Message Boards

Topic : Bipolar Disorder

Number of Replies: 6639
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:57:16 am
Author : dataimport

Patients suffering from Bipolar disorder face many difficult challenges. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages. You can also find more help on our General and Mental Health Resources page

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 23, 2009, 9:37 am CST

why no one can help me

i dont understand y they have crisis centers and mental health clinics when i have been calling them for 2 days and they dont even have a dr on duty... i have 2 small kids one home sick what am i supposed to do now

February 23, 2009, 9:42 am CST

Bipolar Disorder

how am i to make it through my day when i can't make it through the past 5 mins and now i have my 2 yr old asking mommy what's wrong cuz i can't stop crying

February 23, 2009, 9:46 am CST

Call 911

Quote From: tigergurl2105

how am i to make it through my day when i can't make it through the past 5 mins and now i have my 2 yr old asking mommy what's wrong cuz i can't stop crying

Call 911 and go to the hospital if you need to!!!!!!  Sometimes a trip to the hospital is needed to get you on the path to recovery.

Please take care of yourself.

February 23, 2009, 9:48 am CST

Welcome to the board.

Quote From: wowmomma

My husband is bi-polar and I'm interested in the support.
I was hoping that another "wife" would respond to your post.  I struggle with bipolar II and can answer any questions that you have regarding dealing with this illness. 

February 23, 2009, 9:52 am CST

Can you call another health clinic?

Quote From: tigergurl2105

i dont understand y they have crisis centers and mental health clinics when i have been calling them for 2 days and they dont even have a dr on duty... i have 2 small kids one home sick what am i supposed to do now

Is there another clinic in your area that you could call?  Get out your phone book and start calling all the clinics and psychiatrists to find an appointment for you.  Do you have a friend that could come over and help with your children?  And like I said in my previous post, call 911 if you need to.

Take care of yourself.  Things will get better, even if it doesn't seem like it.

March 1, 2009, 11:52 pm CST

Bipolar/raging against my children..need help

I came here looking for the "panic button" that I remembered Dr. Phil saying he would have on the home page a while back when Dr. Lawliss was on the show, I believe it was a show about anger and parenting. I needed that tonight, and I need some advice. Counting from one to ten has never worked for me- I don't seem to see or feel any signs that I am about to lose it, I just do. I go from zero- full blown 100 mile an hour rage in seconds with my kids when they are fighting. (they are 9 and 8) My husband left 6 months ago, and it worsened a lot since then, and it seems that the pervailing sadness and hopelessness I feel in the back of my mind, all the time, comes out at them and I feel AWFUL afterwards. I don't hit them but I have come awfully close.What I do is SCREAM at them, this is hard to admit, but even right in their faces, and I have grabbed their shoulders and felt so much like throwing them. Of course I know this is SO wrong, and I don't mean to do this to them. I also have bipolar disorder and am taking lithium daily to control it. I have had this rage my entire life and have always felt the need to get it out, either by slamming doors, throwing something, yelling, crying, whatever. I feel like a walking timebomb.

PLEASE help. I am too afraid to seek help from anybody in person as I am sure they will try to take my kids away and I don't think that's what is best for them. I just need some help, and I hate myself for treating them this way.

March 2, 2009, 9:34 am CST

Don't be afraid to get some help.

Quote From: charsage

I came here looking for the "panic button" that I remembered Dr. Phil saying he would have on the home page a while back when Dr. Lawliss was on the show, I believe it was a show about anger and parenting. I needed that tonight, and I need some advice. Counting from one to ten has never worked for me- I don't seem to see or feel any signs that I am about to lose it, I just do. I go from zero- full blown 100 mile an hour rage in seconds with my kids when they are fighting. (they are 9 and 8) My husband left 6 months ago, and it worsened a lot since then, and it seems that the pervailing sadness and hopelessness I feel in the back of my mind, all the time, comes out at them and I feel AWFUL afterwards. I don't hit them but I have come awfully close.What I do is SCREAM at them, this is hard to admit, but even right in their faces, and I have grabbed their shoulders and felt so much like throwing them. Of course I know this is SO wrong, and I don't mean to do this to them. I also have bipolar disorder and am taking lithium daily to control it. I have had this rage my entire life and have always felt the need to get it out, either by slamming doors, throwing something, yelling, crying, whatever. I feel like a walking timebomb.

PLEASE help. I am too afraid to seek help from anybody in person as I am sure they will try to take my kids away and I don't think that's what is best for them. I just need some help, and I hate myself for treating them this way.

You really should contact your psychiatrist and tell him/her about your rage issues.  He/she may be able to prescribe a med that would help you.

Until then, it may help to remove yourself from the situtation when you feel angry.  Pick something to do everytime when anger strikes; whether you take a walk, exercise, meditate, or go to your room and watch TV.    Give yourself a time out to cool down.  Depending on your children's ages, it may be good to sit down and talk with them.  Apologize for your anger and tell them you are working on controlling it.

Maybe someone else will jump in.  I wish you and your family well.

March 3, 2009, 9:16 am CST

coping

I spend so much time hiding whats really going on inside, sometimes I wonder whom I'm trying to fool. My Self, or them. I watch how my depressions and or mania effect my wife and 4 small children. I sometimes believe they would be better off without me, as it is getting harder each day to cope with this disorder.

It will be my 3rd year this may since I was diagnosed with this curse.  Hard to explain it but its like everything works but me, my mind is my greatest foe, I can not run hide or escape it. They try to pump me up full of the meds, and only makes it worse.  Which leaves me no where to turn.

I feel for those whom are seeing a loved one go through this mess, as it seems to just get easier not better. Any of the old crew still posting, or reading if so God Bless and take care

The Boy

March 5, 2009, 3:50 pm CST

Employers do not like people with depression or bipolar disorder

I was recently fired from my job due to my emotional problems.  Luckily, they didn't know it was bi-polar disorder.  They knew I was depressed and stressed out.  I also have a physical disabiity - I fell down the basement stairs two years ago.  My front-end manager told me that depression is a choice - I chose to be depressed.  My employer was a major hardware chain located in Mooresville, North Carolina.  My store was located near the Canadian border.  I am sure he didn't like me because I was not a meek, mild person.  I am a little bit more like Hillary Rodham Clinton.  They kept closing down returns early, no cashier on the front line, and I was answering the phone.  I asked for more money, a better schedule, etc.  I told them I could not do the job because I was stressed out.  Their answer was to make my schedule worse, tell me how much they were paying me and just keep pressuring me, yelling at me, and harassing me.  I finally had a melt down and said a few things I shoudln't.  I got fired for willful misconduct, which means I cannot collect unemployment insurance.  They say they have a verification line, but knowing my front-end manager and how vindictive he can be, I cannot trust that I am not labeled "not rehirable".   Employees need to know that their behavior can be monitored if you are not on company premises, like if you send an e-mail with a vulgar word in it to a company not associated with your employer, you can get written up final for things you didn't do and you violate company policy if you spread rumors.  Read your company policies.  This willful misconduct thing is the new way for companies to get out of paying unemployment insurance, especially for disabled and older employees.

April 4, 2009, 9:27 pm CDT

this really sucks

I wish that for one moment the racing thoughts would just stop.  I need some peace and quiet.  I was trying to explain it today to my mother and she made me feel like I was a two year old.  Family do not seem to understand what you go through each day.  You can not concentrate on tasks that you want to get done.  I have finally found that music is a good way to cover up the thoughts.  I wish they would find medications that would not take such a toll on the body.

First | Prev | 657 | 658 | 659 | 660 | 661 | 662 | 663 | Next | Last