Message Boards

Topic : Bipolar Disorder

Number of Replies: 6639
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:57:16 am
Author : dataimport

Patients suffering from Bipolar disorder face many difficult challenges. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages. You can also find more help on our General and Mental Health Resources page

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 25, 2008, 11:21 am CST

Thanks for the hopeful message

Quote From: csynnot

Hi, I dont have bipolar but i did have a psychosis about two years ago. I just want to let you people know that there is help with mental illnesses. I have recovered and my illness is now in remission. I have had some support from health workers and stayed on medication which has help tremendously. Dont give up and remember to keep taking the medication. Also for all those people who dont trust the people like psychiatrist remember they are there to keep you healthy, they are there to work towards giving you good mental health. They are not evil or anything. Stay on meds and listen to the doctors is my advice.

I'm glad that you have resolved your issues...however...

Bipolar disorder is not an illness that one can "recover" from...it is chronic, and it must be treated for life...

And, I'm glad that you found a good doc and the right meds...there is hope for us all...

December 2, 2008, 12:16 am CST

Don't Give Up

Quote From: loriforrester

I believe you are a great mother.  I am having many problems with my son also.  He is in jail right now.  I went to court this morning with my parents.  A court order was put on him to take his medicine.  He is also to have house arrest.  He will be randomly drug and alcohol tested and be monitored with an ankle bracelet.  I am in fear that he will break the order and not want to take his meds again.  He is in serious trouble right now and I hope to God that he does what the judge has ordered him to do.  I feel for you.  Maybe a court order to take his meds and see his doctor on a regular basis is the best thing you could get done for your son.  Please let me know how things go.  I will pray for you.

I hope your son is doing better now.  I understand mental illness very well.  I have suffered from manic-depression for over 18 yrs.  It can be very painfull and it can cause much pain for those that love their mentally ill family member or friend.  All I can say is to tell your son to not give up hope.  I have been mentally and emotionally stable for several years now  but it took alot of effort on my part to get well.  I educated myself on my illness and went thru several doctors and medications and therapy until I started feeling better.  Many prayers I have said to God over the years to help me heal.  It took 15 yrs until I found the right medication that worked for me.  I also had to get over my emotional pain by letting go of my anger and forgiving those that hurt me and asking forgiveness from those that I hurt.  I became very intune with my feelings and eventually knew when I was not feeling right and could catch myself before things got bad.

It is a life long illness in most cases.  So he must learn to deal with it and do what ever he can to make himself well.  Only he can heal himself.  He has to want it bad enough and do whatever it takes to become well.  Don't give up!

December 3, 2008, 11:33 pm CST

Bipolar Disorder

Quote From: capfrosty

Hi

I'm a mother of 3 bipolar teens. I have been attacked by all three. They have done damage to my home and cars. They have even attacked their 5yr old brother. We have gotten an education on how awful mental illnesses are viewed/treated by the state of VA and our med insurance. It seems the pass the bucket syndrome is everywhere or they just don't qualify for our service's cause they are not "bad" enough. Meanwhile you don't know what to do. You start to second guess your parental abilities and doing the 'Maybe if i did this/that differently i wouldn't be here" The truth is bipolar is the toughest thing to deal with. Their ups and downs are so intense.

The hardest thing to do is tough love. Some times it's setting very strict boundaries no matter how much they fight back. And some times it means letting them go. I had to turn over my oldest to social services cause she was endangering other members of my family. I stayed up for 30days straight to make sure she wasn't going to stab her sister again. I had to decide weather the safety of all out weighed the 'giving my daughter to a system i knew wouldn't give a damn' The first year our goal was to return home. In that year she ran away over 50 times. Because she didn't meet her goal the state forced us to either take her home or place her in permanent foster care. We had no other choice but to do permanent foster care cause she was not ready to come home. The next year was so different. She was placed in a specialized foster home and made a complete turn a round. You would never know she was the same kid. Her meds are stable, her goals are positive, and she understands her illness. The best news is that we just got full custody back this Oct. She now lives in my house and she's adjusted to her younger brothers and the boys to her being back in the house after a 2 year absence.

While we were experiencing a positive with our oldest or next in line daughter was starting to exhibit her bipolar. We went threw the shes just coping her sister, its all by choice, BS. Then it finally was excepted that she too was bipolar. She has been on the run for about 2 months now. Unfortunately, they really have to hit bottom to want to change. It goes against all motherly instinct, trust me i know! Lucky for us or son has been on ADHD and bipolar meds form an early age so his moods are less explosive. But my youngest daughters' has yet to get the right combo of meds. That is the hardest part of managing bipolar. Once the meds are right then they can reason and control their anger much better. Anger management class are good for them. Intense therapy and a mentor can help.

Do you have a support person near you? We are in VA. There is so much more i want to share with you. More than i could ever type. If you want to talk instead of typing I'd be willing to send you a phone #. Let me know

Traci a mother who understands.

VERY HARD DAY LIKE TOO CHAT I'LL BE @ TOMORROW GIVE ME A SHOUT

December 9, 2008, 2:47 pm CST

Bipolar Disorder

Quote From: sassygin56

I need to know if i am the only one that does this at times and if it has something to do with working nights, and where can I find info on this.I work nights and there is times that at the end of the week on my days off I will sleep the whole day or then some. My soon to be ex-husband says that I am just being lazy (but i am not a lazy person). Can I please hear from other people that may have this problem?
Well first of all i dont think that you are lazy. when I was working during the day i used to come home at night and sleep from 7pm til 8am. I was sooo tired. It doesn't say in your message that you suffer from bipolar or any other disorder but as this is a bipolar message board i guess you do suffer from something. Often the illness can make you so drained that you need to sleep that much. It can be such an effort to do things on the meds that you need a couple of extra days rest. As this doesn't affect your work life, I think you should use your days off to catch up on sleep. After all that's what your days off are for, to catch up on rest so you are right for when you start nights again. It may be possible that the night shifs are causing you to lose sleep so you might want to swap to doing days. I wouldn't worry about what your partner says if you need it you should do it.

December 10, 2008, 8:14 am CST

Thanks

Hi

I'm a mother of 3 bipolar teens. I have been attacked by all three. They have done damage to my home and cars. They have even attacked their 5yr old brother. We have gotten an education on how awful mental illnesses are viewed/treated by the state of VA and our med insurance. It seems the pass the bucket syndrome is everywhere or they just don't qualify for our service's cause they are not "bad" enough. Meanwhile you don't know what to do. You start to second guess your parental abilities and doing the 'Maybe if i did this/that differently i wouldn't be here" The truth is bipolar is the toughest thing to deal with. Their ups and downs are so intense.

The hardest thing to do is tough love. Some times it's setting very strict boundaries no matter how much they fight back. And some times it means letting them go. I had to turn over my oldest to social services cause she was endangering other members of my family. I stayed up for 30days straight to make sure she wasn't going to stab her sister again. I had to decide weather the safety of all out weighed the 'giving my daughter to a system i knew wouldn't give a damn' The first year our goal was to return home. In that year she ran away over 50 times. Because she didn't meet her goal the state forced us to either take her home or place her in permanent foster care. We had no other choice but to do permanent foster care cause she was not ready to come home. The next year was so different. She was placed in a specialized foster home and made a complete turn a round. You would never know she was the same kid. Her meds are stable, her goals are positive, and she understands her illness. The best news is that we just got full custody back this Oct. She now lives in my house and she's adjusted to her younger brothers and the boys to her being back in the house after a 2 year absence.

While we were experiencing a positive with our oldest or next in line daughter was starting to exhibit her bipolar. We went threw the shes just coping her sister, its all by choice, BS. Then it finally was excepted that she too was bipolar. She has been on the run for about 2 months now. Unfortunately, they really have to hit bottom to want to change. It goes against all motherly instinct, trust me i know! Lucky for us or son has been on ADHD and bipolar meds form an early age so his moods are less explosive. But my youngest daughters' has yet to get the right combo of meds. That is the hardest part of managing bipolar. Once the meds are right then they can reason and control their anger much better. Anger management class are good for them. Intense therapy and a mentor can help.

Do you have a support person near you? We are in VA. There is so much more i want to share with you. More than i could ever type. If you want to talk instead of typing I'd be willing to send you a phone #. Let me know

That would be great send me a email at (tx.snoopy@yahoo) with the info thanks again I look forward to talking to you

December 11, 2008, 8:56 am CST

thanks

Hi

email me at  ( snoopy_k @ymail.com ) hope to hear from you soon thanks again

December 12, 2008, 6:23 am CST

Bipolar Disorder

Quote From: leeta123

I am very scared of starting Seroqel as my Doctor has prescribed.  Diagnosed with BP 2 four months ago...............Depakote made me very ill.............still on celexa 20mg and cytomel .025.  I am thankful for my Pdoc because she got me down from 80 mg celexa to 20........much better and not so nauseas all the time.  Now this approval for Seroquel..............I dont understand!!!

How can a med for previously stated 'acute mania' be useful for depression? also, how can decreasing dopamine help the lethargy of depression? I am confused and very afraid of trying the Seroquel even at a low dose, 50 mg.

I allready extremely binge eat and am overweight.  I trust my doc...........BUT, how could a drug that decreased dopamine help??? I am rarely manic and so tired all the time.....PLEASE HELP!

HI, I would ask your doctor about Abilify, im from australia so it might be called appripritzol in the states. It is prescribed for bipolar and useful with mania. One of the good things about it is that it is meant to not cause weight gain. I have been on risperdal which has helped me a lot however it has caused a lot of weight gain which is why my doctor has changed me to abilify. At first abilify made me feel a bit weird and i couldn't eat anything (not a bad thing considering my weight) but after a few weeks i got used to it. At first it may cause you to feel nausea or pannicky but if you stick with it it should go away. Abilify is not as sedating and doesn't increase your appetite like seroquel does. Hope you find a good one and keep at it, remember you can get well as I have.

December 14, 2008, 3:54 am CST

Bipolar Disorder

Quote From: mustbecrazy

I'm glad that you have resolved your issues...however...

Bipolar disorder is not an illness that one can "recover" from...it is chronic, and it must be treated for life...

And, I'm glad that you found a good doc and the right meds...there is hope for us all...

I understand that you may not be able to recover from bipolar but i think it would be possible to become stable. Maybe you wont be able to go without meds but it would be possible to become stable. Something which has helped me is to tell my self that i am well and imagine the doctor saying that i am well. within six months of doing this every night before i went to bed, the doctor said the magic words that i was well. I am certianly not saying that this is likely to happen to everybody who does this but it did help me. Somehow you can find a way to stay well. Stay on meds and listen to what your doctor has to say.

December 14, 2008, 6:10 pm CST

Snoopy sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Quote From: snoopyks2681

email me at  ( snoopy_k @ymail.com ) hope to hear from you soon thanks again

Hey,

I Emailed you today. Just call or email me when you can. I'm so sorry you had a bad week last week. I'd love to talk to you about it.

Can't wait to hear from you. Keep your head held high. You will get through it.

Traci

December 15, 2008, 1:32 pm CST

Why go on

I am a 49 year old male with MS, Diabetic, major depression. Who can no longer deal with my wife her kids or my life. I have no family ( I have not talked to my parents or brothers or sister) for 5 years. My 2 children really have nothing to do with me. My wife is making harder and harder for me to go on. I have no where to go no family no friends. I am also disabled and live on Social Security.I do not know why I go on.

First | Prev | 654 | 655 | 656 | 657 | 658 | 659 | 660 | 661 | 662 | 663 | Next | Last