Message Boards

Topic : Bipolar Disorder

Number of Replies: 6639
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:57:16 am
Author : dataimport

Patients suffering from Bipolar disorder face many difficult challenges. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages. You can also find more help on our General and Mental Health Resources page

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 16, 2008, 4:16 am CST

snoopy

Quote From: capfrosty

Hey,

I Emailed you today. Just call or email me when you can. I'm so sorry you had a bad week last week. I'd love to talk to you about it.

Can't wait to hear from you. Keep your head held high. You will get through it.

Traci

Hey

The two emails you gave me came back as failed delivery. Here is mine. capfrosty@yahoo.com

Hope to hear from u soon

traci

December 16, 2008, 4:34 am CST

Don't Give Up!

Quote From: jfitz78

I am a 49 year old male with MS, Diabetic, major depression. Who can no longer deal with my wife her kids or my life. I have no family ( I have not talked to my parents or brothers or sister) for 5 years. My 2 children really have nothing to do with me. My wife is making harder and harder for me to go on. I have no where to go no family no friends. I am also disabled and live on Social Security.I do not know why I go on.

Hi,

Don't give up. It may seem like the world as you know it is dieing right now but once you're gone, there are no take backs. All those who are not talking to you now will be wishing for the chance to tell you something. Counseling would be good for you even if the others won't go. Start managing your depression first then work on bettering your relationships.

I myself have Diabetes, Hypertention, Factor 5 Lieden which is a genetic blood clotting disorder, and now I just found out i have MS. And if that's not enough I have 4 kids with ADHD and 3 of them are Bipolar, and the youngest is deaf in one ear and can't hear high pitched sounds in the other ear.

My girls have given me a run for my money. There were times i didn't want to go on. I even spent 2 months in a psych ward getting ects for my major depression. Every life is worth someting. If you feel so bad please get help. It does get better. You may not see that now but it does.

Your friend Traci

December 16, 2008, 12:29 pm CST

best combination yet

Quote From: dcheyd

Hello Dr. Phil,
I am contacting you as a last resort. I currently suffer from Bi-Polar, PTSD, anxiety, and depresion. I have been hospitalised several times for suicide and due to the fact that I have no health insurance and am unemployed this only makes getting treatment that much harder.

In my last episode I got violent due to hopelessness and tried to hurt the one person who has stuck by me through the whole thing. I love this women very much and want to spend my life with her. She has not given up on me and refuses to do so. She knows I am capable of great things as I have been in the past.

My story began when hurricane Katrina hit New Oreleans, my hometown. I was living in Virginia at he time and took in my whole family and supported them them for two years. Because of this, I lost my marriage, my home and everything else I owned. I think it is important to mention that at the time I owned my own business making upwards of $200,000 a year. I now am on food stamps and have to reley on others to survive.

I ave been trying to tap into the system for assistance but with little help. Even getting my medication has been a struggle. The only thing that keeps me going is the love and  conpassion of  a good woman who fails to give to give up on me! She does see the good in me and the positive effect I have had on her and her family.

Dr.Phil, I am not looking for a hand out but rather to draw attention to Bi-Poloar disorder, I have been told by a judge the a person with my condition has no right to have a family. I disagree, it is the support of family and loved ones that help people like me. And if i can have no family and no support from the system what is the point in continuing to live. How do I ever get well and acheive happiness? I pray that this message reaches you and that you can help. My goal is to start a non-profit organization to draw attention to this problem. Please, I beg you for help.. there are so many of us out there that are dealing with this problem and I want to help! I do not do drugs or drink alcohol and have been an upstanding member of society but have found myself due to circumstances at the lowest point in my life. I take full responsibility for my actions but am at the lowest point in my life with nowhere to turn...Please help me turn all of this negativity into something positive. My last suicide attempt left me on Life Support for 2 days....I was thankful for the prayers of my church and the Pastors wife who came to pray for me...

Sincerley,
Donald H

hi! i am a combination of illneses, i say the assorted amount of choices, from psychitz, to bi-polar, to thought disorder. and i hope that i did not jar or scare my tdoc last week, but it seemed so. which we are going to speak on on this next wednesday at 1pm, every wednesday, she says until i don't need it or if it becomes a crutch, in which, i would see it before it happened to. i am on lorazapam, klonypam, i take seroquel in two forms. among some for other verious reasons. i usually don't have pain, except the last month, my thumb, is full of author, and my doctor put me on celebrex, now 6 days, and i can stretch my thumb out, but apon awakening, i must pry my hand open. i cry it hurts so badly.

anyway, the meds i take now to keep me being nice and able to do regular tasks, my dr. says my pdoc has given me a great combination of meds. i felt so good from hearing that, you can't get much better.

we have a medical company who comes to see my 84 yo mom every week, and they say no matter who, if anyone wants to differ about how i care for my mom, to ask them, and i felt so good. no other daughter could be any better with what we have to her mom, than i am as a daughter, to my mom.

now, i was going to write to my congressman, the one from Ennis, Texas. Joe Barton, and ask him if he might help me and Mom get a desent offer on an amount of rent to pay, since the Ike and Katrna have FROZEN our SECTION8, we have been out and around Ellis and Navarro counties searching for the last 4 months, to find a suitable appartment. but if we qualify, it happens when we are not able, we  were able once but they called back that i had a bad rent history, but i have been right here for the last 18 years. this place is not suitable anymore. there is so much wrong with it and it is so out of range to the places we need access to.  i mean, she has her own room, and bath, and mine is on the other side of the kitchen. but we have no carpet, or linolium. the electricity is less than is needed. we are cold now, with three and more layers of clothes on, to save the electricity.  three months ago, the hot water heater broke to give us a 571 waterbill and a 242 gas bill. the community services paid the gas for us bless their hearts, and we are paying a 100 over every water bill amount each month, so we don't qualify to have a deposit if needed. so i have gotten absolutely tired now. keeping up with all the paperwork is breathless.  i have not rented anywhere in over 18 years.

i love my mom with all i can and she is the best to me.  if you have any ideas, we sure could listen.  i promise, if we didn't really need the help, i would not ask. when, or if anything happens to mom, i will then be kicked out from loss of being able to continue to mantain. and the landlord said to mom, that if she were not here, he would not of fixed my hot water heater, and i would be forced to be homeless. he said if i could give him ten thousand, i could have it, and then i could get help on the taxes to keep up the place. otherwise, i don't know what to do if we are to stay healthy or if not. i pray, we go to church at NEW BEGINNINGS every week, and i am really serious about if we can fine a reasonable home.

i always am told never to ask for any kind of help like this, but i get so nervous, and depressed, i need to know what is going to happen.  we have registered at 6 or so places. three called back, and we went so far as to get all the utilities changed over, then the rent history came back on us, and we never rented except over 18 years ago.

i try to stay comfy, but what happens if he wants us out? he won't talk normally to us.

seriously, Merilus

January 3, 2009, 5:46 am CST

Bipolar Son 15 years old in lockup

I have a 15year old son the had some problems with the law this summer. First he tried to kill himself with a butcher knife and then he tried to kill me (dad). The final crime in a 3 week period was 1st and 2nd degree CSC. He has RAD, ODD, ADHD and now I suspect Bipolar. I adopted him at age 5. He was a real mess. They told me later that if I would not have adopted him, he would have been sent to an institution. I managed to keep him off the law inforcement radar for 10 years. He did have his share of problems in school and in the neighborhood and we were often in conflict situations. This summer he was in drivers education and  had a job making pizzas. He also wanted to go off his med (one for adhd) and the doctor and I agreed. He had some money in his pocket and I was trying to give him some freedom that I thought a fifteen year old should have. He started to drink several energy drinks. On the night of the crime, he said that he drank 9. He did not come home when he said he was going to. I went looking, did not find him and then I waited. I got the call that no parent ever wants to get. The call telling me that he was involved in the CSC. I knew that his life, as we knew it, was over. The next five months were  a real living nighmare! I expected that because he was once a foster child and a person with a history of mental/emotional problems, that the courts would take this into consideration and help this child. WRONG! What we got is a court that treated him as a normal adult. Yes an adult! Because he was an adult, in the eyes of the court, I was not told any information about what was going on.......what a nightmare. I can only think of one situation that would be worse.....to find out that your child was killed. Twice I had to get him out of the county, adult jail. He now has pleaded guilty to 1st and 2nd degree CSC. He will be sent to treatment for his sex crime. I know that his core problems are RAD (reactive attatchment disorder) and most likely Bipolar. What has been really amazing to me through this process is that there is very little help for these children and their familys. I have asked and begged for help everwere. His court appt. lawyer was a joke. There was no independent thinking on the part of the three judges that worked on this case. Now we wait for placement in a treatment facility. My son will be a felon and a sex offender for the rest of his life. Does the punishment fit the crime? If you have children with Bipolar, RAD or any serious behavioral disorders, get help now! The justice system will chew your child up and spit him/her out!  Thanks for reading this.

January 27, 2009, 5:59 pm CST

sad all the time

I have had bipolar ever since I was little my family noticed it but it went undiagnosed until I turned 19. I have done a lot of bad things when I was younger a lot of them I dont really understand what would make me do them and I regret it very much. I have burned some bridges. When I was 18 I talked to some guy on the phone and 2 months later I was moving to California. We used to fight a lot and he became abusive so much that the cops came and I left and then jumped into a quicky marriage and then 1 month later found out I was pregnant with my only child. My husband and I fight a lot because of my bipolar I have really bad mood swings. One minute I will be really happy and then get angry, then sad, and then happy again. It always comes out around my family and my husband and sometimes even when I am in public. I really hate having this disease it is ruining my life! Lately I have not really had the mood swings it has been more of the depression. I dont know what to do with myself I just feel like curling up in a ball and not coming out until next year.

January 27, 2009, 6:03 pm CST

forgot one thing

Quote From: sw33tlipz21

I have had bipolar ever since I was little my family noticed it but it went undiagnosed until I turned 19. I have done a lot of bad things when I was younger a lot of them I dont really understand what would make me do them and I regret it very much. I have burned some bridges. When I was 18 I talked to some guy on the phone and 2 months later I was moving to California. We used to fight a lot and he became abusive so much that the cops came and I left and then jumped into a quicky marriage and then 1 month later found out I was pregnant with my only child. My husband and I fight a lot because of my bipolar I have really bad mood swings. One minute I will be really happy and then get angry, then sad, and then happy again. It always comes out around my family and my husband and sometimes even when I am in public. I really hate having this disease it is ruining my life! Lately I have not really had the mood swings it has been more of the depression. I dont know what to do with myself I just feel like curling up in a ball and not coming out until next year.

Oh ya I forgot to mention that my husband thinks that I am making it all up and that I just want to be mean

January 27, 2009, 7:24 pm CST

end of my rope guys.

does anyone know if it's possible to go to a walk in clinic to change your anti depressants?

I ask because it is next to impossible to get to my doctor, but I'm running out of options..

January 28, 2009, 2:40 pm CST

Hello

Quote From: anna_boo

does anyone know if it's possible to go to a walk in clinic to change your anti depressants?

I ask because it is next to impossible to get to my doctor, but I'm running out of options..

If you are at the end of your rope, then I guess going to a walk in clinic is worth a try.  You really need to find a good psychiatrist though.  Why is it so hard to see your doctor?  If you have seen your doc recently, you might be able to call him/her and get the script changed over the phone.  Are you on a mood stabilizer along with your antidepressant?

I wish you well.

January 28, 2009, 2:43 pm CST

Hello

Quote From: sw33tlipz21

You didn't mention if you were on meds.  It's alomost impossible, in my opinion, to live with this illness without some help with medication.  Take care of yourself.

January 30, 2009, 6:22 am CST

scared and feel alone

how can anyone live with this bipolar  it is very hard to day to day life let alone yourself upkeep. i don't know what to do anymore

First | Prev | 655 | 656 | 657 | 658 | 659 | 660 | 661 | 662 | 663 | Next | Last