Message Boards

Topic : Bipolar Disorder

Number of Replies: 6639
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:57:16 am
Author : dataimport

Patients suffering from Bipolar disorder face many difficult challenges. Share your story and get support from those who understand.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages. You can also find more help on our General and Mental Health Resources page

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 14, 2006, 3:31 pm CST

doctor visit

hi, mensan I went to my doc. finally today and put me on Lithium again, slow release twice a day. he said I should see results in a week or so, lets hope so?

March 14, 2006, 3:43 pm CST

I hope so

Quote From: mom031980

hi, mensan I went to my doc. finally today and put me on Lithium again, slow release twice a day. he said I should see results in a week or so, lets hope so?
I'll bet you start feeling better very soon. Let us know how it goes. I would have bet that with your symptoms the doctor would put you on lithium. I hope it works. I know you need slowing down. We'll be waiting to hear.

March 14, 2006, 4:30 pm CST

Can someone help me?!

Hello everone,I am very new to this and am a little nervous. Um I was hopeing someone could help me with some questions. I have a mother-in-law who moved in with us almost seven years ago,I don't have the "normal" mil problems no ,no, I have weird mil problems I could spend all day boring you with stories, but to spare her feelings I won't do that but I will share some just because I amso sure she needs help and I can't get her to help her self. I am Sorry if this is confussing ok see she has these emotional ups and downs,there are times when I feel as if I have a 7,5,and a 4 year olds when accually I have a 7 and 4 year  old! She fights with them like she is a child for instance my for year old (He turns 4 mar 28) got mad at her and said you can't come to my birthday, she got very upset as a child would and wouldn't talk to him then later came out and asked if she could please come to his party, I accually had to sit down my 63 year old mil and explain to her that he was three and trying to get what he wanted out of her.And at this time his birthday was over a month away and he would forget before it was his birthday she just looked at me like she didn't understand.that is a mild example.a few weeks eariler we found out we were expecting a baby,she had picked the boys up from daycare early to help us with expences I came home from work and my whole counter top from one end to the other was covered with dried red kool-aid! the boys were thirsty she didn't get them any thing so they apparantly made them selfs kool-aid. the next day I went in her room very mad and said the stuff to clean the bathroom is set up in there for you I would like it done by the time mike gets home she acted as if I were not there! So I went in the kitchen finished cooling down and getting the rest of the kool-aid up, I felt bad about how I talked to her so I went in her room again I toled her in a calmer voice you'll have to excuse me for being short  But I am very fusterated that you picked the boys up early and didn't watch them and I just spent 3 hours cleaning up kool-aid! So please can you have the restroom clean befor mike comes home?! I kid you not that was at about  12 or 1 o'clock she did not come out of her room for nothing not to use the restroom,not for a drink not even to smoke! So at about 7:00pm I finally did the bathroom my self. 

I went into her room to tell her that she didn't have to worry about it,and Also chose to tell her I was very concerned about her and that I felt she needed to get help! she asked me why I said because it is not normal to shut down like she did just because she didn't want to clean! she gave the excuse thatshe wasn't thirsty,didn't want a cig and didn't need to use the restroom. Which I might have believed if  this was not a regular thing. which I brought up and she tolled me it didn't matter because we didn't have room for her any more I said what?! she claimed we didn't have room for her anymore because we were having a new baby! I didn't know what to say much less what to do. I walked out and shut the door as my eyes filled with tears I hadexpected this fight possibley with my 7 Or 4 year old but not from my 63 yearold mil. She lives alot in the past to this day what ever happened with my husbands father hurt her so bad she gets very agitated when asked about him. 

so not only does my husband not have a father but my boys are out a grand father! there was even a time about 2 years ago the doctors needed to know about his fathers medical history because my son has some medical conditions and she says she'll think and try to rember and then when asked later in the month will make excuses why she didn't have time to rember then change the subject to something that is going on in hollywood! 

I guess what I am asking my husband says she is an undiagnoised bi-polar. I don't  know anything about the diorder and to me yeah there are times I know that samething is not right with her how ever I don't seem to think it is that serious in fact sometimes I just feel that she is down right selfish.please I know your only geting my discribsion of her and probley not a good one at that, I don't think she is a danger to anyone but her self and even then she wouldn't have the guts to like hurt her self by cutting or stuff like that her way is but not eating,drinking, useing the restroom,is that enough for someone to help us get her help? She goes to the doctor but  last time the doctor did bloodwork tolled her to come back this month be cause he  wanted to discuss the depression she won't go back now! 

I do care about her even though some times I just want to beat some kind of careing into her,i am at a lost. any ideas are welcome! 

thankyou in advance. 

mt 

March 14, 2006, 5:53 pm CST

poor message to public

Hello, I've been pondering the show on Bipolar, in fact I taped it and reviewed it with the same reaction.  First I feel getting information out to the public is important regarding bipolar or any mental illness for that matter.  But I do believe that this show did not explain many issues, those of us must endure to cope.  The endless trial and error with medications and endless therapy.  It is not supriseing that many of us give up on the medical professionals as well as giving up on our own lives.  The financial burden that this illness puts upon our families.  The attitude of society in general regarding this illness.  We can't hold jobs.  Our family life is in disarray.  Our children suffer.  We push away the very people that we need in our lives to survive.  Dr. Phil's show just seemed to enhance the gap between us and our communities.  I would hurt myself before I physically hurt anyone.  Yes, the verbal abuse is there.  The mood swings, depression episodes and the out of control episodes happen at a whim for no reason at all.  It makes us angry.  We are not given answers as to why this is happening to us.  This show will make more people afraid of us.  How many will think that we just don't follow through with medication and therapy.  I have been on more medications than I can count.  I have continued therapy for 15 years.  I have stopped my medication only once when I lost support from the state which lead to hospitalization and ECT's.  Drastic and expensive mesures just to continue on the same road.   My medications are over $500.00 a month.  I see a therapist 1x a week and have been hospitalized more times than I can count.  I live on social security disability, my husband can only make so much and if he makes more than the limited amount we lose all help financially.  There is no jobs to be had, with a high school education, in a small tourist industry that will make the kind of money needed for my health care. I'm so upset that these issues were not brought out in the show.  I'm upset that the real fact is most of us are left on our own.  Our family members have all but given up on us.  We are feared.  The stigma is overwhelming.  The financial burden is enough to put a "normal" person over the edge.  Why would anyone question our thoughts and sometimes actions of suicide when there is not much hope.  It is a living hell to live with this disease. There are issues of other illness we suffer.  Thyroid disease, high blood pressure, panic attacks, high stress, anxiety attacks, insomina.  There is the problem of medications side effects that are sometimes worse than the disorder.  The medical profession is still in the dark on the causes and the cure.  There is not enough money going into research.  The government put restraints on help for us.  We are uninsurable in the private sector.  Our family members avoid us as well as "friends".  Most of us are treated by doctors and professionals that are not at top of their profession.  We frankly can't afford the best and medicare and medicaid will not pay for the best.  What are we to do?  Dr. Phil's show could have and should have pointed out all the walls we run into in order to get good care.  the endless trial and error of the medications we must take, side effects, the financial burden, and the stigma that is attached to this disease not to mention the fact that there is not cure.  I do not beat my children, I take my medications, I go to therapy every week and I still live in a black hole.  I'm still suicidal many days.  And I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I did not ask for this disorder.  But I'm asking for compassion and caring from my communtity, family and friends.  I need help from my state and federal government and all have let me down.  I need better health care that is affordable, informed and up to date with the advances in this illness.  These issues should have been raised in the airing of this show.  It should not be all about ratings in the show biz industry.  This is a serious life threatening diesase that affects so many people and families.  I would ask that there would be a follow up show pointing out all the aspects of this horrible mental illness.  Am I the only one who feels this way.  This is important for all of us whom suffer any mental illness.  Please put all the issues out there. 

March 14, 2006, 6:09 pm CST

Bipolar Disorder

Quote From: lollypop

i really have to write a letter for you.  man i keep forgetting.
Beka

Your so correct!  We need the message out there loud and clear.  we need our society to understand and not fear us.  We need more information out to the public. ALL the issues we face need to be aired.  More positive than negative stories told.  Not just the shame and guilt stories we all have.  It is not the total picture and does not help our cause or situation.   

ucimhappy (yes, that is my handle.  I try!) 

March 15, 2006, 11:05 am CST

Bipolar Disorder

Hello everyone. i saw the show on bi polar. i thought it was interesting that dr. phil said it takes 8-10 years for some to be diagnosed with bi polar. i tend to disagree. it took me 3 years only after all the anti depressants were causing me to go crazy. literlly. anyway. i dont think it showed bi polar in a good way. what do you all think. I would hurt my self before i hurt someone else. like that one person choking her kid. any way been depressed side of bi polar for a bit and cant seem to get out of it. went to dr. and gave me more of my anxiety drug. This winter sure has been a tough one this year. i am looking foward to summer. things seem to be alittle bit better then. hope you all are doing good.  

Blaze  

March 15, 2006, 12:32 pm CST

Show on Highs and Lows

I suffer from Bipolar II disorder, and wanted to tape the show but unfortunately forgot. I did read the brief synopsis on the website about it though. I was hoping he would have had some advice for the woman who yells and rages at her kids, because I am also that woman. I went through a period of almost 3 years of instability after a head injury (occuring 5 yrs after my diagnosis) and after starting lithium, have remained relatively stable for a year now - a total blessing. The thing is, I still get very angry over the smallest things, I find myself yelling and screaming at the kids and my husband, and acting like a child, all the while thining "why am I doing this?" but not being able to stop myself. I went for counseling for this, but I am afraid to tell them that yes I have hit my children (something I always said I would NEVER do, being abused by a mother who, not surprisingly, also suffered from the disorder) and yes, I do yell at them and scare them. I don't want my kids taken from me - I want help!!   

The only thing that came out of counseling was the advice to install a punching bag in my home, or to get a gym membership. I don't want to get the aggression out, I want to prevent it! 

Can someone help or identify with this? 

Charlene 

March 15, 2006, 12:33 pm CST

My Buzzing Brain!

I was told I was crazy for as long as I can  remember. But NOT by my folks. I was adopted, my birth folks did drink and do drugs. My problems are stacked. Yes I am Bypolar with rapid cycling, A/D/H/D manic highs and lows with personality disorder,also I have food algeries. Wow I hate me I have an okay IQ but cannot keep myself in line. I take a lot of meds and still spirial out of order all the time. I freak out scream and feel the world is out to get me most of the time. I am 47 fat due to over 25 surgerys. None on my brain though. tons of head injurys too. I cannot always tell if I am going to have an episode it at times sneeks up and flys out of controll. I used  hatefull words when I was younger but now its nearly turned into self destructive crap. All about 1/2 of me being smart then not being able to work due to this that I have. Its a load to carry. I have been in trouble with the law over dumb things and the cops accuse me of being a skitz! I am all but that. I am very lonely I had 3 great friends that I ahve known for over 20 years that grew up with me and did understand that I was different. But nearly 2 years ago 2 of them died 2 days apart. I have one left and she has MS. I hope I die before she does or I will never make it. Yes I have 2 kids One daughter 26 and one son 21. They each have 4 kids.I never see my son his girlfriend does not like me so I have only seen him 2 times in 3 years. I am living with my daughter right now taking her kids to and from school and daycare 4 times a day Mon-Thur. I am physically disabled due to all the surgerys and fat but mainly my brain!

March 15, 2006, 12:45 pm CST

Info!!! And Me!

If you are taking Lithium that is mainly for skitz... Try Depakote 250 ml. I also use prozac 20 ml. My self I take depakote 4 a day and prozac twice a day also I take at night seraquil 100 ml. Lithium got me where my weight was awful then I had a lot of neck back and knee surgerys etc. but none on my brain. I have never had an mri that could show me what the areas are that are affected are. My mind does in fact run faster than I can type and I get ahead of myself all the time also I have an awful time of it when it comes to short term memory. I am often called a lier because I truly forgot something. I have whats called in home care to assist me only a couple of hours a day ofr the things I forget and need like reminders daily of to take my meds. But yes at time I hate them so much that I feel like a dull robot on them and its either that or freak out all the time I also use zanax 2 ml. for my panic attacks I get so bad its nasty I sweat so badly during an attack of that sort I drip...ugg!

March 15, 2006, 12:50 pm CST

Howdy!

Quote From: charsage

I suffer from Bipolar II disorder, and wanted to tape the show but unfortunately forgot. I did read the brief synopsis on the website about it though. I was hoping he would have had some advice for the woman who yells and rages at her kids, because I am also that woman. I went through a period of almost 3 years of instability after a head injury (occuring 5 yrs after my diagnosis) and after starting lithium, have remained relatively stable for a year now - a total blessing. The thing is, I still get very angry over the smallest things, I find myself yelling and screaming at the kids and my husband, and acting like a child, all the while thining "why am I doing this?" but not being able to stop myself. I went for counseling for this, but I am afraid to tell them that yes I have hit my children (something I always said I would NEVER do, being abused by a mother who, not surprisingly, also suffered from the disorder) and yes, I do yell at them and scare them. I don't want my kids taken from me - I want help!!   

The only thing that came out of counseling was the advice to install a punching bag in my home, or to get a gym membership. I don't want to get the aggression out, I want to prevent it! 

Can someone help or identify with this? 

Charlene 

I feel for you but look deeper you at least have a husband and kids. Thank yourself on that! But dig deeper you will discover that Bypolar is NOT automatically passed from a parent to a kid. I am one of the worst over 27 doctors have seen and they all say its not a gene we inheat so don't allow your kids to use you and say well we got this from you....its not passed on like heart crap etc. Take Care! cjdyer08 

First | Prev | 245 | 246 | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | 253 | 254 | Next | Last