? NO WAY am I going to miss another thing!

I do love my son. And, I have to take care of his mother.

Thank you Dr. Phil. You finally got me.  Mark me on your reaction belt!

No more excuses. I promise.

I so relate to what you wrote and Dr. Phil really impacted me too today when he said that to Melissa.

I am going to be working diligently from now on to lose the 100 pounds that I put on myself.

Keep you all posted on my progress.   Thank You for listening

May 28, 2007, 2:56 pm CDT

A little annoyed...

I agree with Dr. Phil that melissa needs to put off some of the weight. The thing that bothers me though, is that woman are constantly striving to be comfortable with who they are and realize its okay not to be so skinny. I dont think she needs to go back to where she originally was, but to become more healthy and contempt.

May 28, 2007, 3:05 pm CDT

Melisa and Ryan

Quote From: ginachristina

I was so upset while watching todays show I had to register and comment. I could not believe how lazy and ungreatful Melissa was. She blames everyone else for her problems. She doesn't realize how lucky she is to have a child, and to blame her weight problem on her life...well as they say life is what you make it. Her child is in school, she has no excuse other than laziness for her weight problem.
Although it would be nice if her parents could help her more with her special needs child, she is the one who had sex and should have to deal with the repercussions. If she can't realize how truly blessed she is to have Ryan, I am sure there are thousands of people out there who would appreciate the blessing...myself included!
I couldn't believe my ears when Melissa said her life was ruined because all she had was her son.  If I had a son that was as precious as Ryan I would be the most thankful mother in the world because God chose me to take care of His "special" angel.  It's not like she didn't realiaze getting pregnant was a possibility if she chose to do what it took to get that way.  She made her bed now she pissed because she's having to lay in it.  Ryan did not choose to be born nor did he choose to have whatever disabilities he has.  Therefore, she needs to choose her words very carefully because it's not his fault that she made such a mess of her life.  The only things you get out of life are the things you choose to put in it. She needs to realize that the the very instant she chose to have sex and get pregnant it was no longer about her selfish desires; it became about the well-being of her son.  If she really does resent him that much, then she needs to do what's right for him and give him to a well-established family that will love him regardless.  I hope realized how truly blessed she is to have him. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last