Message Boards

Topic : 05/28 A Dr. Phil Family on Fire: House Intervention, Part 3

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 25, 2007, 01:08:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil continues his work with The Dr. Phil Family, an out-of-control, angry group with a long history of infidelities, betrayals and bitter resentments. Melissa’s boyfriend, Randy, joins the family at The Dr. Phil House, but Gene and Myra are not happy to see him. They think that Randy is a liar and a thief, and the reason Melissa has gained about 100 pounds in the last five years. Gene and Myra attempt to talk to Melissa about her weight, but Melissa is anything but receptive. Then, because they often blame each other for the chaos in the family, Melissa and Gene are assigned to bury the hatchet long enough to cook a family dinner together, without help from anyone else. Will these relatives be able to follow the rules? After dinner, a family meeting turns heated with accusations and tearful confessions. Dr. Phil joins the family and confronts Melissa and Randy about their sometimes violent relationship and Melissa’s mismanagement of her health. Can this couple create a nurturing relationship for the sake of their autistic child? Will Melissa do what it takes to gain control over her weight? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2007 Show Boards

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 26, 2007, 8:27 pm CDT

chaos

Everyone in this family is sabotaging any kind of progress that could be gained by blaming each other instead of taking their own inventory and figuring out how they are contributing to the problem.  It will probably take quite some time (if at all possible) for this to get better. 

May 27, 2007, 6:29 am CDT

Can't be Saved

For the life of me, I don't know why this family wanted to be on Dr.Phil, maybe just to get their few minutes of fame I guess.  They are, indeed, on fire.....and I doubt that Dr.Phil wants waste his time trying to save them.  Maybe they want their own sitcom......only they're not funny, they're pathetic....all of them.  I wonder if they should all go their separate ways & forget about being a family.  There's nothing in their behavior toward each other that is in the least bit, family-like.  Every member is "all about me".  I think they get their kicks by being insulting, loud,  obnoxious....like whoever's the loudest & rudest is the winner (of what, I don't know....because there ae no winners here).

May 27, 2007, 7:47 pm CDT

OPPOSITIONALISM - RUTHLESS AGGRESSION - SEVERE RESISTANCE

The normal/neurotic couple incorporates communicative-interactive tips and interventions directed towards effective communication, conflict resolution, problem solving and enhanced intimacy. The personality-disordered marriage, even when managed with strategic skill and therapeutic acumen, too often seems impervious to change. Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are: 

Treating Borderline States in Marriage:  Dealing with Oppositionalism, Ruthless Aggression, and Severe Resistance by Charles McCormack 

The Narcissistic / Borderline Couple:  A Psychoanalytic Perspective on Marital Treatment by Joan Lachkar

High Conflict People in Legal Disputes by Bill Eddy

Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss AND Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

There are relationships, marriages, and families that are so destructive the only option is for a person to get out.  Get out with the little bit of sanity you may have remaining.  As painful as it may be, make a promise to yourself to leave. Leave so that you can begin a life of healing and recovery.  Leave so you can eventually learn to live a joyful, peaceful and fulfulling life.

Hope it helps!

May 28, 2007, 9:15 am CDT

There is Hope

There is hope for this family, who are we to say that there is not??!!  Of course it is going to be ugly as everything gets out in the open as it is not a pretty process.  My heart goes out to all of them, but especially  to Melissa. I truly know what she feels. One day you look around and see that your life is not what you dreamed it would be, and you try to eat yourself into numbness. It bites...no pun intended. I hope that the points Dr. Phil is making will get through to her.

May 28, 2007, 9:47 am CDT

Special need parenting

I see no help from Randy  or Melissa with Josh. No wonder Megan's a __ with no life. Helo look what her  life  consist of? Risaing a speical needs child is exhusting. I think the others need to step up and thnk about help Megan with the kid here.

May 28, 2007, 12:21 pm CDT

100% correct

Quote From: kaysquare

For the life of me, I don't know why this family wanted to be on Dr.Phil, maybe just to get their few minutes of fame I guess.  They are, indeed, on fire.....and I doubt that Dr.Phil wants waste his time trying to save them.  Maybe they want their own sitcom......only they're not funny, they're pathetic....all of them.  I wonder if they should all go their separate ways & forget about being a family.  There's nothing in their behavior toward each other that is in the least bit, family-like.  Every member is "all about me".  I think they get their kicks by being insulting, loud,  obnoxious....like whoever's the loudest & rudest is the winner (of what, I don't know....because there ae no winners here).
Amen! You go, Girl. You hit the nail on the head!!!

May 28, 2007, 12:40 pm CDT

???

In the show today Mom was talking to Melissa's boyfriend about buying fruit and veggies to help her get healthier and lose weight. Well the boyfriend said they don't buy it cause they don't like that stuff well what about the child? Is he getting what he needs as a child? I think Melissa is lazy and needs to have a reality check. Melissa is only going to have things changed in her life only if she gets off her butt.

May 28, 2007, 12:59 pm CDT

Help someone who can do good!

It would be nice if Dr. Phil could pick a family who actually would go out and do some good in the world. These people are just going to be obnoxious and selfish no matter what happens here. 

May 28, 2007, 1:10 pm CDT

Have no right

I watch Dr. Phil  as often as I can. usually, I am the one going, "I can't believe these people!"  I have never really connected something he said to my life...until today. I guess this was my "A-ha"  moment as his friend Oprah says.

I am Melissa's size. They mentioned her weight amount and her clothing size too. I live in denial. I have a son. He is 5 months old. When Dr. Phil said 'You have no right  to. . . " and he talked about her excuses: that was ME. I mean, melissa and I are day and night when it comes to happiness and relationships, but I actually knew that Dr. Phil would say those things to me about my weight.

When he said  that she was responsible for her weight and at her funeral she should tell her son she could have changed it but didn't........I lifted from my chair in a state of panic! I went to my son's crib where he was taking a nap and started balling like a baby!

By being overweight, I miss so much already! I can't even swing in  a park with my nephews because they swing doesn't fit me and roller coasters, swimming pools, airplanes, parties, movie theatres are all places I avoid on purpose because I don't like being reminded of my weight! What am I going to miss out when my son gets older? Or will I even be here?? NO WAY am I going to miss another thing!

I do love my son. And, I have to take care of his mother.

Thank you Dr. Phil. You finally got me.  Mark me on your reaction belt!

No more excuses. I promise.

May 28, 2007, 1:16 pm CDT

Lazy, ungreatful, and other words I can't use

I was so upset while watching todays show I had to register and comment. I could not believe how lazy and ungreatful Melissa was. She blames everyone else for her problems. She doesn't realize how lucky she is to have a child, and to blame her weight problem on her life...well as they say life is what you make it. Her child is in school, she has no excuse other than laziness for her weight problem.
Although it would be nice if her parents could help her more with her special needs child, she is the one who had sex and should have to deal with the repercussions. If she can't realize how truly blessed she is to have Ryan, I am sure there are thousands of people out there who would appreciate the blessing...myself included!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last