Message Boards

Topic : Bipolar Disorder

Number of Replies: 6639
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:57:16 am
Author : dataimport

Patients suffering from Bipolar disorder face many difficult challenges. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages. You can also find more help on our General and Mental Health Resources page

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 8:29 am CDT

smart a**e

yes i guess i should quit trying to be a smarty pants i doesn't seem to work

i don't think the moderators can put up with my experimentaly playing

But for the record moon or someone else started it !!!!!!!

Now i'm not being bitchy moody or personal so i hope i don't offend anyone - faith moon or any others.

Where is rockit, kupkakes, shady, enigma, and anyone else >>>>>

oh and i too hear from em and she is doing ok - well ok in bp terms which could mean anything LOL

Oh and a HUGE THANKYOU TO FAITH for the book she posted me USA to AUS ha same letters different order!!!!!! god i told you i was clever LOL

off to bed for me - attempt 3, hope all are fine

oh Kalie - Hay whats up, hopefully hay LOL

July 25, 2005, 8:33 am CDT

who started it

i don't mind your tricks at least you make me laugh.

July 25, 2005, 8:39 am CDT

Storm...

yes i guess i should quit trying to be a smarty pants i doesn't seem to work

i don't think the moderators can put up with my experimentaly playing

But for the record moon or someone else started it !!!!!!!

Now i'm not being bitchy moody or personal so i hope i don't offend anyone - faith moon or any others.

Where is rockit, kupkakes, shady, enigma, and anyone else >>>>>

oh and i too hear from em and she is doing ok - well ok in bp terms which could mean anything LOL

Oh and a HUGE THANKYOU TO FAITH for the book she posted me USA to AUS ha same letters different order!!!!!! god i told you i was clever LOL

off to bed for me - attempt 3, hope all are fine

oh Kalie - Hay whats up, hopefully hay LOL

You make me laugh, now quit being bitchy and moody, I know it is late  over there!! Not an excuse :)))))))))))

goodnight Tam

July 25, 2005, 9:31 am CDT

AUST

by the way, in AMERICA, ARSE is not a swear word, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 25, 2005, 9:40 am CDT

O is that what A**E is...

by the way, in AMERICA, ARSE is not a swear word, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silly me I was wondering what she was bleeping... yes ARSE not a swear word here :))) roflmao!!

Tammy

July 25, 2005, 9:55 am CDT

No prob...

Welcome to the board. We are all struggling right now as it is new, so please be patient with us :)

My daughter is 14 and is dx'd with bp2, ptsd, and gad. SHe also has symptoms of BPD but they will not dx a minor with that. I hope that will change like the bp dx has changed.

She has been on med trials for almost 2 years before we found the right combo and doseage to keep her "stable" Please do not give up.

Do you have a therapist you see? That and meds is what helped my daughter. I am 31 and if ever need to talk or vent please feel free to contact me :)

I also have a 3 year old daughter who is "normal".. I put that in quotes because no one knows what "normal" really is :)

Have a sunny day Tammy

Thanks Tammy. My pdoc says he didn't wanna put me in therapy until he got my med combo right. I go back in Aug. and am telling him I want therapy. Husband and I are currently in Marriage counseling and things are coming out in those sessions that need to be addressed on my own. My dx has changed so much it pisses me off, I was doing really good on Trileptal and then he took me off of it. Right now I'm on Lithobid-900mg/day, Wellbutrin XL- 150mg/day, Seroquel-100mg/day and Clonazepam .5mg/PRN for attacks. Then something has become wrong with my stomach so I'm going to a specuialist for that and I just got dx with Hypothyroidism, so needless to say I'm under a ton of stress.  I know what you mean about "normal", that word should be illegal. Everytime my 4yr old throws a fit my husband and I start wondering if he's BP, but I wont dare put him on drugs at this age. Your daughter is really lucky, my parents don't give a rats arse about my dx, no one in my family has even looked up BP to find out what IT even is. So I've had to turn to other resources for advice and support. So thank you very much for listening and for sharing, good luck.

Best Wishes,

Heather

July 25, 2005, 10:09 am CDT

Heather

Thanks Tammy. My pdoc says he didn't wanna put me in therapy until he got my med combo right. I go back in Aug. and am telling him I want therapy. Husband and I are currently in Marriage counseling and things are coming out in those sessions that need to be addressed on my own. My dx has changed so much it pisses me off, I was doing really good on Trileptal and then he took me off of it. Right now I'm on Lithobid-900mg/day, Wellbutrin XL- 150mg/day, Seroquel-100mg/day and Clonazepam .5mg/PRN for attacks. Then something has become wrong with my stomach so I'm going to a specuialist for that and I just got dx with Hypothyroidism, so needless to say I'm under a ton of stress. I know what you mean about "normal", that word should be illegal. Everytime my 4yr old throws a fit my husband and I start wondering if he's BP, but I wont dare put him on drugs at this age. Your daughter is really lucky, my parents don't give a rats arse about my dx, no one in my family has even looked up BP to find out what IT even is. So I've had to turn to other resources for advice and support. So thank you very much for listening and for sharing, good luck.

Best Wishes,

Heather

I can totally relate to family not caring or understanding. My parents who abused me verbally and physically, but who helped me raise my daughter for 6 years thought I was the "crazy" one when I had to have Emily hospitalized for suicidal ideation.

I have to tell you something to discuss with your doctor. It may or may not happen with adults, I know more about the childhood onset. Anyhow Emily was on three different anti-depressants over the last two years. Once that was removed she stabilized. Like I said I know more info about kids so not sure how it affects adults. The more parents I talk to about anti-d's say they are bad news for bipolars. I do not know if they just mean kids or not. But  in my experience with it, is that EMily cycled more, tended to be more irritable and violent while on them. It is certainly something to look at.

Now that she is off them she says of herself, she seems more happy, and can "feel" again. She says while on them she didn't feel anything.
I over annalyze my 3 year old too. I know what you mean about meds and kids. All I can say is if I didn't give meds to Emily she would still be kicking my ass day ina nd day out so I didn't have a choice. :)

Have a blessed day and check it out about the anti-d's

I will try and look up articles about it and post the webpage here.

Tammy

July 25, 2005, 10:10 am CDT

ps Heather

When you ask for therapy, please ask for cognitive behavioral therapy. It is what a few of us here think is what really helps.

Do not feel bad for having so many dx. The more I learn the more I realize if you have bp, you have something else to go along with it.

Tam

July 25, 2005, 10:13 am CDT

Tammy

Hi, first off welcome to the board. Please be patient with us as we are all having a hard time adjusting to the new boards.

I am so sorry for what you have been through in life.

Have you expressed all of these concerns to your therapist?

My daughter was sexually abused and the only therapy that helped her was cognitive behavioral therapy. Does your therapist do that? You may want to ask, if he/she doesn't maybe they could direct you to someone who does. my daughter went through about a dozen therapists until we found this one. I am not saying she doesn't have bad days but she really started healing when this therapist started working with her.

Lithium can be a great medication as long as you have the blood levels monitored.

I personally do not have experience with it, but the website I post on has alot of children that have been given this and from what I remember seem to be doing good but have to have blood levels checked.

You may already have to have that with your meds. Have you ever tried Depakote?

My daughter is on depakote and risperdal.

I know she has trouble sleeping too and we give her the risperdal before bed becuase it makes her sleepy.

I hope you find some answers here, please keep posting. I will be as supportive as I can.

Tammy

Thank you.

I can't tell you how hopeless and helpless I feel sometimes. Its like a squatter has moved into my head and set up shop, and when you try to evict them you find out they know the judge and you're stuck with them until they decide to leave.

What exactly is cognitive therapy and how does it work? I see a psychologist once a week, and my psyhcyhiatrist twice a month now that my meds are off. I also go to physical therapy twice a week because I have fibromyalgia, and when I was pregnant for my son, it was high risk from the start because I am not supposed to be able to carry to term. I was on bed rest from the beginning because of contractions and ended up wearing a terbutaline pump and finally the last three weeks in the hospital. It weakened some muscles in my back, caused others to tighten up and they can be very painful. We are working on getting them stretched out and strengthened up again. So I get my exercise in with the sessions and my exercises assigned for homework.

As far as meds I have not had Depakote before. What is Risperdal for? I am open to any suggestions that will help my head to stop going in a thousand directions at once, doing nothing, and getting nowhere fast. Have you ever felt like you're going full speed, you've just lost your brakes, and you're headed straight for a brick wall? Not a pretty picture huh? That is how anxious I have been lately, and irritable, good lord I have been so aggravated I can't stand myself! 

I really appreciate your help. This is a fight I refuse to loose. I have gotten too far I finally know what is wrong and I know it is not something that is my fault. I want to be able to live.  

July 25, 2005, 10:39 am CDT

Angel

The symptoms you are descrining is what my daughter described while on anti-d. I think you should really talk tothem about that.

I found this on a webpage regarding bp meds:

Wellbutrin include an increase in seizures , blurred vision, dry mouth, agitation, insomnia, changes in heart beats, tremors, and headaches.

Sometimes the side effects are worse than the reason the med was given int he first place.

Here is some info on the use of a-d:

http://www.psycheducation.org/bipolar/controversy.htm

** Antidepressant drugs must be used with caution as they can induce mania in some bipolar patients. 

Riseprdal is an anti-psychotic med.

What are antipsychotic medications?

Antipsychotic medications are used to control psychotic symptoms, such as hallucinations or delusions, that sometimes occur in very severe depressive or manic episodes.

Antipsychotics can be used in 2 additional ways in bipolar disorder, even if no psychotic symptoms are present. They may be used as sedatives, especially during early stages of treatment, for insomnia, anxiety, and agitation. Researchers also believe that the newer atypical antipsychotic medications have mood stabilizing properties, and may help control depression and mania. Antipsychotic medications are therefore often added to mood stabilizers to improve the response in patients
who have never had psychotic symptoms. Antipsychotics may also be used alone as mood stabilizers when patients cannot tolerate or do not respond to any of the mood stabilizers.

I don't think you will be able to read that so here is the link for this article:

http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/bipolar/treatment/medications_2.asp

That will get you started on reading LOL

Anyhow I have to stop and go back and read your post so I can see if I missed anything.

My daughter was started on risperdal to ease her aggresion, it never really worked until her anti-d was taken away.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR... do not do anything until you talk to yours. Bring it up to him as a question. Some docs do not like people who think they are smarter LOL

Just say you have been reading and your wondering.

I may have to post again if I didn;t answer everything

Tammy

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last