Message Boards

Topic : Bipolar Disorder

Number of Replies: 6639
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:57:16 am
Author : dataimport

Patients suffering from Bipolar disorder face many difficult challenges. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages. You can also find more help on our General and Mental Health Resources page

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 24, 2005, 9:21 am CDT

Kathy

Sorry to hear that you are going through so may problems. I hope things work out between the two of you. good luck with the losing weight thing. I've lost a little the past few days, but it has to do with stress and what's going on - not being able to eat, sleep etc. and not anything else, because I don't think I've done any more exercise than before, and that's what I need to do is get more active. I've gotten my upstsairs of the house pretty clean though. Best of luck.

Kalie

July 24, 2005, 9:32 am CDT

I can totally relate

What I hate is the fact that other people who have not experienced any kind of mental health problems do not understand people like me whodo not handle every day stress. I get so stressed out that I will cry all day think about suicide as a way out from feeling so stressed. I become unfunctional. That is why I have had so many jobs and landed in the hospital. And I get the attitude from some people that I can control my bipolar. Well I can take medication, which I do, but when my life starts to get out off balance that is just like throwing fuel on a fire and not expect it to to flame up! It upsets me that everyday stress affects me this way, but how do you keep it from happening. Med's help to a certain point, but what to due when the meds dont help? Ya they say exercise, but when you feel so depressed you cant get out of bed, how are you suppose to put workout clothes on and go for a walk or whatever. And when I have gone for a walk to get my mind off things I think more about them walking. What is there to do when you walk but think! Then I have to pretend Im find around people because they wont understand. Then my husband who is a long haul trucker and only home 4 days a month;I cannt tell him all the time how I feel because it scares him and makes him feel crappy because he cant be here with me. So Im alone in my depression, since there is no support groups in this crappy town I live in. So Im trying the best I can do but sometimes it is not good enough.

Hi 4deena,

Not sure if you're new to the board, but WELCOME.

I can totally relate to EVERYTHING you've said except my husband is not a long haul trucker. I was a "newbie" (new to this mssg board) not long ago & the best advice someone gave me was that this is a place you can come to any time of the day (or night). Feel free to say what you feel & none of us will judge you. When I think I'm the only one feeling this way I find out there are others out there experiencing the same feelings.   

I get so upset when TV programs say murders & rapists are bipolar. THEN Tom Cruise said what he did about Brooke Shield's post partum depression & "mental illness" in general. I don't know about every body else but I have to rely on my pdoc to help me through these roller coaster ways of the daily life of being bp & having a husband who's also bp.

I might not post very often but I do enjoy reading each & every one of these mssgs.

God bless you Deena & all of us on the board,

Kathy

July 24, 2005, 1:53 pm CDT

4deena

What I hate is the fact that other people who have not experienced any kind of mental health problems do not understand people like me whodo not handle every day stress. I get so stressed out that I will cry all day think about suicide as a way out from feeling so stressed. I become unfunctional. That is why I have had so many jobs and landed in the hospital. And I get the attitude from some people that I can control my bipolar. Well I can take medication, which I do, but when my life starts to get out off balance that is just like throwing fuel on a fire and not expect it to to flame up! It upsets me that everyday stress affects me this way, but how do you keep it from happening. Med's help to a certain point, but what to due when the meds dont help? Ya they say exercise, but when you feel so depressed you cant get out of bed, how are you suppose to put workout clothes on and go for a walk or whatever. And when I have gone for a walk to get my mind off things I think more about them walking. What is there to do when you walk but think! Then I have to pretend Im find around people because they wont understand. Then my husband who is a long haul trucker and only home 4 days a month;I cannt tell him all the time how I feel because it scares him and makes him feel crappy because he cant be here with me. So Im alone in my depression, since there is no support groups in this crappy town I live in. So Im trying the best I can do but sometimes it is not good enough.
Hi i just wanted to ask you what type of depression do you have is it bipolar or depression i know bipolar is a form of depression like PPD.there is a depression board too if you need it they are great over there too.thats where i post alot.good luck .cathy.PS MY NAME IS SPELLED WITH A CNOT A K LIKE SOME POST AND IT CAN BE CONFUSING BECAUSE THERE IS ANOTHER KATHY ON THIS BOARD.

July 24, 2005, 3:00 pm CDT

Upcoming show...............

Hey..did everyone see that Dr. Phil is doing a show on mental illness?  Everyone should submit that they would go on the show. 

I still think there should be a weight loss/mental illness show.  To help us all feel better about our total selves.  If you agree, send in your thoughts and story.  :o)

July 24, 2005, 4:20 pm CDT

Why?

Someone sent me the following tidbits, thought they might make you smile too.

WHY??

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our
ankle with a shopping cart then apologizes for doing
so, why do we say, "It's all right?"

Well, it isn't all right so why don't we say, "That
hurt, you stupid idiot?"

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we
know the batteries are getting weak?

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times
with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it
up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum
one more chance?

Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when
they know there is not enough?

Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator
with hopes that something new to eat will have
materialized?

If at first you don't succeed, shouldn't you try doing
it like your wife told you to do it?

There were lots of them but these were my favorites.

Kathy

July 24, 2005, 5:42 pm CDT

I will sign EMily and myself up :)

Hey..did everyone see that Dr. Phil is doing a show on mental illness? Everyone should submit that they would go on the show.

I still think there should be a weight loss/mental illness show. To help us all feel better about our total selves. If you agree, send in your thoughts and story. :o)

I will go sign up will let you know if I hear anything

Tam

July 24, 2005, 5:56 pm CDT

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm struggling a little tonight....my mood is starting to spiral down and the sad thing is that I don't even care.  I'm tired of fighting my own emotional turmoil.  Maybe it's o.k. to be sad and lonely? 

July 24, 2005, 6:02 pm CDT

faith I am so sorry

I'm struggling a little tonight....my mood is starting to spiral down and the sad thing is that I don't even care. I'm tired of fighting my own emotional turmoil. Maybe it's o.k. to be sad and lonely?

I am so sorry your rollercoaster is dipping again.

I do not have any advise other than take care of yourself and you have my email me if you need me.

Love and hugs Tammy

July 24, 2005, 8:44 pm CDT

Thanks Tammy!!

I am so sorry your rollercoaster is dipping again.

I do not have any advise other than take care of yourself and you have my email me if you need me.

Love and hugs Tammy

Even the rollercoaster image helps....I'll soon be heading up hill again.  I just need to learn to lift my arms up and enjoy the ride.  I still tend to grip on with all my might thinking I'm going to crash.  I keep forgetting that God is indeed in control of the ride.  :o)

July 24, 2005, 8:51 pm CDT

later everyone!!!

hey all later.cathy

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last