Message Boards

Topic : Bipolar Disorder

Number of Replies: 6639
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:57:16 am
Author : dataimport

Patients suffering from Bipolar disorder face many difficult challenges. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages. You can also find more help on our General and Mental Health Resources page

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 10:41 am CDT

Angel part 2

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy...
is a form of psychotherapy that emphasizes the important role of thinking in how we feel and what we do.  Cognitive-behavioral therapist teach that when our brains are healthy, it is our thinking that causes us to feel and act the way we do.  Therefore, if we are experiencing unwanted feelings and behaviors, it is important to identify the thinking that is causing the feelings / behaviors and to learn how to replace this thinking with thoughts that lead to more desirable reactions

here is the link where I got this from:

http://www.nacbt.org/whatiscbt.htm

and another

http://www.anxietynetwork.com/hcbt.html

Tell me what you think. I will try and get you more info if you so desire. I do not want to pummel you with info if its too much.

Tammy

my emailis mommaoof2@yahoo.com

if you need it :)

July 25, 2005, 11:06 am CDT

WOW! Thanks for warning about the dragon...

Quote From: angel1002

Thank you.

I can't tell you how hopeless and helpless I feel sometimes. Its like a squatter has moved into my head and set up shop, and when you try to evict them you find out they know the judge and you're stuck with them until they decide to leave.

What exactly is cognitive therapy and how does it work? I see a psychologist once a week, andmy psyhcyhiatrist twice a month now that my meds are off. I also go to physical therapy twice a week because I have fibromyalgia, and when I was pregnant for my son, it was high risk from the start because I am not supposed to be able to carry to term. I was on bed rest from the beginning because of contractionsand ended up wearing a terbutaline pump and finally the last three weeks in the hospital. It weakened some muscles in my back, causedothers to tighten up andthey can bevery painful. We are working on getting them stretched out and strengthened up again. So I get my exercise in with the sessions and my exercises assigned for homework.

As far as meds I have not had Depakote before. What is Risperdal for? I am open to any suggestions that will help my head to stop going in a thousand directions at once, doing nothing, and getting nowherefast. Have you ever felt like you're going full speed, you've just lost your brakes, and you're headed straight for a brick wall? Not a pretty picture huh? That is how anxious I have been lately, and irritable, good lord I have been so aggravated I can't stand myself!

I really appreciate your help. This is a fight I refuse to loose. I have gotten too far I finally know what is wrong and I know it is not somethingthat is my fault. I want to be able to live.

Nice pictures to complement warning... Exercising so your brain gets more oxygen often helps. Avoiding too much sodium. Avoiding too much sugar and caffeine too. Healthy Habits often equals Healthy Lifestyle. You are VERY talented adding graphics to your posts. Be Blessed, PollyAnna

July 25, 2005, 11:30 am CDT

Been there too...

Quote From: tammyo1973

I can totally relate to family not caring or understanding. My parents who abused me verbally and physically, but who helped me raise my daughter for 6 years thought I was the "crazy" one when I had to have Emily hospitalized for suicidal ideation.

I have to tell you something to discuss with your doctor. It may or may not happen with adults, I know more about the childhood onset. Anyhow Emily was on three different anti-depressants over the last two years. Once that was removed she stabilized. Like I said I know more info about kids so not sure how it affects adults. The more parents I talk to about anti-d's say they are bad news for bipolars. I do not know if they just mean kids or not. But in my experience with it, is that EMily cycled more, tended to be more irritable and violent while on them. It is certainly something to look at.

Now that she is off them she says of herself, she seems more happy, and can "feel" again. She says while on them she didn't feel anything.
I over annalyze my 3 year old too. I know what you mean about meds and kids. All I can say is if I didn't give meds to Emily she would still be kicking my ass day ina nd day out so I didn't have a choice. :)

Have a blessed day and check it out about the anti-d's

I will try and look up articles about it and post the webpage here.

Tammy

When I was 15 I was dx'd with ADHD and clinical depresssion. They told my mom to give me Ritlin and some anti-depressant. I took them and got much worse so my mom stopped giving them to me. Then I tried to cut my wrists and my mother, bandaged them up and acted like nothing ever happend. Never took me back to the dr again. Anti-depressants are almost dangerous for children and teens, they should be monitored closely. I see people putting 3 and 4 yr olds on meds and I'm like damn, give em time to develop some first. If nothing changes by 10 or their teens then try getting help, meds or therapy or both. They put me on Wellbutrin 6 weeks before my 2nd child was born, I went nuts. At the time, we didn't get it, but it threw me manic. Finally I got a pdoc to see that there was more than depression going on. Do you have BP too pr just Emily? Does anyone else in your family have it? They say it's genetic but I am the first to be dx'd in my family. There's some other mental illness in my family just not BP. When it threw me manic, we were at wal-mart, and this lady hit the back of my foot with her cart and I about layed her out, right there in the vaccum cleaner isle. My husband was like thats it! You're going to a pdoc cause something is wrong with you, and he was right. I get very irritable and mean too when something bugs me, I have very little patience for everything except my kids. Well the baby's up so I'll bbl,thanks, take care!!!

Heather

July 25, 2005, 11:43 am CDT

hnm

Hi, no I do not have bipolar. I did suffer from post partum depression with my baby now 3.

There doesn't need to be a bp dx in the family, usually they ask about any type of depression, alcoholism, drug use, suicide.

I do not know EMily's dads side of the family so have not a clue about what is going on there.

My grandpa on dads side dies when dad was 3 months old and they never kept in touch ith his family so no one knows whats happening there. My dad drank alot and was abusive toward my younger brother and myself. My therapist says he has issuses that were never addressed.

So to answer your question, my daughter is the only one who has been officially dx with bipolar.

She was abused and abandonded by her dad (more than once). traumatic experience can throw a person predisposed to have bp get thrown into it.

July 25, 2005, 12:45 pm CDT

Tammy

Quote From: tammyo1973

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy...
is a form of psychotherapy that emphasizes the important role of thinking in how we feel and what we do. Cognitive-behavioral therapist teach that when our brains are healthy, it is our thinking that causes us to feel and act the way we do. Therefore, if we are experiencing unwanted feelings and behaviors, it is important to identify the thinking that is causing the feelings / behaviors and to learn how to replace this thinking with thoughts that lead to more desirable reactions

here is the link where I got this from:

http://www.nacbt.org/whatiscbt.htm

and another

http://www.anxietynetwork.com/hcbt.html

Tell me what you think. I will try and get you more info if you so desire. I do not want to pummel you with info if its too much.

Tammy

my emailis mommaoof2@yahoo.com

if you need it :)

Thank you so much.  I really need someone else who understands what I am going through. I don't really have a support group other than my hubby, a handful of online friends, and a handful of face to face friends. For what I have I am grateful. But I can use all the support I can get, thank you for helping me and offering to be there for me.

I can't really talk to my mom about it because I think she has bipolar only untreated as she refuses to see anyone about it. I refuse to speak or even see my aunt or uncle. Anyone who can smile while they punish a child is sick. I had a bunch of mis matched luggage dumped on me by them, with no clue other than getting angry and yelling about it, what to do with it. I bought into their disipline garbage for so long. Even though I heard the commercials on TV, even though I heard about it in school, I fell for it hook line and sinker, I was a bad kid, thats all there was to it.

Thats ok though, they have theirs coming. They have to answer to a higher power one of these days and boy are they in for a surprise when St Peter pulls the lever and down they go.  To see the looks on their faces! Now that would be priceless!

I see my therapist on Wednesday, I am going to ask him about this cognitive therapy. The Schizo-affective Disorder and the Anxiety drive me absolutly batty when they get out of hand. Not to mention my family. It is so hard not to feel guilty and responsible for the what I am going through right now. I honestly feel sometimes that if I just tried hard enough, it would go away. But I know that comes from the way I was raised, abused, however you want to call it.

Thanks for the links and addy! I think I will take you up on that!

July 25, 2005, 2:04 pm CDT

angel

No problem. Thats why you came to the boards :)

Thats why I am here.

I may not have all the answers but I can give you my advise opinion and support

have a sunny evening Tam

July 25, 2005, 2:13 pm CDT

pollyanna

Quote From: pollyanna

Nice pictures to complement warning... Exercising so your brain gets more oxygen often helps. Avoiding too much sodium. Avoiding too much sugar and caffeine too. Healthy Habits often equals Healthy Lifestyle. You are VERY talented adding graphics to your posts. Be Blessed, PollyAnna

Thank you for the compliment!  We have made alot of adjustments in our diets like switching to whole grain breads, from margarine to light no sodium butter,  and I stopped drinking cokes altogether because the Topamax completely changed they way they taste. OMG they taste awful now! So I drink alot of Raspberry Ice Crystal Light, and I switched out sugar for Splenda in my tea, and I drink alot of water with lemon and Splenda. I left my tea caffenated though. It is the only thing that is left that has to go (for me I would not make my hubby give that up unless he wanted too). They said I could keep one! LOL I was drinking Mountain Dew all the time before. So it was a pretty good compromise if I do say so myself.  We have also switched from hamburger meat to ground turkey meat because it is so much leaner and we grill most of our meats or bake, and broil. I eat alot more veggies now too. Of course living in the south I still love my deep fried foods, but we only do them every now and then, and we use canola oil. The funny thing is they are mostly veggies. I really wish though that this was easier to deal with. Most of the time I just worry about what is around the next bend.

July 25, 2005, 5:16 pm CDT

Hi everyone !!!!!

Hi everyone i  went to the Dr. today for some treatments hopefully it will defuse me soon later.

July 25, 2005, 5:24 pm CDT

Angel1002

horseHi there angel love the pic of the unicorn .chat later if anyone is up to it .later cathy

July 25, 2005, 5:29 pm CDT

HI POLLYANA

Quote From: pollyanna

Hi there polyana i agree beautiful graphics angel 1002 had.I read where it says thanks for the warning of the dragon ,and it stuck me funny because i posted about my dragon earlier today.thought you were thanking me about the warning my dragon had a cold .LOL.anyhow chat later.cathyhorse

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last