Message Boards

Topic : 05/28 A Dr. Phil Family on Fire: House Intervention, Part 3

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 25, 2007, 01:08:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil continues his work with The Dr. Phil Family, an out-of-control, angry group with a long history of infidelities, betrayals and bitter resentments. Melissa’s boyfriend, Randy, joins the family at The Dr. Phil House, but Gene and Myra are not happy to see him. They think that Randy is a liar and a thief, and the reason Melissa has gained about 100 pounds in the last five years. Gene and Myra attempt to talk to Melissa about her weight, but Melissa is anything but receptive. Then, because they often blame each other for the chaos in the family, Melissa and Gene are assigned to bury the hatchet long enough to cook a family dinner together, without help from anyone else. Will these relatives be able to follow the rules? After dinner, a family meeting turns heated with accusations and tearful confessions. Dr. Phil joins the family and confronts Melissa and Randy about their sometimes violent relationship and Melissa’s mismanagement of her health. Can this couple create a nurturing relationship for the sake of their autistic child? Will Melissa do what it takes to gain control over her weight? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 28, 2007, 4:16 pm CDT

Monday May 28, 2007 Dr Phil's house

I am a mother of a beautiful 21 yr Autisic Son.  I have been a board member on the Autism Center for numerous years and have seen many women become in the same situation as Ronda(I think that was her name).  She feels dirty because she did not give birth to the perfect child, the boyfriend/common-law needs to get out of her life 100%.  I was married to a man for 27 years exactly like him.  The parents of this beautiful woman are not giving her any support.  In society most people are assamed that there child gave birth to this.

I am a mother a a beautiful 21 year old adult, who has received his grade 12 and is now working full time.  What she needs is support for her child, so she maybe come her.

I live in Regina Saskatchewan Canada and our children are beautiful..........my passion in life.......God made everyone to be different.

Marlene

May 28, 2007, 4:19 pm CDT

05/28 A Dr. Phil Family on Fire: House Intervention, Part 3

Quote From: princessmommy

In the show today Mom was talking to Melissa's boyfriend about buying fruit and veggies to help her get healthier and lose weight. Well the boyfriend said they don't buy it cause they don't like that stuff well what about the child? Is he getting what he needs as a child? I think Melissa is lazy and needs to have a reality check. Melissa is only going to have things changed in her life only if she gets off her butt.

I think your wrong!! Melissa is NOT lazy! she is a very depressed young mother, of a child with autism! I speak from a experience!  its very difficult and when you have no support from your family it's a living hell! She needs love and allot of support if she can not get it from her family she needs too seek help from organizations that will support her and help her raise that little boy the best she can!

its very hard too ask for outside help I wish her all the luck in the world! 

May 28, 2007, 4:23 pm CDT

Quote From: cajunmiss2

I'm somewhat concerned that there is alot more to this story than we are seeing.  I tend to see some other things going on with this family.  I believe that Melissa's boyfriend has feelings for her brother...maybe I'm wrong.  BUT for a family in "turmoil", the two of them are very "Cozy".  Maybe I'm way off, but if in fact there is something going on there...that would explain more of a reason for Melissa to be depressed.  She has a special needs child, has become over weight, feels she has no support system, and a partner who is as false as anyone could be...

Dr. Phil...good luck with this group...there are some serious issues going on here. I hope the "real" truth comes out.

yeah the two men looked a bit too cozy on the couch!   Oh yes she needs a support system like yesturday! it can do wonders for her!  I really feel for her being alone with no support I did that myself for years. it can be a very dark place too be!

May 28, 2007, 4:35 pm CDT

Doctor House Part Phil Show Three.

Doctor Family Fire House Inter On Part Phil Ven Three Tion. I have seen One Part Part Two and

Three but never seen Four Part at in which I will see it tomorrow Afternoon. See you tomorrow--

Afternoon and have a safe Day Memorial aswell. Sincerley Your. Russell

May 28, 2007, 4:38 pm CDT

I have 6 children, and the youngest is handicapped.  If you don't have a special needs child, you have no idea how draining and life changing it is.  To those of you who have said they'd be happy to have a child with those challenges, I can say, without question, that you have NO IDEA what you're talking about.  Dr. Phil said Melissa just has a steeper road to climb-I say 'It's easy for someone who doesn't live 24/7 with the responsibility of :  a handicapped child, takes care of her other kids and their needs, her aging parents needs, and works for the family business, to take care of her own needs and make them a priority (okay, I'm talking about myself).'  What planet do you all live on, anyway?  Oh, by the way, I'm divorced, and my ex-husband has a terminal illness, so there is no child support, etc., and am also dealing with all the issues my kids have with watching their father go through his illness.  I would argue that my road should not be minimized by characterizing it as 'steep'.  Walk a mile in my shoes before you suggest I have no right not to take care of myself.  I keep trying, but also keep having more heaped on top of myself after I make yet another effort.  I'm kind of like Pavlov's dog-every time I get going, I get smacked down with another problem that I have to regroup from, so sometimes I just don't want to start the cycle over again.  M-F I get up at 5am, so I can do 30 minutes on the exercise bike to help with stress.  The 40 lbs I gained during the 2 and a half year divorce, along with the 20 or so I still wanted to lose, just keeps hanging on due to my emotional way of dealing with my life through stress eating.  HELP!!!

My plans for time to take care of myself often get changed due to all the people in my life and how crazy it gets here.  The biggest source is my ex-husband, who often will not let me know until the last minute that he won't be picking up my handicapped son at the agreed upon date and time.  I feel like my situation is unique, and don't know how to deal with emotional eating.......And so it goes.

May 28, 2007, 4:50 pm CDT

Why is he sitting with the brother ?

I cant understand why the boyfriend is sitting there wrapped around the brother. Noone else seemed bother by it so maybe that is the norm . But what bothers me is that they are in crisis and he is wrapped up with her brother.

May 28, 2007, 4:54 pm CDT

I dont think anything is getting solved by getting on Mellissa like that . I mean she is obviously depressed . The boyfriend may have some issues with his sexuality and that doesnt help . I mean he is sitting there hugged up with her brother while she is standing in the line of fire . She needs to drop him so that she can feel much better about herself . She sounds like a woman who has given up on her life .

Dr. Phil should not have talked about her house on the air like that . I just think that embarrassing her does not help . Hopefully he will offer her some positive support .

May 28, 2007, 4:56 pm CDT

Not really..

Quote From: shelly_80

I couldn't believe my ears when Melissa said her life was ruined because all she had was her son.  If I had a son that was as precious as Ryan I would be the most thankful mother in the world because God chose me to take care of His "special" angel.  It's not like she didn't realiaze getting pregnant was a possibility if she chose to do what it took to get that way.  She made her bed now she pissed because she's having to lay in it.  Ryan did not choose to be born nor did he choose to have whatever disabilities he has.  Therefore, she needs to choose her words very carefully because it's not his fault that she made such a mess of her life.  The only things you get out of life are the things you choose to put in it. She needs to realize that the the very instant she chose to have sex and get pregnant it was no longer about her selfish desires; it became about the well-being of her son.  If she really does resent him that much, then she needs to do what's right for him and give him to a well-established family that will love him regardless.  I hope realized how truly blessed she is to have him. 
Firstly, I never stated that my life was ruined because I had my son. I love my child and I would remake all of my mistakes knowing that the end result was my son. However, it is difficult to live and breathe your child night and day and it has not been healthy for me because although I admire those who can make their world their children, I need more to fill my life. Perhaps this is due to my age, I don't know. You will find out tomorrow that I did not have a license which made everything harder. I also wasn't able to find anyone willing to teach me and practice with me. I spent every day confined in a small area that constituted my apartment complex. It's also easy to sit on one side of a television screen and judge those whom you do not know. I have never resented my child and have done everything within my power to help him. He was in an ABA based program but I have moved and am now trying to find a program that will fit his needs. You shouldn't judge too harshly those you don't know because you may be surprised to find a little of yourself looking back.

May 28, 2007, 5:01 pm CDT

bless you

Quote From: cherlyn01

Dr. Phil,

I am writting to you reguarding the Melissa in your house, i am a single mother with 3 childred and also 3 grandchildred, but it really bother me so much that  Melissa kept on saying that her child with autism has her stressed out so much and i heard that so many times thoughout the program, and it really hurt me so bad to hear a mother say that about her child. my youngest child has autism and he is the best thing that ever happen to me, yes i can feel her pain and sorrows, but to blam a child that has no voice that hurts, yes she will have to go though her son bitting and hitting but he will over  come all of  that in time, but for her to blam the way she is on her son, that isn't right. i have never ever blamed my childred for being depressed or angry , but one thing i have learned is i never blamed my childred for anything. i put myself into school, to better my life and my childred's life.  but the only thing that kept me going strong is my youngest child shane ( the one that is Autism) he is the best thing that ever happen to me i don't see him as a copout or for my pain i see him as a blessing GOD HAS BLESSED ME VERY WELL  AND MORE FOR HAVING A SON LIKE HIM

take care

cheryl

I too have a son with autism who is my "gift from God".  I was very saddened by Melissa's reaction to her son.  She kept saying she was bored.  I know I haven't had time to be bored since my son was born - how about you?

May 28, 2007, 5:02 pm CDT

Quote From: cherlyn01

Dr. Phil,

I am writting to you reguarding the Melissa in your house, i am a single mother with 3 childred and also 3 grandchildred, but it really bother me so much that  Melissa kept on saying that her child with autism has her stressed out so much and i heard that so many times thoughout the program, and it really hurt me so bad to hear a mother say that about her child. my youngest child has autism and he is the best thing that ever happen to me, yes i can feel her pain and sorrows, but to blam a child that has no voice that hurts, yes she will have to go though her son bitting and hitting but he will over  come all of  that in time, but for her to blam the way she is on her son, that isn't right. i have never ever blamed my childred for being depressed or angry , but one thing i have learned is i never blamed my childred for anything. i put myself into school, to better my life and my childred's life.  but the only thing that kept me going strong is my youngest child shane ( the one that is Autism) he is the best thing that ever happen to me i don't see him as a copout or for my pain i see him as a blessing GOD HAS BLESSED ME VERY WELL  AND MORE FOR HAVING A SON LIKE HIM

take care

cheryl

I do not blame my child for my weight. If something got misunderstood on the show, I apologize. It is a combination of factors that contributed to my weight, having no familial support was one of them but not my son. He is innocent and has no bearing on me or on any of my mistakes.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last